Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59
  1. #41
    Static Guy Xgemina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Midrealm
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post
    Instantaneous travel such as DDoor, Teleport, Word of Recall in quest instances are features of specific classes or ED's. And only available at certain levels or requiring investments/trade offs. (Spell points, use of spell slots, investment in UMD, etc) Providing that ability to all characters at level 1 with no trade offs alters class/build balance. I'd not be for an item you can buy in in the store that gives the LoH ability to any character regardless of class at level 1. Or one that gives Leap of Faith/Abundant Step to any character regardless of class at level 1. Or any other spell, enhancement, feat, etc.

    Those items (key, bottle of mist, boarding pass) are intended for fast travel to get to quests without having to traverse public areas. They are a QoL/convenience item, much like the VIP run speed increase in public areas. Imagine if that worked in quests. That would be unbalancing to the game. I'm fine with an activation time. I'd honestly be fine if none of those 3 worked inside any quests. They probably shouldn't, honestly. But if they do, they should only do so in ways that do not provide combat or other in quest advantages.
    So, you're against instant transportation from a quest - to wit using the boarding pass to maybe escape death in a quest on the hardcore server (notice how specific that sentence is, b/c it's pretty much the only place it's used like that), but totally fine with all the cash items that do provide actual advantages in combat?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Funnily enough, this item started with the exact same induction time as the other teleport items, but when it was swapped over to being a teleport selector in a later patch to support additional destinations, the induction bar fell off of the spellcast. My change simply put the induction bar back to where it was when the item debuted.

    That being said, all of the teleport items are having their induction time halved with this upcoming patch (not just the sharn one), so your mileage may vary
    Well then why didn't y'all just say so in the beginning? Don't sling around stuff like it may cause system issues.

    In the end, thanks for reducing the induction time. Feels like something got through.
    Per Cocomajobo - Ranged has easy access to AOE - apparently 3 feats, BAB 11 and Dex 19 is considered easy access these days. post here

    Dedicated Teams: be part of a larger community.
    You never hear anyone say: "Yeah, but it's a dry cold."
    Adventurers never forget. Adventurers still hate Coyle!

  2. #42
    Systems Designer
    Lynnabel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    game/cdb/effect/effects-property-2.cdb
    Posts
    2,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    please also change the cool down for the Eveningstar key
    This is a teleport item and therefore was included with my change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xgemina View Post
    Well then why didn't y'all just say so in the beginning? Don't sling around stuff like it may cause system issues.
    I did :P More good news is that since that post the induction bar sticking to the screen bug has been fixed, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xgemina View Post
    In the end, thanks for reducing the induction time. Feels like something got through.
    No problemo :)
    Last edited by Lynnabel; 01-23-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

  3. #43
    Squirrel Enthusiast Lokeal_The_Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kordamye
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthrawl View Post
    I could buy what you're selling IF:

    Monks haven't been able to fast recall since inception.

    Inq weren't able to fast recall since inception.

    Wiz/Sorc/anyone with UMD and a scroll can cheese out.

    Leave the boarding pass alone.
    Don't forget: Rod Of Teleport from the DDO store!

    No UMD required!

  4. #44
    Community Member Chacka_DDO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    This is a teleport item and therefore was included with my change.
    He asked for the cool downtime for the Eveningstar key, I wonder if you may miss read it, even if I also hope the cooldown for this key is after U45 also 1 minute and not 30 minutes
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

    "Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

  5. #45
    Systems Designer
    Lynnabel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    game/cdb/effect/effects-property-2.cdb
    Posts
    2,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chacka_DDO View Post
    I wonder if you may miss read it
    Yep, I absolutely did misread that, my bad. No planned changes for the cooldown of the Eveningstar Key, sorry.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

  6. #46
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renvar View Post
    Except that all ranged (except bows) does need a nerf. ...repeater xbow builds as well.
    I feel RXB is the odd man out in the current ranged discussion. It absolutely does need help - not as much as bow, but if it gets totally ignored then it will just end up where bows are now.

    Remember the whole current debate about Inqui hinges around scaling multipliers - things like Dshot and Alacrity and the inherent 2x attack, scaling Law and Sneak die, and then multiplying it again with IPS multi-hits.

    RXB doesnt get all that. Repeater animations dont get any benefit from Attack Speed, so that's essentially an entire stat that's nerfed for them. Used to be they didnt need it, their innate ROF was high enough that they filled the niche of high-ROF ranged without Alacrity - but now, they're not fastest ranged ROF anymore, DXB can put out way more shots/second and throwers will soon, too. Repeaters also are arbitrarily capped at 33% DShot, so that's a second scaling bonus that's severely limited. The *only* scalar that's really useful for RXB is RP, and that's the hardest one to stack. That, and the ability to multihit with IPS - which requires more skill than any other ranged weapon to use IPS well, because the slow cycle time means you need to be very precise when your shots land. But that means the IPS nerf will hurt RXB proportionally more, because they rely on it more as a multiplier. Likewise, the RR nerf hurts them a lot more because reload animation is much bigger part of their attack cycle (and, testing suggests, doesnt really affect DXB animations at all).

    So lets summarize (U45 proposed changes)....

    DXB: 100% RP, 100% Alacrity, 60% DS, 80% IPS, negligible RR nerf
    Thrower: 100% RP, 100% Alacrity, 100% DS, 80% IPS, 100% Dex-extra-shot, no RR nerf
    RXB: 100% RP, 33% DS, 5% Alacrity, 80% IPS, noticeable RR nerf

    See how tough it's going to be to keep RXB relevant later in the game as all those scalars start to stack up? U45 hit hardest all the things that RXB relies on the most.

  7. #47
    Founder Dark_Lord_Mary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    336

    Default

    I do worry that a changed to IPS is throwing the baby out with the bathwater - yes inquisitive is overperforming - but all other ranged is not - especially bows, which historically have been very very far behind. What would a new player who wishes to play a bow using elf - a trope of classic rpg - do when they get smashed by groups of monsters rushing them? How about repeaters which are great in lower levels, and then become unplayable in epics, legendary, and end game as they get swarmed by angry monsters (the only thing sadder than how bad repeaters are in legendary is how fast the robot dog dies - 2 hits and squish.)

    It seems inquisitive was created to bring meaning to light and heavy crossbows, two weapons never used in DDO by anyone, ever. It was also created to provide a motivation for players to purchase the new expansion, it is essentially a new class created for this SSG video game. What then, are they seeking to balance? All of the numbers are made up - there are no real trolls, with real hitpoints - overperform against what? Other players? Certainly nothing real such as a nuclear submarine or a tank, or a polar bear, - they overperform against other pixels, other builds, tempest rangers? warlock? melee clerics? Perhaps they are better then every other class in DDO - well so what? Weren't they designed to overperform to give reason to the light and heavy crossbow and a new class for the Sharn expansion?

    We have a group of very smart people sitting in a room balancing illusionary numbers based on illusionary limits - there are other numbers you can change. If you wish to reduce the DPS by 20% say, why not just increase the hitpoints of Trolls and other monsters by 20% say? There's no nerf then and from a public relations standpoint, nothing is being taken away from the player. In reaper, all monsters gain a % more hitpoints - this would allow SSG to control the power creep in r1-r10 without nerfing anything.

    The funny thing about my suggestion before anyone complains is that SSG does this already - the saving throws of Sharn creatures and every quest created after are massively tweaked up - yet we did not receive a developers letter informing us that monsters have been working out and practicing against magic and now you'll need to add 10-20 points to your DCs to hit them. My legendary sorc casing a fireball cannot hit anything - I see saving throws and most of the mobs have improved evasion. It is extremely frustrating, and yet no one complains.

    What really happens is players seem to look at quest kill counters and complain about anything that beats them. So remove kill counters or fix them to actually take into account who is doing the most DPS, not just stealing the last hit on a mob.

    You see - its perception - and players hate nerfs - so why nerf anything? Just alter everything else that's out of balance and leave the players alone.
    Last edited by Dark_Lord_Mary; 01-23-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    **Master of the Beyond**

  8. #48
    Community Member Bolo_Grubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Yep, I absolutely did misread that, my bad. No planned changes for the cooldown of the Eveningstar Key, sorry.
    Bummer
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

  9. #49
    Community Member Thar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I feel RXB is the odd man out in the current ranged discussion. It absolutely does need help - not as much as bow, but if it gets totally ignored then it will just end up where bows are now.

    Remember the whole current debate about Inqui hinges around scaling multipliers - things like Dshot and Alacrity and the inherent 2x attack, scaling Law and Sneak die, and then multiplying it again with IPS multi-hits.

    RXB doesnt get all that. Repeater animations dont get any benefit from Attack Speed, so that's essentially an entire stat that's nerfed for them. Used to be they didnt need it, their innate ROF was high enough that they filled the niche of high-ROF ranged without Alacrity - but now, they're not fastest ranged ROF anymore, DXB can put out way more shots/second and throwers will soon, too. Repeaters also are arbitrarily capped at 33% DShot, so that's a second scaling bonus that's severely limited. The *only* scalar that's really useful for RXB is RP, and that's the hardest one to stack. That, and the ability to multihit with IPS - which requires more skill than any other ranged weapon to use IPS well, because the slow cycle time means you need to be very precise when your shots land. But that means the IPS nerf will hurt RXB proportionally more, because they rely on it more as a multiplier. Likewise, the RR nerf hurts them a lot more because reload animation is much bigger part of their attack cycle (and, testing suggests, doesnt really affect DXB animations at all).

    So lets summarize (U45 proposed changes)....

    DXB: 100% RP, 100% Alacrity, 60% DS, 80% IPS, negligible RR nerf
    Thrower: 100% RP, 100% Alacrity, 100% DS, 80% IPS, 100% Dex-extra-shot, no RR nerf
    RXB: 100% RP, 33% DS, 5% Alacrity, 80% IPS, noticeable RR nerf

    See how tough it's going to be to keep RXB relevant later in the game as all those scalars start to stack up? U45 hit hardest all the things that RXB relies on the most.
    agree, all ranged is getting a nerf it's just a matter of how much. IPS is big as one usually has it on all the time hitting one mob or if you are lucky to line up a handful a few. it's not like cleave where things line up nice around you to be in range of it.
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

  10. #50
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    This is a teleport item and therefore was included with my change.



    I did :P More good news is that since that post the induction bar sticking to the screen bug has been fixed, too.



    No problemo
    Does that mean, that all teleport scrolls and teleport wands from the store are now slower?
    That would be very unsocial because transfer will be slowed for everyone. On the other side it is not easy to see why shop items still have the advantage
    and expensive expansion gold items not. I personally think that the change is a very bad idea.
    I know lots of players who only bought the expensive expansion gold pack because of the teleport item and the hardcore league.
    Not fair to change that after so long a time for them ecxept when gou give them the possibility to change their pack to a cheaper version?.

    Best regards Tarinia

  11. #51
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarinia View Post
    I know lots of players who only bought the expensive expansion gold pack because of the teleport item and the hardcore league. Not fair to change that -
    Sorry but I have a hard time being sympathetic to their predicament.

    I believe the Sharn Boarding Pass was intended as a mere QoL item, to transport you to Sharn quicker than slogging out there on foot (ie. a non-combat teleport).

    Then players started exploiting that on the Hardcore Server to "evade imminent death" in a way that, while creative, was not how the item was intended to be used (ie. as a combat-teleport).

    If you bought the gold pack for the express purpose of using the Sharn Boarding Pass for the HCL to cheat Death, and didn't consider it was an exploit that would eventually get fixed, well...



    I also wonder now, how many players died during HC because they couldn't afford to buy an exploit? That doesn't seem fair either.

    Maybe consider it an expensive lesson for next HC season - if you see peeps doing something that seems hinky, don't join in.
    Last edited by Fenrisulven7; 01-24-2020 at 02:11 AM.

  12. #52
    Community Member noinfo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarinia View Post
    I know lots of players who only bought the expensive expansion gold pack because of the teleport item and the hardcore league.
    Not fair to change that after so long a time for them ecxept when gou give them the possibility to change their pack to a cheaper version?.

    Best regards Tarinia
    Then its lucky that they did not change it during the Hardcore League then.
    Milacias of Kyber

    Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

    The Myth- TR will make my character powerful
    The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

  13. #53
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    714

    Default

    I believe the Sharn Boarding Pass was intended as a mere QoL item, to transport you to Sharn quicker than slogging out there on foot (ie. a non-combat teleport).

    Then players started exploiting that on the Hardcore Server to "evade imminent death" in a way that, while creative, was not how the item was intended to be used (ie. as a combat-teleport).

    Hey Lynnabel, there's an idea:

    Isn't there some kind of flag (don't hit me) to set items to only work in public areas and not dungeon areas?

    Maybe tie the Sharn Boarding Pass to that, instead of increasing the recall time.


    Also: Kobold Player Race (nudge nudge)

  14. #54
    Community Member Hara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    96

    Default Leave my sharn boarding pass alone

    If some Vip is cheating on the HC server why should I be inconvenienced on live, simply disable the ticket for the HC server, problem solved. The eveningstar key is a pain in the rear end, its timeout is ridiculous and annoying when after using you realise you forgot something on the ship.

    I couldn't care less about the HC server, I'm not a Vip, and even if I was there is no way I would play on a perma death server with the lag that this game suffers from.

  15. #55
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Iam playing permadeath since 10 years and teleport items or DD scrolls were never seen as an exploit because they are also part of pen&paper- so I don´t see your point here.
    SSG sold a teleport item with their gold pack and in retrospective said something about what they wanted to sell in reality.
    In normal live a buyer from a product could then ask to return their product.

    But MOST IMPORTANTLY you could always buy a teleport rod at the store who is also an exploit in your opinion? Not in SSGs because they
    allowed the store on Hardcoreserver especially to make money. For buyers of the gold pack they have now to buy the teleport rod in the store again- that in my opinion is just making more money instead of balancing things out.


    Best regards Tarinia

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    Sorry but I have a hard time being sympathetic to their predicament.

    I believe the Sharn Boarding Pass was intended as a mere QoL item, to transport you to Sharn quicker than slogging out there on foot (ie. a non-combat teleport).

    Then players started exploiting that on the Hardcore Server to "evade imminent death" in a way that, while creative, was not how the item was intended to be used (ie. as a combat-teleport).

    If you bought the gold pack for the express purpose of using the Sharn Boarding Pass for the HCL to cheat Death, and didn't consider it was an exploit that would eventually get fixed, well...



    I also wonder now, how many players died during HC because they couldn't afford to buy an exploit? That doesn't seem fair either.

    Maybe consider it an expensive lesson for next HC season - if you see peeps doing something that seems hinky, don't join in.

  16. #56
    Staggering LightBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Letters of Lingo
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    So, that said.


    Will we see a Fey Sorc as iconic race?

  17. #57
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarinia View Post
    Iam playing permadeath since 10 years and teleport items or DD scrolls were never seen as an exploit because they are also part of pen&paper- so I don´t see your point here.

    Read again more carefully. I never said the teleport and dimdoor spells are exploits, I said the opposite.


    I know lots of players who only bought the expensive expansion gold pack because of the teleport item and the hardcore league.
    I also have a hard time believing people paid $130 for the Sharn Deluxe pack just to get the Boarding Pass clicky when you can buy a universal teleport wand for around $6 in points in the DDO store.

  18. #58
    Community Member lexinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feralthyrtiaq View Post

    NERFING IPS to balance INQ knowing that ranged DIDN'T need a nerf is comparable to cutting ALL SPELL DAMAGE BY 20% to nerf WARLOCK
    Indeed. I don't get why they are doing it this way either.
    Funny sig goes here.

  19. #59
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lexinator View Post
    Indeed. I don't get why they are doing it this way either.
    Because they actually think all ranged combat is currently overtuned - not just Inqui, they think GXB and RXB on Live right now are OP too. They think throwers will be with the new feats they're adding for them. The only ranged style they think doesnt actively need a nerf is bows.

    Its insane, but their idea of what ranged "should be" seems to be just a hair above what bows are right now...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload