Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pvp!?

Community Member

Default I'll tell you why the answer is No!

PvP doesn't working DDO for one reason.

Players and Monsters aren't on the same HP scale. We build toons to fight monsters with 10 times to over 1000 times our HP. Which means in PvP almost every attack is a one shot kill. Not much fun.

Community Member

Unhappy No to open world pvp!!!!! Focus on whats already there and make it better!!!!!!

seems as though there are people who want pvp to be implemented into the game. im not asking for world pvp i hate that people continue to assume that when pvp is brought up. i am simply asking for skrimishes to be focused on in the tavern or actually put into the social for people to use to que up for pvp. also DOING PVP GEAR. would lessen the want to change spells etc... also limiting to a certain amount of spells or abilities.. and having a strict pvp tree class tree similar to epic destinies and REAPER trees. would literally be cool and open alot of doors for expansion providing a pvp community may be annoying. but across all games PVE. or PVP. you will find annoying people. the people who annoy me the most actually revolve themselves around making critical awareness in dungeons dying than leaving.. these people are more of a burden to me than anyone. also making it so that in order to enter pvp you must obtain pvp gear. which it should be standard having a location or person within all taverns for people to locate to for purchase of these WARES. would also make a viable option for pvp gear and lessening change to spells. adding offensive and defensive boost such as KEEN, FALSE LIFE, FORTIFICATION, ETC to armor and keeping the weapons very simple also adding KEEN, ETC. it would make it very fun. im not saying to make it open world.. im simply saying to build on the already made foundation that is there. addind small things to it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY PLEASE UPDATE THE ANIMATIONS AND THE GRAPHICS OF THIS GAME!!!! IT WOULD BE WORTH IT TO DO SO FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motni321 View Post
    When will you guys implement more pvp into the game? this has been rather bothersome to me. I dont see your game ever being successful strictly being a PVE game. there are alot of people who would like to see this game have more PVP expansions. Gear, Battlegrounds or skrimishes, BIS GEAR! please answer this question for me without being closed minded..
    +1 Motni

I would love to see PvP added to the game. I think it would be good for different kinds of players, newer players, and more options, which I always love. I support adding it to the game. That is where I stand on the matter. I would be happy to see it added in a more meaningful way somehow.

I believe it could make huge profits if done right. Look at HCL, it is already turning this game into a more competitive game, so when others say they don't like competitive nature of the game and than turn around and support HCL, well, it makes them look funny. Stay positive and speak your heart honestly, instead of just blending in or letting peer pressure guide you. Thanks for speaking out for PvP.

Options = Fun!
    Hello Hello Hello

Community Member

[QUOTE=SpittingCobra;6285647]+1 Motni

I would love to see PvP added to the game. I think it would be good for different kinds of players, newer players, and more options, which I always love. I support adding it to the game. That is where I stand on the matter. I would be happy to see it added in a more meaningful way somehow.

I believe it could make huge profits if done right. Look at HCL, it is already turning this game into a more competitive game, so when others say they don't like competitive nature of the game and than turn around and support HCL, well, it makes them look funny. Stay positive and speak your heart honestly, instead of just blending in or letting peer pressure guide you. Thanks for speaking out for PvP.

IF YOU SUPPORT PVP PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH YOUR DDO FRIENDS!! make this thread go viral for expansion on something that already exists!

Community Member

You know, on second thought, trying to keep an open mind... maybe it's not a terrible idea.

They keep trying to make everything about CHALLENGE HARDCORE REAPER, etc. and frankly what they can actually pull of there seems to be limited by the AI code that was written a decade+ ago.

Maybe they should do something around PVP for when players want a challenge and go back to focusing on making PVE a PVE experience.

It's a thought. But of course keep in mind the corrupt-a-wish premise. If they do it, it won't be what you had envisioned. It will be some hideous mutation. XD

Quote Originally Posted by motni321 View Post
    I dont see your game ever being successful strictly being a PVE game.
    I beg your pardon?

The game has been around for 14 years and has pretty much been a PvE game (except in the pits in the taverns) the whole time. The game IS successful, otherwise it wouldn't have been around for 14 years.

I see no reason for DDO to incorporate more PvP.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    as a clarification

I have absolutely nothing against PvP in the right context.

but, as said, there just would not be money in it for the
    game company.
    That is absolutely not true.

PVP has always been an attractive factor in MMORPGs. Always.
    Look at Guild Wars, WoW, Eve, Elite Dangerous, ESO, Black Desert Online...
    and game studios are still and will keep developing new MMO's with PVP in it because there is and will be money in it.

Concerning trolls and toxicity, Read about Amazon Game Studio's latest changes to their new game "New World" to mititate that.
    SSG could find a solution as well if they put a good effort.
    Besides, it's not like DDO's community aren't toxic and full trolls already and that's without an active PVP community!
    I think that's something inevitable... because Internet, duh.

Just because SSG have not found the correct way to implement it to DDO before doesn't mean
    it is not possible.

Also, look at it with another, positive, perspective.
    For new players that come from games with an active PVP, this could be a gateway towards learning the game faster
    and efficiently. PVP for some might be the best incentive to do it. I know, because thanks to PVP i learned about stacking bonuses, prioritise gear bonuses per class etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    I beg your pardon?

The game has been around for 14 years and has pretty much been a PvE game (except in the pits in the taverns) the whole time. The game IS successful, otherwise it wouldn't have been around for 14 years.

I see no reason for DDO to incorporate more PvP.
    The reason would be to cater "fun" to more people than just "fun" for the selfish people whom already been catered to for
    14 years

Most of you here sound like people who don't like PVP at all.
    Does it hurt you if SSG adds another feature to the game, despite that you won't use it?
    I mean, SSG is already using it's dev time for useless things already *shrug*

It's like requesting to nerf something because people are having more fun than you
    Last edited by Spl1tz; 01-20-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    Jaigle- Jaizle - Zhentas - Envie - EE solo album - Youtube Channel
    ex Devourer player

Does it hurt you if SSG adds another feature to the game, despite that you won't use it?
    Yes.

1) PvP will require massive wholesale changes to how the game works that will inevitably spill over into PvE.
    2) It will introduce a whole bunch of new bugs.
    3) It will take developer time away from fixing the existing bugs.
    4) It will take developer time away from new classes, races, adventure packs, and expansions.
    5) It will create a whole new realm of forum toxicity.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Does anyone use the extensive PvP systems we already have? The Capture the Flag, assorted Death Match arenas, et cetera? You can already do PvP, and nobody does. It's not appropriate in this game anyway, but it would be a total waste of time to develop even more of what's already there and doesn't get used.
    Honestly thinking about it, the last time I used the Death Match was 3 years ago. A friend wanted to test his "Tree" build against my Tank. Try as he might he never got the numbers he wanted .

One thing that is often overlooked is that in the core rules the classes are not balanced at least not at any specific level. Throw in the complexity of multi-classing. The reason why that is important in PvP is that many games that have PvP go through rebalancing of the different choices or have a homogenous system where the only difference is gear.

It is not that I don't think they could implement PvP - Because they have to a point, it is more that I think the resources they have are not best spent on creating an environment that each time a new feature is implemented there is a very high chance people will be asking for it to be 'nerfed' because of PvP.

Of course the fact that DDO is based on a PvE game also makes a pretty good case for it to be what it is now and no additional time spent in that direction. The argument that the game won't last without it was used over a decade ago - I don't think we need to say any more on that.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by enoach View Post
    honestly thinking about it, the last time i used the death match was 3 years ago. A friend wanted to test his "tree" build against my tank. Try as he might he never got the numbers he wanted .

One thing that is often overlooked is that in the core rules the classes are not balanced at least not at any specific level. Throw in the complexity of multi-classing. The reason why that is important in pvp is that many games that have pvp go through rebalancing of the different choices or have a homogenous system where the only difference is gear.

It is not that i don't think they could implement pvp - because they have to a point, it is more that i think the resources they have are not best spent on creating an environment that each time a new feature is implemented there is a very high chance people will be asking for it to be 'nerfed' because of pvp.

Of course the fact that ddo is based on a pve game also makes a pretty good case for it to be what it is now and no additional time spent in that direction. The argument that the game won't last without it was used over a decade ago - i don't think we need to say any more on that.
    hardcore pvp!

• Endless Fusilade
    • No Holds Barred
    • Many Shot

ANY toon is dead in 2 seconds, maybe less than 2 at level against these abilities.

1 Lightning bolt = you are dead from an SLA

How about I dance you and then just DoT you to death, at least the battle will last maybe 5 seconds.

etc
    etc
    etc

When Mobs have x10 to x20 the HP of players who then have the DPS to defeat these same mobs in seconds there is NO WAY PvP works. It just can't. Fastest clicker wins in this environment. And I have played a bit in the PvP pit, it's that simple, every time.
    Last edited by SiliconScout; 01-20-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Yes.

1) PvP will require massive wholesale changes to how the game works that will inevitably spill over into PvE.
    4) It will take developer time away from new classes, races, adventure packs, and expansions.
    ^^^
    Also THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Yes.

There are solutions, when looked for, can be found.
    I feel like the introduction of bugs should not be accounted for, because, with every new content, comes bugs by default...
    If bugs is always the main worry then we might as well stop developing new content.

Do you perhaps know the dev's schedules? Do you know when they are fixing bugs and when they are creating content?
    Faulty reasoning.

Same as above.
    Another thing that i feel should not be accounted for until it becomes fact.
    Toxicity is created depending on the environment and can be mitigated accordingly.
    Besides, if things are done properly it could not become fact. Part of developing in games is
    solving problems like this.
    Seems like the forumite's fear to ambiguity has disallowed the game to progress all these years...
    Jaigle- Jaizle - Zhentas - Envie - EE solo album - Youtube Channel
    ex Devourer player

How many players are into PvP?

10% or less, roughly

How can I throw out that number?
    Roughly 10% of WOW servers are PvP.
    WOW did the math already.

10% of the population (some F2P, Prem, and VIP mixed)
    will not generate enough income to overcome the cost to implement it
    in a meaningful way.

PvP fanatics will call me a liar and will basically say there is this
    great hidden desire for PvP all we need to do is build it and they will come.

and....they don't.

STO had 1 major faction built entirely around a PvP system (Klingon)
    It failed SPECTACULARLY. EPIC FAILURE.
    They had to create an emergency PvE / PvP plan for them to even have
    the faction represented. THAT FAILED. Finally they just made them
    PvE like the other factions and the population finally stabilized.

To all the PvP fans, I know you are passionate about PvP but
    almost nobody else is.

Sorry
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Community Member

Thumbs up

JACKSON LAWS. incorporate exactly what is offered from him in the leaky dinghy inn. into the social. there are plenty of people who have experience in the pvp side of the game. also from other games that can craft a perfect pvp environment. just like pve there will always be cocky people who want to brag or boast or say they are better than someone. i hear it all the time from people who have 10+ previous lives that they are SO OP for their level and previous lives. "if i was put up against someone else in pve i would stomp them" that toxicity is found in any area of any game. that provides the ability to be better at something or more coordinated than someone else or simply having better common rule than another person. all i am asking is to have a social tab for pvp. that does exactly what "JACKSON LAWS" does but at the ease of doing it anywhere. IMPLEMENT PVP SPECIFIC GEAR OBTAINED ONLY THROUGH A SPECIFIED PVP MASTER OR GEAR SELLER! make each peiece of gear. specific to CASTER/HEALER TANK/MELEE DPS/RANGE DPS its that easy. seriously. slightly different stats. obviously some sort of ranking system would have to be put in place. to provide certain people who are obviously better at pvp than others the chance to get "ranked" or "elite" "legion" gear ETC. challenging people and motivating people who are far more interested in pvp to act on that vs acting on pve that they share no intrest in. Allow only that gear to be worn. or make it auto equip. also applying exp to non level capped people and forcing a level bracket for people would be awesome. also would make it alot more challenging again. i think this would be an absolute game changer and servers would again explode with people. guillds would be larger. there would be more variety to the game. instead of just. pve. dont get me wrong ive played the game. since its release in 2009. but its the same stuff. the same way. with minor changes. its time to make a huge leap in change. to achieve a different crowd of people. while making a small debt but a huge investment. also. make sure to use pvp specific enchament trees. that add STR,DEX,CON,INT buffs. or SPRINT,DODGE, SAVES, ATTACK, DAMAGE BOOSTS, allowing people to activate these abilities making it again challenging and requiring more than just clicking the left button on your mouse hack slashing. as far as spells go. apply PVP specific spells. to already existing spells. damage spells only... Restrict finger of death. anything related etc. for melee. simple. the trees would consist of racial. so you could still multi tree. but a base of three simple trees. CASTER/MELEE/RANGED. make specifc feats restricted to pvp. show when taking the feat. (Player vs. Player Restricted) which ideally i dont think any of them would really be restricted i think all apply and would be viable in pvp..

PLEASE UPGRADE ANIMATIONS AND GRAPHICS!!!!!!!

I would PAY for PvP fun! My senses tell me I am not alone. I believe it would be very lucrative.

As for the damage problem, if we are doing x10 damage, make there a damage reduction in a designated PvP area or instance.

Make sure to add incentives. There are some excellent ideas over in the PvP section. I am happy there is a PvP section. It gives me hope that PvP will someday get implemented!
    Hello Hello Hello

Quote Originally Posted by SpittingCobra View Post
    I would PAY for PvP fun! My senses tell me I am not alone. I believe it would be very lucrative.

As for the damage problem, if we are doing x10 damage, make there a damage reduction in a designated PvP area or instance.

Make sure to add incentives. There are some excellent ideas over in the PvP section. I am happy there is a PvP section. It gives me hope that PvP will someday get implemented!

what ever
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    The forum is the PvP arena.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Spl1tz View Post
    Seems like the forumite's fear to ambiguity has disallowed the game to progress all these years...
    It's not ambiguous.

Waste of time. Waste of resources. Won't bring people to the game. Nobody anywhere is going to say to themselves "I ignored this 14 year old game all this time, but now they added PvP, I'm going to go all in! Time to pony up for the 23,000 store point option and all the X-pacs!"

Do you perhaps know the dev's schedules? Do you know when they are fixing bugs and when they are creating content?
    Faulty reasoning.
    I don't need to know their schedules to know they can only work on one thing at a time. If they are working on PvP, then they are not working on something else. Period. I don't need to know (or even care) what the other thing might be.

Another thing that i feel should not be accounted for until it becomes fact.
    It's a fact in every other PvP game that has ever been made. Throughout all of human history. I'm not even limiting it to computer games. I mean 3,000 years ago and the first people playing Chess. But DDO will be different! Yeah. Sure.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl1tz View Post
    Or maybe, it's all the dead games that were PvP oriented? Someone mentioned GW above, there is no OW PvP in either GW, and in GW 1, you use toons that you can only play in PvP. I play both games. Aion was advertised, and released as PvPvE, and the last time I was there, they had to make a "Fast Track" server for leveling, where there is no PvP. My first legion in Aion left, en masse to RoM because of PvP, 200 players, out the window, because of a feature that was advertised when they bought it. My sub was active when it went F2P, and I'd been playing since the 2nd closed beta. Rappelz is down to three servers, if they still have all of those, but it had an OW PvP system, and a hardcore PvP server, where you could drop your gear if you lost, depending on your lak guard. The PvP forum there required a canoe, on a good day, I know, I used to be a moderator on their forums. The majority of the PvP was capped toons ganking lowbies, or "portal camping", where players would wait for players to come through an area transition, and gank them before they were fully loaded. It was supposed to be against the rules, but...

Hey, swtor has PvP, if you want to wait a couple of hours for a queue to pop, based on times I was on fleet watching the same people spamming "Queue for solo ranked" or "queue for ranked", or even just "queue for PvP". The OW PvP was ok, I guess, but limited to a server, initially, and then a separate channel, and a few select areas that I'm not sure anyone ever used, except for Ilum, during the Gree event, which put anyone that wanted to participate in the event in the PvP zone there. Despite the hyperbole, PvP isn't as popular as people would lead us to believe, or could just outright tell us, if we had limited experience with MMOs. Where a game has a dedicated PvP server, you can safely bet that it's the first one screaming for server merges, due to low population. In swtor, within a week of a merge, the PvP crowd was insisting another merge would fix their queue issues, or cross server queues. I'm not sure what they'll start asking for if it ever gets down to one mega server? Maybe merge with another game?

The game has progressed, for better or worse, consistently since I've been here. When I first joined, the cap was 20. There were no Epic anythings, no destinies, no quests, no Reaper. All of these things have been added over the course of the last 8 years, all w/out the need to sift through 10 million "nerf rock, paper is fine as is, scissors" posts. Fairly common fare on game forums where PvP is a thing. It's done just fine w/out "so and so is griefing in x quest, help" too. These are the most common things PvP brings to an MMO, even when that MMO is hard focused on PvP, along with the nerfs that actually do come, in the name of "balance". We have enough of those threads as is.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast