Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Semi-related, I did some tinkering in the death system - HC death reporting will now include the name of the monster that killed you.
    LOL!

AKA: Oh, no... The whole world knows I died to a Flumph?!? *embarrassment*
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Community Member rikkitikkitarvi's Avatar

Default Death messages

Semi-related, I did some tinkering in the death system - HC death reporting will now include the name of the monster that killed you.
    So as a level 10 character who died by running into the lava in the twelve because they were watching tv state sinsilla died by lava or sinsilla died by her own stupidity?

I look forward to the more elaborate death messages.

Community Member

Great idea. I have no idea if it's feasible, but it's probably worth a shot
    Thanks for everything you do, seriously!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    Let's talk about the next HCL - minus reference to U45

Things that happened that should not happen.

1. PLEASE, no more death notices for players under lvl 10.
    2. Give access to Premium Players. (and F2P players as well, but we will take what we can get)
    3. NO MORE BUYING EXTRA GOLD ROLLS ! Day one, whales opened their wallets and had lvl 20 in 20 minutes.
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO - mic drop
    4. Restrict or eliminate buying max level guild ships on day ONE. It makes it nearly impossible for
    NORMAL guilds to compete for members.
    5. new cosmetics (well duh)
    6. Review what is offered in the store and anything that is straight up 'pay to win' should be grayed out
    and not available for purchase.

That is my short list:

Add your own things - No U45 stuff (bunches of threads on that) no, get rid of HCL posts...your opinion is noted
    but this thread is not about that.

Changes (realistic) we would like to see on the next HCL

(Checks the charge level on the fire extinguish)
    ok, let's do this

LOL the point of 'hard'core is to make money, you can't do that without a store, duh! At least they're making changes for 'hard'core apply on the the other servers so nobody misses out on the 'fun'. win win!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rikkitikkitarvi View Post
    So as a level 10 character who died by running into the lava in the twelve because they were watching tv state sinsilla died by lava or sinsilla died by her own stupidity?
    Don't feel bad, my Permadeath Guild had someone leap to their death in the harbor because they forgot they didn't have feather fall.

For changes to HCL, since the DDO store is going to monetize anyway...

I vote for removing all vendors. No stacks of 100 heal pots. No scrolls from The Twelve. What you pull is what you get.

Maybe just sell non-magical gear and spell components at vendors.

Community Member

I completely disagree with everything in the original post except #5. I couldn't care less if someone wants to drop the equivalent of my monthly paycheck to hit level 20 on day 1. Great, that's more money to go toward development! The Hardcore server was an inventive fun way to both invigorate the player base and make SSG some cash. The game as it exists today has all those options you can buy to speed up play. They're not looking to create a different game play experience for the majority of players.

I understand that there are people who want to be competitive based on skill alone. I could see SSG opening a Hardcore server for a much shorter period of time - say 30 days - with the store completely cut off. You can't buy anything, not even shards for ships or daily dice. You wouldn't want to do that very often, but perhaps as a one time thing SSG would consider it to cater to that style of play. See if you can make it to 20 in 30 days. (Despite the constant statements on the forums that a heroic life takes like 4 days, there are plenty of us who don't make it to 20 in 30 days even on the regular servers. This server would not be for us.)

that said, unless they've changed up the hardcore server somehow, I won't be participating again. Once was fun but I don't feel any urge to repeat it.

2. Give access to Premium Players. (and F2P players as well, but we will take what we can get)
    3. NO MORE BUYING EXTRA GOLD ROLLS ! Day one, whales opened their wallets and had lvl 20 in 20 minutes.
    4. Restrict or eliminate buying max level guild ships on day ONE. It makes it nearly impossible for
    6. Review what is offered in the store and anything that is straight up 'pay to win' should be grayed out

That is my short list:

Add your own things - No U45 stuff (bunches of threads on that) no, get rid of HCL posts...your opinion is noted

ok, let's do this

Did I miss something? Did some links to dev comments get deleted?

Where did the important need to know stuff about HCL go?
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

I won't be coming back for season 2 because of the P2W stuff. On the live servers, its always been there, but on HC it really hurts when the first level 20 is cheating. Fair play is a cornerstone of all good games, and being able to pay your way to the top ruins the community aspect of a server reset. WHY reset the servers if someone can just pay their way back to what they had?

I like the server reset and the fresh community, but I'm not as interested in dying to random stuff and having my progress deleted. I would prefer a progression server, although I like the hardcore challenge aspect, but I don't think it suits me---even though I adore what reaper did for making the game more interesting to play on a day to day basis.
    Without new players DDO will go the way of the dodo.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, Sorc Build Guide, Ghallanda

Community Member

1. A toggle to allow or not allow this seems appropriate
    2. That would be nice
    3. Eating an xp gem/stone could change the color of your name or flag you in the database. Just make sure sagas don't do the same.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quikster View Post
    Go back to xp penalties?
    That’s an option. Or send you to the land of lost souls with an X hour timer before you can come out. What makes sense depends what the season’s objectives are, I suppose. Dying should be a detriment to achieving them, enough so that you want to really try to avoid it. Naked on Korthos is pretty harsh for my taste though, especially when lag can get you. Or griefiing.

Community Member

That sounds like fun

Semi-related too,

I died "only" 2 times on the HC server at fairly high levels, but never from a monster attack.

First time I died at level 17 in "Undermine" because I was stupid enough to jump onto 5 or more mines (forgot to equip featherfall)

Second time I died at level 30 in "Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords" because I turned a Mirror-Laser and got roasted

I wonder if we will see that in the log too.
    Orien: Drache-V36, Merkades-V6 , Askasia-Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Dunklerlindwurm View Post
    That sounds like fun

Semi-related too,

I died "only" 2 times on the HC server at fairly high levels, but never from a monster attack.

First time I died at level 17 in "Undermine" because I was stupid enough to jump onto 5 or more mines (forgot to equip featherfall)

Second time I died at level 30 in "Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords" because I turned a Mirror-Laser and got roasted

I wonder if we will see that in the log too.

Undermine and TOEE and Slavers, Assylum and more of similar quests has really nasty tricks indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

My character who made it the farthest in HC (and the only one I am keeping long-term) died aboard the guild airship. Killed by the Danger Room.

Please make sure that if someone else suffers this indignity, their cause of death is announced correctly!
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Community Member

so.....ya
    Super and quik - basically shorten it, remove permadeath rules (make it a normal server for 30 days)

<<<Nice attempt at avoiding the first stipulation of this thread>>>

If you want to get rid of the HCL ... your opinion is noted...

This thread is not for anti-HCL players to attack the event or suggest changes with the
    goal of destroying the basis of the event.

You don't like the event...fine, you don't have to participate
    BYE.
    HCL sucks

U45 sucks

Not really, but I just hate when posters try to tell people what they are or aren't allowed to say. That's not how discussions work. You don't get to unilaterally impose some ideological litmus test where only people who agree with your basic tenet a priori are allowed to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    HCL sucks

U45 sucks

Not really, but I just hate when posters try to tell people what they are or aren't allowed to say. That's not how discussions work. You don't get to unilaterally impose some ideological litmus test where only people who agree with your basic tenet a priori are allowed to participate.
    Like I said in another thread. Seems to be a pattern.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    Strongly disagree. It was a window into player behavior and provided some elusive "real data" that was fascinating and instructive.
    +1

Community Member

+1

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerhungry View Post
    Activate the mimic event for the next HCL....
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHA!!!!!

+1 interwebs to you!

Wanting to get rid of pay to win and wanting to allow F2P to play seem to be at odds. If F2P can play I would expect that there will be a number of people dual boxing with their main parked at the door in safety while a F2P character does the heavy lifting. Why risk your character when a throw away character can do the work?

That is my short list:

ok, let's do this
    1. Agreed. It was annoying, especially for levels 1-5. I'd be fine with level 6+. Or have it change over time. Start at level 4+ and add 2 levels per week.
    2. Agreed. It is $30 U.S. for a 2 month sub/game time code, iirc. Offer a $5 per character pass for the HCL Server. If you can play one character with no deaths for the duration, good on you. If they die then you can always buy another.
    3. Disagree. I saw one player do that. And died very quickly in life 2 after doing so. I doubt this was wide spread or profitable for the players doing it. If they want to fund SSG this way, more power to them. I know of no characters who did this that benefited. Given that the only reward markers required you to actually run content (favor) or run reaper content (reaper points), extra gold rolling is of marginal value and carries a high risk of wasted money. People spending money in no way affected my enjoyment of HCL in season 1. I see no reason it would do so in season 2.
    4. Disagree. There is already a limit on guild levels earned per day. Again, however, on a limited duration server where the airship stuff is money lost long term, if people want to spend, let them do so. It barely affects power. There is no need to get too emotionally connected to guilds on a short term server. PuG up and meet people from other servers. If someone wants to spend to make the airship happen, more power to them. And please give me a guild invite.
    5. Agreed. Preferably for different targets. (See additions below)
    6. Disagree. Let players play how they want. You want to play 80 hours per week to gain advantage? Go for it. You may die after doing that for two weeks before earning the rewards and have wasted all that time. You want to spend $50 to gain advantage? Go for it. You way die after doing that and have wasted all that money. I'm not telling anyone how much time or money to spend, and neither should SSG. Let people play and pay as much as they want.

Additions:
    1. Add new targets. Not Reaper XP cumulative or Favor Cumulative. Find new challenges in the game. That will keep HCL fresh and require people to think of new strategies.
    2. Alter the HCL duration. 3 months was too long. It negatively affects live servers. It was amazing the first 4-6 weeks. The last 4 were much less so and the last 2 were boring. Especially with cumulative rewards like Reaper XP and Favor, you reach a point where you can get there or you can't. If you can't then you stop playing. As mentioned in 1, new targets that are not cumulative and shorter in duration will maintain opportunity and energy for the duration of HCL. I'd recommend a 4 week or 6 week duration. 12 weeks is too long.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast