Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    40

    Default To Free Players Only: What to Next?

    I'm about to level up again but because of my level there are very few quests left. I've done almost every quest on Normal, Hard, and Elite difficulties.

    I could switch servers and start over. That would allow me to gain First-Time DDO points. However that would be tedious with the same class. Other classes would be options but they wouldn't be able to go Solo, making them Dead Ends.

    Unlocking new options is important to my interests but grinding to unlock things to grind with is another Dead End

    It seems I've run the coarse of Dungeons and Dragons Online.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,252

    Default

    Buy an adventure pack? Many are on discount this week.
    Run again on reaper?
    Spend a few bucks for an expansion?
    Continue playing for free?
    What's the level of your character and how many ddo points have you accumulated?

    All classes can run solo.

  3. #3
    Community Member Kinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,161

    Default

    free content gets you to 20 pretty easily, and you can get tokens of the twelve to TR from a free chain too (Lords of Dust). with that said it's almost never a good idea to TR your only high level character, and i would say definitely not in your scenario. i would keep that character around for Cannith crafting, favor rewards, gear farming, and limited time events, all of which will make leveling an alt much easier than starting fresh on a new server

    there's no real point in gaining epic levels without Epic Destinies, and there's no real point to that until you have more epic-capable content unlocked, so i would focus on packs first, then Destinies. that lets you run the full gamut of content depending on what you're looking for on any given day

    you have been offered builds in the past that not only can solo but are better soloers than your current build, so i have no idea why you think classes besides the cleric can't solo

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34

    Default

    How many classes have you played? When I started out, I hopped servers to get the extra DP to unlock more packs, and also find a guild I wanted to stay loyal to. This also gave me exposure to other classes (many of the free classes can solo) and figure out what playstyle I found most enjoyable.

    If you haven't tried bard, they're pretty underrated and also fun. I think it says they are "difficult" to solo, but their dps is acceptable, have some cool crowd control options, and can heal pretty well. You can splash a few rogue levels and have a pretty solid trapper, too (though getting gear would be a challenge on a brand new server).

    Part of the fun of this game (imo) is trying out the various classes, so if you've played one class and think you've done all you can, I'd encourage you to try a new build.

  5. #5
    Community Member Gniewomir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    aaaa
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    free content gets you to 20 pretty easily
    not true. running all quests with streak on r1 will give you enough xp for lvl 11. Lets say you run lod chain, demons den and lvl 15 f2ps at character lvl 11 (what is impossible, you wont be able to solo above normal/hard and nobody will run it on lvl 11), you should be lvl 12-13. Even assuming it's 13 you're at 760k/1900k (lvl 20), so you're not even in the middle. If by "get to 20 pretty easly" you mean repeat every quest 5 or more times (next runs without streak and 1st time bonus will give a lot less xp) you could be right.

    As you can see this account of mine is pretty new, so info above is tested&confirmed by playing.
    Last edited by Gniewomir; 01-18-2020 at 12:51 PM.

  6. #6
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    4,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I could switch servers and start over. That would allow me to gain First-Time DDO points. However that would be tedious with the same class. Other classes would be options but they wouldn't be able to go Solo, making them Dead Ends.

    Unlocking new options is important to my interests but grinding to unlock things to grind with is another Dead End
    You have brought these misconceptions up before, and been given answers to them, and not long ago. The fact that you're doing so again raises the question of whether you were listening then, and would listen now if given the same responses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    It seems I've run the coarse of Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    It seems you complain just to complain. Stop being a drama queen. If you like the game, then play the game. If you don't, find something better.

    I wouldn't be harsh if this were your first time doing so, but it's not, nor close to it. Get over it or accept it - those are your only alternatives.

  7. #7
    Community Member Kinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gniewomir View Post
    not true. running all quests with streak on r1 will give you enough xp for lvl 11. Lets say you run lod chain, demons den and lvl 15 f2ps at character lvl 11 (what is impossible, you wont be able to solo above normal/hard and nobody will run it on lvl 11), you should be lvl 12-13. Even assuming it's 13 you're at 760k/1900k (lvl 20), so you're not even in the middle. If by "get to 20 pretty easly" you mean repeat every quest 5 or more times (next runs without streak and 1st time bonus will give a lot less xp) you could be right.

    As you can see this account of mine is pretty new, so info above is tested&confirmed by playing.
    there is a middle ground between running all quests once and six+ times, and i consider that middle ground "pretty easily"

    base xp for 20- f2p quests is 219,801
    daily 25%
    conquest 25%
    ransack 15%
    no reentry 10%

    normal first time 20%
    hard first time 20% bravery 50%, and about 7.5% over base
    elite first time 45% bravery 50%, and about 15% over base

    that adds up to 1.7m with no optionals, wilderness, challenges, daily rolls, any other exp of any kind, a few of those and a few more repeats here and there to make up the last 200k is no problem

    first life f2p can't open on reaper anyway, so good old n/h/e is more plausible imo. if you do end up in a reaper farming group, that's slightly better since the full bravery gets applied to the larger base exp and you can go back and do h/n later, but it's not a major difference now that streak doesn't do anything anymore

  8. #8
    Community Member Kinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marinersfan View Post
    How many classes have you played? When I started out, I hopped servers to get the extra DP to unlock more packs, and also find a guild I wanted to stay loyal to. This also gave me exposure to other classes (many of the free classes can solo) and figure out what playstyle I found most enjoyable.

    If you haven't tried bard, they're pretty underrated and also fun. I think it says they are "difficult" to solo, but their dps is acceptable, have some cool crowd control options, and can heal pretty well. You can splash a few rogue levels and have a pretty solid trapper, too (though getting gear would be a challenge on a brand new server).

    Part of the fun of this game (imo) is trying out the various classes, so if you've played one class and think you've done all you can, I'd encourage you to try a new build.
    imo this needs especial reiterating with the LFG situation as it is these days. in general this game is much easier and much more fun with other players, and a guild you like is by far the best way to make that happen

  9. #9
    Community Member TitusOvid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    I can offer you an elite opener on 2 server: Orien, Wayfinder. Make the 100 favor dash. and by some new packs preferably those that are at your level.
    The others are right f2p is not that bad and or difficult as you make it out to be.

    Cheers,
    Titus.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

  10. #10
    Community Member Gniewomir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    aaaa
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    there is a middle ground between running all quests once and six+ times, and i consider that middle ground "pretty easily"

    base xp for 20- f2p quests is 219,801
    daily 25%
    conquest 25%
    ransack 15%
    no reentry 10%

    normal first time 20%
    hard first time 20% bravery 50%, and about 7.5% over base
    elite first time 45% bravery 50%, and about 15% over base

    that adds up to 1.7m with no optionals, wilderness, challenges, daily rolls, any other exp of any kind, a few of those and a few more repeats here and there to make up the last 200k is no problem

    first life f2p can't open on reaper anyway, so good old n/h/e is more plausible imo. if you do end up in a reaper farming group, that's slightly better since the full bravery gets applied to the larger base exp and you can go back and do h/n later, but it's not a major difference now that streak doesn't do anything anymore
    Paper can handle everything, but i really would like to see you trying it on totally new account, with no access to packs, decent gear etc, when stuff like lvl cap, over level penalties etc matters. Pretty easy to judge without much clue how it looks like, but i really do wonder how much fun you would have trying challange like that and then imagining how someone totally new, kinda confused about game mechanics, without any knowledge about quests etc would feel.

    Also silver roll is almost 0 xp (at one server i was rolling only for 20 days, got 4k xp) and last f2p wild is lvl 10 ataraxia, not a great xp i would say. Also challanges, especially house c ones on heroic are like once per year event and i doubt newbie will be able to solo them with more than maybe one or two stars. And after 1st run xp is collapsing like a mad, much more than in quests.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I'm about to level up again but because of my level there are very few quests left. I've done almost every quest on Normal, Hard, and Elite difficulties.

    I could switch servers and start over. That would allow me to gain First-Time DDO points. However that would be tedious with the same class. Other classes would be options but they wouldn't be able to go Solo, making them Dead Ends.

    Unlocking new options is important to my interests but grinding to unlock things to grind with is another Dead End

    It seems I've run the coarse of Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    F2P is really for people to try the game. Some people make a game of playing F2P and slowly add to their content over time. If you always feel like your missing out on something better then F2P is not for you.
    The F2P classes are good as people have said and some classes are very strong at soloing. Wizard Pale Master EK for example.

    You wont find a more supportive community in any other game especially one as long in the tooth as this one.

    A VIP membership pays for a boat load of entertainment compared to anything. Cant go see a friggin movie for the cost of VIP haha!

  12. #12
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gniewomir View Post
    not true.
    Really? I suspect it probably is true. I got to level 15 years ago as F2P, when XP bonuses were much smaller, XP permanently decayed for quests, and before any of these additional F2P quests were even in the game:

    • Diplomatic Impunity 12
    • Eyes of Stone 12
    • Frame Work 12
    • Memoirs of an Illusory Larcener 13
    • Tower of Frost 14
    • Disciples of Shar 15
    • Escape Plan 15
    • Search and Rescue 15
    • Lost at Sea 15
    • Beyond the Rift 16
    • Servants of the Overlord 16
    • The Lords of Dust 16
    • The Spinner of Shadows 16
    • The Mask of Deception 16
    • Good Intentions 17

    and without running In the Demons Den, which existed already then.

    With how much easier XP is to get now, and the vastly wider array of mid- & high-Heroic F2P quests available, getting to 20 really should be pretty straight-forward.

    However, OP, ask yourself how much you like DDO. If you're not having much fun, then, yeah, you should quit. If you are having lots of fun, maybe you should consider going Premium and buying some adventure packs. The options are there, it's up to you. I'm not sure what you're really expecting in response to your "question".
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  13. #13
    Community Member Kinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gniewomir View Post
    Paper can handle everything, but i really would like to see you trying it on totally new account, with no access to packs, decent gear etc, when stuff like lvl cap, over level penalties etc matters. Pretty easy to judge without much clue how it looks like, but i really do wonder how much fun you would have trying challange like that and then imagining how someone totally new, kinda confused about game mechanics, without any knowledge about quests etc would feel.

    Also silver roll is almost 0 xp (at one server i was rolling only for 20 days, got 4k xp) and last f2p wild is lvl 10 ataraxia, not a great xp i would say. Also challanges, especially house c ones on heroic are like once per year event and i doubt newbie will be able to solo them with more than maybe one or two stars. And after 1st run xp is collapsing like a mad, much more than in quests.
    since you ask, when i came back after a 6ish year break recently i started on a totally new server, and once i saw the state of LFGs fired up two other totally new accounts. in my experience the paper is right on the money. i suspect the difference between our experiences is that i was already used to the n/h/e style of running quests since that's what all us plebs used to do, but it's worth stressing that that was one of the VERY few pieces of player experience that still held true. most of the intervening changes had left me nearly as clueless as a new player, so i came here, asked questions, and took it seriously when people gave me answers that didn't match my expectations. i strongly believe that any new player willing to do that will not have a hard time with f2p

    the point is not that the other things i mentioned are great xp, the point is that they only have to add up to 200k once per life

  14. #14
    Community Member Goalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    122

    Default

    I'll just say two things:
    -Buying races and classes is stupid because F2P doesn't even have that many character slots (and newer races cost more, too)
    -Don't bother going into epics without epic destinies (I tried, it's a joke since you can only run everything on normal); once you hit 20, that's kind of the end of the road (don't even think about TRs as a F2P, too much xp is required even for a second-lifer; again, speaking from experience)

    And let's be realistic, reaper is a joke. How many points do you have?

    So if you hit level 10 or so and didn't buy Gianthold/already spent your 500 or so *free* DDO points on something stupid (like Demon Sands or something), then I will say that you are out of luck unless you want to grind your life away (literally).
    This is of course assuming you did that 100 favor server thing, which, in some ways, isn't even worth it either
    That's Option A, and it is bleak (/hopefully not you).

    If you bought a race with those precious points, then rip. Races/classes ain't getting you NOWHERE in this game.

    If you didn't buy anything, then I suggest you get Gianthold. It can get you to around 16 or so, and, augmented with the (few) higher level F2P quests, you can reach 20. You can take that from a guy that only had Gianthold when he hit 20 for the first time. Of course, if you can't get Gianthold, then you're kinda screwed unless you grind your eyeballs out. That's (the better/more preferred) Option B.

    After that, there's really nothing to do as a F2P except repeat everything again with a reincarnate (which is stupid) or roll up another character (which is stupid because it's still repetition of quests).

    If you didn't buy anything yet
    I understand how difficult it is to get stuff. Even something as basic as Shan-to-Kor on sale 30% off still means several hours (really, 7 or 8 hours) worth grinding. In other words, for this game, you either waste your life or you waste your money, OR (and the worst) you waste both (I'm talking to those VIPs...). The game is designed this way, just like a rat trap is designed to catch rats. They want your money; to **** with the game's quality.

    If you really don't like the game (truly) don't, the Recycle Bin exists for a reason. There's no reason to play this overpriced ***** ** ****. Especially considering how it's 2020 and there are so many other (cheaper) better games out there/that have been out there...
    The problem with focusing on the most extreme of players is that that group will only get smaller and smaller... Oof
    You know you have a problem when a virtual fantasy game ruins your concept of real world money and its value.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    F2P is really for people to try the game. Some people make a game of playing F2P and slowly add to their content over time. If you always feel like your missing out on something better then F2P is not for you.
    The F2P classes are good as people have said and some classes are very strong at soloing. Wizard Pale Master EK for example.
    On paper a Pale Master is solidly built, but I cant really do much more than the Tutorial because the WIzard is too easy to kill. That doesnt bode well. Average AC desired at level 1 is 20+ and average +3 more AC every level. Wizard is a major challenge to fix when its broken from the beginning,

    I find most classes arent as apt as Cleric as a solo character. It has the best armor, high healing, offensive spells, and is good in melee.

  16. #16
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    On paper a Pale Master is solidly built, but I cant really do much more than the Tutorial because the WIzard is too easy to kill. That doesnt bode well. Average AC desired at level 1 is 20+ and average +3 more AC every level. Wizard is a major challenge to fix when its broken from the beginning,

    I find most classes arent as apt as Cleric as a solo character. It has the best armor, high healing, offensive spells, and is good in melee.
    Wizard is super garbage at level 1 and level 2. Just as soon as you hit level 3 it improves a lot and hitting level 5 gives you fireball or the acid version of the same. At that point, you can make pretty much everything die before it can get close enough to hit you. AC doesn’t make as much of a difference if nothing is in melee range because it’s dead.

    Cleric is solid. It’s a good class. But Wizard and Sorcerer are also excellent classes and Pale Master in particular is practically immortal on Normal and Hard even with almost no gear once you have Lesser Death Aura and Death Aura. Even before the Pale Master improvements, PM was really solid. After the PM improvements, a Pale Master with decent gear (which you aren’t going to get in F2P quests, sadly) are nearly impossible to kill even in low reaper quests.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Not all classes start out strong but with a Barbarian and Skele Knight escort early on its really easy. Spam Sonic Blast and let your henchmen take out the trash. You will get much better damage spells and defensive spells as you level with an option to eventually wear heavy armor and a shield through the EK tree if you want. The healing aura is very good even without all the twink gear outside reaper.

    Its a good time IMO

  18. #18
    FreeDeeOh PsychoBlonde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    free content gets you to 20 pretty easily (snip)
    Eh . . . not really. There are fewer and fewer quests and most of the 12-18 f2p quests give absolutely godawful XP and are some of the hardest quests in the game at their level. (No, really, try doing Search and Rescue on a free to play first life character. Or In the Demon's Den.)

    If you're doing normal/hard/elite to get all the favor you can, you'll still likely need to do some extra grinding to hit 20. I mean, seriously between levels 12 and 20 quest-wise there are a grand total of 21 free to play quests. 21 quests to get 8 levels ain't much.

    It took me 6 lives before I had earned enough packs on my f2p account to go 1-20 just playing quests once and done.

    However, one thing you can do that a lot of people forget is that you can get your free Challenge Token every day and RUN CHALLENGES.

    I definitely recommend making characters on the other servers and grinding up some favor that way. (Or make another character on the same server.) It's a long process to play the game entirely for free, but unless you've got a friend around who can chip in some guest passes you're better off making additional characters to grind favor at first.

    Never, ever, EVER buy packs unless they are on sale. Your points will go MUCH further. Do not buy ANYTHING on the DDO store except adventure packs until you have enough packs to go 1-20 on a third life character without repeating quests. Once you do this, if you still really want to keep playing the game, start doing serial 1-20 reincarnations. Do EVERY SINGLE QUEST YOU HAVE every single life to get favor. The only exception is the the super sale items that are more than 50% off.

    If you get a present or something I recommend getting MotU and Shadowfell when they go on sale, as they do periodically. Get the upgraded version that includes several other adventure packs. You can't get those two expansions for free on the DDO store (although you can get Sharn and Ravenloft free if you're willing to grind out 2500 points apiece) and they contain enough quests to get you over the hump.

    The biggest chokepoint in playing the game for free is getting enough packs to where you can pull down good favor every life. There's about 1350 free favor available in the game right now IIRC (I'm not going to go add it all up manually). You want to get about to where you can get 3000 per life. It's actually not bad, as quite a few of the packs are dirt cheap and go on sale regularly.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 01-19-2020 at 02:08 AM.

  19. #19
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    4,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    There's about 1350 free favor available in the game right now IIRC (I'm not going to go add it all up manually)...
    Wiki sez "1,562", and that's a DPL pull so pro'ly pretty accurate.

    o https://ddowiki.com/page/Favor#Total_Favor

  20. #20
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Average AC desired at level 1 is 20+ and average +3 more AC every level.
    See, you write this, and I read "I don't grasp the differences between pen-and-paper and DDO". Your AC doesn't matter.

    There as a time long ago when it did, but DDO doesn't even use the D20 attack-roll-versus-AC calculation, and hasn't for years. It's graded on a curve. Certain tank build at high level care about their AC, but they have ACs like 500, and use things like +10% AC (not +10 AC, +10 per cent AC!) to get there. If you're caring about your AC on a level 1 Wizard, you're worrying about all the wrong irrelevant things. Any theoretical difference in your survival is too small to notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload