Default Failure to Zone Change

I don't have a lot of optimism that I will find a solution, but I figured it doesn't hurt to explain my situation and see if anyone else is having the same problems (and maybe solved them).

For the last few months (since around the time Hardcore League Season 1 started), I have been having occasional failures to zone changes. Typically, I can play the game for a couple of hours, and then seemingly at random the game will get stuck on a loading screen between public areas. When it started, it happened almost every play session. At some point, it was only happening every two or three sessions. Now it is back to happening every time I play.

When I get stuck, I have the choice of waiting until I get a "Connection to the Server is Lost" pop-up, which closes the client, or I can do a hard exit from the game. Either way, if I attempt to re-enter, I just get stuck again. I found that if I switch to a character *not in that zone*, I can get into the game, but if the other character attempts to go to the zone that failed, it gets stuck again. If I wish, I can almost always re-enter the game with the original character by using the "Transfer to Eberron" button from the login screen, but if I attempt to enter the zone where the problem occurred, it will get stuck again. This persists for at least an hour, and less than 24 hours, from my experience. (So I can start to play the next night.)

Some possibly relevant data points --

-- It is not always the same zone, and it has happened to me going to House K, Eveningstar, Guild Ship, Harbor, Barrels Bottom and maybe others (these are the last five times I can remember).

-- I purchased a new computer at Christmas time. The problems span both the old computer and new computer. The new computer has 16 GB RAM, SSD, and medium-to-high end graphics card. Both systems were running Windows 10 (in compatibility mode for Windows 8).

-- I have upgraded my router during this time as well.

-- I have checked all the drivers I can think of to make sure they are up-to-date.

-- My internet service provider has been the same throughout.

-- I have reinstalled the game at least three times from scratch.

-- The problem occurs most often when in a party, but it has happened when I am soloing as well.

-- It usually happens after an hour or two, but at least once it happened almost immediately after I logged on.

-- Yes, I tried restarting my computer, my client, my router, etc...

-- Oh, and yes, my computer is plugged in!

I am getting increasingly frustrated. I would hate to give up the game, but I am starting to get close to that point...maybe 10 years is long enough...

Having the same problem...running Windows 10.
    The Nak Abides - Argo - Ascent
    Ganak Goblinjuicer ~ Xanak the Irregular

try doing ipconfig /flushdns

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    try doing ipconfig /flushdns
    Thanks, but unfortunately did not help.

The other night I had the issue occur when trying to load onto the guild ship. I use the transport to Eberron/FR to get back in game. What is interesting is that when logging in as different characters, they too cannot then get to the guild ship. Can log into any other zone fine.

My symptoms are spot on the same as Torkzed's, and I've done much of the same troubleshooting including client reinstalls.

I got a new PC a few weeks ago (red herring!). But did not have the problem on my old PC (unlike Torkzed who said it happened on both his old and new PCs.)

Community Member

Default Same Problem

You're not alone. I have been having this issue since I came back to DDO around Christmas and have had ongoing tickets with SSG support since then. They've been largely useless and very slow. I recently discovered that if I have someone who is in the instance type /loc, it is always on Server 52, confirmed half a dozen times. I'm on Orien, so it may be different for you idk. I've updated my current ticket with this info and still waiting on a response (10 days since a response). Support did ask me to test it on a different server, and I didn't have any luck reproducing the problem after about 4 hours of trying.

I can work around this issue most of the time by going to the Hall of Heroes at the Character Selection screen, because if I try to log back in after Server Timeout Disconnection it tries and fails to put me back in the same instance. Resetting the quest or wilderness that it happens on is a minor inconvenience, especially when in a party, but it's workable with understanding people. The super annoying thing is when one of the public areas, like House K, happens to be on Server 52 because it will stay that way for a while, and I'll have to go questing elsewhere. Eventually I can get in, probably because no one on the server was there and the instance was deleted, and then a new instance was created on a different server when the next person entered.

Other people are obviously getting onto Server 52 without issues. I'm wondering if Server 52 is somehow configured incorrectly, or possibly my ISP is blocking the communication with that specific server for some reason.

Are you also on Orien? By chance are you also in Kentucky (wondering if this is related to locale)?

Not sure if this will help, but it worked for me a few months back. Loading screen failure was actually leading to shutting down the program.

Unfortunately I am at work so I cannot check the full path, but in your DDO folder there is a subfolder holding the loading screen jpgs. During one of the updates they got corrupted, changed to html. As I said I unfortunately do not have the full path available, but try looking through the folders in your DDO. I think RAW was one of the folders. When you find the loading screen jpg files they should be only a few kilobytes. If any of them are huge, or html, delete them and restart the game. They will be downloaded anew and refreshed.

Again, not sure if this will help, but it happened to me. Good luck.
    What do you mean a -6 armor class is no good anymore?

Baldric, Mulray, Tirimon, Clant, Melkazar, Dorakeen, Blastium
    Member of the Silver Legion on Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Melkazar View Post
    Unfortunately I am at work so I cannot check the full path, but in your DDO folder there is a subfolder holding the loading screen jpgs. During one of the updates they got corrupted, changed to html. As I said I unfortunately do not have the full path available, but try looking through the folders in your DDO. I think RAW was one of the folders. When you find the loading screen jpg files they should be only a few kilobytes. If any of them are huge, or html, delete them and restart the game. They will be downloaded anew and refreshed.
    Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Saw this in a different thread and tried it a week ago. Didn't have any odd named files, and deleted them anyway, but still incurred the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFeet View Post
    Are you also on Orien? By chance are you also in Kentucky (wondering if this is related to locale)?
    On Argo server, and am in Louisville, KY with Spectrum as my ISP for the last 2.5 years. Didn't have the issue ever happen until I got a new PC about 3 weeks ago.

This happens to me rarely...

I find the fastest solution is to not bother killing the current game, just re-log with that account. For me, that automagically kills the current game and re-starts me at the character selection screen. If I choose the same toon, it lands on one side or the other of the portal (and I can't remember having the same problem twice in a row).

GL!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ganak View Post
    On Argo server, and am in Louisville, KY with Spectrum as my ISP for the last 2.5 years. Didn't have the issue ever happen until I got a new PC about 3 weeks ago.

I forgot to mention I didn't get a new PC, but I did do a complete wipe of my hard drive and reinstall of Windows 10 around Christmas. OP mentioned a new PC as well. Maybe something to this.

Been trying to workaround this, but it is super debilitating.

Just got locked out of the Guild Ship upon logging in (can enter game through FR or Ebberon). Using the opportunity to troubleshoot more.

Totally disabled Windows Defender Firewall...no change.

Again, specific symptoms are:

I'm in game playing and get a long load screen between zones followed by a connection timeout. Sometimes entering a zone; sometimes exiting a quest. No pattern to which zones this occurs. This has happened upon the initial login to the game too. This ends with a "The connection to the server has been lost!" error and shutdown of the client and back to desktop.

I can always get back in to via the transport to the forgotten realms or transport to Ebberron option on the character screen. Although once it impacted me going right to Ebberron and had to go to FR.

Resetting the instance you were trying to get into fixes the issue! Like waiting for an outdoor area to reset after 5 minutes. Problem is instances which do not reset regularly because there are people in it (like Marketplace).

People who have seen this happen to me when it happens when entering a quest say I get into the instance and they can see my dot. I can actually hear people on voice chat as the loading screen never loads until it boots me to desktop with the error.

When an instance is borked, it impacts all my characters trying to get into that instance.

I booted up today with the new 64 bit client hoping it may make a difference...Nope could not login to the game directly into the guild ship where I was parked, was able to log into "Transport to Ebberon" fine, but when go to guild ship, get the error. Had a guildy type /loc and the ship is on server 18 (on Argo).

UPDATE: After a 20-30 minute wait, after I submitted a ticket, I saw no one was on my guild ship and gave it another try and got on, and typing /loc returned (Standard): You are on server 45
    Last edited by Ganak; 02-12-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Community Member

i am having the same problems i also live in florence,ky, have Spectrum too, and play on agro server. i almost feel like it could be because of Spectrum

Default This worked for me

I just installed Windows 10 on Saturday, clean install from Windows 7. I too was being DC'ed in loading screens after playing for about an hour. So I ran DDO as Admin and I was able to play for 6 hours no problem. I can not promise this will fix all issues but it is something very easy to try.