Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-u-r-eye View Post
    Scaling damage based on a skill is problematic from the perspective of balance, ... .
    Enough said

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    I feel that. What interesting ED feat needs help the most, in your opinion?
    That's a great question!

So first I'd say that all the lvl 29 ED feats that are not named "dire charge" are in a tough place because dire charge is an essential part of a huge number of builds (it's so good even some non-melee builds take it). Giving some flexibility for when you can take them would help out there. It's also just too rigid a system for "feats." Feats should a list of options to take for customization, not a linear power increase (that's what class/destiny advancement is for).

specifically Forced escape, guardian angel, and spirit blades are all some combination of too clunky, to specific, too long a cool down, or just poorly scaled. I get that scaling is tough, but cooldowns are something that you guys can just put unreasonable numbers on sometimes. Three minutes is an age of the earth the way this game is generally played. A *defensive* ability with a three minute cooldown would need to be a pretty massive effect, not a ~5% increase in total effective defense for a few seconds.

Personally I'd love for arcane warrior to be more useful, but in addition to the dire charge issue, +1 MP per offensive spell with a 6 second stack loss is a lot of offensive spells . More than any gish is likely to be casting. You get the spellpower stacks up, but 20 SP on a gish is only meh:
    I'd say
    +10 MP/RP for ten seconds (no stacks) after casting an offensive spell

+1% spell crit chance per melee attack with no cap on the next (single) spell you cast (within say 10 seconds). So you can do a bunch of melee attacks then blast one auto-crit spell.

In addition to taking it on lvl 26/28/29 not just 29 because of said dire charge issue.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

Spirit Blades: Super cool, but super slow and pretty useless.

Make it have a standard cast time and enable quicken.

Also Epic Mage armor: Dunno how to fix this but its just flat AC and doesn't scale at all as updates bring more power. Maybe have it scale off your stats?

Eg.
    +25 Armor bonus to AC
    +10% AC
    +10 PRR
    Last edited by apocaladle; 02-03-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Community Member

That's a pretty hard question. Choosing one is hard.

Epic Skill Focuses are definitely underwhelming, but not my top spot. You could remove them entirely from the ED feat list and make Great (insert stat) epic feats replace them, but give bonuses to all skills related to that stat as well as the +1. They'd STILL feel underwhelming, but at least the list would be less clunky.

Epic Spell Power are also underwhelming. Give those some other spell-related bonus (no crit or crit damage, though, the balance there is quite delicate. Maybe a stacking mana cost reduction every time you cast a spell of the associated element? Sustain and dedication to an element)

Arcane Warrior takes too long to get too little a benefit. You need to either hand out most of the bonus all at once, or give at least part of the bonus a way to stack much higher than it currently does. Somebody suggested the arcane warrior magic buff should only affect the next spell but give a substantially larger buff, and I think it's a neat idea. I think most arcane warriors either use spells as finishers, or to start the fight and soften every target before wading in. Casting an offensive spell should grant some form of damage buff for a short duration, while hitting with a weapon could grant a stacking spell power scaling to the next spell cast. That sounds like a lot, but if it's only a single spell cast before you need to fight for a while to gather power again, it seems reasonable.

All of the above ARE indeed underwhelming, but not to the point of my actual first place: Epic Mage Armor.

This epic-powered feat only gives +5 AC to anyone wearing end-game cloth robes (+15 enhancement), no need to even MENTION actual armor.

Probably true. I'm trying to keep as much of the original feat in place as possible.
    Then make it lesser displacement 30% better than item but does not bump displacement to 55%
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

The Myth- TR will make my character powerful
    The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

Rad, thanks. I'm well aware that the ancillary stuff is just fluff to the number-crunchers, the additional Ghost Touch wasn't meant as part of the tradeoff from the scaling SA damage. I'm not considering it as part of a numbers balance, just as a fun bonus I can easily slide on in for convenience.

What about 6d6 Sneak Dice? I'm not trying to match where Ethereal was, I'm trying to match where Arborea is. Hmm lemme crunch those numbers, gimme a hot second

Looks like 2407 with 6d6... hmmm

I feel like 6d6 and 5 mp matches Arborea pretty well. Thoughts?
    The concept is ethereal then bypassing defenses would be more appropriate
    SA since its always been there
    but instead of mp having a bypass like -5 or 10 to targets prr and AC and or fortification.
    Milacias of Kyber

The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

Hellball- should be easy not sure when the last time I ever saw one used
    Spirit Blade- same as above animation and cooldown are rediculous
    First Blood- add +2 to assassinate
    Elusive Target- using a defensive stance doubles it
    Holy Strike- add good damage to weapon
    Epic Mage Armor- change type
    Spell Powers prob could have added 2% crit chance if taken a second time
    Milacias of Kyber

Community Member

Regarding Hellball, would it be possible to make something comparable to Energy Burst. Have it deal 1d3 +3 acid, cold, fire, electric, sonic per caster level (making it essentially 1d15 + 15)?

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Quote Originally Posted by noinfo View Post
    Hellball- should be easy not sure when the last time I ever saw one used
    Spirit Blade- same as above animation and cooldown are rediculous
    First Blood- add +2 to assassinate
    Elusive Target- using a defensive stance doubles it
    Holy Strike- add good damage to weapon
    Epic Mage Armor- change type
    Spell Powers prob could have added 2% crit chance if taken a second time
    I certainly agree with Hellball and Spirit Blade. I'd like to see Hellball's cost reduced or turn it into a SLA for metamagic's sake. Basically the same with Spirit Blade. Either that or scale them with caster level so that they're competitive with Meteor Swarm, Thunderstroke, etc.

Quick draft:

Scion of the Ethereal Plane
    You are considered Blurry and you have Ghost Touch
    +3d6 Sneak Attack Dice, +5 Melee and Ranged Power
    +4 to all Skills
    Permanent Invis Guard, as per the item effect

Thoughts?
    Could we get ghostly instead of ghost touch?

and just so I understand, this would no longer have any connection to the hide skill?
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo
    Proud member of the HighLords of Malkier

Community Member

Scion of Summoning

Summons have no role in the game right now at all, let alone endgame. This could be reworked for a playstyle that's currently unsupported by a specific scion - ranged? Hybrid caster-martial? THF? Healing?

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Legendary feat: Scion of Mechanus - it has Fort Bypass which I keep looking at, but I just can't justify it on a fleshy toon. I guess that's sorta the point, but if it was 15-20% it would be worth taking on more builds. As such, I don't think I've ever seen it taken despite it being a cool-looking feat (you could build around getting Reconstruct as an SLA).

ED feat: Forced Escape - it doesn't do the escape part, and it's a really bad DPS spell.
    2nd vote: Guardian Angel - I haven't even seen any tanks who take this.
    3rd vote: Spirit Blades - slow cast time and slow travel time = everyone grabs Arcane Pulse instead.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Ugh, my one weakness, polite feedback!
    Wait, hold on, wasn't your one weakness cookies? *squinty eyes*
    We want more Monster Manuals.

Default Why not evil damage?

Quick draft:

Scion of the Ethereal Plane
    You are considered Blurry and you have Ghost Touch
    +3d6 Sneak Attack Dice, +5 Melee and Ranged Power
    +4 to all Skills
    Permanent Invis Guard, as per the item effect

Thoughts?
    that scales with Null in line with the other Arcane imbues?

It would be consistent with Alchemist.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Quote Originally Posted by thunir View Post
    that scales with Null in line with the other Arcane imbues?

It would be consistent with Alchemist.
    As much as I like the idea of introducing more spellpower-increased damage, Evil damage is radiance and not nullification, and only nullification items add poison spellpower. Any abilities that specifically grant negative spellpower don't additionally grant poison spellpower.

... Arborea ...
    Can we get a Scion of Ehlonna?

I'd like to petition the Planar Ranger Diety to get our 20% back. We're back in the pre-Ravenloft DPS stone-age now.
    We (artificer and mechanic) literally can't keep up with the damage our BARD is putting out, and he's doing actual AOE's.

We couldn't really before, but it's just that much worse now.

---------------------------------------------------------------

No more subs until retracted, Ranged of the World Unite!
    Last edited by DRoark; 02-05-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by DRoark View Post
    Can we get a Scion of Ehlonna?
    No new Scions in this update, sorry.

Unrelated, but if you'd like to set a forum signature, I believe it's somewhere in the user settings?
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

No new Scions in this update, sorry.

Unrelated, but if you'd like to set a forum signature, I believe it's somewhere in the user settings?
    I got a little lazy, but I tossed one in. )

I'm just hoping they actually fix my class someday. It's really not worth playing now, though I did like it.
    NO MORE MONEY UNTIL IPS NERF RETRACTED... Ranged of the World Unite!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRoark View Post
    We (artificer and mechanic) literally can't keep up with the damage our BARD is putting out, and he's doing actual AOE's.
    Sure repeater artis and rangers may be really far behind in terms of dps, but mechanics are certainly not. mechanic builds using 18 rog 2 art, or a deeper arti splash for fusilade are DPS beasts and even losing dps from rapid reload and IPS mechanic will still be queen of ranged dps (the king being inquisitive of course), after U45 I expect those rolls to be reversed with mechanic pulling ahead of inquisitive as it's only getting hit in two departs compared to everything about inquisitive getting the bat.

unless you're playing repeating mechanic in which case... don't.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavoredSoul View Post
    Sure repeater artis and rangers may be really far behind in terms of dps...
    I'm an arti usually, and I know from testing my DPS went down the crapper (almost a 28% loss over 10 parses). The mechanic did his own.
    NO MORE MONEY UNTIL IPS NERF RETRACTED... Ranged of the World Unite!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234