Community Member

Default Alternate IPS nerf

I was thinking of an alternate possibility of nerfing IPS.

Currently proposed is a less 20% damage on every target, even if you are only hitting one. How about if it was full damage on the first target and 20% less on the second, 40% on the third and so on. It would be less damage overall if hitting more than 3 targets compared to the original nerf. It also means that if you are hard targetting something that manages to get 5 other targets in front it would take 0% damage (targets in front would absorb all the damage). But would be less of a hit when hitting a single target or 2 targets.
    As of the current nerf, when you end up with a single target, most will just turn IPS off, as turning PS on puts a lot of stuff on a very long cooldown.

Numbers could be worked up a bit maybe.

Another idea I think would help is if PS was a passive bonus, always active whenever IPS is not turned on. That way, switching from IPS to PS wouldn't put you on that long cooldown.

Any thoughts on that?

I would like to see them copy the chain attack of warlocks and use that as improved precise shot, with no penalty to damage.

maybe make archers focus stance use the warlock cone attack

I mean, warlocks aren't 'over performing' so it must be ok...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    I would like to see them copy the chain attack of warlocks and use that as improved precise shot, with no penalty to damage.

That is a very intelligent suggestion. You have IPS logic to determine a set of targets, front to back, and you have 'chain' logic for damage progression. But each successive strike should suffer a percentage loss, because physics, not magic.

IPS does not need a nerf. The logic for which it needs a nerf is flawed
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    IPS does not need a nerf. The logic for which it needs a nerf is flawed
    I'm not one to ask for a nerf, but I'm trying at least mitigate some QoL changes that their proposed nerf will have. Most of the time IPS is up you are not hitting more than 2 targets (as in less than 50% of IPS hits are over 3 targets). A decreased damage per target while keeping full damage on the first would be a much smaller nerf to IPS while keeping it not as overpowered as many consider. I don't think it currently op in most situations, but if maybe it hit something like warlock chain with guaranteed max targets, then maybe yes, that would be OP. This would effectively put a 5 target cap on IPS too, but it is still probably better than what they are currently proposing.

On the other side, PS itself has been a lot less used since it was changed from % damage to RP and its best utility is the fact you are guaranteed to hit your target and not that vengeance reaper. They could also work on PS to not trigger such a long cooldown on other skills and for it to stack with every hit, including doubleshots, and not just once every 1 second. If not, the situations in which you will be able to reach max stacks will likely be less than we currently have with the movement restriction.

But maybe their idea for PS it that it is more a way to guarantee which target you hit and less for it to be a damage increase ability.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma View Post
    That is a very intelligent suggestion. You have IPS logic to determine a set of targets, front to back, and you have 'chain' logic for damage progression. But each successive strike should suffer a percentage loss, because physics, not magic.
    That's pretty much the idea.

Community Member

Yeah I'd love a version of IPS that was "chain shape" for ranged, even if it did have dropoff per additional target

I'd also love to have a "cone shape" for ranged, trading range for AOE

Community Member

I'm all for more shapes, but many people find IPS the most fun with the shape that it is. Only the numbers need tweaking, and giving full damage to the first target at least seems like a potential solution to placate the player base.

This will be my first suggestion on the forums as i rarely post anything.
    I feel like try to contribute this time because the Ranged playstyle in this game is my favorite next to Nuking as a caster.

We also need something in return to compensate and the proposed changes to Archer's Focus is not enough incitement to use it. As a ranged playing on single target mode is extremely annoying. Might work well in the back of a party... but since this game is heavily focused to soloing, no.
    They're also planning to buff Ranged (if i didn't misunderstand it) at a later date to compensate the nerf now, which honestly, will be way way too late.

I propose a change in the requirements to acquiring IPS.
    IPS autogranted instead and be turned into a scale-by-level feat.
    Still needing 19 DEX to take it.
    Remove the BAB and pre-req feats.

- Granted at level 3 -
    Your ranged attacks pass through and potentially damage up to 2 foes in the projectile's path.

- Level 6 -
    Your ranged attacks pass through and potentially damage up to 3 foes in the projectile's path.

- Level 9 -
    Your ranged attacks pass through and potentially damage up to 4 foes in the projectile's path.

- Level 12 -
    Your ranged attacks pass through and potentially damage all foes in the projectile's path.

If IPS REALLY needs to get a nerf, an alternative way to do this would be: the feat to be allowed right clicked on (like the Meta magic feats) and allow us to choose how many mobs we'd like to hit. Every option has a decrease in damage, starting from 3 foes.
    Something like:

- 3 foes, -5% damage decrease
    - 4 foes, -10% damage decrease
    - all foes, -20% damage decrease
    Last edited by Spl1tz; 01-18-2020 at 12:14 AM.
    Jaigle- Jaizle - Zhentas - Envie - EE solo album - Youtube Channel
    ex Devourer player

another alternate IPS idea... dont screw with the existing IPS its just fine the way it is...
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    another alternate IPS idea... dont screw with the existing IPS its just fine the way it is...
    Of course, i'd rather this. But as the way things are, the are set on changing it...
    The only thing we can do is influence the way they're gonna go about it.
    It's better than complain and do nothing.
    Jaigle- Jaizle - Zhentas - Envie - EE solo album - Youtube Channel
    ex Devourer player

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spl1tz View Post
    Of course, i'd rather this. But as the way things are, the are set on changing it...
    Yeah according to the Devs in the Dev Chat event on Lama it's not a matter of IF only a matter of to what degree and how.

Personally, I think there's room to improve IPS as is into (as mentioned above) various shapes for various situations. A shatter shot that does full damage to first target them shatters to hit enemies for reduced damage behind it, A power shot that deals increased damage to a single target and pushes it back, A penetrating shot (similar to the proposed ISP with some number of reduced damage to all targets), Quick Shot that deals reduced damage per shot with a significant increase to speed.

The possibilities are endless. Personally feel its high time ranged has to put some effort into managing their proper damage output in various situations as currently ISP is the end-all-be-all of ranged characters. It's never a bad/wrong choice. In that light I can see how/why they want to bring it down some, but I do agree there are better ways than just an outright power down with not much incentive to use something else (of course there's currently only one other option and that's Basic Precise Shot). Even with the slight changes to Precise shot to try to make it feel more appealing for single target DPS, it really didn't feel that great. Hoping in round 2 on Lama they at least make it feel like the right choice for single target rather than the mandatory for bosses or eat a 20% damage penalty
    I'm a Bard... I don't just take down enemies... I do it with style!... oh and lots of Music Buffs.

Community Member

This will be my first suggestion on the forums as i rarely post anything.
    I feel like try to contribute this time because the Ranged playstyle in this game is my favorite next to Nuking as a caster.

We also need something in return to compensate and the proposed changes to Archer's Focus is not enough incitement to use it. As a ranged playing on single target mode is extremely annoying. Might work well in the back of a party... but since this game is heavily focused to soloing, no.
    They're also planning to buff Ranged (if i didn't misunderstand it) at a later date to compensate the nerf now, which honestly, will be way way too late.

I propose a change in the requirements to acquiring IPS.
    IPS autogranted instead and be turned into a scale-by-level feat.
    Still needing 19 DEX to take it.
    Remove the BAB and pre-req feats.

- Granted at level 3 -
    Your ranged attacks pass through and potentially damage up to 2 foes in the projectile's path.

- Level 6 -
    Your ranged attacks pass through and potentially damage up to 3 foes in the projectile's path.

- Level 9 -
    Your ranged attacks pass through and potentially damage up to 4 foes in the projectile's path.

- Level 12 -
    Your ranged attacks pass through and potentially damage all foes in the projectile's path.

If IPS REALLY needs to get a nerf, an alternative way to do this would be: the feat to be allowed right clicked on (like the Meta magic feats) and allow us to choose how many mobs we'd like to hit. Every option has a decrease in damage, starting from 3 foes.
    Something like:

- 3 foes, -5% damage decrease
    - 4 foes, -10% damage decrease
    - all foes, -20% damage decrease
    your not thinking like STG your idea would require effort and cost them time and money....slapping on a -20% damage is just a standard DDO nerf... no fuss no muss do care for who it drives away from the game.

Remeber the AC nerf from back in the day? i had allot of friends stop playing ddo over that. I stuck around though, i turned off my VIP for a year so they lost some cash over that but this will be my last straw. There are plenty of new games out there that have not kicked my in the shins, over and over. If they go through with this IPS nerf than i can free up the money i would have spent on VIP and try out a new game. I started playing DDO because it was a close approximation of 3.5 D&D. it has changed allot and keeps changing but this may be my bridge to far. They have broken melee so bad the only way to fix it seems to hobble the ranged characters. I agree that Inquz needed a nerf but leave the rest of us ranged dps alone. I do not want to leave but i am tired of them changing another part of the game to fix the part they broke.

Community Member

Its letting them know its not broken. Its a good feat. Its got a 19 dex requirement and 2 feats to get it as well as a BAB of +11 that pushes it up to higher levels for anyone not a ranger or fighter.

If the think its OP then thats because the have had melee so beat down that they will grab at any nerf to feel better about under performance on there part. Cleave should have always been a full hits (with crit chance and proxs) on everything in front of you and Whirlwind a full circle. That and the 2WF from years ago dramatically dropping the attacks you got.

They knock us down then throw a bone like Double strike and melee power at us and tell us we should be glad there helping us out. So its ok if you dust your spouse off and help her up after you smacked her. Well lots of my friends have learned to leave abusive relationships and i was the sap who stayed thinking. They only did it because i needed it...they wouldn't do it again...well this IPS change will be it for me i know when i am not wanted. I can pack up my VIP subscription and try another game out.

Default It Raises a Red Flag

When you have ONE CLASS (or build) that is dominating the characters in a game by a very large percentage, it raises at least a yellow flag.

When you have ONE CLASS that is producing the most damage by far and out killing every other character in the game, it raises a yellow flag.

When every other character type or build quests with ONE CLASS in particular and ALL mobs are dead before they even make contact, it raises a yellow flag.

When the larger percentage of players that like to play other characters than Inquisitive cross-bow users complain about not contributing or getting bored, it raises a yellow flag.

When the players that play Inquisitives tell other players what's the point in playing any other class but my ONE CLASS because you don't do enough damage, it raises a yellow flag.

If I am a business owner of a game like this and see the larger percentage of my base upset and get bored, IT RAISES A RED FLAG. It's time to make a change.
    Last edited by shores11; 01-23-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Rather than nerf IPS, I'd love to see them finally change manyshot from a short buff to a toggle. That'd solve a lot of problems with bows.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I'd also love to have a "cone shape" for ranged, trading range for AOE
    We already have that, look up "Fan of Knives" in Vistani.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

If there must be a nerf, I would like it to be, 100% damage to hard target, then 80% to the rest.

Would prefer no nerf to IPS.