Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Unfortunately for warpriest though it still sucks.
    I've been tweaking a Favored Soul built with Falconry; I'm pretty pleased overall. Next life will be even more smoothly running, since I chose to use non-Favored weapons this life. More AP to spend elsewhere. It's not ranged- thank God. The coming Nerfillade on all stringed missile weapons would have made me up and quit.

Harper Alchemist will be the new demigods of the plane.
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell or mail to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I've mentioned this here and there on the Lama forums but since you ask...

Its got too many features all at once. The key to meta builds in DDO is finding optimal synergy, and this class synergizes way too much. Its the same complaint people had about Inqui - its got everything all nicely tied up together in one package, freeing up opportunity choices that can be used to pair it with other stuff.

You have a class that has INT to everything including 2 saves with Evasion, full support for simple throwers (including multiple ROF boosts, +1/+1 crit and Poison imbue with built-in immunity break), self-heals and buffs and cleanses, a temp HP bubble, lots of AOE helpless CC and debuffs, high AOE DPS, INT to hit/dmg native, and bonus feats. Just about the only things its lacking are armor (no big deal) and a trance (which is just 8 AP away in Harper).

The goal may have been to force some internal tradeoffs through the Reaction system but that really didnt materialize - there's usually one Reaction that's obvious BIS for a given build, giving you something much more useful than what you're giving up in the other Reactions. Same for the Alch feat list, there's an obvious choice at 4/8/12 and the others arent really useful.

The end result is a class that offers a whole lot as a small splash, offers even more as a deep splash, or can be built pure and have all the best parts of Divine and Arcane casting all rolled into one. Its like its supposed to be a "jack of all trades" profession but ends up being a master of them all. Its not that any one element is inherently OP, they're all just "full power" - but its having ALL those elements available simultaneously that makes it too strong. When you look at the other options for INT builds - Rogue, Wiz, Arti, or any Martial class with Harper - there's just way too much synergy possible. Same as Inqui was, being able to tack a complete ranged toolkit onto any build.
    Agree with others pretty good write up. You forgot to mention endless haste, damage, spell power, and sprint boost. Sure they have a slightly longer cool down but you have as many as you want.

There are just very little draw backs or weaknesses to the class. As nice as their spell book is it is almost too inclusive of goodies from every other class out there.

Remove displacement from their spell list at least make them work for something. Oh and can anyone confirm if all the dr30 gold skin, stone skin etc stack? I did not test that very much. If they do they definitely should not for balance reasons.

Community Member

The spells feel a little disjointed, and kinda unbalanced. Fvs gets a first level spell, I think it's nimbus, and frankly it's horrible. The vials that alchemist gets at first level easily get more damage then most other first level spells. I will admit that it was nice to see an un-nerfed version of hell ball returning as a level 5 spell - Elemental Combination - maybe we can un nerf a epic feat to be on par?
    ~Kozha~
    Obnoxious Officer of Down 'n' Dirty
    Gland

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carrow12 View Post
    The spells feel a little disjointed, and kinda unbalanced. Fvs gets a first level spell, I think it's nimbus, and frankly it's horrible. The vials that alchemist gets at first level easily get more damage then most other first level spells. I will admit that it was nice to see an un-nerfed version of hell ball returning as a level 5 spell - Elemental Combination - maybe we can un nerf a epic feat to be on par?
    There wasn't a divine spell damage pass.
    The level 1 alchemist spells deal about as much damage as the new Wizard slow-moving ones.

My issue with it is I thought there wasn't a Divine damage spell pass because classes with native healing spells didn't need a bigger focus on damage, but Alchemists get both and have the increased damage dice Wizard spells got.

Community Member

I'm feeling like the doom sayers haven't played the class.

I did. Up to level 12, about 14 hours of playtime in total, messing around a lot, changing builds etc.

You need not fear.

While the class excellent crowd control of several flavors (trip/glue/freeze/flesh to gold), the point blank area of effect nature of the spells makes them tricky/dangerous to use. No mass holds/earthquakes here. Also, with only six spell levels, and the CC spread from 1-5, you're going to be using heighten on them, and you'll still be down on DC's.

While the class has versatile AOE, the lack of spells/spell slots, mean if you go all out for nuking, you don't have any utility. You'll squeeze in displacement and stoneskin, but that is it.

I have an EK. The poison damage isn't scaling like spell blade damage. Maybe not working as it should?

I don't see the alchemy dart chucker bringing as much damage as the 10k stars shuriken chucker.

Ya'll really need to load up Lam and play when a preview hits, you'll be less likely to over react when you have first hand play time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blase View Post

I did. Up to level 12, about 14 hours of playtime in total, messing around a lot, changing builds etc.

You need not fear.

While the class excellent crowd control of several flavors (trip/glue/freeze/flesh to gold), the point blank area of effect nature of the spells makes them tricky/dangerous to use. No mass holds/earthquakes here. Also, with only six spell levels, and the CC spread from 1-5, you're going to be using heighten on them, and you'll still be down on DC's.

While the class has versatile AOE, the lack of spells/spell slots, mean if you go all out for nuking, you don't have any utility. You'll squeeze in displacement and stoneskin, but that is it.

I have an EK. The poison damage isn't scaling like spell blade damage. Maybe not working as it should?

I don't see the alchemy dart chucker bringing as much damage as the 10k stars shuriken chucker.

Ya'll really need to load up Lam and play when a preview hits, you'll be less likely to over react when you have first hand play time.
    A buddy of mine was able to get the DPS boss kobald in 8 seconds with a 12 alch splash. Not to mention all the buffs and endless action boost as well. It's as if shuri meta was back, only this time they got heals, cc, action boosts, and all of the most relevant buffs in the game (GH, Displace, +4 alch bonus to stats, etc.). You're also focusing int, so you can trap, have higher DCs on your spells, scale with spellblades and poison from your alch cores, and get KTA from harper for even more damage. Who needs armor when you're ranged and can kite anyways? That's what most ranged classes are: glass cannons. Especially since you have cc anyways, everything will be helpless whenever you're moving through the quest.

As Droid said it's not just the solid damage at cap, but the "No disadvantages" aspect of the class.
    Icedtea - CashierTwo - Jolyrancher - Arrance - Antiquary - &4/5 more
    Proud member of The Dead Poets Society

Last edited by Kutalp; 01-17-2020 at 04:28 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kutalp View Post
    The 1nquisit0r

The 4lchemit0r
    To be fair, I'm internally seeing this Terminator image in my head every time somebody writes Inquisitor instead of Inquisitive.

Inquisitor is a divine caster class.
    Inquisitive is a slightly more murderous Sherlock Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    To be fair, I'm internally seeing this Terminator image in my head every time somebody writes Inquisitor instead of Inquisitive.

Inquisitor is a divine caster class.
    Inquisitive is a slightly more murderous Sherlock Holmes.

I am glad to see that, you get the p01nt. I hope I could make fellow pl4y3rs and d3v3l0p3rs smile.
    Last edited by Kutalp; 01-17-2020 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevth View Post
    I've been tweaking a Favored Soul built with Falconry; I'm pretty pleased overall. Next life will be even more smoothly running, since I chose to use non-Favored weapons this life. More AP to spend elsewhere. It's not ranged- thank God. The coming Nerfillade on all stringed missile weapons would have made me up and quit.
    The fact that most FvS players choose to focus on Vistani or Falconry (or Host forbid Inqui) is the clearest evidence to the fact that Warsoul sucks. There is some borderline useful stuff in there, but comparing side-by-side with the universal trees, it just doesn't compare.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Of course our intentional is to release a balanced and fun class. That being said, without specifics, I'm kind of unsure as to what specifically you think is overperforming. If you have any details we're all ears.
    Will be an early adopter this time ( got in late on the Inq boat and regretting it), so i am fine with path of least resistance.

What others** are probably trying to say is that a full casting class is getting a single stat to top notch defenses as well as competitive DPS to 0 utility builds that dont have built in self sufficiency, buffs, cc and anything else really. ( and correct me if im wrong, i am dumb like 70% of the time :P )

((( I could actually pin point you to the specs, but really not worth it to get both bashed down by the community as well as the devs, not that i care about my credibility as if i was trying to get a bank loan or a college admission on a gaming forum :P. )))

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Will be an early adopter this time ( got in late on the Inq boat and regretting it), so i am fine with path of least resistance.

What others** are probably trying to say is that a full casting class is getting a single stat to top notch defenses as well as competitive DPS to 0 utility builds that dont have built in self sufficiency, buffs, cc and anything else really. ( and correct me if im wrong, i am dumb like 70% of the time :P )

((( I could actually pin point you to the specs, but really not worth it to get both bashed down by the community as well as the devs, not that i care about my credibility as if i was trying to get a bank loan or a college admission on a gaming forum :P. )))

You are certainly not a dumb person dear janave. You made the point.

Systems Designer

Why would we do that? If you see something wrong, please do tell us so we can fix it. If you would like, you are also more than welcome to PM me or anyone else about things like this (or anything else really).
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Community Member

Yes, please pin point something like Nightforge spike being a ML 8 throwing dart with 16-20/x3 Crit range/mult while darts are regularly 20/x2

Quote Originally Posted by Zeleron View Post
    Yes, please pin point something like Nightforge spike being a ML 8 throwing dart with 16-20/x3 Crit range/mult while darts are regularly 20/x2
    It's not the weapon, it's how it's used and how the systems use it.

Lots of daggers like Sky Captain's Dagger or Nightforge Stiletto got the limelight when Vistani got released, and that wasn't the end of the world.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Why would we do that? If you see something wrong, please do tell us so we can fix it. If you would like, you are also more than welcome to PM me or anyone else about things like this (or anything else really).

Thanks for being a good developer and person.

Quote Originally Posted by Blase View Post

You need not fear.

Similar reviews of inquisitive were posted in the Lama stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

And it's not as if Alchemist even has to be good.

We need to buy it if we want to keep/get Completionist, so it's not like people are going to fail to buy the class.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaeveTuohy View Post
    Stellar analysis.
    Only thing I'd add, i believe a saw full BAB in there too for throwers. It's got it all.

Community Member

Of course our intentional is to release a balanced and fun class. That being said, without specifics, I'm kind of unsure as to what specifically you think is overperforming. If you have any details we're all ears.
    I hate to say it because I would love to exploit... err use it but nerf the nightforge dart now, with full alch throwing support it will be the new ratcatcher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast