Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Anyone have a link or a copy of that quote from sev about soulstones and resurrecting?
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    All of our balance changes are aimed at the game as a whole. We do want players playing on the Hardcore server to have consistent play during the season and to be able to adopt strategies that won’t drastically change, and we did mean to say that we plan to target balance changes so they mostly happen between Hardcore seasons. We don’t want balance changes to be driven by Hardcore play.
    I don't think changes should even consider how hardcore is impacted what so ever. I mean, it's cute that you made a "hardcore" server, but it has nothing to do with the game. First of all, some of your most loyal customers are completed excluded from playing on the hardcore server. Furthermore, perma death has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanics of the game. Nothing. You might as well make a server where players can only wield wands, or pick any other completely random solitary aspect of the game and apply an arbitrary rule to it, such gimmicks should have zero impact on players playing the actual game. Oh I know, how about a server where you can only walk backwards! Perhaps a server where you can't turn to the left or a server where you have to jump to cast spells.

Such silly nonsense might be a fun little momentary distraction, but it has nothing to do with the game and the game should have nothing to do with it.
    The Final Victory Tour!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude View Post
    I don't think changes should even consider how hardcore is impacted what so ever. I mean, it's cute that you made a "hardcore" server, but it has nothing to do with the game. First of all, some of your most loyal customers are completed excluded from playing on the hardcore server. Furthermore, perma death has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanics of the game. Nothing. You might as well make a server where players can only wield wands, or pick any other completely random solitary aspect of the game and apply an arbitrary rule to it, such gimmicks should have zero impact on players playing the actual game. Oh I know, how about a server where you can only walk backwards! Perhaps a server where you can't turn to the left or a server where you have to jump to cast spells.

Such silly nonsense might be a fun little momentary distraction, but it has nothing to do with the game and the game should have nothing to do with it.

I agree that changes should not be based on HC play experience.

However, hardcore (permadeath) is indeed a play style embraced by many within the DDO community (for challenge) and in PnP. The examples you listed are in no way comparable.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quikster View Post
    Oh rly?? Is that why my boarding pass has a ridiculous animation attached to it now? Because you don't balance for hardcore play? Where else does it matter if I can teleport out quickly from somewhere no matter the class I play?

Oh yes btw, I paid you extra for that, you gave me something exceptional, for a time....

Now you change it because?

Sorry, I think you are fibbing.
    Just for the sake of correctness the boarding pass change is not "game balance". As for the pathetic hunks of flesh that used it on hardcore and now diminished its value; Can you make using it in a quest on hardcore instant death please ( if you think that's too harsh HEH ... I would prefer a character ban but at the LEAST disable it on hardcore) and put back the instant teleport for the regular servers

Community Member

Changes aren't made based on Hard Core per-se, they are made based on SSG's bottom line, and that bottom line was greatly enhanced with Hard Core. It's the same reason they waited this long to nerf Inquisitive until suspiciously right before another please-buy-me class is being released. They are going to release another Hard Core server, that will entail a bunch of people spending money to buy points, then spending points to enhance their HC toon based on current game balance when HC goes live. This means virtually everything they are adjusting is to cater to HC in a round-about fashion. Expect another set of "balances" right before the next expansion gets released.

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    Changes aren't made based on Hard Core per-se, they are made based on SSG's bottom line, and that bottom line was greatly enhanced with Hard Core. It's the same reason they waited this long to nerf Inquisitive until suspiciously right before another please-buy-me class is being released. They are going to release another Hard Core server, that will entail a bunch of people spending money to buy points, then spending points to enhance their HC toon based on current game balance when HC goes live. This means virtually everything they are adjusting is to cater to HC in a round-about fashion. Expect another set of "balances" right before the next expansion gets released.
    I agree. Despite what we're being told, it's way too easy to get to "building around HCL" with the changes that have been presented. IPS has been in the game, to be a bit hyperbolic, forever, and yet, it has never been an issue, until ranged builds could excel in HCL, along with Inquisitive issues. Add to this the next class has a ranged tree, which would also benefit, and it gets really easy to believe that HCL is the driving force behind these changes. If all businesses are driven by profits, and they are, not much point in being a business if you're not, and HCL increases those profits, there are no assumptions needed, when weighing all the changes that suddenly become problematic in the meta, when they haven't been since their introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisck2 View Post
    This. I don't play any kind of stealth toon, but it does seem like this is repeatedly not replied to. Am I missing something?
    They have ignored pretty much every question for 3 years, and continued making unpopular changes without seeking player input.

I fully recognize they need an all-hands-on-board response to both IPS changes and how they are balancing or not balancing around hardcore, but at some point you would think there would be a "we are too busy but we will get to you" if there was any intention of actually responding to the player base.

No other play base has gotten ignored in this manner.

-Noko
    - inactive player -

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldschool View Post
    It's like they've been ordered to make no comments.
    I called them out on this quite a while ago.

Your feeling is a fact.

Lamannia is for people other than stealth players to post and engage in conversation during changes.
    Last edited by nokowi; 01-22-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    - inactive player -

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldschool View Post
    Even when they specifically propose changes to the stealth mechanics, you again see no dev interaction. It's like they've been ordered to make no comments ... Why is it such a forbidden topic?
    Well, the first rule of Stealth Club is that you don't talk about Stealth Club.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    You might not realize it, but you’re also hurting melee survivability with the Strikethrough changes as well. Once upon a time, Axer/Shade said “WASD is all the AC I need” and there really is something to that. Movement in combat is DDO’s best feature for me and for a lot of other people, I’m sure. Making the primary benefit of THF not work while moving doesn’t make any more sense than having offhand attacks stop working in TWF while moving.

There are so many changes here that you seem to think are boosts that are actually nerfs. I get that you’re trying to make the game better. This pass is not making that happen, though.
    I 100% AGREE WITH Shade's thought process (and yours) on this. I used to call it "EDUCATED FEET". Its the most fun part for me when I play my 2 handed weapon fighter Aandre.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

"Glancing blows game-wide have been replaced with a new mechanic: strikethrough. While wielding a two-handed weapon, or while wielding a bastard sword or dwarven axe in your main hand and a shield, orb, rune arm, or nothing in your offhand, your attacks can strikethrough. When your attacks can strikethrough, every attack has a chance ("strikethrough chance") to hit an additional target. By default, players have a 20% strikethrough chance (which can be improved through feats and enhancements), and cannot strikethrough while moving. If your strikethrough chance is over 100%, you are guaranteed to hit a second target (if in range) on your attacks, with a chance to hit a third. By default, you can only strikethrough while standing still."

Strikethrough is A HOT MESS

This is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE nerf to so many builds and a HORRIBLE IDEA. Perhaps the worst nerf I've ever seen in the game's history. This will affect TOO MANY BUILDS in the wrong way.

Recommendation?

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    You might not realize it, but you’re also hurting melee survivability with the Strikethrough changes as well. Once upon a time, Axer/Shade said “WASD is all the AC I need” and there really is something to that. Movement in combat is DDO’s best feature for me and for a lot of other people, I’m sure. Making the primary benefit of THF not work while moving doesn’t make any more sense than having offhand attacks stop working in TWF while moving.

There are so many changes here that you seem to think are boosts that are actually nerfs. I get that you’re trying to make the game better. This pass is not making that happen, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    "Glancing blows game-wide have been replaced with a new mechanic: strikethrough. While wielding a two-handed weapon, or while wielding a bastard sword or dwarven axe in your main hand and a shield, orb, rune arm, or nothing in your offhand, your attacks can strikethrough. When your attacks can strikethrough, every attack has a chance ("strikethrough chance") to hit an additional target. By default, players have a 20% strikethrough chance (which can be improved through feats and enhancements), and cannot strikethrough while moving. If your strikethrough chance is over 100%, you are guaranteed to hit a second target (if in range) on your attacks, with a chance to hit a third. By default, you can only strikethrough while standing still."

Strikethrough is A HOT MESS

This is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE nerf to so many builds and a HORRIBLE IDEA. Perhaps the worst nerf I've ever seen in the game's history. This will affect TOO MANY BUILDS in the wrong way.
    Reminder that - just as you cannot currently Glancing Blow while moving without the first THF feat - the strikethrough without moving restriction is lifted with the first THF feat. Here's the actual wording from the post that you are quoting from, for your convenience:

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    The Two Handed Fighting Feat is now: "While Two-Handed Fighting: +20% Strikethrough Chance. You can now Strikethrough while moving.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE. 100%

If Hardcore is big bucks.. which I believe it very well might be, Copy the game and change it for the new HC RULES. Leave the ORIGINAL GAME ALONE! We should have 2 icons on our desktop. STANDARD and HARDCORE.

Combining it into ONE GAME will be a disaster if it changes the rules (and it already did) for standard play (the overwhelming majority of the playerbase).
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 01-23-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Reminder that - just as you cannot currently Glancing Blow while moving without the first THF feat - the strikethrough without moving restriction is lifted with the first THF feat. Here's the actual wording from the post that you are quoting from, for your convenience:
    I get that. But there is NO GOOD SELL for a feature designed to nerf Two Handed Fighting because of HC. There should be NO CHANGES made to standard play to appease HC. They need to be two separate entities.

What is going on with the math here? What are you NOT telling us? If it FEELS different, it IS different.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 01-23-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Community Member

I get that. But there is NO GOOD SELL for a feature designed to nerf Two Handed Fighting because of HC. There should be NO CHANGES made to standard play to appease HC. They need to be two separate entities.

What is going on with the math here? What are you NOT telling us? If it FEELS different, it IS different.
    Understanding how developers do stuff has all this make sense. Somewhere during a brain storming / early development session someone came up with the idea of "StrikeThrough" as a replacement for Glancing Blows to fix Two Handed Fighting. They modeled / prototyped it, showed it to the team and got the buy off from the lead to start work and viola it was coded. They finished coding it, released it for User Acceptance Testing (that's us) and major problems ensued. The original assumptions the developer who wrote that idea and developed the code were very wrong, remember these are the guys that thought crits worked on Glancing Blows when they don't. Garbage in means garbage out, if the assumptions behind a model are wrong, then the model itself is wrong and the resulting system will be bad.

Of course trying to tell a coder they screwed up is like telling a painter they used the wrong colors, hair on fire rage and arrogance ensues. They will deny it and refuse to fix it unless a higher power gets involved. I work with developers every day and ones with the humility to admit their idea or implementation of an idea was fundamentally bad are super rare, normally I just have a conversation with the development manager and they override the developers objections to changing their perfect idea.

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    Understanding how developers do stuff has all this make sense. Somewhere during a brain storming / early development session someone came up with the idea of "StrikeThrough" as a replacement for Glancing Blows to fix Two Handed Fighting. They modeled / prototyped it, showed it to the team and got the buy off from the lead to start work and viola it was coded. They finished coding it, released it for User Acceptance Testing (that's us) and major problems ensued. The original assumptions the developer who wrote that idea and developed the code were very wrong, remember these are the guys that thought crits worked on Glancing Blows when they don't. Garbage in means garbage out, if the assumptions behind a model are wrong, then the model itself is wrong and the resulting system will be bad.

Of course trying to tell a coder they screwed up is like telling a painter they used the wrong colors, hair on fire rage and arrogance ensues. They will deny it and refuse to fix it unless a higher power gets involved. I work with developers every day and ones with the humility to admit their idea or implementation of an idea was fundamentally bad are super rare, normally I just have a conversation with the development manager and they override the developers objections to changing their perfect idea.
    Yep. And I thought retail management was the only forked up system at the top when I was a youngin' makin my start in the world after 12 years of Catholic school! ~~
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 01-23-2020 at 01:17 PM.

fwiw they also said later that HC is not the cause of any changes, but merely the cause of their timing (i.e. not during a season)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    fwiw they also said later that HC is not the cause of any changes, but merely the cause of their timing (i.e. not during a season)
    That would be a good thing, but then WHY would they mess with combat with such a broad brush stroke then?

Strikethrough is A HOT MESS and is not ready for PRIME TIME.

That's my opinion until I see proof to the contrary. I need to see a REAL SELL from the devs, AND A DEMAND from the playerbase for this change.

I see neither from my vantage.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 01-23-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Community Member

I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE. 100%

If Hardcore is big bucks.. which I believe it very well might be, Copy the game and change it for the new HC RULES. Leave the ORIGINAL GAME ALONE! We should have 2 icons on our desktop. STANDARD and HARDCORE.

Combining it into ONE GAME will be a disaster if it changes the rules (and it already did) for standard play (the overwhelming majority of the playerbase).
    I dont want to see Strikethrough in HCL either in its current state.

Systems Designer

Strikethrough is A HOT MESS and is not ready for PRIME TIME.
    That's the entire point of having a preview server - to preview things before they're fully ready.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast