Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Per The Devs - DDO Now Being Designed Around Priorities of HC League!!

The Lamania U45 release notes, posted by Cocomajobo on 1/14/20, contain the following language:

Hello, all! Update 45 is expected to contain a large amount of changes to systems balance in DDO. These are being done in preparation for Hardcore Season 2. Going forward we the plan is to pool most major balance changes into updates/patches that arrive before the start of new Hardcore seasons in order to make the new season feel distinct and different from previous seasons. For Hardcore season 2 this primarily takes the form of changes to Ranged Combat, Two Handed Fighting Melee Combat, and a Knight of the Chalice revamp.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?? Going forward this entire game is being designed around the priorities and needs of the Hardcore league??

This is short-sighted and will lead to a loss of customers who play on the live serves but don't want to participate in HC League. The last time HC League was operating, many of the live servers were almost empty. They were ghost towns. It was difficult, and sometimes impossible, to fill raid parties. I will consider taking a break from the game the next time HC League is active. It's just not fun playing this game when there is nobody to play with.

Also, why would you design a game around an event you plan to run a few times per year, rather than design it around the regular live servers that are open all year long? Are you giving up on the live servers?

IMO, HC League was a money-grabbing gimmick. No thank you.

Please explain your rationale behind this decision before I renew my VIP membership.

Server merge should happen if they are going to use that rationale. The target should be: People who choose NOT to participate in HC would then have a shared game space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Eeew, another hardcore league. I guess they either want to milk their previous moneygrab success, or they lack inspiration for something different. In either case disappointing xD

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Server merge should happen if they are going to use that rationale. The target should be: People who choose NOT to participate in HC would then have a shared game space.
    They have already started actively engaging in a server merge.

In the near future all servers will merge with the concurrency zero bound. Insta-merge!

Quote Originally Posted by Epicstorms View Post
    Eeew, another hardcore league. I guess they either want to milk their previous moneygrab success, or they lack inspiration for something different. In either case disappointing xD
    This is 100% correct.
    Funny sig goes here.

burp
    Last edited by fatherpirate; 01-19-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicstorms View Post
    Reaper mode almost got me quit for good, my friend was wiser than me. If HCL becomes the main focus of development I follow..from what responses I ve seen so far we wont be alone

care level = zero
    Last edited by fatherpirate; 01-19-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Community Member

HCL was a great success and i enjoyed it. There were a lot of new players right along side the experienced players making it very inclusive for all.

A server merge is necessary at this point after seeing the ghost towns in the regular servers during the last league. Many people have a lot of time and money invested in the regular game and were left feeling alone and shafted.

I'm not VIP and rarely do reaper runs, but personally I have no issue if SSG decides to center updates around HC server, if it wont make things harder for those who don't do HC.

First HC was apparently huge success, and if money lies there I'm for it.

Just let me play DDO as I've played so far without putting hurdles just because someone found an exploit (Amber temple "fixes", I'm looking at you).

My 2 cents.

i don't mind another HC league. i don't have access to it but i don't care to, LFG is a ghost town either way, no skin off my nose

i do mind very strongly systems being balanced around HC league. this isn't a PVP game, so it's not balanced around PVP. this isn't a permadeath game, it shouldn't be balanced around permadeath. if it's going to be made a permadeath game, go ahead and tell us now so i can start finding another game to play

Community Manager

Sev has clarified things here.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Sev has clarified things here.

Hello Cordovan. Thank you very much for the heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdbEx7nuczo
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    No Money = No Game

Yes Standing Stone needs to make money.
    Fewer players, less money, less development. Your point isn't the point you were trying to make.

Community Member

To be fair, Hardcore is very close to new player experience.

Dying might not be permanent, and quest knowledge left to be acquired, but all the extra power accumulated over time is now gone.

If devs find that some things screw things up while everything else is accounted for for, well, not being there, it's a good way to find outliers.

This area is being re-imagined for future guest enjoyment.
    Last edited by fatherpirate; 01-19-2020 at 10:29 PM.

To be more correct...
    The developers are on record to say that they are balancing the game BETWEEN HC dates to prevent a situation where the game
    rules suddenly change IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONTEST.
    The changes were coming regardless of HC. They just didn't want to do them in the middle of it.
    and that makes sense.

A big balancing was long overdue...
    except they also clearly stated they wanted each HC session to feel different and unique so to SOME degree these changes are being driven by the HC server play as well. The desire to ensure that changes ALSO don't happen during HC play is admirable and a really REALLY good idea for them as well.

But let's be honest here, does anyone think the removal of level 1 30 resists isn't being 100% driven by the HC server? It's in their best interest to try and have you die often so you are purchasing multiples of store items. especially those maniacs that were tomes and bags and the like. Hell having a cake in HC was essential as it could pop you up if you were negative and bleeding out to prevent that death. Personally I ate a couple for sure and it worked like a hot damn. I don't see that being nerfed and it's because on the HC server you only get one for free so if you used it you bought another from the store. I had a stack of 6 or 7 I brought over from the HC server with the toon I transferred that were leftover from the bulk order I made. I'd be shocked if that changed, and we all know it won't because it's a money maker. Resist shrines that were bought with Plat, at best 0 revenue but more likely a loss.

To be clear though, the original statement and clarification are not, at all, mutually exclusive. The way I read it is that HC is the push they are using to make some of the changes (and in some cases they could be ones they wanted to make anyway I will grant) and the HC server is absolutely dictating the timing of those changes.

HC league is a great place to see how pure builds perform against each other.

However obviously they completely ignored the data on Warlocks

To be more correct...
    The developers are on record to say that they are balancing the game BETWEEN HC dates to prevent a situation where the game
    rules suddenly change IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONTEST.
    The changes were coming regardless of HC. They just didn't want to do them in the middle of it.
    and that makes sense.

A big balancing was long overdue...
    Interesting, that's not what my take away is from this, emphasis mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    Disclaimer
    Everything seen on the preview server, Lamannia, is not final and is subject to change or removal before live release.

Hello, all! Update 45 is expected to contain a large amount of changes to systems balance in DDO. These are being done in preparation for Hardcore Season 2. Going forward we the plan is to pool most major balance changes into updates/patches that arrive before the start of new Hardcore seasons in order to make the new season feel distinct and different from previous seasons.
    Or from this, again emphasis mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    Disclaimer
    Everything seen on the preview server, Lamannia, is not final and is subject to change or removal before live release.

For some context about these changes:

As we approach each Hardcore season, one of our goals is to make changes that change how you build and play characters - We want to shake up builds and strategies, and it makes sense to align these game-wide changes with the release of new seasons of the Hardcore League. Season 2 is coming very soon, so U45 contains a lot of the balance changes for the season.
    There's more, but I'm sure you get the point, yes? So "balancing" the game to shake up the seasons isn't building for the seasons? It seems like a direct contradiction of that from where I'm sitting.

Community Member

Guys, please read the link Cordovan posted upthread:

"All of our balance changes are aimed at the game as a whole. We do want players playing on the Hardcore server to have consistent play during the season and to be able to adopt strategies that won’t drastically change, and we did mean to say that we plan to target balance changes so they mostly happen between Hardcore seasons. We don’t want balance changes to be driven by Hardcore play."

ie, HCL is not driving balance changes, and balance changes will happen between HC seasons so as to not disrupt HC midstream, and:

"I want to reiterate that the removal of those amenities (bank, AH, mailbox, XP shrine) is a bug that has since been corrected"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast