Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I just wondered whether a potion of Ranged Power influences throwing vials of Alchemists ? Does a potion of Ranged Power influence Vial Of Sparks, for example ?
    No, their scaling entirely handled via Spell Power.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    To be very clear, the change to IPS does not specifically have to do with Inquisitive overperforming. It is the result of evaluating the way that Ranged Weapon Users interact with the overall build meta and (especially) melees.

We hadn't designed a spell for that in Alchemist, but you can pick up Magic Missile immunity from Core 2 of Apothecary!
    Missed that feature. Thank you.
    Kobeyashi | Ying

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw2000 View Post
    The past life is +1 Transmutation DC and 20 Maximum Spell Points.
    What is the source for this information? Are you just speculating, or have the devs put out something official somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    What is the source for this information? Are you just speculating, or have the devs put out something official somewhere?
    I heard this multiple times on lammania. I assume people TR'd from alchemist to see it.
    Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Default Molotov cocktail

It would be awesome to see a little more damage on this. If it’s the same damage as firewall (2d6 base and then 1 per caster level), then it will end up not being used at end game. The problem with all of these damage over time spells is the lack of scaling into epics because it’s only giving you a +1 to damage every caster level/levels. So it would be cool to see this spell scale a little better into epics with like a1d4+1 or 1d4+2 per 2 caster levels. Something like that would allow dots to progress into the later content.

What is the source for this information?
    Lamannia testing.

Purchased Alch PL is +1 UMD and a 1/rest clickie that replenishes mana, based on level. At level 30, it's 160 (maybe 165?) mana.
    Kobeyashi | Ying

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    I just wondered whether a potion of Ranged Power influences throwing vials of Alchemists ? Does a potion of Ranged Power influence Vial Of Sparks, for example ?
    The Alchemist Vial spells are strictly spells. Just think of them purely as spells, with an unusual launch pattern. They cost spell points, they take spell power, and you don't need anything equipped to use them.
    Server: Thelanis - Characters Main: Rusttttt, Sepiaaaaa, Amethysttttt - Other Alts: Flameeeee, Siennaaaaa, Rougeeeee, Roseeeee, Wineeeee, Marigolddddd, Zaffreeeee, Wisteriaaaaa, Scarlettttt, Rufousssss, Lilaccccc, Puceeeee, Azureeeee, Orchiddddd, Sinopiaaaaa, Amaranthhhhh, Violettttt, Umberrrrr, Tawnyyyyy, And More! Literally too many for the Signature!

We hadn't designed a spell for that in Alchemist, but you can pick up Magic Missile immunity from Core 2 of Apothecary!
    Tested that while on lam. Most effects of that nature also protect against force/chain missile too (like nightshield or shield). This one does not protect against those. Is this intentionally less useful than other protection from magic missile effects, or an accidental oversight?
    Khyber:
    Zenavathar 1rog/5monk/2pal life 12 of TBD; Zenarcanum 18 arti 2nd life; Zenmachina 7 wiz/ 1 rogue 2nd life; Zenchakra 7 monk 2nd life; Zenthinks 20 monk/6epic 2nd life.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathbrings View Post
    Tested that while on lam. Most effects of that nature also protect against force/chain missile too (like nightshield or shield). This one does not protect against those. Is this intentionally less useful than other protection from magic missile effects, or an accidental oversight?
    Neither; the skill was working in an unreliable manner in the last Lamannia preview, causing it to work at times it shouldn't have, and not at all at other times. When it does work, it works on Force/Chain missile, just like every other version of this.

This should be fixed in the next Lamannia, and work under the conditions described in the enhancement.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

To be very clear, the change to IPS does not specifically have to do with Inquisitive overperforming. It is the result of evaluating the way that Ranged Weapon Users interact with the overall build meta and (especially) melees.

I had an interesting issue that came to me, today.

Alchemist's spells are 100% either transmutation or conjuration. If an alchemist wants to use the draconic destiny for SLA's they're stuck with the acid abilities because they use conjuration and everything else is evocation. This seems very limiting. Every other spellcaster in the game can focus on evocation except Alchemist, and those that can't spec for conjuration, should they choose to, don't really have access to much in the way of conjuration spells, anyway (like bard or artificer).
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Community Member

Default Roll for sarcasm detection

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Arties aren't meta and haven't been meta for years if they ever were.

Wizard and Sorcerer are doing just fine even though they are free classes.

How are you playing a Wizard or Sorcerer currently and having enough trouble on them that you think they need a buff?
    I can't believe the sarcasm wasn't obvious enough. Read what I was replying to. Maybe it will become more apparent.

Community Member

I used the guide to level to 20 on an alchemist, then grabbed a True Heart of Wood laying around in Test Dojo and did a TR.

will we get alchemist ED with new expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by axan22 View Post
    will we get alchemist ED with new expansion?
    I recall Steelstar saying they weren't planning any new destinies in the foreseeable future.

I don’t know if this has been answered, but will the caster level increases from Draconic Incarnation apply to alchemist?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthala View Post
    I don’t know if this has been answered, but will the caster level increases from Draconic Incarnation apply to alchemist?
    Yes! All Destinies that give caster levels to other Arcane classes also give them to Alchemist.

Suhweet!

Community Member

Default evasion for all, or no evasion for alchemists

so they get evasion cause why? if you are giving alchemists a way to get evasion without splashing any other class than all classes need a way to get evasion without splashing. and don't tell me shadow dancer, I shouldn't be forced to play a epic destiny just for evasion. here we go for a compromise remove alchemist evasion and make shadow dancer evasion something that can be easily twisted not a core ability now anyone who wants it can have evasion, or put it in a universal tree.

Community Member Paladin_of_Power's Avatar

Not really a bug, and this seems like a good place to talk about how bottle-throwing spells work.

When you have an enemy hard-targeted with a bottle-throwing spell (like Spellvial: Fire), there are two important things to note:
    • The bottles are affected by gravity.
    • Spell projectiles cast at a fixed(ish) speed, defined by the spell.

The game then figures, since you have a target hard-targeted, that you're trying to hit that target. Since it knows your bottle is affected by gravity, it looks at the projectile speed for your bottle (defined by the spell), and figures out how high of an arc it has to huck it at to hit your target before it hits the ground.

The further away from your target you are, the taller that arc has to be to hit your target before hitting the ground. That's why you're seeing arcs like that. This works most of the time, assuming your projectile isn't interrupted along the way by an object/wall/etc.

As it goes, the Accelerate Spell metamagic helps ease this out a lot - It adds to the Projectile Speed after it gets taken from the spell. Since the projectile is traveling faster, it doesn't have to get thrown as high to hit your target.
    Thanks for the reply steelstar I see how throwing arcs work but your reply does not explain how in the scenario I described the bottle is thrown straight up in the air right above my head. It is not thrown forward and up it is only thrown up straight up

Quote Originally Posted by tafla421 View Post
    so they get evasion cause why? if you are giving alchemists a way to get evasion without splashing any other class than all classes need a way to get evasion without splashing. and don't tell me shadow dancer, I shouldn't be forced to play a epic destiny just for evasion. here we go for a compromise remove alchemist evasion and make shadow dancer evasion something that can be easily twisted not a core ability now anyone who wants it can have evasion, or put it in a universal tree.
    What?

Alchemists get evasion but it's buried deep into the class and requires a feat slot. If you're complaining about this, then you should be complaining why rangers get evasion at level 9, and why Swashbuckler bards don't need to splash or burn a feat at all and get it in their capstone. I'm not understand your logic in this argument.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast