Default Goodbye, Neil. You'll be missed.

Today it was announced that Neil Peart of Rush died on January 7th after a 3+ year battle with brain cancer. He was 67.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...uPN-6z9yYcmU00
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Today it was announced that Neil Peart of Rush died on January 7th after a 3+ year battle with brain cancer. He was 67.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...uPN-6z9yYcmU00

Sad face : (

There is little doubt that Neil Peart of Rush was one of the greatest rock drummers to ever perform.

One of the most amazing facts about him was that he totally re-learned how to play the drums in the mid-1990s after having been in Rush since 1974. It is so hard for me to grasp that one of the best drummers ever wasn't happy with how he had been drumming for DECADES and decided to start over.

Starting around 1994, Neil began to emulate jazz and big band drummers, Gene Krupa and the great Buddy Rich. He decided to take it further and became a pupil of Freddie Gruber. During that time, he revamped his entire style and incorporated jazz and swing elements into his drumming. Believe it or not, he became an even better drummer!

The video below shows some of his best work.

"A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Sadly, in the news here he barely got a mention among the weather warnings.

Rush was part of my collection growing up, tho not one of the groups I delved deeply into. Sorta one of those groups that've always just been there in the background. Not in a dismissive sort of way, just a comfortable presence.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

It was said among some music types that Neil Peart was your favorite drummer's favorite drummer.

Anyone that knows me knows that the band that did it the most for me was Mountain, and must admit I wasnt really a Rush fan.

That being said, Mr Peart was an icon and legend without a doubt, and a true inspiration for every drummer and lyricist the world over.

He will be missed, on a grand scale, for millions of up and coming and established and even famous drummers for many years to come.

They say he died of brain cancer, but he also died of a broken heart. Those close to him said he never got over the loss of his wife and child. In 1997 Peart's first daughter (and, at the time, his only child) was killed in a car accident and in 1998 his wife of 23 years, Jacqueline Taylor, succumbed to cancer only 10 months later. Devastating.

Even if you were not a diehard fan, or even listened to a Rush song before, it doesn't take long to see the wizardry in this man's amazing talent. He was one of a kind.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!