Default Advice on survivability

What's up beautiful people,

I'd like to know a little more about survivabilty and get some advice for my next life. At the moment I'm playing as my second life, my first one was a board&sword vanguard figther and now a twf fighter/ranger. Had a lot of fun with the first one, having a blast with this one too. I'd like my next life to be a melee Wis FVS with war soul(and prob. falconry).

Problem I'm having is that my toons can barely hold a candle in reaper mode or harder content, dmg is fine but I just dissapear to the next dimension as soon as I'm being focused. Atm I'm getting around using some potions and some gear switching but it doesn't seem to be enough. Would appreciate if someone could tell me about the options or ways I have to make my FVS more durable, I don't need to be a tank I just wanna know all the resources I can use to survive longer.

Thanks people.

Community Member

Splash 3 level of bard and go single weapon fighting with a buckler. Use combat expertise and shield mastery/improved shield mastery. Twist shield prowess and legendary shield mastery from unyielding sentinel. Displacement from Elf dragonmark can be very useful if you don't have clickies

In reaper with the reduced healing the better approach is damage avoidance

Gear that improves miss chance helps - Dodge, Incorporeal bonus, concealment bonus

Next timing your attacks to minimize being the focus

With FvS you are going to gain some new tools that can help you by preventing the enemy from attacking you.

Spells like Cause Fear, Command(s), holds, sound burst, comet fall and even some charm based spells to convince them to turn on each other

At later levels you will gain "wings" to allow you to "get out of reach" and even with the penalty to healing you will have access to some powerful healing spells that with a mix of spell power and healing amplification can also help keep you above the zero line.

just want to second the dodge/incorp point, consider this item for instance https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cloak_of_Night_(level_28)

that cuts down incoming damage to .9 * .82 = .738 and (as far as i know) enemies can't bypass either one. granted your armor may clip the dodge a little but it's still extremely strong.

2014 DDO Players Council

Incorporeal, displacement, armor/shield, et cetera are one way. An entirely different approach: you don't take damage from mobs that are CCed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFast View Post
    Splash 3 level of bard and go single weapon fighting with a buckler. Use combat expertise and shield mastery/improved shield mastery. Twist shield prowess and legendary shield mastery from unyielding sentinel. Displacement from Elf dragonmark can be very useful if you don't have clickies
    That looks tempting but unfortunately I wanna try pure FVS, maybe in the future I'll try the bard splash as it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    In reaper with the reduced healing the better approach is damage avoidance

Gear that improves miss chance helps - Dodge, Incorporeal bonus, concealment bonus

Next timing your attacks to minimize being the focus

With FvS you are going to gain some new tools that can help you by preventing the enemy from attacking you.

Spells like Cause Fear, Command(s), holds, sound burst, comet fall and even some charm based spells to convince them to turn on each other

At later levels you will gain "wings" to allow you to "get out of reach" and even with the penalty to healing you will have access to some powerful healing spells that with a mix of spell power and healing amplification can also help keep you above the zero line.
    Thanks! I'll try to search to gain as many dmg avoidance tools as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    just want to second the dodge/incorp point, consider this item for instance https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cloak_of_Night_(level_28)

that cuts down incoming damage to .9 * .82 = .738 and (as far as i know) enemies can't bypass either one. granted your armor may clip the dodge a little but it's still extremely strong.
    That item looks amazing. Limited to haloween event tho T.T.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Incorporeal, displacement, armor/shield, et cetera are one way. An entirely different approach: you don't take damage from mobs that are CCed.
    Fair enough, I'm new to FVS and going melee so I don't know much about my options and/or playstile with the class. I'm guessing I'll have more approaches, as you said, than my previous fighters.

Community Member

Divine intervention in the warsoul tree is also some amazing survivability improvement, and you can give it to someone else too if you need to, like in a raid.

Community Member

Death Pact is another spell to help keep you in the fight.