Default Finding Dorris: Where are the Cogs clues?

Today I ran Finding Dorris for the first time. Heroic Elite, character with mediocre search skills (Completionist warlock). After running around for over an hour, and failing to find at least two secret doors I knew of ("You detect a draft"), I gave up. Still had "1 Clue in the Cogs" -- not optional.

Where exactly are they?

Also, can this quest be done without a trapper?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

How far in did you get? Did you already find the fighting pit? One of the clues is after that, fairly close to the end.

The wiki appears to list everything you need to do, but I haven't actually tried following the instructions.

I haven't ever had any trouble with the quest personally, and at least on epic I've done it without a trapper.

Yes I found the Fighting Pit. It was also one of the places where I knew there was a secret door, but was unable to find it. The wiki page lists the three Docks clues, but not the Cogs clues.

I don't think I ever found the Trainer's House. Is that the third clue?

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Yes I found the Fighting Pit. It was also one of the places where I knew there was a secret door, but was unable to find it. The wiki page lists the three Docks clues, but not the Cogs clues.

I don't think I ever found the Trainer's House. Is that the third clue?
    The secret door in the Fighting Pit gets opened for you after the fight is over... did something odd happen to the gnoll announcer?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    The secret door in the Fighting Pit gets opened for you after the fight is over... did something odd happen to the gnoll announcer?
    He occasional still doesn't run back to open it; it's less frequent he bugs out but it does still happen a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    If something odd happened to the gnoll, I had no way to recognize it. That was the only time I ran that quest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRw-6Kv-OK4 from PB

FYI you can skip all the docks stuff up above; there are just really four clues there you need.

Since you got the clues in the docks, you know that part, all good. No need to find secret doors in this quest.

The Cogs clues that confuse people are 1) with the fighting pit and 2) a message on the other side of the map opposite the fighter's home. Once the announcer takes too much damage in the Pit fight (you need to brawl here and start a red alert fight), he scurries to safety through a secret door ( a big one, like a garage door). That door is opened by him and you do not need to find it. One of the clues is confronting him and doing the dialogue.

The other clue is not too far from the fighter's house. After speaking to the announcer, you go up an elevator shaft near him. There are two directions (I can't remember which is what direction). One takes you to the fighter house and the other takes you to some ramps with mobs at the top. Go to the ramps (kill mobs or relocate them if you are sneaky) and read a message on the ground by those mobs (the undelivered letter). (There is a collectable there too). THEN, you can go to the fighter house and finish the quest. (if you go to the fighter house before finding all the major clues, you will see a 'not home' sign).

I have been grinding this quest in epics ad nauseam because the boots are very good for melees that need ghostly and high doublestrike on one item.
    Last edited by Saekee; 01-10-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (4), Naerfelka (21)

Community Member

This is from just a few minutes ago. Here you can see he bugged out and didn't run over to open the door (none of his dialog options cause him to run over either).

Thank you, the video was really helpful!