Default Simple warforged question... apparently no one has the answer...

Not new to the game but new to warforged. Actively avoided playing one because of the repair vs healing (hated healing WF as a cleric) and restricted gear thing. Now, after all these years, I got around to playing an artificer in the quest for completionist and decided to go WF and play it as intended. WF has a vast pro list and people in forums and articles will go on and on about how awesome they are because of it. However, when it comes to the con list everyone is of the same opinion... "NONE". I do not hold to this opinion. Everything has a balance and if WF did not have other issues then everyone would just play that race.

The question i have is what is the WF weak against. The only thing i can find is "vulnerable to those that affect wood or metal". Ok... so what effects wood and metal and how much of an effect are we talking? Disintegrate is an obvious problem and maybe rust damage (monsters are the only source I can think of at the moment). What about fire? Acid? Does sonic damage splinter wood? Does cold damage slow the WF more than a fleshy? Are any of these and other damage types x2, x3, or more? Is there something else I am not even thinking about in this post?

Basically... what makes the WF suck to play and what should I build defenses against?

- 50% base healing from positive spells (biggest issue, but if your playing artificer, wizard, or sorcer you get repair spells so it works great).

Take rust damage but no poison damage. Both are very rare forms of damage so no big impact.

Rust monsters can stun you. Annoying when it happens but its not frequent and rust monsters are not very commin.

Taller race: only relevant if you plan on using a bow or crossbow a lot.

Other then that warforged are strong races, with several immunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxpaine View Post
    Basically... what makes the WF suck to play and what should I build defenses against?
    the size in coal chamber

Pilgrim1 is not completely correct about the poison, sure you can /dance in poison jet traps, but souls of cruelty etc don't care. AFAIK Only PM's in shroud are immune to all poison damage subtypes.

I suspect that WF take extra damage from horrid wilting... but I can't back it up.

Spells like deconstruct from Cannith Manufactury mobs can be pretty brutal at level.

Defenses? Boost your saves and HP, and leverage your racial tree (best defense is a good offense) Play to the races strengths.

Community Member

I dont have the Warforged race so Im reading off information.

=======================================The drawbacks I know of.
    #1 Warforged are a premium race. Cha-Ching$

#2 Ability scores penalties, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Just drawbacks for any Spellcasters but not crippling ones.

#3 Takes a 50% penalty to Healing spells. This can be reduced to 20% with Warforged Racial Enhancements.

#4 Arcane Spell Failure, starts at 5%, and it can go higher with Mithril (+15%)or Adamantite Body (+35%) feats, but it can be mitigated with enhancements, and Divine Magic ignores this.

#5 Vulnerability to Rust damage. Probably the greatest problem.
    =======================================The Benefits
    #1 Immunity to most detrimental effects. Sleep, Hold Person, Energy Drained, Nauseated, Exhausted, Paralyzed, ability score damage from Natural Poisons and Natural Diseases, spells targeting a humanoid, drowning

#2 They can be healed by "Repair" spells, so Artificiers and WIzards can Heal you. This is actually a major improvement in both Solo and Groups. As a Wizard or Artificier you could heal yourself to play Solo.

#3 They have natural Fortification from 25% up to 100% with enhancements, which protects them against Sneak attack and Critical hits.

Warforged make great Warriors because of all their defensive benefits. They are still very good for any class because their drawbacks can be reduced to almost 0.
    Basically they are an awesome Min_maxed race. If they could put their racial enhancement Ability Scores in some place other than Constitution then they would be close to perfect.

Community Member

#4 Arcane Spell Failure, starts at 5%, and it can go higher with Mithril (+15%)or Adamantite Body (+35%) feats, but it can be mitigated with enhancements, and Divine Magic ignores this.

From what I understand its a non issue the spells for artificers are not arcane as well as for clerics.
    though if you were making a war forged wiz it would be and would have to spend resources to combat it .

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post
    From what I understand its a non issue the spells for artificers are not arcane as well as for clerics.
    though if you were making a war forged wiz it would be and would have to spend resources to combat it .
    The only classes that really need to worry about Arcane Failure are the Wizard and Sorcerer. Everyone else sticks to their proficiencies which allows them to cast without a chance of failure..

Warforged Wizards could use heavier armor than the average Wizard while benefiting heavily from the all the defensive boosts. Not the best spellcaster, but viable.

Basically stat inflation has removed the things that made WF "suck to play." With gear, rPL's you can ignore any limitation.

Basically Healing Amp (so the party cleric doesn't hate you) is the only consideration you need to make. Where are you going to slot HA and AP's if you don't have Paladin/rPL's to give you "free" healing?
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Warforged Wizards could use heavier armor than the average Wizard while benefiting heavily from the all the defensive boosts. Not the best spellcaster, but viable.

It's not free though, you have to spend a feat and still worry about the asf. It does take a Warforged fewer feats to get to heavy than a wizard of a different race, but they both have the options in EK to ignore ASF. In the EK case the non-warforged gets his armor profs for free while the warforged still has to buy his body plating, not to mention that the non-warforged gets to ignore medium armor asf while the warforged only gets to ignore light armor asf.

My negatives:

1. Body types, must spend a feat to not be in the equivalent of robes. Warforged Druids aren't even allowed to do that, even though any other race druid can just slap metal armor on and take the t5 protector enhancement. Some class enhancements don't entirely react properly to body plating types (at least they didn't, I think a lot of this has been fixed).

2. Reduced healing, even with Healers Friend you are behind normal healing (PM shrouds and ironically animal forms bypass this).

3. Height/Size. Harder to see around in tight spaces, bounces head off many low ceilings.

4 Limited Set bonus options. The newer sets tend to include the chest piece as one of the set pieces, you can't get a set bonus in a set that doesn't include a docent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxknight View Post
    It's not free though, you have to spend a feat and still worry about the asf. It does take a Warforged fewer feats to get to heavy than a wizard of a different race, but they both have the options in EK to ignore ASF. In the EK case the non-warforged gets his armor profs for free while the warforged still has to buy his body plating, not to mention that the non-warforged gets to ignore medium armor asf while the warforged only gets to ignore light armor asf.

My negatives:

1. Body types, must spend a feat to not be in the equivalent of robes. Warforged Druids aren't even allowed to do that, even though any other race druid can just slap metal armor on and take the t5 protector enhancement. Some class enhancements don't entirely react properly to body plating types (at least they didn't, I think a lot of this has been fixed).

2. Reduced healing, even with Healers Friend you are behind normal healing (PM shrouds and ironically animal forms bypass this).

3. Height/Size. Harder to see around in tight spaces, bounces head off many low ceilings.

4 Limited Set bonus options. The newer sets tend to include the chest piece as one of the set pieces, you can't get a set bonus in a set that doesn't include a docent.

Agreed on all your points, especially around body feats and enhancement trees.

Counterpoints:

1. Docents allow for quick hot swapping of 'armour', which is not feasibly for fleshies outside of cloth. You could theoretically swap between Sharn DPS/Tank/Caster sets with only a couple of clicks.

2. Native dual healing without a feat requirement.

3. Tower over your enemies to more easily hear the lamentations of their women.

Community Member

Obviously Warforged are not flawless. In general the flaws can be mitigated and the advantages are strong.

The Warforged Racial Enhancements are quite good.

100% Fortification is something quite difficult for other to acquire, but a Warforged only has to pay 6-7 Action Points.
    The numerous Immunities save a lot on various situational equipment.
    The Constitution and Hit Point bonuses are quite useful as characters can focus on spellcasting and damage abilities.

Memories of the Last War 1 & 2 are nice boosts for anyone.

Warforged are just generally great for a Warrior class but also good for Spellcasters. Theyre just not quite the offensive powerhouse I would like.
    Last edited by Chaosticket1; 01-09-2020 at 09:18 AM.

I would feed my warforged to the rust monsters. Stupid robots.
    The problem with focusing on the most extreme of players is that that group will only get smaller and smaller... Oof
    You know you have a problem when a virtual fantasy game ruins your concept of real world money and its value.

Community Member

Everything has a balance and if WF did not have other issues then everyone would just play that race.
    They're not Iconic and they dont have a free feat, that's the reason most people dont play them

Otherwise yeah, the -20% healing is not a major factor, especially if you've earned a few RAPs so you dont have to take 4 out of your base 80. Immunities are super clutch, and Rust Monsters arent too big of a hassle as long as you know where they are.

Thank you everyone for your most informative answers. I did create a melee artificer WF and have run up a few levels since the original post. I keep a FVS hireling with me just for giggles. Seems to be working out with the massive tank and self healing. The metal puppy helps out a little.

FUN FACT: Blood-drinker in Tangleroot Gorge puts a rust tick on you instead of a poison tick. It hurts very much bad!