Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a simple truth

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    i asked for devs because no player has any first hand knowledge of the back end of the system. as such, demanding players address the issues other players guess at prompts bad faith objections - for example, an anti-merger has in one of these threads guessed the game could go down for literal months. is that an issue you feel needs to be addressed, or a facially absurd scenario? what if they had guessed the game would cause a global blackout? or generated a singularity that swallowed the earth?i have personally seen all of these addressed except monster manual, recently. i could suggest you do a little searching through the threads yourself, but in the interests of time:

names / guilds - everyone keeps their display name. additionally, everyone is assigned a system name such as [display name - server]. the system name is used whenever characters need to be distinguished by the system, for example mail, but is invisible in general play. for illustration see for example Discord or Twitter.

favor - all characters keep theirs, therefore an account unlock on any server will still be available on the one server, and the first-time rewards are scaled up by a factor of 8

monster manual - the highest levels / achievements for a given account are maintained (i'm not sure what the specific issue is with monster manuals, if it's not this and you can elaborate i'm sure we can come up with a solution though)

character slots - combined
    I don't think players' concerns about possible issues with a server merge are unreasonable or unfounded. There is a history here, this argument is not being conducted in a vacuum.

Issues - First let me state clearly that these are issues I've seen raised, not that any or all of them are my personal crusades. I have read many many merge threads and I have yet to see anything close to a comprehensive plan for just the issues raised by players. This is important because, as you note, there are technical issues that can only be addressed by SSG. Then there are logical issues that may or may not be solvable, but in any case, if they are not solved to the satisfaction of the the players, i.e. customers, customer satisfaction will take a(nother) hit.

To your responses -

names - [playername] of [oldservername] is a perfectly fine way to execute duplicate names. Whether that is possible would require a answer from SSG. If is possible why didn't they do that in the past?

guilds - some people (not me) have guild ships on multiple servers and they have raised the issue of the money/resources they have expended on those.

favor / monster manual -

character slots - some people have many characters on many servers. There is currently a maximum number of character slots available for purchase. Is there a hard cap on total number of slots? If there is, which characters get deleted or 'hidden'?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper View Post
    names - [playername] of [oldservername] is a perfectly fine way to execute duplicate names. Whether that is possible would require a answer from SSG. If is possible why didn't they do that in the past?

guilds - some people (not me) have guild ships on multiple servers and they have raised the issue of the money/resources they have expended on those.

favor / monster manual -

character slots - some people have many characters on many servers. There is currently a maximum number of character slots available for purchase. Is there a hard cap on total number of slots? If there is, which characters get deleted or 'hidden'?
    i assume it didn't occur to them. neither Discord nor Twitter existed at that point, i doubt it would have occurred to me

such purchases would be refunded after the leader selected which ship they wanted to keep

if there is a hard cap, remove it

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I find it funny that these posts are generally directed to developers which by and large are not the ones making the "management of resources" decisions.

As a long time developer I find that in most cases the developers work under the "Ours is not to question why, Ours is but to do or die." mantra

A lot of posts about server merge are simply "You must", but lack the evidence or financial benefits vs cost analysis. People should work to make the case and direct it towards the people that make that decision.
    The financial benefits of consolidation are lower operational maintenance and contractual support costs.

The costs are the technical resources paychecks to do the work, if you even have them.

Since players don't and won't know either of those things, it's not up to them to determine anything more than to play (and spend money) or to not play (not spend money) if they wish, on whether a merge happens.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    i assume it didn't occur to them. neither Discord nor Twitter existed at that point, i doubt it would have occurred to me

such purchases would be refunded after the leader selected which ship they wanted to keep

if there is a hard cap, remove it

2 - well there's an incentive for SSG to keep the servers independent. Why merge when it would cost money in refunds?

3 - is that possible? I think I read one of the devs has 100s of slots? I think the assumption has been that the current number of character slots is the maximum available to players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyed-Pyper View Post
    2 - well there's an incentive for SSG to keep the servers independent. Why merge when it would cost money in refunds?

3 - is that possible? I think I read one of the devs has 100s of slots? I think the assumption has been that the current number of character slots is the maximum available to players.
    because they would GAIN money in population retention. literally every change costs SSG, because literally everything has a cost. a good business runs cost-benefit analysis, not cost-and-then-give-up analysis

Default No, I don't need advice for grouping. I know how to do the pit... solo/not lost

I honestly think the game's been long dead. Nowadays, most (~90% I would say) of new players/people who are going to make the population grow don't even stay past 6 or 7, 10 or 11 for the persistent ones. For the most part, they just solo and get bored of the lack of MMOness in-game and quit (if they play in their own personal friend groups, then all of them leave). It's not as if anybody is even bothering to help them; general chats are empty except for those two random guys every now and then.

The populated servers (Orien/Cannith, in my experience) are a bit better. People put up quests on normal and hard; they're more normal/casual. That being said, even then it's not really like you're playing a multiplayer game because the majority of nubs don't talk in these groups. It's just run around "linear quest A or B", shoot some stuff, scratch your head because no one knows how to do the quest - etc.. I can't imagine two new players having much fun together with something like Tower of Frost. In this game today, you either carry or get carried as a nub. Sad.

As for the extra-dead servers like Thelanis, I've gone into Korthos "peak times" (or semi-peak times) to find the entire public area (sunny) empty. I run around the world (because I'm bored) - nobody new with the "adventure" tag. I believe that I've only seen one level 30 to date who was an adventurer. Just blue lights shining everywhere, zerg zerg zerg.

There's not much incentive to stay in this game anymore unless you knew its "glory days". No raids, reapered everything, stony silence - nothing. I don't believe the game can ever come back, not when the only thing left is this niche population with whom everything is centered around (entirely).
    The problem with focusing on the most extreme of players is that that group will only get smaller and smaller... Oof
    You know you have a problem when a virtual fantasy game ruins your concept of real world money and its value.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12