Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nevergiveup356 View Post
    This is not an excuse in this game, caster and ranged builds have higher defenses than melees, at will lvl 9 spells and with power creep can have enough dcs for r10s even if first life.

Caster and ranged build can solo r10s since day 1, they take ages to be nerfed if it happens.

Just post a melee solo r10 after 400 tries, just to see your build nuked next week.
    That is purely just not true, you have no dc caster that has enough dcs that are reliable in r10s as a first life, in higher end r10s (newer content) even maxed out characters have issues to land spells reliably, i have no idea where you get that information from but it is not correct or true and please do not spread misinformation.
    I play a dc sorc in heroic since i have 2 races left til 3x all, and even if i pot up use maxed out gear, have 2 less charisma which i offset with cookies that not all players have access to and a bard i still cannot land my spells in heroic r10s, rather its in some content impossible to me.
    My guildie who is one of the best players in ddo and possibly one of best dc casters has problems with specific content, and he has maxed out gear past lifes reaper points, some other players who are well known for being best of the best report the same.

So, doing that on a first life character is impossible, unless you hand select few quests where mobs have average lower saves.

Yet again, this is such a blatant piece of misinformation that it hurts.
    A caster needs all past lifes, all, every single one of them, every single piece of dc gear available to them, and a skilled player to perform what most normals call crushing the content.
    When i destroy content,people think its the class, they dont look behind all the past lifes, all the selfbuffs pots i use, behind all the gear i spend months to have in perfect order at every level spike imaginable, they just see the class and think the the sorc icon carrying me.

DO the same with inquisitive, you need nothing to be efficient in r10s, although the difference can be felt between a min and maxed inquisitve, but they are not hit or miss like dc casters are.

Sorry but i really dislike when people throw around terms or claims that are false.

While i do hate inquisitive, i do get why and how and when they perform at their best, you cannot compare or use them in comparison to a playstyle that requires heavy investment, time money and skill.
    Last edited by Kebtid; 01-06-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    There is no shortage of content in this game for the weakest 5% of players.

For most content, they have three difficulties designed solely for them, Casual, Normal and Hard.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharktopus View Post
    This. This is the single greatest problem. I can pick any class/race and invest in harper/inq and cookie cutter my way through TRs. Reaper points can be spent and distributed the same way every time. Same feats and gear life after life. Sure I might have some different spells or granted feats from life to life but +CON +INT KTA, Insightful Damage, rest to Inquis and done. I don't even have to think anymore.
    The same was done with 6 monk 6 rogue 8 whatever class you wanted to TR builds in the past. Then 10 warlock 10 whatever class you wanted to TR builds. You could have also ran 9 Arti 11 whatever class you wanted repeater templates. Just because the Inq build exists, it doesn't mean you have to use it for every life. Don't blame the game because you don't want to think anymore.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dnarth View Post
    Wasn't it a year ago or so that melee was over performing with dire charge. With the usual suspects chiming in with we need a serious discussion about balance. lol

I must ponder what this year will bring when alchemist is released....
    Thank the gods that they nerfed monks (multiple times) and wolves, amIright?

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

That was mostly what I was trying to get at. Casters aren't OP. They're supposed to rule the roost at end game. That's the trade off for suffering through leveling a backloaded class. Whether or not casters are gimp compared to melee in early heroics is a different discussion, but generally, Dungeons and Dragons has always rewarded casters late in their lives for having to juggle no hitpoints, being able to cast three spells, and being a glass cannon that shoots blanks for the first 10 levels.
    I'll talk Wizards for a minute here because that's what I'm running now.

Heard of Deep Gnome? Bam, superstar all the way. Easy start with double PK SLA's, supported by Color Spray & Circle+Wail while having near-immortality via PM.

Without DG, I can agree 1-6 being rough for a PM build (at 7 you get Death Aura + Firewall), but with Daily Dice you can skip to 3 or so and now you're talking 4 levels out of a 27-level range (and you can crank those few levels out pretty easily). Not exactly a long weak buildup lol.

Unless you have Gnome, at which point you Daily Dice until you have like 3 AP, and Color Spray until you win the game. Ez win, melees can't threaten you, ranged enemies suck (and you can get Deflect Arrows later), and casters threaten you less than they do your melee counterparts (Wizard has solid Will, Insightful Reflexes covers blasting, and PM immunities cover Fort).

I'm a melee main, but my easiest melee life was using DG for Color Spray and Harper-supported Silvanus melee.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

the get good, opening post
    Cute, as many of the legit melee players posted back then, post your melee builds, including all the exploits used, if any.

Heck, if someone has a 2hf melee r10 barb build that can funtion solo, let me know, solo because most parties won't even let a melee join them past r5 (not counting intimitanks as real melees for this example)

Anyways, i don't know where you have been the last 5 years but it's clear you haven't been spending your time playing a non exploit melee. Ever since Motu, melee has been an hazardous occupation, witb the only bright spot being the introduction of prr and mrr.
    No melee worth their salt would be standing around holding the attack button, from motu to epic orchard, melee wasn't in the best of places. A 2 years we were never getting back, it's the main reason i said my goodbyes after getting 75 rp on my main and 50 and 45 on my alts, i sure as heffle wasn't going to wait another 2 years for melee to become viable at cap/endgame again.
    (Again, not counting exploit builds)

Ofcourse the devs never learn from their mistakes and when they graciously bestowed reaper mode on us they didn't bother to up the A.I., they just added a lazy blanket of coding on top of the mess we already had.
    When mages are supposed to be this strong, fine, also let them have the weaknesses of their playstyle, also have the enemy target every gandalf looking magic user first, focussing all dps on them first, it's quit clear that a melee poses no danger to the 3 ogres.
    Let them zerg ahead to those classes first. Then agsin, smat devs would have made enemy archer do a lot more damage, (say 10-50 times) equal to their player counterparts and have them go after any magic or (x-) bow using player first

Melee just like any other playstyle should have its trade offs. They can't blow up a mountain or teleport across space and time however they were supposed to have the defences and hp to be able to do their job, wich is dishing out damage in melee, while absorbing damage long enough for incomming heals, sadly people rarely play healers, why bother if half the party doesn't need them? It doesn't help that every other play style can get roughly the same hp as a (non tank) melee? Nor that the itemisation for melee has been garbage for while now.

A good question you should ask melees is; are you having fun haking away at a mobs for 10 minutes knowing when wakes up it could 2-3 shoot you? Is the game exciting, having to sit on your hands? Is it as exhilarating as playing counterstrike the steam punk edition like all the ranged playstyles?

One of the biggest let downs by the devs was the enemy hp inflation and the harsher impact reaper mode imposes on melee dps compared to instakill dc's, a well specked instakiller has less issues taking out a trash mob then a melee had dps-ing the same mob to death, overall helped by superior itemisation.
    Back in the day, a good crit could spell victory, now it's just another bump in an endless list of boring scrolling numbers.
    And with that i think i hit the core of the issue, wether due to personal preference to to those other playstyles or biased against melee (taking a late revenge on jocks? What is this? The Revenge of the nerds movie?) , For what ever reason, the devs screwed over the melee playstyle in such away that it becomes boring, no longer fun to play, no longer that risk vs reward.
    As a melee, i'm held by my hand, having to wait for the "go ahead sign" on held mobs because my 7+k hp make me a glass cannon??? If a mob breaks free, i'm the one that needs to run like a headless chicken, just incase it farts in my general direction.

No thanks, i'll pass on that, equall oppertunity for an equall amount of fun in the form of risk vs reward.
    That or go home devs.
    Sometimes i'm sad the community never protested against the reaper mode and supported the melee playerbase, just like we supported you when we were on the bridge, i guess the times are changing
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kebtid View Post
    That is purely just not true, you have no dc caster that has enough dcs that are reliable in r10s as a first life, in higher end r10s (newer content) even maxed out characters have issues to land spells reliably, i have no idea where you get that information from but it is not correct or true and please do not spread misinformation.
    I play a dc sorc in heroic since i have 2 races left til 3x all, and even if i pot up use maxed out gear, have 2 less charisma which i offset with cookies that not all players have access to and a bard i still cannot land my spells in heroic r10s, rather its in some content impossible to me.
    My guildie who is one of the best players in ddo and possibly one of best dc casters has problems with specific content, and he has maxed out gear past lifes reaper points, some other players who are well known for being best of the best report the same.

So, doing that on a first life character is impossible, unless you hand select few quests where mobs have average lower saves.

Yet again, this is such a blatant piece of misinformation that it hurts.
    A caster needs all past lifes, all, every single one of them, every single piece of dc gear available to them, and a skilled player to perform what most normals call crushing the content.
    When i destroy content,people think its the class, they dont look behind all the past lifes, all the selfbuffs pots i use, behind all the gear i spend months to have in perfect order at every level spike imaginable, they just see the class and think the the sorc icon carrying me.

DO the same with inquisitive, you need nothing to be efficient in r10s, although the difference can be felt between a min and maxed inquisitve, but they are not hit or miss like dc casters are.

Sorry but i really dislike when people throw around terms or claims that are false.

While i do hate inquisitive, i do get why and how and when they perform at their best, you cannot compare or use them in comparison to a playstyle that requires heavy investment, time money and skill.
    BS.

You may require wiz and fvs for spell pen and nothing more.

A fully geared/pls wizards can outkill any inquisitive build easily.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    Sometimes i'm sad the community never protested against the reaper mode and supported the melee playerbase, just like we supported you when we were on the bridge, i guess the times are changing
    I´ve been fighting the melee beatdown since 2015.

Most of other melee players got tired and quit already.

Default melee need more creative and interesting play to deal with moving mobs

Really sad to see DDO as nothing more than an argument about who gets to complete content the fastest or easiest.

Imagine what would have happened if the game was focused around making each build fun to play instead of this epeen contest DDO has become.

100+ players lobbied for interactive stealth play, but play experience and play options for all melee builds are not a priority here.

Anyone that can see past picking DPS winners and losers would see that melee need more creative and interesting play to deal with moving mobs.

Using dire charge to attack non moving mobs is lazy game design and does not promote skilled play.

Making it the meta for melee where everyone deals with mobs in the same way is really really bad design.

It leaves a game of winners and losers, even among the melee classes.

By all means, continue bickering about winners and losers instead of asking for better design.
    - inactive player -

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    most parties won't even let a melee join them past r5 (not counting intimitanks as real melees for this example)
    Never seen this.

Anyways, i don't know where you have been the last 5 years but it's clear you haven't been spending your time playing a non exploit melee. Ever since Motu, melee has been an hazardous occupation, witb the only bright spot being the introduction of prr and mrr.
    No melee worth their salt would be standing around holding the attack button, from motu to epic orchard, melee wasn't in the best of places. A 2 years we were never getting back, it's the main reason i said my goodbyes after getting 75 rp on my main and 50 and 45 on my alts, i sure as heffle wasn't going to wait another 2 years for melee to become viable at cap/endgame again.
    (Again, not counting exploit builds)
    Melee have been completely viable for the past 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    List the metrics that make a class viable.
    - inactive player -

Community Member

My thought on the matter is always that the issue isnt one of balance between ranged/caster and melee...both do what they're supposed to do equally well

The issue is that the game doesnt reward you for doing melee like it rewards you for doing ranged/caster. That's an issue of quest design, not balance. There needs to be more quests, more monster design that favor a melee playstyle - up close, trading blows - and discourage/disallow ranged kiting as a universal form of defense. Ambush encounters are a good first step, maps with closed quarters, mobs with powerful ranged attacks but weaker melee, things like that.

It'd also help if enemies would actually stay still more often so you COULD stand and battle with them in melee. When you're forced to constantly be moving and swinging to match the enemy AI scripting, it really does encourage you to just go ranged - which, ironically, CAN just sit and shoot to a larger extent.

Melee is under-powered. The current meta is ranged and casters. That seems to be the popular opinion, at least among melee players. Melee is weak and that is not fair, or it is not balanced.

I have to disagree, at least to an extent. It's easier to roll a warlock or crossbowman and left click your way through the game. That is true. Especially on harder difficulties. I'll give you that much. Do you really want an EZ button melee that holds attack and facerolls the game? So that there is "class balance" which is last stop before "Game too easy. Boring. Game is dying. Not fun."

My guild leader plays melee almost exclusively and while he might not have the DPS output that my inquisy or our warlock does, he doesn't seem to be struggling to stay alive and play the game. Because he's good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    if a player has to be above average in skill for a build to work, surely this is evidence FOR the claim that the build is underpowered
    Being an exclusively melee guild leader, when I see players failing at melee it's because they are thinking it's all about putting on that defense and standing, keyword standing, toe to toe with a mobs without moving, without using the environment, and not using LoS. No one is going to stand Toe to Toe R5+ with champions and reapers packed deep. Of course, I understand that ranged, casters, and DC builds have the distance to play with. Mobs start doing to much damage by R7+ it doesn't really matter how much defense you have. One-two hits and your just dead, and a new set of tactics have to start being used by those who attempt to solo and by groups.

A good melee knows when to mow down, but DDO melee requires a lot of activity to stay alive in higher difficulties, always working on positioning, and everything I said above. I'm fine with that. It keeps me awake.

I think things are as balanced as they're ever going to be, and with exceptions to Sorcerers and Inquisitors as high end outliers and with Paladin being a lower end outlier (because the right person can solo R10 with it), I think the game is more balanced at this moment than it has ever been. If the Devs didn't shuffle the meta a little bit here and there so that certain classes weren't FotMx3, things would probably be boring and the game would make less money. To have balance in this game, it would be killing the very things we love more about the game than the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    My thought on the matter is always that the issue isnt one of balance between ranged/caster and melee...both do what they're supposed to do equally well

The issue is that the game doesnt reward you for doing melee like it rewards you for doing ranged/caster. That's an issue of quest design, not balance. There needs to be more quests, more monster design that favor a melee playstyle - up close, trading blows - and discourage/disallow ranged kiting as a universal form of defense. Ambush encounters are a good first step, maps with closed quarters, mobs with powerful ranged attacks but weaker melee, things like that.

It'd also help if enemies would actually stay still more often so you COULD stand and battle with them in melee. When you're forced to constantly be moving and swinging to match the enemy AI scripting, it really does encourage you to just go ranged - which, ironically, CAN just sit and shoot to a larger extent.

I mentioned more interesting melee options for dealing with moving mobs. Think of something like D&D 3.5 dire charge, where you would face an opponent, run towards them and rapidly track them down. That requires a level of skill and interaction that a mass AoE stun (DDO version of dire charge) does not. Which of these two designs lets you chase down moving mobs? The D&D 3.5 version.

Ranged toons need more challenge, and a new quest design is one option, but in reality players will just farm the easier quests and ranged will not be challenged by such a choice. Ranged players need more competing play choices that make the decision to move or stand still more important. The ranged pass could have created such interesting choices, instead of throwing more raw power into the game.

Most of DDO's balance issues are fixed when the game becomes about making play choices more interesting. Design focused on creating play choices inherently attempts to create balance.
    - inactive player -

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post

Yeah, I can concede with that, though I like the moving around part of it, as long as mobs are move around in the same box. It's when they kit kited from across the map and back that it's a pain. Though how you wrote it makes me think of the road quests out in Estar, and I dislike that quest.

And the one thing I forgot to put in my above post is that the only thing that is aggrevating about being melee in a ranged party is when someone ranged, especially who can't handle mobs chasing and having to kit, has aggro and I'm having to chase them down. I shouldn't have to farm an item just to keep some hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Never seen this.

+

I have never seen this either. I have players on Khyber who whisper me to join them for R6-R10s, and I exclusively play melee. Usually they way I see parties work is casters kill trash and a melee kills the boss.

Melee have been more viable in the past 5 years than they've ever been. Ranged had the poo-end of the stick up until about 2 years ago. Casters have been everywhere on the board of viability until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian69 View Post

I think things are as balanced as they're ever going to be, and with exceptions to Sorcerers and Inquisitors as high end outliers and with Paladin being a lower end outlier (because the right person can solo R10 with it), I think the game is more balanced at this moment than it has ever been. If the Devs didn't shuffle the meta a little bit here and there so that certain classes weren't FotMx3, things would probably be boring and the game would make less money. To have balance in this game, it would be killing the very things we love more about the game than the balance.
    The game would play differently at every update if the new class produces new play options that change group dynamics.

What you describe is one class being played (new meta) because it now has more power.

Something greater than the goal of keeping you awake could be achieved through a different type of cooperative design - focused on play decisions rather than raw power.
    - inactive player -

Community Member

I'll always play a melee monk. I must like pain I guess. haha. In al seriousness, I run R6+ most of the time when I hit level 29. Most of the people I run with like shooting crossbows. I am ok with this. I have fun. I play the class I like. I see a Reaper, I jade it. I see a mob that can be stunned, I stun it (it works much better with some sort of CC...Thanks casters!!) There was an argument about Dire Charge above that said that its just lazy. Well, what about CC then? you cant play high reaper without it unless you shoot from 100 yards away. Also, Dire Charge only stuns living creatures, so 50% of DDO.

I just like playing with my friends. I don't care who has the most kills, or who has the meta build. Just enjoy the game and play like you wanna play.

Nico

Quote Originally Posted by Nickodeamous View Post
    There was an argument about Dire Charge above that said that its just lazy. Well, what about CC then? you cant play high reaper without it unless you shoot from 100 yards away.
    The argument I have been making for 3+ years is that good design gives people competing play options.

When you say you can't play high reaper without that Dire Charge, that's a design flaw in reaper. When you have one option, it's not a play choice.

If they had spent the last 3 years giving melee viable play choices, dire charge would be one of many options, each with their own advantage and disadvantage, and each best fitting different play preferences. Contrast this with what they have done, which is pick winners and losers without even paying attention to play preferences. Play choices to deal with moving mobs would be part of their design as they increase damage numbers to be progressively more deadly. Stealth used to be a tactical choice during melee (moving fluidly in and out of stealth), so they have actively removed tactical options for melee. Through poor choices they have made their challenge setting about one single way to play the game.

The fact that the player base largely doesn't even understand the core issues shows how far DDO has gone down the rabbit hole.

Try brainstorming tactical options that let you deal with moving mobs and that meet different preferences - and you are on your way to creating a better game. Make these options differ for many melee builds, and different enough that they affect how the rest of the group plays, and you have play diversity that does more than try to keep you awake at the keyboard. New classes can now be about new play options in a group, instead of changing the winners and losers within static play choices.

We need to stop arguing over winners and losers. We all win when more preferences are met.
    Last edited by nokowi; 01-06-2020 at 05:23 PM.
    - inactive player -

Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post
    Something greater than the goal of keeping you awake could be achieved through a different type of cooperative design - focused on play decisions rather than raw power.
    This, this, this. Raw power attributes success to the character. Tactical decision-making attributes success to the player. The former awards those who have spent years mindlessly grinding past-lives. The latter awards those who use critical thinking to make on-the-fly decisions.

I've played both types of games. One is a lot more fun and engaging...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post
    The argument I have been making for 3+ years is that good design gives people competing play options.

When you say you can't play high reaper without that Dire Charge, that's a design flaw in reaper. When you have one option, it's not a play choice.

If they had spent the last 3 years giving melee viable play choices, dire charge would be one of many options, each with their own advantage and disadvantage, and each best fitting different play preferences. Contrast this with what they have done, which is pick winners and losers without even paying attention to play preferences. Play choices to deal with moving mobs would be part of their design as they increase damage numbers to be progressively more deadly. Stealth used to be a tactical choice during melee (moving fluidly in and out of stealth), so they have actively removed tactical options for melee. Through poor choices they have made their challenge setting about one single way to play the game.

The fact that the player base largely doesn't even understand the core issues shows how far DDO has gone down the rabbit hole.

Try brainstorming tactical options that let you deal with moving mobs and that meet different preferences - and you are on your way to creating a better game. Make these options differ for many melee builds, and different enough that they affect how the rest of the group plays, and you have play diversity that does more than try to keep you awake at the keyboard. New classes can now be about new play options in a group, instead of changing the winners and losers within static play choices.

We need to stop arguing over winners and losers. We all win when more preferences are met.
    Oh man, I would love more options for sure! The other point I mentioned was CC. The only difference between CC and Dire Charge is the fact that stunned opponents have a 1.25X damage factor (used to be 1.5). So, give melees the ability to stop targets, or increase damage or something.

As a faithful monk, I live and die by stunned opponents and instakills. I have 3 cool down instakills that require Ki and mana. The Ki being QP and the other being Dismissive strike. The other being mass frog. If I have no option other than to jump into a mob and rattle off these 2 instakills and then WWA and maybe a frog, I am dead meat unless there is CC. Casters have CC, Melees have dire charge. The CC enables us melee folk to actually get close. Without it, R8 mobs hit very very hard and no amount of dodge or PRR is gonna help when you are hit for 2k I am actually lucky to survive these thanks to my grinded out Reaper Points (and man, that is a grind!!!)

As for tactical play, this game is so far away from that now, that you are right, there are no options and it becomes a race. It does get boring honestly. I mean, the TR train has killed Alts. Nobody wants to be left behind, and that furthers the gap. I would love to be able to strategically attack mobs and not rely on a few buttons, but that's not how our groups play. Its about speed, past lives, and RXP, and when you have life to deal without outside of DDO, these are the options you choose.

I totally agree on more options, I just don't think DDO is set up to do this (especially the tactical piece) given the current choo choo train we are on. all aboard!!

Nico

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast