Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Community Member Odium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    244

    Default Returning Player in Need of End Game Advice

    Hello All,

    I have recently returned to DDO after a really long time away (last played in 2012 i think). All my current characters are still just level 20 and it seems that power creep has passed me by witht he gear i have. My objective is to eventually be able to do high reaper quests. After looking at a ton of builds, i am struggling on figuring out how to get there. Do i need to be running the TR Train first? Do i need to get a character to cap and struggle to find gear as i go and then try to farm reaper xp 1st? Any advice on what a 1st life, level 20 character should do to help move toward high reapers would be greatly appreciated.
    Wow!

  2. #2
    Founder & Super Hero Arkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    8,276

    Default

    I did not get on the TR train very much.

    My main toon, Arkat, only has 7 or 8 past lives. The rest of my toons all have at least 2 past lives in order to become 36 point builds instead of 32 or 34 point builds.

    Instead, I got on the loot train. I've got a nice amount of raid gear and pretty much any non-raid items I could want.

    Where does that get me relative to endgame?

    My best toons can do most R4 or R5 content in good groups. If I wanted to be able to solo difficult R10 stuff, I would have to also get all the past lives - something I have neither the patience nor the time for.
    Last edited by Arkat; 01-03-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

  3. #3
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    4,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odium View Post
    ... i am struggling on figuring out how to get there. Do i need to be running the TR Train first? Do i need to get a character to cap and struggle to find gear as i go and then try to farm reaper xp 1st?
    All of the above and more.

    Serious high-reaper players/characters have several advantages, but perhaps the most important is that they are practiced at running Reaper. It's not the same as non-reaper - you have to use diff tactics, have to ID the diff Reapers and know their abilities and weaknesses, when to attack and when to ignore, what[s an immediate threat and what's not, etc etc. That will come w/ practice.

    Another huge advantage is Reaper XP, which adds up to HUGE hit point buffs (and other survival boosts). Via RXP, characters can easily have double the HP of non-RXP characters - huge advantage. YUGE.

    Meanwhile, reincarnations and gear all add up (but Gear pro'ly faster). Take a look at the Ravenloft (ML 10) and Sharn (ML 15) sets for mid/later Heroics.

    Any advice on what a 1st life, level 20 character should do to help move toward high reapers would be greatly appreciated.
    Reincarnate. It's MUCH faster to get to 20 now than it used to be, even without joining a "train" (altho' that's even faster - crazy fast!).

    o https://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation

    Take a look at Racial Reincarnation (a new alternative to Heroic TR, @ 20) - 3 of the same life (max) get you +1 Ability point and +1 Racial AP, the latter of which add up to become more than 80 AP to spend - which is huge for some builds.


    While Heroic Reincarnating, yes, detour to take a swing at farming the gear you need for next lap. It will start to add up without slowing you down too much by fixating on getting it "all" during one life.

    If you want to go to 30, there's some great stuff in those Past Lives too, but that's a diff gearing.



    However (and depending on your personality) - don't get overly locked in to the "train" just for the sake of the train. Make sure you're "playing the game" while you're reincarnating, or at least take a break and do that on occasion. Don't lose sight of the goal - to have fun (however you define that!).

    GL!
    o/

  4. #4
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Posts
    7,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odium View Post
    I have recently returned to DDO after a really long time away (last played in 2012 i think). All my current characters are still just level 20 and it seems that power creep has passed me by witht he gear i have. My objective is to eventually be able to do high reaper quests. After looking at a ton of builds, i am struggling on figuring out how to get there. Do i need to be running the TR Train first? Do i need to get a character to cap and struggle to find gear as i go and then try to farm reaper xp 1st? Any advice on what a 1st life, level 20 character should do to help move toward high reapers would be greatly appreciated.
    During leveling, lots of people do R1, and some do R2-R6, but I've seen very few people doing stuff at high skulls other than at level 30 (or 28-30). If you're level 20, there probably isn't much high reaper going on for you.

    Leveling can be relatively quick; personally I don't worry too much about gear you'll only wear for a couple levels. Sharn (and/or Ravenloft) gear at level 29 will far surpass almost all other gear. The biggest bang for the buck will be getting up to (or close to) 30 and farming a bunch of modern gear.

    How much Reaper Points versus Epic PLs versus class PLs versus Racial PLs matter, and which PLs, varies from build to build. But a fairly efficient way to work on those is to run 1->30, stay at 30 long enough to get "first time bonus" for Reaper on many quests as you reasonably can, optionally ER once and run back up 20->30 (going 20->30 twice total is easy enough with bravery bonuses and sagas and slayer areas), then you can ER/TR back down to 1 when you want to. This will net you 1 class or race PL, 1 or 2 Epic PLs, and a big chunk of Reaper XP. Doing all your heroic class/race PLs first, and all your Epic PLs later (or the other way around) would be much, much less efficient. And not taking advantage of Reaper first time bonus whenever you're at 30 anyway would also be less efficient for earning RXP.
    Last edited by SirValentine; 01-07-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    During leveling, lots of people do R1, and some do R2-R6, but I've seen very few people doing stuff at high skulls other than at level 30 (or 28-30). If you're level 20, there probably isn't much high reaper going on for you.

    Leveling can be relatively quick; personally I don't worry too much about gear you'll only wear for a couple levels. Sharn (and/or Ravenloft) gear at level 29 will far surpass almost all other gear. The biggest bang for the buck will be getting up to (or close to) 30 and farming a bunch of modern gear.

    How much Reaper Points versus Epic PLs versus class PLs versus Racial PLs matter, and which PLs, varies from build to build. But a fairly efficient way to work on those is to run 1->30, stay at 30 long enough to get "first time bonus" for Reaper on many quests as you reasonably can, optionally ER once and run back up 20->30 (going 20->30 twice total is easy enough with bravery bonuses and sagas and slayer areas), then you can ER/TR back down to 1 when you want to. This will net you 1 class or race PL, 1 or 2 Epic PLs, and a big chunk of Reaper XP. Doing all your heroic class/race PLs first, and all your Epic PLs later (or the other way around) would be much, much less efficient. And not taking advantage of Reaper first time bonus whenever you're at 30 anyway would also be less efficient for earning RXP.
    Very good advice thanks for posting this.

    On my first Epic run and i was planning on staying for a while to farm out gear but also maxing out Epic Destinies and gain a greater amount of Reaper points.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload