Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default complaint about gnomes

they're too big. gnomes should be like knee height on a triple tr.

i bought it but haven't played it yet. been too busy finishing up a second life of tiefling. these gnomes are just halflings with uglier faces. also, what are they considered? should be something like magical animal or something near it. chaotic outsiders perhaps.

Community Member

also, what are tieflings? evil outsiders, right?

Quote Originally Posted by blackestblack View Post

i bought it but haven't played it yet. been too busy finishing up a second life of tiefling. these gnomes are just halflings with uglier faces. also, what are they considered? should be something like magical animal or something near it. chaotic outsiders perhaps.
    While I agree they are in big side, DDO is based on 3.5 D&D where gnomes are player race. As they are in every edition...

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Even worse news: They shoot as if they were the same height as humans/half elves/orcs/etc.

Because whoever built them at Turbine based their geometry off of the full height races instead of basing them off of Halflings. That means you don't get the benefit of pew pew pew from a lower angle that Halflings get even though you're a short race.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

also, what are tieflings? evil outsiders, right?
    Not necessarily.

While many tieflings give in to the general expectations of their fiendish ancestry, such is not always the case.

In other words, there are no game mechanics in D&D that automatically make tieflings evil.

Half-fiends, are, as a rule, evil as various Monster Manuals and Bestiaries tell us. As with most rules, however, there are exceptions. But WAY fewer half-fiends are not evil than tieflings who are not evil.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Not necessarily.

While many tieflings give in to the general expectations of their fiendish ancestry, such is not always the case.

In other words, there are no game mechanics in D&D that automatically make tieflings evil.

Half-fiends, are, as a rule, evil as various Monster Manuals and Bestiaries tell us. As with most rules, however, there are exceptions. But WAY fewer half-fiends are not evil than tieflings who are not evil.
    okay so not necessarily evil but still of the evil outsider type like devils and orthons. they're outsiders of some sort and prone to banishment, effects, right? for the purpose of taking a favorite enemy to effect tieflings, what would you take?

there's no reason a magical beast cant be a player character so there's no reason to have gnomes the size of halflings.

okay so not necessarily evil but still of the evil outsider type like devils and orthons. they're outsiders of some sort and prone to banishment, effects, right? for the purpose of taking a favorite enemy to effect tieflings, what would you take?

there's no reason a magical beast cant be a player character so there's no reason to have gnomes the size of halflings.
    they are native outsiders there home plane is the material plane so no banishment
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Even worse news: They shoot as if they were the same height as humans/half elves/orcs/etc.

Because whoever built them at Turbine based their geometry off of the full height races instead of basing them off of Halflings. That means you don't get the benefit of pew pew pew from a lower angle that Halflings get even though you're a short race.
    lower angles are not always a benefit. what playing a gnome should teach you by the time you tr it. every strength has a weakness and every weakness has a strength. due to their lower angle they can shoot over terrain or over the edge of a cliff well. yeah they can hit dogs and hobgoblins at the same time in a flat hallway but how often do you find hobgoblins and orcs on nicely architectured floors?

gnomes should get a size reduction.

if you're going to bring up bows for some preconceived reason, why not bring up longswords? shouldn't a longsword be a great sword for a gnome or a halfling?

Community Member

i dont see any reason not to scale weapons or named weapons along with the player genotype.

also, why do people like to use "race" so much here? for example, elves and humans probably share no common ancestry so the differences would be species not race. being that "race" itself isn't a real word it's probably some sort of moraly bereft thing to use it where it wouldn't even apply in the first place.

The word "race" is just a british equivocation fallacy to turn family into a competition and justify nepotism while slippery sloping for aristocracy,. There is no "race." there's no starting gun and no finish line. There's just a bunch of ******bags who think you should have to listen to their subjective nonsense and a hoard of people who cant think for themselves.

so you see, there's no reason at all to keep magical beast gnomes the same size as halflings because "player blah blah".

i mean, what's this dragon born stuff? looks like some type of abomination to dnd. there's always been a draconic humanoid. it's called a kobold

Community Member

between troglodites kobolds and dragonborn, where the hell are lizard men?

okay so not necessarily evil but still of the evil outsider type like devils and orthons. they're outsiders of some sort and prone to banishment, effects, right?
    Nope. As Hobgoblin said above, they are considered "Native Outsiders." That means they are considered nominally Outsiders but Native to the Material Plane. Therefore, they are not subject to being Banished.

for the purpose of taking a favorite enemy to effect tieflings, what would you take?
    I don't know how DDO classifies them for that purpose. In the DDO Monster Manual, they are just "Humanoids."

Wheloon
    Last edited by Arkat; 01-06-2020 at 09:01 PM.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Default Love them!

2 words... Color Spray!

Also, ever since I got gnomes my garden has been awesome!
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

They re also at the marshlands of Keep on the borderlands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

I suppose that depends on the whose knee they are compared to.

here they say

Size: Gnomes are between 3 and 4 feet tall and average about 40 pounds. Your size is Small.

now granted they say small but that is average size for some races.

Besides if DDO made them too small what would we do about Fairy size if they brought them in?

Physical Description

Fairies rarely reach over 1 foot tall, and their wings come in many designs and patterns, ranging from butterfly to beetle. They often look like tiny elves, with pointed ears and ranging skin tones. They carry the normal array of human skin tones as well as light shades of the rest of the spectrum of colors, coming from light shades of red to copper and bronze. They can even carry small attributes of the insect family they hail from, including antennae, fluff, and the wing styles. Their eyes often look like a molten liquid but the pupils can be visible if you can ever get a close enough look. They love vibrantly colored clothes or shiny metal armor, something that speaks about their personality on a level that other pixies and some people can understand.

If DDO does decide to introduce Fairies

I know where there are loads of them

HERE
    Last edited by Brutuscass; 01-07-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    The downside to sycophancy is that you never get the best deal.
    Free spirits are always condemned. Only sycophants are tolerated.
    Even negative feed back can have a positive side if used to improve.

Community Member

"You do not own the Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes compendium expansion."

this is all that says about gnomes as far as i can tell. i'd put gnomes between a tennis ball and a basket ball.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kutalp View Post
    They re also at the marshlands of Keep on the borderlands.
    oh yeah. forgot (:

good call.

Community Member

"Besides if DDO made them too small what would we do about Fairy size if they brought them in?"

it's got fairies already. well, scaled down illusionary succubi, but pretty close. but yeah, that's about the size i think they should be. maybe with increased jump cap and racial hide in plain sight.

Community Member

"Besides if DDO made them too small what would we do about Fairy size if they brought them in?"

it's got fairies already. well, scaled down illusionary succubi, but pretty close. but yeah, that's about the size i think they should be. maybe with increased jump cap and racial hide in plain sight.
    oops, maybe i mean phenotypical hips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

My Guildie and running partner wont let me play gnomes (even though I was campaigning for them before it was fashionable).
    He says they are too ugly.

If I want to play a Gnome and run with the usual team.... I have to wear that cosmetic helm from The Borderlands the whole time...
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

"You do not own the Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes compendium expansion."

this is all that says about gnomes as far as i can tell. i'd put gnomes between a tennis ball and a basket ball.
    Sorry that link just copied over with the information found on the link I placed above that

Click here it you want to see it on the page

To put things into perspective

[IMG][/IMG]

I will not make any guess as to the size of Balls though

Edit

That is from a classic DnD pic

you can find more here

Last edited by Brutuscass; 01-07-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    The downside to sycophancy is that you never get the best deal.
    Free spirits are always condemned. Only sycophants are tolerated.
    Even negative feed back can have a positive side if used to improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast