Default Noob Trap: Chest Level manipulation (Jewel of Fortune etc)

Farming some named loot, I used a jewel of fortune that had been clogging my inventory for a while. Couldn't hurt right? Right. Too bad it doesn't help either.

Raising the level of a chest (Jewel, Dragonmark, ship buff, Pirate Treasure Map) produces, at best, more platinum and prettty much nothing else. The +6 Reconstructed Breastplate of 5% Happines lore you would have pulled will instead become the equally worthless +6 3/4 Reconstructed Breastplate of 5% Happiness Lore. It's still going strait to the vendor or deconstructor.

One could argue that raising the chest level actually renders the loot LESS valuable. For example, I have an odd fetish for low ML vorpal weapons; you might even say I"m "keen" on them. The lower the ML the better because that allows me to use them sooner when starting a new life. Furthermore, it increases the shard cost for chest rerolls.

This is a stretch, but it also makes raiding (slightly) less fun. On Orien, there are a few toons that were famously made for the sole purpose of being raid chest blessers. The rest of the party is expected to stand around and watch someone on their knees plead to a disinterested chest for named loot.

This mechanic may have had utility in ages past when House Quests were considered end game, Sigils of Leveling where chase loot, and paralyzers were as prized items with full Mythic AND reaper bonuses now are.

is it too late to reverse engineer the mechanic to instead do one or more of the following
    -Increase chance of named loot (like difficulty does)
    -Increase the likelihood of mythic or reaper bonuses (unlike anything currently)
    -Increase the effect of random loot (like Treasure Hunter Elixir)?
    Last edited by CaptainSpacePony; 12-29-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    Cilon can be found on Orien.

Community Member

This comes up once in a while. Raising the minimum level of loot pulls in low levels is only helpful if you need platinum or in the extraordinarily rare case you pull a tome. For folks running elite and reaper from level 1 onwards, it means you will almost never pull something you could actually use when you pull it. The only time it is arguably useful is if the chest is level 30 or higher. You can get better loot that way, but honestly if you aren’t using named gear in every slot by 30, you should take a step back and reevaluate your approach.

It would actually be far more useful if a gem of fortune, or chest blessing, or pirate treasure maps etc, lowered the ML of everything except tomes. I am quite serious. That way when we run elite or higher at low levels, we could get usable gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bracelet View Post
    This comes up once in a while. Raising the minimum level of loot pulls in low levels is only helpful if you need platinum or in the extraordinarily rare case you pull a tome. For folks running elite and reaper from level 1 onwards, it means you will almost never pull something you could actually use when you pull it. The only time it is arguably useful is if the chest is level 30 or higher. You can get better loot that way, but honestly if you aren’t using named gear in every slot by 30, you should take a step back and reevaluate your approach.

It would actually be far more useful if a gem of fortune, or chest blessing, or pirate treasure maps etc, lowered the ML of everything except tomes. I am quite serious. That way when we run elite or higher at low levels, we could get usable gear.
    I would add that by level 10, veteran players use very little to no random loot. It's named or crafted. Personally, I, as an uber-vet with lots of past lives have all my gear set (named/crafted) by lvl 5 (exception being vorpals of the keen or ghost touch varieties).

LOL I never buy those things.
    I only use ones I got on a silver or gold roll
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    LOL I never buy those things.
    I only use ones I got on a silver or gold roll
    I agree--they are basically worthless.

Community Member

Like sending a jpg to Helen Keller. Useless.
    Pirate maps also. Useless.

Unfortunately even stacking all the boosting (Jewels, Dragonmarks, ship buffs, Pirate Treasure Maps) doesn't boost the junk loot into relevance.

Boosted junk loot is still junk loot.

Cannith crafting is just better across the board, Named loot is obviously better because its named loot.

Unless dev's rework junk loot scaling to be boosted to be worthwhile all these boosters are just a waste of money effectively ripping off the uneducated players..
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

Community Member

Jewel of fortune works for random loot.
    Elixer of Discovery works for named loot.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post

is it too late to reverse engineer the mechanic to instead do one or more of the following
    -Increase chance of named loot (like difficulty does)
    -Increase the likelihood of mythic or reaper bonuses (unlike anything currently)
    -Increase the effect of random loot (like Treasure Hunter Elixir)?
    I would love it if they would do something like this but as long as the elixers of discovery exist, the chances of them giving a boost to named loot are basically zero.
    Neurik of Argo.
    8 Ranger 8 Rogue 4 Arti Inquisitor Heroic TR build--> https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...eroic-TR-build

now if you want TOTALLY useless.

Bigbys pointy finger of *** and why is it in the gold roll table?
    They are truly...useless.
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I would love if they ditched the pointing fingers and expanded the range of numbers that give boxes of collectibles. That’s my favorite “below 90” roll.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

One of my biggest disappointments in DDO was getting above average roll on gold dice and it was finger (pun intended)...

I was actually more happy getting 1 on silver roll.

Default Solution

Ruminating on this issue has led me to the following suggestion:

Combine Jewels of Fortune, Pirate Treasure Maps, Elixers of Nifty Loot, Dragon Marks of Santa Claus, and all related things should all have the same effect (just varying degrees of magnitude).

Retroactively apply the changes to existing consumables while you're at it, please.

I've got stacks of these on my mule, because I never use them either...

Perhaps I am a noob then.

I use Jewels of Fortune all the time (since I seem to get so many with my daily rolls), they make all the vendor trash just a little better so when I dump them in the Crafting cruncher machine I get more materials.

It does seem to help leveling a crafter as you need THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of items to get anywhere near a level where you can start making decent items. Every little bit helps.
    Bring teleport more inline with PnP: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Basic-Teleport
    Player made quests can work in DDO: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...erated-content

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bradik_Losdar View Post
    Perhaps I am a noob then.

I use Jewels of Fortune all the time (since I seem to get so many with my daily rolls), they make all the vendor trash just a little better so when I dump them in the Crafting cruncher machine I get more materials.

It does seem to help leveling a crafter as you need THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of items to get anywhere near a level where you can start making decent items. Every little bit helps.
    That was my thought too - Cannith essences, but even then a single jewel might add like 15 extra essences when you crunch everything.

The only other possible application I could see is if maybe they worked on the chests that drop from Cannith challenge bosses - the ones that go into your inventory but basically give you a random chest worth of loot. Those always drop loot that's several levels below the challenge level itself...so depending how many levels +/- you're at, that might boost things up to a more optimal tier.

Even then its still mostly just vendor junk, but you could at least farm enough of them before you eat the jewel that you might find one Masterwork Boots of Striding or Vorpal weapon for leveling or something.

thats why you use non-consumable sources like dragonmarks or pirate maps if you want that sort of thing
    The problem with focusing on the most extreme of players is that that group will only get smaller and smaller... Oof
    You know you have a problem when a virtual fantasy game ruins your concept of real world money and its value.