Lightbulb Swiss Army Knife Challenge Farmer (Falconry)

Swiss Army Knife Heroic Challenge Farmer
    14 Monk, 1 Fighter, 1 Rogue
    Lawful Neutral

This is an updated and altered version of EllisDee's (awesome) heroic challenge farmer build. As far as I am aware (at the time of writing) he is no longer playing nor updating any of his builds so I decided to create a new thread since this build is so far from his original idea it's daft. The build itself is a modified version of an idea of his.

The build idea was to be able to go Falconry based, open locked doors in mansion runs and get Whirlwind Attack. As a result STR has been dumped entirely to focus on WIS, CON and DEX. I also hardly ever run The Crucible so unlike ED37's original this build drop kicks that idea straight out the door! Due to the Rogue level we get full access to UMD and Open Lock, though during heroic levelling you may want to aim for more trapping skills to help with XP gains. If so then drop WIS down a point and put those points in to INT for more skill points. The build is 36pt since mine has TR'd a few times now.

This build isn't exactly new player friendly by any means (something which ED37's build was very good with) and for the most part a lot of it is probably overkill but I like overkill so here we are

Past Lives of Note

My farmer has the following past lives:

• Monk x2 (this is her 3rd Monk life).
    • Doublestrike x3 (epic).

Other past lives you might consider to be worth getting (even if they are even more overkill) would be Paladin, Fighter and Barbarian. Though you could argue for Artificer too I guess.

Swiss Army Knife Heroic Challenge Farmer

Level Order

1. Rogue . . . . . 6. Monk. . . . . .11. Monk. . . . . .16. Fighter
    2. Monk . . . . . .7. Monk . . . . . 12. Monk
    3. Monk . . . . . .8. Monk . . . . . 13. Monk
    4. Monk . . . . . .9. Monk . . . . . 14. Monk
    5. Monk . . . . . 10. Monk . . . . . 15. Monk

Stats
    . . . . . . . .36pt . . Tome . . Level Up
    . . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .--------
    Strength. . . . .8. . . .+6. . . .4: WIS
    Dexterity . . . 15. . . .+6. . . .8: WIS
    Constitution. . 15. . . .+6. . . 12: WIS
    Intelligence. . 12. . . .+6. . . 16: WIS
    Wisdom. . . . . 18. . . .+6
    Charisma. . . . .8. . . .+6. . .

Skills
    . . . . . R .M .M .M .M .M .M .M .M .M .M .M .M .M .M .F
    . . . . . 1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    . . . . .------------------------------------------------
    Concent . 2 .2 .2 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 19
    Balance . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 19
    Jump. . . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 19
    UMD . . . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 19
    Open Lo . 4 . . . .½ .½ .½ .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .. . 15
    Heal. . . 2 .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ . . .9
    Disable . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Search. . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Tumble. . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    Haggle. . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
    . . . . .------------------------------------------------
    . . . . .40 .7 .7 .7 .7 .7 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .8 .9 .7

Feats

.1. . . . : Two Weapon Fighting
    .1 Human. : Least Dragonmark: Passage
    .2 Monk . : Dodge
    .3. . . . : Stunning Fist
    .3 Monk . : Mobility
    .6. . . . : Combat Expertise
    .7 Monk . : Spring Attack
    .9. . . . : Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    12. . . . : Improved Critical: Bludgeoning
    15. . . . : Whirlwind Attack
    16 Fighter: Greater Two Weapon Fighting

.4 Monk . : Path of Harmonious Balance

My farmer has +6 in all stats (technically +7 but doesn't come in for a few more levels) and +4 in all skills except for UMD (which is +2). The only tomes that are needed are a +2 DEX tome which can be got from the 1,750 favor reward and a +1 INT tome to qualify for Combat Expertise so you must have that by level 6 or take a place holder feat until you find one but try to have it done before you take level 15 which is where you get Whirlwind Attack.

Enhancements (64 of 64 AP)

As you can see in the image I have an extra 2 points spent and this is from buying the expansions which grant a +1 Racial Action Point and a +1 Universal Action Point. We manage to pick the teleport options from the dragonmark (which is very handy) and it grants an additional use for a total of 6 uses of Dimension Door per rest. Depending on what tomes you have you might have to play around a little bit to even out your WIS score.

If you are starting out at level 1 then focus on the Falconry tree first to get WIS for to-hit and damage and then start on the others as you see fit/prefer.

Final Stats

The above is with only ship buffs (level 87 at the time of writing), Greater Heroism and in Wind Stance (which I stay in all the time for the stacking Doublestrike and extra attack speed). Currently sitting at 23% Dodge (cap is 25%). Also note that I am missing a few of the favor perks since I stoned to 16 because I just wanted it done so will be getting a few extra bits and bobs but you get the general scope of things.

With Greater Heroism we have following for the main skills that we are after:

• Balance = 48.
    • Concentration = 58.
    • Heal = 46.
    • Jump = 36.
    • Open Lock = 39.
    • UMD = 31.

Craft up a trinket with Persuasion of Charisma +8 with Insightful Charisma +3 and you reach 39 UMD (no fail True Seeing scrolls). For Greater Heroism you can either farm up a Planar Gird or get the pots from the commendations vendor in Eveningstar (1 Cleric commandation per pot, they are unbound and last 20 minutes).

Gear

Much of what is here is Cannith Crafted, the only thing I need to do is upgrade my Brawling Gloves to tier 3. You might be wondering why they are on this build since it doesn't use STR. While true that it doesn't, STR affects carrying capacity and the gloves have some other nice effects as well as a green augment slot when fully upgraded.

Eyes - Wisdom +8 of Deadly +6 with Insightful Wisdom +3 (Fear Immunity).
    Body - Tier 3 Frozen Tunic with Alchemical +1 AC (Protection +5).
    Wrists - Tier 3 Bracers of Wind (Good Luck +1).
    Ring - Spell Resistance +18 of Sheltering +20 with Insightful Dexterity +3 (Natural Armour +5).
    Boots - Dexterity +8 of Parrying +3 with Insightful Seeker +3 and (Blindness Immunity).
    Gloves - Tier 3 Brawling Gloves (Green Slot).
    Ring - Tier 3 Ring of the Stalker (Heal +9).
    Belt - Elite Arkat's Cord with (Deathblock).
    Back - Cloak of Invisibility (Heavy Fort).
    Trinket - Doublestrike +9% of Stunning +9 with Insightful Stunning +4 and Eldritch Resistance (+1 saves).
    Neck - Constitution +8 of Devotion +97 with Insightful Constitution +3 and (Resistance +5).
    Quiver - Quiver of Alacrity (upgraded).
    Head - Cove Hat (Superior False Life and Concentration +15 etc).
    Costmetic - Outfit of the Celestial Avenger.
    Cosmetic - Glowing Eyes (Epic Violet).

If you don't have the Quiver of Alacrity then simply use the Expeditious Retreat clicky that comes from the Dragonmark.

Item Swaps

Visor of the Flesh Render Guards (Death Ward clicky though again you can use the pots from Eveningstar if you don't want to farm Tangleroot till your eyes bleed).
    Silver Flame Necklace (though with 42 Spell Resistance I am not sure this will be even needed).
    Feather Fall item (handy for certain jumps so either craft it up or buy one from the auction house).
    True Seeing item (if you can't be bothered with using scrolls).

Weapons (Handwraps)

All of my weapons are Bound and Attuned with the extra point of damage per hit ritual (I think it's better instead of the critical hit one due to attack speed, offhand strikes and doublestrike).

• Scraps of Enlightenment (Vampire Slayer) (I use these for pretty much everything since I discovered that they bypass Adamantine DR).
    • Triple Postive Greensteel (for use in Kobold Island only pretty much, the insta kill on a 20 is just too good to pass up).
    • +5 Unholy 4 Handwraps of Chaotic Outsider Bane 4 (Greater Acid) (used only for killing the Lantern Archon).

Ranged is simply the Arc Ricochet since I pulled it but it's mostly just for hitting levers so you could craft a basic one or grab one from the auction house as cheap as you can find.

Stoner81.

I've been playing around to shift ED's excellent build in this direction, and, yes, first hard decision was to toss the Relex Saves for no-fail Crucible out the window. A nice touch on the original, but unless it's a Dex build (and unless you can afford the AP in Ninja)... nupe.

It'll take a while to soak yours all in, but one quick question - re alignment: Lawful is mandatory for Monk, but why Good?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    one quick question - re alignment: Lawful is mandatory for Monk, but why Good?
    That was more of an "oops" by me more than anything. Hence why it has /neutral Neutral is better since you don't take the negative level from the archon beaters afaik. I will get round to changing mine at some point but for now Lawful Good is fine. Edited the OP so alignment now says Lawful Neutral only.

Stoner81.

Copy that, thx (and been there! )

If going to Epic, there are reasons to be "good" for certain ED's, but if you're going to park at 16 the only reason I could think of was some gear I wasn't seeing.