Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    40

    Default How far can Free-to-Play go?

    I'm pretty new to this MMO. I've barely touched DDO because I've known I would never be able to unlock everything. Still This has been the furthest I've ever gone in 10 years.
    I don't know how how long Ill continue because of that.

    Every function requires cash. Just moving things between characters requires cash.

    My highest character is just a level 8(9th level banked) Cleric but I've already found I picked a bad Race and Domain combination. I can't use True Reincarnation because that costs Cash.

  2. #2
    Community Member Mglaxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I'm pretty new to this MMO. I've barely touched DDO because I've known I would never be able to unlock everything. Still This has been the furthest I've ever gone in 10 years.
    I don't know how how long Ill continue because of that.

    Every function requires cash. Just moving things between characters requires cash.

    My highest character is just a level 8(9th level banked) Cleric but I've already found I picked a bad Race and Domain combination. I can't use True Reincarnation because that costs Cash.
    you can gain access to most of ddo by grinding points out and watching for sales.

    https://ddowiki.com/page/Free_To_Play

    https://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play

    https://ddowiki.com/page/Account_comparisons

    https://ddowiki.com/page/Free_to_Pla...nt_walkthrough

    Can's say all these are up to date but should help somewhat

    https://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Store has pricing for store packs items etc.....

    My advice would be get an iconic race asap for grinding favor off for points if you intend to stay free to play you can also use the iconic to farm gear for your main or alts as needed
    Main 100+ Lives ( 42/42 HTR - 15/21 ITR - 45/48 ETR - 13/14 RAP - 33/36 RTR - 96/156 ), Jynxer - Completionist ( 22/42 HTR - 7/21 ITR - 12/36 ETR - 2/14 RAP - 1/36 RTR - 36/156 ), SoulDuster - Completionist ( 15x HTR 3x ETR 20/156 ) BlakReign - 1st Life Reaper https://ibb.co/album/k1hMqa https://ibb.co/album/g0yuAa https://ibb.co/album/bXjCWF

  3. #3
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    18,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Just moving things between characters requires cash.
    If it's an unbound item, you can mail it to your other character or use an alt account to make a trading partner. Bound-to-account (BtA) gear requires a shared bank.
    My highest character is just a level 8(9th level banked) Cleric but I've already found I picked a bad Race and Domain combination. I can't use True Reincarnation because that costs Cash.
    Every character should get one free Heart of Wood at creation for a Lesser Reincarnation so you can fix any build mistakes. Unfortunately you can't change your race, but no race is so bad at being a cleric as to be unplayable.

    BTW you can't True Reincarnate until level 20 anyway. You can farm for Tokens of the Twelve if you want to HTR without spending money in the Store.

    You can earn about 1,000 Store points via the 100-Favor Dash on every server. The first 80 Favor for 100 Store points takes about two hours, presuming you're soloing and have to start from Normal. Obviously it goes faster if you can join an Elite PUG and just, well, pike it.

    There's a lot of F2P quests, but they start thinning out after level 8. Nevertheless, it is possible to level to 20 on just F2P quests. It just gets really tedious to farm those mid-to-high-heroic quests.

    Yes, everything in DDO is designed to cost you time or money or both. "Free-to-play" is just a marketing catchphrase because it's pithier than "free to try out but then we slow your progress hoping you spend cash because money hats don't make themselves." Nevertheless, compared to a lot of other F2P games, I find DDO to be much more generous in terms of how much content you can experience before you really need to start spending money in the Store.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I'm pretty new to this MMO. I've barely touched DDO because I've known I would never be able to unlock everything. Still This has been the furthest I've ever gone in 10 years.
    I don't know how how long Ill continue because of that.

    Every function requires cash. Just moving things between characters requires cash.

    My highest character is just a level 8(9th level banked) Cleric but I've already found I picked a bad Race and Domain combination. I can't use True Reincarnation because that costs Cash.
    What race, domain and feats did you choose?

  5. #5
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    4,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I've barely touched DDO because I've known I would never be able to unlock everything...

    Every function requires cash. Just moving things between characters requires cash.

    ...I can't use True Reincarnation because that costs Cash.
    Um... no. No, it doesn't.

    Don't know who's telling you all this, or where you think you're reading it, but it's simply not the case.


    Moving 99.9% of things doesn't require cash, it only requires a Shared Bank, which only requires that you play the game and earn Favor (= DDO Points, = free stuff).

    And TR doesn't cost cash - you get to 20, farm up 20 Tokens of the Twelve (easy), done.

    (LR - that costs cash after the first free one (free LHoW w/ every new alt), but that's recommended saved for when you make a mistake.)

    A ~little~ cash helps (Premium >> true F2P), but that can be less than $5 when stuff is on sale, less then you'd pay for a fast-food lunch or a 2nd-run movie, done.

  6. #6
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    4,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Human race, Luck domain, Mental Toughness feat and Luck of the Heroes feat.

    My first mistake was making choices like DDO was Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition.
    Okay, first, shake it off.

    You're right, but we've all been there - seriously, I'm not just saying that. Very, VERY few players are lucky enough to dodge enough mistakes to see their first character make it anywhere near 20. VERY few. I could tell you about my first alts... oy, light a match.

    (and see "Basics of DDO" in my sig - it's there for a reason)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Now I know Humans are the worst of the Free-To-Play races...
    Okay, you really need to slow down - cuz you're wrong again.

    Humans are one of the best of the free races - depending exactly what you're building. Starting with an extra feat can be money in a feat-constrained build - and there's more than one of those out there. +2 to a stat is nothing compared to a Feat for some builds. And many builds have no AP to spare for racial trees, so they just don't matter.*

    (* FIrst, there's often better stuff out there to spend the AP on, and second, Humans have one of the better trees in the game, at least of the F2P races!)

    Sim w/ your analysis of the others - some of the stuff you say is true, but it's outweighed by other factors that you just aren't considering.

    Perhaps THE biggest diff between 3.0/3.5 and DDO is Enhancements. And you'd have to learn all the enhancements, top to bottom, and internalize them before you can start to compare racial trees vs. weapon choices vs. saving throws - I sure can't. Only a few players can even present such convincingly.

    Holy Sword is a very good ability to improve your Critical chance and Critical Damage.
    Here's a great example. You're absolutely correct, HS is a VERY good spell. But you don't get it until Level 14 at the earliest - how is the DPS for that build leveling up until then? That's (very) approximately 2/3 of the game play if you're only going to 20* - so... worth it???

    Not an easy answer, certainly not an intuitive one. Altho' what you say is 100% true, it's only one very small piece in the puzzle that makes up a single 1-20 life of a character.

    (* If going to 30, entirely different discussion!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    As far as I can tell, Dungeons and Dragons online is Pay-to-Win.
    Mmmm.... depends what you mean by "win". If you mean "Lead the kill count, crush all content effortlessly, be admired and awed by all" - okay, maybe, sure, cash can be a nice shortcut for that.

    But if you mean "can't have fun" - just wrong. I'm dedicated F2P w/ only a couple exceptions to become Premium - and I have 99% of everything that a VIP has. And 100% of the fun (and maybe more, cuz my fun is free!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    For example the Half-orc in Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition is pretty bad, but in DDO it has excellent Racial Enhancement bonuses that make it an awesome melee warrior...
    Um... say it with me... DDO is not 3.5.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Chaosticket1
    Originally Posted by Coffey
    What race, domain and feats did you choose?
    Human race, Luck domain, Mental Toughness feat and Luck of the Heroes feat.

    My first mistake was making choices like DDO was Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition.
    =================================================
    Now I know Humans are the worst of the Free-To-Play races. Their Racial Enhancements are non-stacking so they have a little bit in different areas which makes them mediocre overall.

    Dwarfs have nice bonus against Spells and Poison. Their Racial Enhancements are very good with Axes and can boost their Saving Throws. Their Racial Core abilities are mediocre, just more hit points.

    Elves have a Constitution penalty which hurts on a 28point, but they gain several free Martial Weapon proficiencies. Elf Clerics can become followers of the Undying Court, which use Scimitars, the only 18-20 Crit weapon a Cleric can have and overall the best Cleric weapon.

    Halflings take a Strength and Carrying penalty, but can have +4 to all Saving Throws just by buying Racial Core enhancements.
    =================================================
    Domains are tricky. I did more research before picking one at level 2. They dont operate anywhere like Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition. I thought Luck would be a safe domain, because its very good on the Tabletop.

    War is one I didnt pick because its bad on in D&D3rd. However is much better in DDO. It gives all Martial and Exotic weapon Proficiencies, raw bonuses to accuracy and damage, special melee attack DCs. Holy Sword is a very good ability to improve your Critical chance and Critical Damage.

    Animal Domain Level 2: You gain +1 Spot, +1 Listen, and +1 Reflex saving throws for every 2 Cleric levels.
    Level 5: You gain 10 hit points per Cleric level. You also add 10 hit points for each epic level you have gained.
    Level 9: You gain +15% fortification bypass.
    Level 14: You gain the Feral Charge ability. Your character to briefly morphs into a bear and charges forward through foes, attacking all foes in the charge area. The attack does weapon damage based on your equipped weapon with a +3(W) bonus, and enemies must make a Reflex saving throw with a DC of 19 + Wisdom modifier + Trip Bonuses or be knocked down. Cooldown is 15 seconds. This ability can only be used while holding a melee weapon.
    =======================
    As far as I can tell, Dungeons and Dragons online is Pay-to-Win. For example the Half-orc in Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition is pretty bad, but in DDO it has excellent Racial Enhancement bonuses that make is an awesome melee warrior especially Barbarian with 32+ point.
    First things first, get the PnP vs MMO idea out of your head, the game is not going to be like PnP.


    Humans are well rounded, making them one of the easiest races to play.

    Dwarves can use their constitution for Damage with Throw your weight around, they have damage and hit with dwarven weapons.

    "Best cleric weapon" is the one which allows your cleric to do what it is built for. Animal Domain is in my opinion one of the better ones.

    It is definitely NOT pay to win, too many people get that idea when things aren't done the way they want them to be. You don't have to put any money into the game at all. C-Dog and the others have given ways in which you can play for free completely, you just have to know that it's likely to take a bit more time to get the DDO points by doing the favor route.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Human is really good for a free-to-play race. It has an extra Feat, and access to Healing Amp. The Action Boosts can be nice too. I have played many human characters, even with access to pay-to-play races.

    Luck Domain is not bad. Displacement is one of the best defensive spells, and you get +2 to DCs, which is great for casting.

    Luck of Heroes is a bad feat. You can get one free Feat change by doing the Hall of the Mark quest then talking to Fred in House Jorasco.

    Which Deity did you choose?
    If it was Sovereign Host or Onatar you can upgrade your Longsword or Warhammer criticals to better than Scimitar with the Knight's Training feat.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Thats gotten off topic. the more important part is how unlocking all the Classes is practically impossible. I dont even know why to continue because anything I would work to unlock requires either Cash or years of grinding. I dont even know what Platinum is for now as the game has a Loot-Based Economy. Either I get it from a quest or Its not in my game.

    DDO doesnt seem to have any point. Its quickly become a bog of tedious grinding for nothing but the sake of grinding. Its a waste of money because the value of everything in the shop amounts to hundreds of dollars. Brand New games go for $60.

    The only things I can unlock are on a Per-Server basis, not account. Thats just the Drow and maybe Level 4 characters. So it looks like a dead end.
    Last edited by Chaosticket1; 12-25-2019 at 03:38 AM.

  10. #10
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    4,922

    Default

    You sound depressed. You're clearly smart enough to be able to analyze stuff, but you're desperately focusing on and exaggerating the negative. As your doctor and your lawyer, I strongly advise you to shake it off, because while this forum is friendly, it is not always patient. Saddle up, cowboy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Elf Clerics with Scimitars can easily stack on Warpriest Favored Weapon bonuses, Elf racial bonuses, and Spells to be extremely damaging.
    Only gonna say this one more time - that's all true, but it's only one part of the equation. If it were as important as you make it out, all melee (or melee clerics, or whatever) would be elfs - and they aren't. Not even close.

    So there's gotta be something else going on... hmmmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I dont even know what Platinum is for now as the game has a Loot-Based Economy. Either I get it from a quest or Its not in the game.
    As before, in part you're correct - and the part you're missing is that others are in the same boat. So the Auction House is where you can find decent stuff for platinum. It's not "leet lewt", but it's solid for a 1st-lifer. Got me to 20 np.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I dont even know why to continue because anything I would work to unlock requires either Cash or years of grinding.
    All of it? Yep, years. The important parts? A (one) year. One thing? a season, tops.

    And I speak from long experience. I started almost exactly 8 years ago, took a couple years off, never played seriously until this last year, and currently own all but one of the newer expansion packs (and just a couple of the older ones that don't speak to me very loudly). All races except Tiefling, all classes, I can earn all trees via favor, and lots of Quality-of-Life bells and whistles thrown in along the way. Divide that by 6 years of casual play, and - sorry, but you can earn the DP to get stuff (on sale) pretty easily.

    (Maybe you need to grind smarter?)


    Otoh, if you honestly don't know why you're playing... then stop. Go find something you enjoy. There's a lot to enjoy about DDO - but only you can answer that for yourself.
    o7

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Community Member janave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Thats gotten off topic. the more important part is how unlocking all the Classes is practically impossible. I dont even know why to continue because anything I would work to unlock requires either Cash or years of grinding. I dont even know what Platinum is for now as the game has a Loot-Based Economy. Either I get it from a quest or Its not in my game.

    DDO doesnt seem to have any point. Its quickly become a bog of tedious grinding for nothing but the sake of grinding. Its a waste of money because the value of everything in the shop amounts to hundreds of dollars. Brand New games go for $60.

    The only things I can unlock are on a Per-Server basis, not account. Thats just the Drow and maybe Level 4 characters. So it looks like a dead end.

    Well, by design cash vs time, they understand that most players will favor saving their time, DDO vets on the TR hamsterwheel tend to obtain around 500-700 pts while leveling up (largely dependent on how they play) using a variety of quests (first time bonus plays along this). 100 circuits would probably unlock everything in 5-10 years, again depending on playtime invested, or you could pay about a few days of work money for the same. It is working as intended .

    Platinum is to interact with NPC shops, rarely the standard AH, and mainly character tree resets, the latter is useful at 30 while perfecting gear setup, or just trying different specs.

    IMO, DDO's "point" if any was always to try find and construct effective+fun builds, altho these days most would just point you to an tested Inquisitive build that is effective from 1-30 (and up to higher reaper skulls when kitted out with BiS gear) with some highs and lows at certain level ranges.

    When I first started, I liked unlocking content, it was an additional goal post or checkpoint to reach, but since then I just decided to buy content, as the additional repetition as you wrote yourself became very boring, there is enough repetition while getting loots and leveling up different layers. EDs, Reaper, Sentience...




    At some point the Devs might just bend and decide to provide more Tempest Spine like end raids, jump in, loot a bunch of chests with 12 people, and may even pull something worthwhile :P.

    Not much expectations tho, as the `all is well crowd` on the TR wheel is providing input for more the same, possibly the worst grinds: Race TR for example was a player suggestion.... there we go :P



    EDIT: removed some variables
    Last edited by janave; 12-25-2019 at 05:13 AM.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Something like this if you use the lesser heart of wood to rebuild at the Hall of Heroes.

    Neutral Human Cleric 20 War Domain
    Long Sword & Orb Heavy Armor

    Strength 16 + Level Ups
    Dexterity 8
    Constitution 14
    Intelligence 10
    Wisdom 12
    Charisma 14

    Balance
    Heal
    Jump

    1 Single Weapon Fighting 10% Att Speed, +3 Combat Style bonus to Melee Power
    1 Power Attack +5 Damage
    1 Follower of the Sovereign Host
    2 War Domain +1 Hit Damage
    3 Quicken
    4 War Domain +1 Hit Damage
    6 Knights Training Makes a 18-20x3 Crit
    8 War Domain +1 Hit Damage
    9 Improved Single Weapon Fighting 20% Att Speed, Melee Power is +6, apply 25% more of your appropriate ability score to your damage
    12 Improved Critical Slashing 17-20x3
    12 War Domain +1 Hit Damage
    14 HolySword Spell 16-20x4 Crit
    15 Greater Single Weapon Fighting 30% Att Speed, Melee Power is +10, apply 50% more of your appropriate ability score to your damage
    16 War Domain +1 Hit Damage
    18 Child of the Sovereign +2 Hit Damage, Haste Spell 15% Att Speed
    20 War Domain +1 Hit Damage

    War Priest 41 AP Divine Might, +7 Hit Damage, 10% Double Strike, Action Boost 30 Melee/Ranged Power 30
    Human? 20 to 60 Heal Amp, +2 Strength, Temporary Stength/Charisma, Acrion Boost Human Melee/Ranged Power 20
    Radiant Servant? Positive Spell Power, Positive Energy Burst, Turn Undead
    Turn Undead and Positive Energy Burst trigger a War Domain Bonus: your party gains a Divine bonus to Melee Power and Ranged Power equal to half your Cleric level for 20 seconds.
    Positive Energy Burst can be quickened

    Do all the favor quests on elite as you level up to unlock a lot of useful things. If any quests are too difficult at level you can play them 4 levels higher and still get exp for them.
    I used to keep the wiki quest list and favor pages open for reference they helped me a lot. F2P parties are a lot of fun when they happen.

    Most of all try to play the game at your own pace and ejnoy the content. You will get there in good time.
    Last edited by Coffey; 12-26-2019 at 10:02 PM.

  14. #14
    Community Member lyrecono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I'm pretty new to this MMO. I've barely touched DDO because I've known I would never be able to unlock everything. Still This has been the furthest I've ever gone in 10 years.
    I don't know how how long Ill continue because of that.

    Every function requires cash. Just moving things between characters requires cash.

    My highest character is just a level 8(9th level banked) Cleric but I've already found I picked a bad Race and Domain combination. I can't use True Reincarnation because that costs Cash.
    make sure you check the meta section, talk to people that use your prefered playstyle at cap, the ballance in the game is broken at the moment and the devs pretend they don't hear our complaints because the sale of pots and broken class trees offers them more money and fun (for the few devs that still play, they often play x-bows).
    if your style isn't pew pew, go away and never look back, spend the money on family, your health, a good cause, anything better then spending 500 bucks in a game only to find out that it sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

  15. #15
    Community Member Gniewomir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    aaaa
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Thats gotten off topic. the more important part is how unlocking all the Classes is practically impossible. I dont even know why to continue because anything I would work to unlock requires either Cash or years of grinding. I dont even know what Platinum is for now as the game has a Loot-Based Economy. Either I get it from a quest or Its not in my game.

    DDO doesnt seem to have any point. Its quickly become a bog of tedious grinding for nothing but the sake of grinding. Its a waste of money because the value of everything in the shop amounts to hundreds of dollars. Brand New games go for $60.

    The only things I can unlock are on a Per-Server basis, not account. Thats just the Drow and maybe Level 4 characters. So it looks like a dead end.
    Yeah, it's a pain and grind, but possible. I started playing as f2p, few times i bought points, but it was back in days when there were even 65 points available to buy, so i think i never even spend 20 bucks on game. And i managed to unlock literally everything, although i admit it require some patience and farming.

    Advice from me: make characters on every server, try to get as much favor as u can. After you buy new packs run them on those other servers. For example for 1k favor on each server u get 100 bonus points. If at some point you'll have nothing to run, make secondary character and again, run as long as u can. You can consider leaving one character spot for favor farming - join random elite parties, run with them until 100 favor, then delete character and create new and wait for next opportunity to make this 100 favor run, usually its harbor elites only. And dont waste pointsz dont buy races, classes etc. The more adevnture packs u got, the higher is your points income, so buying packs is your priority. Look for info which packs are best to buy, dont buy random junk.

    Edit: although i agree prices are crazy high. Best bundles of new expansions with like 10 quests for 14 yo mmorpg are as expensive as buying 2-3 AAA games right at premiere...
    Last edited by Gniewomir; 12-25-2019 at 07:43 AM.

  16. #16
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    11,118

    Default

    You can do a lot as a FtP player.
    (Although I am sure you will find the restrictions annoying.... but that is probably the intention.)

    That said, I do not think being VIP is expensive at all. Assuming you like this game and play often anyway.
    I wouldn't encourage anyone to spend money if they don't play often; but if you play almost everyday like I do, it is way worth the cost IMO, and not all that expensive IMO either.
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    107

    Default

    lyrecono

    make sure you check the meta section, talk to people that use your prefered playstyle at cap, the ballance in the game is broken at the moment and the devs pretend they don't hear our complaints because the sale of pots and broken class trees offers them more money and fun (for the few devs that still play, they often play x-bows).
    if your style isn't pew pew, go away and never look back, spend the money on family, your health, a good cause, anything better then spending 500 bucks in a game only to find out that it sucks
    You're only saying that because you are not getting yourself a god mode strength class. Besides I thought you said you were leaving.

  18. #18
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    18,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Now I know Humans are the worst of the Free-To-Play races.


    Uhhh, no. Whoever told you that was wrong. Humans are not only one of the best F2P races, they're one of the best races, period. [...okay it sounds a little racist when I put it like that, but] Extra feat and skill points, racial action boosts, +1 to your core stat, cheap heal amp - there's few if any builds which don't benefit from some or all of human perks. They're also the only race with access to more than one Dragonmark. They're not the best race for every build, but they are usually in the top 2-3 options for any build.

    Most of what you list as perks of the other races either aren't that useful or only benefit certain niche builds. E.g., if you want a CON-based melee, dwarf is the only way to go. Although the answer to "should I make a CON-based melee?" is usually "oh hell no" and I have an entire thread dedicated to them.
    War is one I didnt pick because its bad on in D&D3rd. However is much better in DDO. It gives all Martial and Exotic weapon Proficiencies, raw bonuses to accuracy and damage, special melee attack DCs. Holy Sword is a very good ability to improve your Critical chance and Critical Damage.
    Yes if you want a pure battlecleric and don't have access to one of the Universal trees (i.e., Vistani Knife Fighter or Inquisitive), then War Domain is usually your best option. See my Cleric Domains thread for links to various cleric builds.
    As far as I can tell, Dungeons and Dragons online is Pay-to-Win.
    Right now the biggest "Pay 2 Win" element is the Inquisitive tree, which is outperforming so many other builds it's not even funny. Otherwise the importance of P2W is usually vastly overstated.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

  19. #19
    Community Member Nebless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    I'm pretty new to this MMO. I've barely touched DDO because I've known I would never be able to unlock everything. Still This has been the furthest I've ever gone in 10 years.
    I don't know how how long Ill continue because of that.
    Why do you think you need to unlock everything? Not everything is useful and not everything is fun or even needed to have fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Every function requires cash. Just moving things between characters requires cash.
    No it doesn't

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    My highest character is just a level 8(9th level banked) Cleric but I've already found I picked a bad Race and Domain combination. I can't use True Reincarnation because that costs Cash.
    True fact; 99.9% of all first rolled characters get deleted. You will make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes and what you do is learn from them and start over.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Thats gotten off topic. the more important part is how unlocking all the Classes is practically impossible.
    Again, why do you need to? What is this strange need to play every race and class? I know there's some I don't care about and that includes some of the free ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    DDO doesnt seem to have any point. Its quickly become a bog of tedious grinding for nothing but the sake of grinding. Its a waste of money because the value of everything in the shop amounts to hundreds of dollars. Brand New games go for $60.
    Well then, go play one of those games. So far all I've gotten out of your thread is Oh woe is me!

    The point of any game is to have fun. Plan on some grinding if you plan on playing free, as far as it being a bog of tedious grinding - then don't! There's 74 free lvl 1 to 10 dungeons and 25 lvl 11 to 20 dungeons.

    I've played Free for the first 5 years I've been here, I've still never had a sub, but I have bought some packs that I wanted. Not ALL the packs or expansions because quite frankly some of them don't appeal to me, but between the free and what I've bought, I can sit down, play and enjoy myself exploring dungeons and killing monsters.
    Last edited by Nebless; 12-25-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

  20. #20
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    4,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    Im not experienced with Dragonmarks or Action Boosts...
    RIGHT. Stop right there and listen to yourself.

    You know tabletop D&D, apparently. If I came to you and said "I'm not experienced with classes or feats or BAB or Hit Points or "role playing", but from the Drzzt novels I know Drow, so let me tell you what's right and wrong with D&D..."... well, then, you'd look at me like we are all looking at you.

    You clearly don't know this game. You think you do, but you really do not, and each of your posts only makes that more evident.

    And that's fine - it's not a simple game to get to "know". It's not intuitive, and, you're right - it's not well explained in game (so read the Wiki!). After playing for 6 months I believed that I knew more about it than I believe now - because since then I've become better aware of how much I don't know. (If that makes sense. )

    You need to get on that train, and accept that one failed character does not mean you know what is/not strong in this game. Really.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosticket1 View Post
    ... because the Respec items are Cash-only...
    Dragonmarks start at "Least" and require a Feat, which for their benefits is a waste...
    Human's can have several Action Boosts, but I think those all rely in a the same "pool"...
    Humans are just mediocre...
    Halflings... are quite good for for Stealthy and Spellcaster classes...
    Wow, 5 statements that are so far from reality in DDO that I have to wonder what game you are playing. And that's after people who have played for years, some of whom are recognized as build/character Gurus (for one reason or another)(and I'm not referring to myself), are explaining things to you and you are ignoring them. Where does that leave you?

    Okay, now I can see that either I'm wrong (and you're not half as bright as I thought) so "explaining" stuff to you is a waste of time, or you are indeed just trolling for the attention.

    Prove me wrong. Until then, GL...

    /out

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload