Community Member

Default The Store on Linux

I'm a long-time D&D player giving DDO a try. I love LotRO, and wondered what DDO is like. So far, I'm quite happy! (SSG has been just a wonderful steward of Tolkien IP, and I'm looking forward to a similar experience with D&D.)

One significant hurdle for me: The Store does not open, and DDO seems to really like the Store. I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 19.10; KDE latest), using latest vanilla WINE and winetricks, on a rocket-ship of a laptop (System76), and have the LotRO Store working (opens in the desktop browser, not the in-game browser). I'm hoping to use the DDO Store as well.

(Note: Graphics and game play are outstanding; better than on my previous Windows 10 box, or my work Mac box.)

Advice, suggestions?

Cheers

PS -- I've finished Korthos Island, and would like to try Keep on the Borderlands. It brings back old memories. However, I don't presently have Store access.
    Last edited by BINKLEY1; 12-23-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BINKLEY1 View Post
    I'm a long-time D&D player giving DDO a try. I love LotRO, and wondered what DDO is like. So far, I'm quite happy! (SSG has been just a wonderful steward of Tolkien IP, and I'm looking forward to a similar experience with D&D.)

One significant hurdle for me: The Store does not open, and DDO seems to really like the Store. I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 19.10; KDE latest), using latest vanilla WINE and winetricks, on a rocket-ship of a laptop (System76), and have the LotRO Store working (opens in the desktop browser, not the in-game browser). I'm hoping to use the DDO Store as well.

(Note: Graphics and game play are outstanding; better than on my previous Windows 10 box, or my work Mac box.)

Advice, suggestions?

Cheers
    You checked the box in options to open store external?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    You checked the box in options to open store external?
    Helpful suggestion, thank you. However ... I found the option in-game for external store, and enabled it. No dice. I get a blank window on the desktop (not a new page in the browser), and I lose any interaction with DDO.

Good luck. Doubt you'll get any real assistance, since the Mac (Wine) client is considered to be a red-headed step-child and doesn't get real support.
    Kobeyashi | Ying

Community Member

Hi

I am using steam on linux to play DDO. That problem sometimes occur to me too. In steam i have to delete cookies and web browser cache. Then i restart steam and it works.

It should be noted however that steam does not support multiple instances of DDO so you can't dual box.

If you can't get it to work you can always try following step 3 and 4 in this guide: http://mmlddo.com/DDOonMac.html

Let me know if deleting cookies and cache helps.

Merry Christmas
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

As the maintainer of DDO in the WineHQ AppDB, this concerns me too. Unfortunately, it's a dependency issue of some sort, likely with new versions of either GnuTLS or whatever wine's linking for its web backend (no, not gecko - that's something else). Fortunately, there are solutions:
    • Play using Steam and SteamPlay, as mentioned above. This works, but I don't particularly recommend it as it still, iiuc, requires you to use the external store currently. I also have other issues with Steam and MMOs that I won't get into here. Additionally, Steam's Proton is a fork of wine that includes several patches from wine-staging, some of which require very recent graphics drivers, and thus very recent versions of X, which can potentially cause problems with other parts of your system. This might be worth keeping an eye on, especially if you play other games that are more demanding than DDO, but probably isn't worth using just for DDO right now unless you're already on a rolling-release distro (or at least a distro that keeps up with X better than ubuntu does).
    • Use PlayOnLinux. I tested this a long time ago, and while it does work, I absolutely do not recommend using it, as it tends to pollute your wine environment (in addition to using bundled libraries, but that's more a necessity these days than an issue).
    • Use Lutris. This is what I use, and the in-game store works flawlessly with it. I don't know if Lutris has a specific installer for DDO (or LotRO, which may also work for DDO if it doesn't insist on downloading the installer itself), but just installing DDO as a Generic WINE geme works. This is, again, probably due to Lutris using bundled libraries, but what can you do when non-wine libraries change in ways that break compatibility in wine?

As for using the default wine....I think it's likely possible, but it does require that libraries are set up correctly, which is a royal PITA on most distros. Of all the distros to get it right, Gentoo is probably the best...but takes a long time to install on most systems. While it's been a long time since I last tried Funtoo (a fork of Gentoo that has what they call "Stage 4" installations which are pre-configured binary installations that include a full desktop environment), that may be your best bet for getting things working with the default wine, tho it may still take a while to rebuild wine itself even then depending on how much 32-bit support is included by default.

--ArekDorun

P.S. One final request: If you submit test data to the AppDB, please do me a favor and submit it to the "Current" version of DDO instead of making a new version. Years ago, I became DDO's Super Maintainer specifically because there were half a dozen different "versions" of DDO listed, and recent tests were spread out among several of them, making it hard to figure out what needed to be done to get DDO working.
    Last edited by ArekDorun; 12-29-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArekDorun View Post
    As the maintainer of DDO in the WineHQ AppDB, this concerns me too. [...][*]Use Lutris. This is what I use, and the in-game store works flawlessly with it. I don't know if Lutris has a specific installer for DDO (or LotRO, which may also work for DDO if it doesn't insist on downloading the installer itself), but just installing DDO as a Generic WINE geme works. [...]
    --ArekDorun
    Thank you for this insight. I will be switching to lutris when i have time.

Do you know if it supports multiple instances of DDO for dualboxing?
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Community Member

The issue is when running in d3dx11 in a 64 Bit virtual drive (prefix) which d3dx11 needs to run.

Just switch to d3dx9 and restart the client and the store should open in game. Tested in Windows 7 and 10 OS selected in the wine configuration.

So backward compatability with the 32 bit game engine is missing for the store feature i believe.

Running regular DDO client no steam.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    Do you know if it supports multiple instances of DDO for dualboxing?
    It works with the regular client.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    The issue is when running in d3dx11 in a 64 Bit virtual drive (prefix) which d3dx11 needs to run.

Just switch to d3dx9 and restart the client and the store should open in game. Tested in Windows 7 and 10 OS selected in the wine configuration.

So backward compatability with the 32 bit game engine is missing for the store feature i believe.

Running regular DDO client no steam.
    Thank you for this, it confirms that the issue I had in Solus was with Libraries...it's getting much harder to get 32-bit support in Linux these days without using a special virtual environment for it. Funtoo actually dropped native 32-bit support not too long ago and now requires you to build and use a separate 32-bit container for proprietary 32-bit software (read: older games), so that one's out. I'll look at Sabayon again next, as it's another gentoo fork that maintains a binary install component. Gentoo itself is also still an option, ofc.

As for whether Lutris supports multiboxing...Lutris is just a launcher - it should be able to launch multiple instances of DDO easily provided you set the option in the DDO launcher to allow it.

--ArekDorun

Community Member

Youre very welcome

DDO has run flawlessly in Linux Wine 4.9 Staging. OS Peppermint 10 with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050.

Community Member

I run DDO through Steam, Proton version 3.16-9. The Store doesn't work in game but if you launch DDO and click 'Account Upgrades' before loading a character into the world, i.e as your first action the store loads fine and you can buy stuff, update your sub etc.

Community Member

As for using the default wine....I think it's likely possible, but it does require that libraries are set up correctly, which is a royal PITA on most distros. Of all the distros to get it right, Gentoo is probably the best...but takes a long time to install on most systems.
    /me waves

Gentoo's all stage3 now for installs, so it's not quiiiite as long, but I probably still wouldn't recommend it for a first-timer. But yeah, one anecdotal point for vanilla wine running things properly here. Just posts the token link (and redirect) to the default system browser.

Community Member

Thank you for this, it confirms that the issue I had in Solus was with Libraries...it's getting much harder to get 32-bit support in Linux these days without using a special virtual environment for it. Funtoo actually dropped native 32-bit support not too long ago and now requires you to build and use a separate 32-bit container for proprietary 32-bit software (read: older games), so that one's out. I'll look at Sabayon again next, as it's another gentoo fork that maintains a binary install component. Gentoo itself is also still an option, ofc.

As for whether Lutris supports multiboxing...Lutris is just a launcher - it should be able to launch multiple instances of DDO easily provided you set the option in the DDO launcher to allow it.

--ArekDorun

On a 64 bit Linux OS the i386 architecture is necessary for any kind of consistent backward compatibility so make sure you have that.

DDO runs near perfectly with my current setup under d3dx9 with absolutely nothing added to wine other than the videocard memory size setting. I prefer the Lighting/Shadows better in d3dx9.

That means you can drop a copy of the game folder in the appropriate folder and it will run.
    Last edited by Coffey; 12-31-2019 at 09:55 PM.