Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

They didn't say it worked differently, they said it doesn't exist , which it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    They didn't say it worked differently, they said it doesn't exist , which it does.
    SSG used a name from D&D and then threw in a totally different implementation. The idea of ranged or thrown attack in a line does exist in several implementations, so other than the strange choice of name, improved precise shot certainly is within what one might expect from a D&D ranged ability. It is also fun in an MMO, because it allows the user to do more than auto-target, creating a more interesting play experience.

Melee have been asking for this type of interesting play experience for some time now, as opposed to the reaper melee design of attacking non moving mobs. Getting rid of IPS is not a good answer, but making melee interesting and rewarding is. Devs have been asked to discuss this for 3 years, but have had no interest.

That leaves us with DPS comparisons and asking for removal of interesting abilities, instead of creating great play experiences.

Where are the devs? When will they value interesting play instead of picking the latest winner and loser? Will they ever come up with metrics for what a ranged character should do vs a melee vs a caster, and most importantly weigh how they interact to make great play experiences? It's fairly obvious this has either never happened, or that SSG's design goals are transient and morph each and every update - making their goals pointless from a game design perspective.

I'll encourage them to do better. I know they can if they decide to value play experience.
    Last edited by nokowi; 12-15-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    - inactive player -

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubledge View Post
    Preface: I love IPS, but even I am aware of just how much of a night and day change it is between precise shot, and the current iteration of IPS.

Here's the thing... It's at the level that IPS becomes unlocked that ranged outclasses melee in basically every way.

As much as I'd hate to say it, IPS might be a balance problem. The mere ability to DPS down groups of mobs makes ranged much better at both safe, AND group DPS.

Does anyone have a counterargument? Please have a counterargument.

Thank you.
    Consider the new spawns have 7-8 mobs each. Without ips would be painful and not fun.
    Remove it and u will remove ranged players.

I think doubleshot is op.
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    KVP Korthos Village People

Removing an interesting and fun ability like IPS would be the worst way of altering the current meta.

The problem is deeper than inquisitive though. Even before inq came out fusilade gxbow mechanics were taking over and their DPS is pretty comparable to inq. Inq mostly made that kind of ranged DPS more accessible to people that don't want to bother with a fine tuned multiclass build.

The Shiradi update is at least as much of a problem as inq also. Nerve venom + high RoA is probably too strong. Casters and melee have to make huge investments into DCs to get that kind of CC in engame.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    Consider the new spawns have 7-8 mobs each. Without ips would be painful and not fun.
    Remove it and u will remove ranged players.

I think doubleshot is op.
    Your group grabs one each, leaving you with only one anyway? :-)

Assume you were an end-game melee, what were you supposed to do there anyway? Cleaves are almost useless at end-game due to no double-strike, no twf, and THF is probably worse DPS than Inq-Shiradi to begin with.

I don't advocate removing IPS, but ranged have to be balanced against melee somehow. The best approach is probably to do a bit of buffing of melee and a bit of nerfing of the dominating ranged classes, but whatever you do, don't ruin IPS completely.
    Last edited by LurkingVeteran; 12-16-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Default Its not the fault of Ranged nor Caster abilites

Original warrior classes Fighter and Barbarian lack a viable set for now.

The inbalance issue truly comes from no innate ability to endure damage; scaling with class/character level for melees. By means of prr/mrr, a real chunk of hp;most probably double the base, 1-2 point of elemental resist each lvl and the similar. So more than healing amplification at hand, that is what Fighter and Barbarian needs. More endurance during the fights without any healing. At solo gaming experience this would still needs a good amount of plat spent at the potions to heal but this time more playable.

This would also support healing between fights and bit by bit healing during skirmishes and a real reason to invite healing and buffing classes to the team.

Also movement speed for every level and dodge/reflex ability scaling aswell as chance to avoid nasty spell effects such as hold, fear, level drain, weakness, with %1-2 for each level scaling with warrior level would be nice. So warriors could dash a head of the team, bodyguard the ranged and caster and support characters without hesitating.

As fighting styles it would be much better if THF and SWF were simply combined. SWF turned compatible with shield feats. THF gets speed of SWF and 2x ablity score or double base damage +1 critical threat and critical chance at third tier.

THF+ Shield might need another touch, such as giving extra shield bash chance that also applies glancing blows with shield and weapons. Daxe and Bsword would count as Big THF weapons if offhand is empty, as if holding them with two hands. So Exotic weapon feat would also worth its weight.

TWF really doesnt need any change. May be +%10 to offhand at tier 3. Tempest is the best melee enhancement tree right now. Just add some Stalward top of that. Kensei melee power is nice but the tree lacks the versitality of weapon types aswell as being glass pistol (nowhere a cannon such as casters nor crossbow builds if its not a Cbowsei)

Kensei and Stalward combined would make a much better tree (merge) Option would be another tree would add more speed (Vanguard) when the other one would add more endurance but base would be mix of Kensei/Stalward. Vanguard special attacks would be new special attacks for Fighter. Would be similar for Barbarian as the new distribution between barb trees.

So you getting IPS does not really change much if Fighter and Barbarian dont get any real revamp. It is not ranged or caster characters' fault, to use their given powers. Additionally Ranged attack speed and to hit chance scales impossibly well compared to what mele gets Staying further does not decrease to hit rate. Moving also doesnt apply any worthy penalty to hit nor damage. Casters are still at the top if we do not count Inquisitve tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvfcrmOCWxE
    Last edited by Kutalp; 12-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vgrCICAf0
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LurkingVeteran View Post
    Assume you were an end-game melee, what were you supposed to do there anyway? Cleaves are almost useless at end-game due to no double-strike, no twf, and THF is probably worse DPS than Inq-Shiradi to begin with.

I don't advocate removing IPS, but ranged have to be balanced against melee somehow. The best approach is probably to do a bit of buffing of melee and a bit of nerfing of the dominating ranged classes, but whatever you do, don't ruin IPS completely.
    Probably Tempest? That way you can get TWF's solid DPS applied to four enemies at once. Was planning on doing my first Ranger life as one, but now I'm hearing rumors of upcoming nerfs so idk.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12