Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Svartelric View Post
    Why would anyone in their right mind make a DDO2? And why would anyone play it? SSG invested a lot in the current game, the player base is too tied to this version, and it looks like nothing could ever make DDO2 a viable option, let alone a successful one.
    Got a business degree.
    Honesty time - if some wealthy nut drop enough cash on the table to have you make a game
    they wanted and it was in the companies 'knowledge base', they will do it.

Money talks, huge piles of cash scream.

You can say ... you don't know us.....I know business, if you in business...enough said.
    But the likelihood of some 9 figure income type wanting a DDO2 bad enough to foot the bill is very low.

but **** happens (rarely)

happy holidays
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    Got a business degree.
    Honesty time - if some wealthy nut drop enough cash on the table to have you make a game

You can say ... you don't know us.....I know business, if you in business...enough said.
    But the likelihood of some 9 figure income type wanting a DDO2 bad enough to foot the bill is very low.

happy holidays
    Interesting thought, I wonder how much it would actually cost to write a new engine....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkastik View Post
    Interesting thought, I wonder how much it would actually cost to write a new engine....
    A lot.

There is a reason a lot of indie studios use 3rd party engines like Unity, Unreal, etc.

You are talking several years of work by an experienced team to do it right. That alone isn't cheap.

Community Member

Got a business degree.

happy holidays
    Ddo engine is unique. It consider 3d collision as no other game actually does.
    Old games did a similar thing (ultima 9 for example), this type of engine is heavier than others

After ddo wow, neverwinter and others seems like u are playing a shotemup.

All this saying... It is not easy compiling anew engine for ddo2.

I dont need a ddo2. Only a ddo1 without seriuos lag issues and seriuos bugs.
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    KVP Korthos Village People

Thumbs up

I think there will always be a niche for classic dnd and thats why ddo2 should be a reality. But dont think it will be any time soon.

But just imagine this - a world without ddo. Sooner or later, there will need to be a ddo2.

Everfull Flagon w/ my Eternal Mug of Mead

https://mmos.com/editorials/most-exp...ever-developed

I have been wanting DDO V 2.0 for a LONG time.

When WB Entertainment announced it was suspending ops on DDO I thought for sure this game was gone. In steps Daybreak Games and a newly formed SSG. We were saved. but at what cost? Cost as in future development and keeping the kobold driven servers running.

DBG & SSG have done an amazing job of keeping the best combat & character customization game alive and moving forward. I don't agree with some of the marketing strategies SSG has implemented, but that's ok, They are doing everything they can to keep the lights on. (they failed to call me and ask what I think of their plans and strategies )

My self imposed exile is for reasons that have watered down this game, and made certain aspects laughable. That exile is shared with a majority of the player base from 3 to 4 years ago.

Now to the point of moving forward......

DBG & SSG don't have deep enough pockets to blow up DDO and launch DDO V 2.0. Fact. They might find enough assets w/ a form of a kick-starter to put the game on an a different code engine, but again, that would take a boat-load of cash.

SO here we are. "The rag-tag fleet" (battlestar Galactica) is keeping this game rolling. And that is good enough for me.

*Disclaimer: I will continue to whine and complain about things, I'm a D&D'er. Like E. Gary Gygax said, "D&D'ers are the smartest bunch of whiners you'll ever meet" And that pertains to most of us here.

I'm 100% behind SSG no matter how much I dislike some choices they make. We all should be grateful for them continuing to be devoted to DDO I guess, no matter how much we opine away here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    If you die in a trap, it sort of is your fault. Unless it's my fault, then IT IS my fault

Quote Originally Posted by Svartelric View Post
    Why would anyone in their right mind make a DDO2? And why would anyone play it? SSG invested a lot in the current game, the player base is too tied to this version, and it looks like nothing could ever make DDO2 a viable option, let alone a succesfull one.
    The D&D IP is on the rise again. A game could be made to accurately play much closer to D&D rules than anything that currently exists, and be marketed to that same audience which has a heavy overlap in this game, as well as other MMOs.

A new LOTR game is being made, and that IP is not currently on the rise similarly to how D&D is, though it does have quite a following of its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Got a business degree.

happy holidays
    Happened with EQ.

No reason it couldnt happen with a D&D IP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

They have worked miracles with this ancient engine TBH. Some of the locations look pretty damn good with a bit of clever level design.

I'd be happy if they just went - "what the hell, lets add ray-tracing for a laugh" like Minecraft seems to have done. I'd love to see a ray traced DDO. As the engine is old, it would likely run fine on VR headset as well.

Other ways to possibly give us DDO Enhanced:

4k support with UI scaling, update some of the 2006 graphics such as elven faces with the same artist who did wood elves, Aasimar etc. Spruce up the monotone icons from 2006 such as skills, bring back user created UI mod support, replace the pretty bad 2D sprites that are supposed to be 'birds' with actual polygon birds, Sheath weapons (as in the character creation screen), update older named items, maybe create some new models and textures to go with that. Get a good marketing director.

If I won the lottery I'd finance all this

Community Member

NO NO NO. It is not DDO2. It is called Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Online.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydeby View Post
    NO NO NO. It is not DDO2. It is called Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    this is excellent

the only way I see it working is if they found a way to merge progress from this DDO to the next one so they could just replace this. We all know there is a demand for server merge, I would like to see an improvement in grafix and some kind of continuity to the game. Right now you can do every quests and if you pay attention to the stories doing some quests should make you enemies of other quest givers. Id like to see that added in somehow.
    My Main is a 16thlife arti- Friertuck

AKA LitleJohn 2nd life wiz, Starsfan 2nd life Barbarian and Thrasiuus Epic Pally 1st life and a few iconics.

I think the marketing of ddo or ddo2 should remind the audience that d n d is the place where ot all began - that everything else, all the mmos now are all just based off dnd. So why not play the original? Everyone whos an rpg fan owes it to themselves to try ddo or dnd.

That being said, i think d n d video games even if using old rules still has a future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12