Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good morning ddo. Can haz ddo2 ?

Of cows and the moon

Remember, if you milk the cow to death,
    Without it giving birth,
    You have lost not one,
    But two cows

And they're worth more than two coppers

As for the moon
    Seems dnd is more popular than ever?
    Well from the occult to the mainstream
    Remember all those horror movies of player kids
    Getting sucked into alternate bad places
    Ya, devil worship
    But it's all good now
    Enlightenment comes in many forms

So shoot for the moon
    If ddo2, I'll spot again

Blessings

Ps
    I'll know this'll close
    But I do wish you all the best
    U33 was priceless
    Retired
    Of
    Sarlona

Default No to any DDO2

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    Of cows and the moon

Remember, if you milk the cow to death,
    Without it giving birth,
    You have lost not one,
    But two cows

And they're worth more than two coppers

As for the moon
    Seems dnd is more popular than ever?
    Well from the occult to the mainstream
    Remember all those horror movies of player kids
    Getting sucked into alternate bad places
    Ya, devil worship
    But it's all good now
    Enlightenment comes in many forms

So shoot for the moon
    If ddo2, I'll spot again

Blessings

Ps
    I'll know this'll close
    But I do wish you all the best
    U33 was priceless
    There is nothing wrong with DDO and I would not ever support a DDO2.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

i feel like there's a middle ground between these two posts

Far to late for that, the majority off core ddo players has dwindled to weekly "merge the server thread".

No company in their right mind should put money into a ddo2, not with comming anti gambling laws and anti p2w laws that are popping up everywhere.

And i would be glad if no ddo2 happenend, seeing what if was and what it has becomme, just let ddo die and dissapear
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Drow Machine Gunner Vasandralov's Avatar

Default I'm Down

There's a lot of gameplay ideas and lessons that could feed into a modern engine for a new D&D game, and I'd likely jump into that too. None of the new games on the horizon are really what I'm looking for, and I've also just mostly grown away from this one. I'm in your boat though, its def now more about a new game than anything pertaining to this one. Too many sailed ships.

I was one of the weirdos that really liked EQ2 and moved from EQ1 back in the day though. I don't have whatever social disorder it is to feel vehement unquestioning loyalty to a concept or state of being. If I want a chip ahoy, I'll have a chip ahoy. If I want something that has a look/feel/gameplay that scratches an itch, I'll jump on it.

There's been a lot of players gone I miss, it would be great to screw around with them again, and I think that's really the only way to meet that end.

It’s called Neverwinter.

However many find Neverwinter kind of boring and vanilla including me which is why I am here.

Also , nobody is going to make a 3.5 based MMO remotely like DDO now, whereas DDO is actually pretty good and fulfills that niche already.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    It’s called Neverwinter.

However many find Neverwinter kind of boring and vanilla including me which is why I am here.

Also , nobody is going to make a 3.5 based MMO remotely like DDO now, whereas DDO is actually pretty good and fulfills that niche already.
    I agree I looked at Neverwinter and after 5 mins deleted it from my computer..

Neverwinter looks great...and that is the only thing I like about it.
    The rest sucks.

Every class is basically identical
    Everyone in a certain class wears exactly the same thing
    no REAL choices in character development
    Grindfest always
    etc.

no, if I was to play DDO2 it would need to still be DDO, just better

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    Just dreaming: DDO : A Realm Reborn Except ONLY the technical aspect - building the engine back up from the ground since it's so buggy and laggy and doesn't support sufficient storage options, among other issues.. (no major gameplay changes, because FFXIV A Realm Reborn turned FFXIV in a Wow clone, albeit a very good one)

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    Neverwinter looks great...and that is the only thing I like about it.
    The rest sucks.

no, if I was to play DDO2 it would need to still be DDO, just better
    Agree, Neverwinter sucks, it's basically a D&D WoW clone except with mouse aim combat (personally I hate that) and also worse in pretty much all regards: even more quest and reputation grinding, far worse business model ....

Sadly WoW clones are super popular compared to lobby style MMOs like DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    Path of Exile did this. PoE2 is the same game as PoE just on a new game engine, a whole second story to go through and a bunch if updates.

Thing about ddo is that its on its own custom built engine with more moving parts spiderwebbed into other moving parts so to do something similar you would have to either rebuild the game entirely on unreal engine/unity or build a bridge to have unreal/unity to be a base with the custom ddo engine on top and everything else on top of that, however I imagine the lag induced because of it would be insane. At least as far as I understand it. Though I may be wrong entirely, ddo does work in weird ways an my knowledge on game engines is really limited.

If anyone has a better understanding on the ddo engine or game engines in general additional insight would be appreciated.

Community Member

Indeed... game engine needs a rework. DDO is basically the best MMO with the worst engine.

The only other major MMO with a very weak engine that I know of is SWTOR (hero engine) but they made it work pretty well by now.

Founder, Alpha, Omega and Other Secret Things AnubisPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    It’s called Neverwinter.

THIS and a ham sandwich, platinum, tic tacs and a bucket of wings! My feelings exactly!
    The Old Timers Guild
    www.oldtimersguild.com
    >> Open to the Public! <<
    Founder #2231
    PROUD MEMBER OF MOURNLANDS

Community Member

You think you do but you don't.

Sorry couldn't resist.

In all honesty though, the whole "I want DDO2" idea makes me think of a quote,

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

The idea even if a studio would go for it would not be a product most of us would like.

Modern studios don't make complicated games like this anymore. All that would happen is another Neverwinter would be written where you can play any build as long you play the developers build.

Quote Originally Posted by apocaladle View Post
    Path of Exile did this. PoE2 is the same game as PoE just on a new game engine, a whole second story to go through and a bunch if updates.

Thing about ddo is that its on its own custom built engine with more moving parts spiderwebbed into other moving parts so to do something similar you would have to either rebuild the game entirely on unreal engine/unity or build a bridge to have unreal/unity to be a base with the custom ddo engine on top and everything else on top of that, however I imagine the lag induced because of it would be insane. At least as far as I understand it. Though I may be wrong entirely, ddo does work in weird ways an my knowledge on game engines is really limited.

If anyone has a better understanding on the ddo engine or game engines in general additional insight would be appreciated.
    It is POSSIBLE to move a game to a new back end/engine, it's just a lot of work and may entail some really unexpected changes. Wasteland 2 did this. You will wind up basically re-building all the moving parts of the game from scratch, and DDO has a LOT of moving parts.

Probably the hardest part is that your current staff very likely doesn't have EXPERIENCE with the new engine. You can hire people, but it entails time for them to come up to speed.

Basically, it costs money. A lot of money. It'd only be worth it if you're talking a DRAMATIC improvement in multiple areas of the game.

If I win the lottery, imma do this. And raytracing. DDO in new engine with raytracing.

Yeah.

any trust fund kids out there? if so, offer standing stone 10 mil or so seed money
    and they might start talking about a DDO2

might be more than 10 mil, not sure the cost to make a commercial MMO these days
    Standing stone would have a better $ figure to make a new MMO ... bet it is not cheap.

Why would anyone in their right mind make a DDO2? And why would anyone play it? SSG invested a lot in the current game, the player base is too tied to this version, and it looks like nothing could ever make DDO2 a viable option, let alone a succesfull one.

DDO2 is a great idea and way to start the game over. Well played!!

I guess I'm foolish enough to imagine that DDO source code is licensed as "open source" by Standing Stone & the user community merge it with Guild Wars v1 graphics... but I'm a dreamer.

We will have 64-bit client soon [confirmed], so hopefully DDO can use more than 4GB of ram for extra/better resources rather than swapping it every quest load.

I'd rather fund a new DDO client that has even better Hi-res textures, hi-poly models, DX 11 & DX 12 goodies, more&better animations, raytracing etc. This game may look way better without even touching net code.

Or at least be opened for front-end mods and let community do the job.
    Polska gildia DDO / Polish guild

Magia i Miecz (200), Argonnessen
    Zapraszamy!

Ravenloft already proved this game can look as good as anything given enough art/developer resources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast