Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Bows

Community Member

Default Good Bows

I was looking around for a list of good bows but i cant find anything.

So what is a good bow for the late levels

specifically level 28 and up.

Community Member

It's important to specify longbow, light/heavy crossbow, repeater, or great crossbow.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Long_Bows lets you see enhanced crit profiles, where to get them, and sort by min levels if you're asking about longbows.

Community Member

longbow

Endgame Longbows have been on a steady decline.

I would suggest looking into Great Xbow, in Mechanic the saddest GXB becomes 3W[2d8+x] 15-20 x 4 @ x2 Vorpal range.

Inquisitive rate of fire is also fairly overwhelming if you prefer DPS vs fishing for large crits.

Community Member

Well my Elf Ranger needs a longbow.

I use the Sapphire Sting from TOEE as well as the Easy to get Ravenloft Barovian, add sentience to either. Also the Thunderforged if you can get it to tier 2 or 3 is pretty good. Then there is the legendary shroud crafted ones. The one from caught in the web is still pretty good. And the 2 from LOD chain are ok once you get them epiced with a scroll, shard and seal. Those are the ones I have collected over the years for my Ranger, probably a few more out there as well.
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Folker View Post
    Well my Elf Ranger needs a longbow.
    The bow from "Just business" is perfect
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    KVP Korthos Village People

Community Member

^^^^This.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Twisted_Willow

Easy to get and *very* nice. I slot it with the level drain augment from Night Revels.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by edgarallanpoe View Post
    ^^^^This.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Twisted_Willow

Easy to get and *very* nice. I slot it with the level drain augment from Night Revels.
    Does level drain work on epic/reaper content?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkoorex View Post
    Does level drain work on epic/reaper content?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Endgame Longbows have been on a steady decline.

I would suggest looking into Great Xbow, in Mechanic the saddest GXB becomes 3W[2d8+x] 15-20 x 4 @ x2 Vorpal range.
    There are a lot of problems with this post but will address three items. But your statement is very FALSE.

1) It clearly displays your bias toward crossbows' and you are certainly free to like what you want for your character.
    2) The OP asked a question about longbows not crossbows.
    2) In fact Longbows across multiple levels to include endgame have in fact been improving and is why I have decided to give my ranger a new look. Congrats to SSG on this.
    Last edited by shores11; 12-09-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Can't go wrong with a Chaosbow if longbows are your thing. Highest ranged alacrity in the game so far, and Elasticity for boosted crits, means a lot of damage. Vulnerability increases everyone's DPS, and the Chaosbow can inflict it too.

I use one of those on each of my bowhealers, along with a Void for the clicky (that arrow is awesome) and for use in certain content that's heavy with fire creatures (so like half of Sharn.)
    Last edited by TDarkchylde; 12-09-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    .: Sarlona - High Lords of Malkier : Reaper Life 1, 2 , and 3 alumnus : My Twitch : Trans and Proud : (she/they please) :.
    .: Inamorata (Heroic x2/Epic Completionist) / Signalmixer (Vorpal Queen) / Darkchylde-1 (Fiend Voodulock) / Tenpercenter (Bowhealer 2020) / Groundloop : Plus so many others! :.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    There are a lot of problems with this post but will address three items. But your statement is very FALSE.

1) It clearly displays your bias toward crossbows' and you are certainly free to like what you want for your character.
    2) In fact Longbows across multiple levels to include endgame have in fact been improving and is why I have decided to give my ranger a new look. Congrats to SSG on this.
    Exactly. I am currently running an AA/DWS wis based bow user with just enough points in Falconry to get wis to hit and damage. It's excellent. I can run reaper 5 with practically no fail para arrows and I am right in the middle of the pack in the kill count. It's an extremely solid build and I'm not even sporting top tier gear. I rarely raid so I don't have any raid gear or weapons. Running in Shiradi I am consistently seeing crits in the 40k range.

Oh and the Echoes of the Ancestors in the Bard destiny has a *stacking* 10% alacrity for bows.
    Last edited by edgarallanpoe; 12-09-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Oh and the Echoes of the Ancestors in the Bard destiny has a *stacking* 10% alacrity for bows.
    It always supposed to have that, except it wasnt quite obvious until we learned that there is more than one alacrity in the background, i am still not there to test it, maybe some day. I believe the things that I working myself.

When I compare things i rarely care about absolutes, i only care for realative values, relative to other ranged combat bows pretty much had been nerfed by proxy constantly. Few updates added stuff that makes a few specific builds okayish, i will agree there, but still a large newbie trap compared to pretty much any half decent xbow build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    It always supposed to have that, except it wasnt quite obvious until we learned that there is more than one alacrity in the background, i am still not there to test it, maybe some day. I believe the things that I working myself.

When I compare things i rarely care about absolutes, i only care for realative values, relative to other ranged combat bows pretty much had been nerfed by proxy constantly. Few updates added stuff that makes a few specific builds okayish, i will agree there, but still a large newbie trap compared to pretty much any half decent xbow build.
    I have an 18/2 mechanic/arti split with Volley. Is it better DPS? Sure. But the combination of decent DPS and CC from the longbow build is a lot more fun instead of just holding the attack button down and pew pewing. I can even heal in a pinch which is valuable in higher level reapers as a supplemental support toon. I ran several reaper 5 quests on Sunday and had zero problems. Although I did die in the Arena in the newer Sharn quests...but that was because I got lazy, played poorly, and grabbed a bit too much aggro from a champion ogre.

Exactly. I am currently running an AA/DWS wis based bow user with just enough points in Falconry to get wis to hit and damage. It's excellent. I can run reaper 5 with practically no fail para arrows and I am right in the middle of the pack in the kill count. It's an extremely solid build and I'm not even sporting top tier gear. I rarely raid so I don't have any raid gear or weapons. Running in Shiradi I am consistently seeing crits in the 40k range.

I rolled up a brand new ranger who is now on his first TR, so I have a ways to go. But I intend for him to be an Arcane Archer with some splashing of Falconry and Deepwood Stalker (which didn't it used to be called Deepwood Sniper?). I prefer the dexterity build for my ranger do to benefits I get from spell saves, trap saves, etc.. I still start off with a wisdom of 14 which will achieve high 20's to low 30's by end game.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Community Member

I rolled up a brand new ranger who is now on his first TR, so I have a ways to go. But I intend for him to be an Arcane Archer with some splashing of Falconry and Deepwood Stalker (which didn't it used to be called Deepwood Sniper?). I prefer the dexterity build for my ranger do to benefits I get from spell saves, trap saves, etc.. I still start off with a wisdom of 14 which will achieve high 20's to low 30's by end game.
    If you're going AA don't go dex, go wis because all of the enhancements in there are wis based. If you go DWS you can go dex but you'll lose the CC abilities while gaining some DPS. Either way is a solid build. But enhancement points are slim. You'll need to go high enough in one or two of the trees to get the crit multiplier and crit range enhancements...they are a must. FWIW I tried to go with the Falconry tree and wound up dumping it in favor of the AA/DWS/Falconry split. I only have enough points in falconry to get the wis to hit and damage...I didn't have enough points for the clickie. I put 41 into AA and the rest into DWS. It's a really good build.

So....I looked on the Wiki to make sure I was right and I am. The only way to get the +1 multiplier AND the +1 range is by spending at least 31 pts in AA and 31 in DWS. I don't see any of the that in Falconry. So if you was max DPS from a bow build you'll need to spend at least 72pts between AA and DWS. Choose which one you'll take to 41 and go from there. Both are viable.
    Last edited by edgarallanpoe; 12-11-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Good Bows? LOL. GOOD BOWS???

I'm weak...

Community Member

^^^^^ignore this nonsense. The idea that a build has to be the meta in order to be viable/fun is complete and utter rubbish.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

It's good that the person who suggested looking at Crossbows made that post because it recognizes the bias that SSG has toward crossbows. Recognizing that crossbows perform better than longbows doesn't mean that the commenter is biased. It means that they can recognize objective facts.

That doesn't mean longbows are unplayable. But it does mean that Crossbows are worth looking at because you don't necessarily need to use a longbow even if you're playing an Elf Ranger 20.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast