Default Dual Crossbow Builds

I'm just back from an extended hiatus and quickly noticed a lot of folks running a dual crossbow build. I would love to see some build instructions for the better dual-crossbow wielding builds.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkiesAtNight View Post
    I'm just back from an extended hiatus and quickly noticed a lot of folks running a dual crossbow build. I would love to see some build instructions for the better dual-crossbow wielding builds.
    One in my signature that works just fine. There are probably better ones out there, but this one works great for accelerating heroic power on the build.
    Neurik of Argo.
    8 Ranger 8 Rogue 4 Arti Inquisitor Heroic TR build--> https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...eroic-TR-build

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The dual-crossbow style is exclusive to the Inquisitive enhancement tree which is available from the DDO Store or bundled with Sharn on the Market. Because it's an universal enhancement tree, you can combine it with any class / tree, though obviously some will boost DPS more than others. Rogue and Artificer are probably the most common.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisp...ancement-Trees

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...e-End-Game-DPS
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...eroic-TR-build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...st-feels-right
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Precision
    point blqnk shot
    precise shot
    rapid reload
    improve crit pew pew
    rapid shot
    Improved Precise Shot (think about your BAB if you want this by 12)

moar sneak attack dice are good. More utility spells are good. Ranger and artificer give you bonus feats.

ranger 6 gives REALLY good enhancement for a shot every 6 seconds.

everything else is flexible.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

I know there's no objective answer to this, but is combat Combat Archery hugely important for these builds? It's a bit out of reach for any non-dex build for someone like me who isn't sitting pretty with a +7 dex tome. Hell, even with my current +3 I'm still likely going to toss a single level up into dex to hit 19 for imp. precise shot on a standard int-based Inq build.

Quote Originally Posted by Anoregon View Post
    I know there's no objective answer to this, but is combat Combat Archery hugely important for these builds? It's a bit out of reach for any non-dex build for someone like me who isn't sitting pretty with a +7 dex tome. Hell, even with my current +3 I'm still likely going to toss a single level up into dex to hit 19 for imp. precise shot on a standard int-based Inq build.
    I dumped dex on a build recently that I took 11 Ranger levels, 11 Ranger gets free IPS regardless of your dex so you might want to consider 11 Ranger in your own build with +3 tomes. I completely forgot about the dex requirement for combat archery and was not able to take it until I epic reincarnated and added enough starting dex to hit the breakpoint. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in my ability to function with the build but I also did not pay that close of attention to the damage difference with and without combat archery. I would tell you it is definitely nice but not a requirement.
    Neurik of Argo.
    8 Ranger 8 Rogue 4 Arti Inquisitor Heroic TR build--> https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...eroic-TR-build

Eldritch Knights make excellent Inquisitives. I made an Iconic EK Inquisitive and waltzed my way through R1. Don't know how effective such a build would be in high skull content, since I only go as far up as r3, but it certainly more than sufficed for R1.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drecas View Post
    Eldritch Knights make excellent Inquisitives. I made an Iconic EK Inquisitive and waltzed my way through R1. Don't know how effective such a build would be in high skull content, since I only go as far up as r3, but it certainly more than sufficed for R1.
    Seconded, it's a beastly setup. This is my first time ever running inquisitive, first time playing ranged in 2 years, and I highly recommend it. There's enough versatility and an active enough playstyle to keep a diehard melee player like me entertained

I'm currently at 17 on a 18/2 Wizard/Arti inquisitive that started at level 1. Except for Ratcatcher and the Wallwatch set I don't have particularly good gear, but I'm able to solo anything on R1, older content on R2 / R3, and still top kill counts in some R4 quests (depending on the group). PM shrouds provide a nice trickle of healing (~15 per tick in R1/R2), Otto's and Prismatic Spray make CC trivial in late heroics

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    I dumped dex on a build recently that I took 11 Ranger levels, 11 Ranger gets free IPS regardless of your dex so you might want to consider 11 Ranger in your own build with +3 tomes. I completely forgot about the dex requirement for combat archery and was not able to take it until I epic reincarnated and added enough starting dex to hit the breakpoint. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in my ability to function with the build but I also did not pay that close of attention to the damage difference with and without combat archery. I would tell you it is definitely nice but not a requirement.
    That sounds fair, thanks. Given that I'm not like a super serious DDO gamer and don't do high-skull reapers I try not to worry too much about min-max kind of stuff, but I also want to make sure I'm not doing anything that would like make a noticeable negative impact like skipping a necessary feat.

Community Member

Believe it or not I am doing a major analysis of different inquisitive builds. Not sure i will ever publish it but as a rule of thumb: Spend 41 ap in inquisitive and 12 in harper to get int to damage - if you take core 3 in mechanic you can settle for 8 ap - that's a total of 53 ap, which leaves only 27. Not taking core 5 and six in inquisitive makes you loose a lot of dps.

The builds that seems to do most dps is a artificer 2, wizard 18 using the 27 ap to get ek imbues - others have pointed out this is a good build too.

The other one - the on i am currently level 7 on -, is a ranger 6, bard 11, rogue 3. Their dps is very close endgame wise.

The wizard can use heavy crossbows while the bard is limited to light. I made him a gnome to try and get 6 more damage. You have to remember to use the clickies and ratcatcher is sort of a must on this build.

The wizard don't get trap skills and get improved precise shot at level 21, so it's a late bloomer. EDIT: He do get trap skills. Got it messed up with another build.

Let me know if you are interested in a complete build.

DPS wise if my calculations are correct they should be on the good side of 4500 dps.
    Last edited by Ultinoob; 12-09-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    Believe it or not I am doing a major analysis of different inquisitive builds. Not sure i will ever publish it but as a rule of thumb: Spend 41 ap in inquisitive and 12 in harper to get int to damage - if you take core 3 in mechanic you can settle for 8 ap - that's a total of 53 ap, which leaves only 27. Not taking core 5 and six in inquisitive makes you loose a lot of dps.

The builds that seems to do most dps is a artificer 2, wizard 18 using the 27 ap to get ek imbues - others have pointed out this is a good build too.

The other one - the on i am currently level 7 on -, is a ranger 6, bard 11, rogue 3. Their dps is very close endgame wise.

The wizard can use heavy crossbows while the bard is limited to light. I made him a gnome to try and get 6 more damage. You have to remember to use the clickies and ratcatcher is sort of a must on this build.

The wizard don't get trap skills and get improved precise shot at level 21, so it's a late bloomer. EDIT: He do get trap skills. Got it messed up with another build.

Let me know if you are interested in a complete build.

DPS wise if my calculations are correct they should be on the good side of 4500 dps.

I do have a related question - if someone is looking to get through a good chunk of heroic TR's mostly using inq builds (I have a char I'd like to finally get completionist on), is there a sort of standard split that works for any class? Ex, X levels of TR class/8 ranger/2 arti etc.

I do have a related question - if someone is looking to get through a good chunk of heroic TR's mostly using inq builds (I have a char I'd like to finally get completionist on), is there a sort of standard split that works for any class? Ex, X levels of TR class/8 ranger/2 arti etc.
    Here is a template you can use for essentially any primary class leveling as inquisitor. The concept was based on using an Iconic but it will work with any primary class as long as you do not mind leveling it up from 1 it should work just fine with any class you want a past life in.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-primary-class
    Neurik of Argo.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    Here is a template you can use for essentially any primary class leveling as inquisitor.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-primary-class
    Ah perfect, thanks!

Community Member

Well… First a disclaimer. I do math pretty well, but I am probably not that good at the game to be honest. With that out of the way let me try and help.

Short version:
    I’d go for 6 ranger.

Long version:
    If only doing heroics for TR ratcatcher is a must. Get two of them and slot one with good augment and one with ghost touch. Use ghost touch until you get it permament and use good against devils.
    Again if you are only doing heroics you are probably not even going to play on level 19 and 20, which means you are not taking core 5 and 6 in inquisitive loosing 20 ranged power, which means the bonus for law damage and rune arms, which scales 200% with ranged power is not that big a gain.
    Having 10-12 levels to play with makes it tight and it comes down to your wanted playstyle. I for one does not really like sneak die. I solo a lot so they often don’t proc. This means i look more at consistent damage.
    Looking at inquisitive you have to use 22 ap to enable swashbuckling. Thats level 22/4=5.5 and 12 more for harper thats 8.5 so about the time you can use ratcatcher you’d be able to swashbuckle.
    Now why is this important? Well 6 levels of bard gets you a lot. You get 8 damage +1 from songs. You also get blow by blow ranged. Pair this with ranger deepwood for sniper shot, aimed shot and maybe killer… well we are allready way to high in ap….
    Hmm. I think 6 ranger and 3 artificer is a good idea.
    12 in harper, 4 in inq, 13 in deepwood, 11 in battle engineer. 40 total. 40/4=10. So at level 10 you have sniper shot, aimed shot, caustic shot, rune arm use, 4 damage from battle engineer. You get conjure bolts from artificer and later fire arrows. Elemental imbue or +1 enhancement from spell. You should probably be a gnome for extra damage from racial ap. Spent the rest… no wait. You get +1 crits too late.
    Skip ap in battle engineer but keep levels and use action points in inquisitive.
    Could do rogue instead of artificer for evasion and sneak die but loosing rune arm.
    Also a note on the math.
    Ratcatcher and +1 crit multi and range and improved crit gives you a 2 times boost to damage. Doubleshot and ranged power is not that easy to get at heroics but you should keep them in mind.
    So basically, 21 in inq, atleast 13 in deepwood – could go for killer later – 12 harper. Total 46 so at level 12-13 you’d have this.
    Btw see this thread for a brief discussion regarding killer vs more base damage: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...d-Ranger-Rogue
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    Well… First a disclaimer. I do math pretty well, but I am probably not that good at the game to be honest. With that out of the way let me try and help.

Short version:
    I’d go for 6 ranger.

Long version:
    If only doing heroics for TR ratcatcher is a must. Get two of them and slot one with good augment and one with ghost touch. Use ghost touch until you get it permament and use good against devils.
    Again if you are only doing heroics you are probably not even going to play on level 19 and 20, which means you are not taking core 5 and 6 in inquisitive loosing 20 ranged power, which means the bonus for law damage and rune arms, which scales 200% with ranged power is not that big a gain.
    Having 10-12 levels to play with makes it tight and it comes down to your wanted playstyle. I for one does not really like sneak die. I solo a lot so they often don’t proc. This means i look more at consistent damage.
    Looking at inquisitive you have to use 22 ap to enable swashbuckling. Thats level 22/4=5.5 and 12 more for harper thats 8.5 so about the time you can use ratcatcher you’d be able to swashbuckle.
    Now why is this important? Well 6 levels of bard gets you a lot. You get 8 damage +1 from songs. You also get blow by blow ranged. Pair this with ranger deepwood for sniper shot, aimed shot and maybe killer… well we are allready way to high in ap….
    Hmm. I think 6 ranger and 3 artificer is a good idea.
    12 in harper, 4 in inq, 13 in deepwood, 11 in battle engineer. 40 total. 40/4=10. So at level 10 you have sniper shot, aimed shot, caustic shot, rune arm use, 4 damage from battle engineer. You get conjure bolts from artificer and later fire arrows. Elemental imbue or +1 enhancement from spell. You should probably be a gnome for extra damage from racial ap. Spent the rest… no wait. You get +1 crits too late.
    Skip ap in battle engineer but keep levels and use action points in inquisitive.
    Could do rogue instead of artificer for evasion and sneak die but loosing rune arm.
    Also a note on the math.
    Ratcatcher and +1 crit multi and range and improved crit gives you a 2 times boost to damage. Doubleshot and ranged power is not that easy to get at heroics but you should keep them in mind.
    So basically, 21 in inq, atleast 13 in deepwood – could go for killer later – 12 harper. Total 46 so at level 12-13 you’d have this.
    Btw see this thread for a brief discussion regarding killer vs more base damage: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...d-Ranger-Rogue
    Yeah, I was also thinking that 10X/ 6 ranger / 4 arti should also be a pretty decent option. You miss out on evasion, but between Ranger and Arti you end up with passive runearm damage and like 6 free feats, as well as the ranger enhancements you mentioned.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Since Inquisitive+Harper chews up at least 53 APs, you can only afford either one tier-4 or two tier-3 / level 6 Enhancements. For tier-4 I would take either Killer or Endless Fusillade depending on your class split.

Another possibility is rogue 12 / ranger 6 / Artificer 2 so you can have Sniper Shot + Killer from DWS and take Improved Sneak Attack epic feat. Also 3 APs in Acrobat for Fast Movement.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!