Thread: Need some help

Default Need some help

Rackram's trial epic. The puzzle. On the wiki, it has a map on how things are supposed to be, however I set it up like that but I can't get it to work. I need an idiot proof description step by step. Not with north/south/east/west. Because the angle of the puzzle is screwy. Please give me number of times I need to turn each tile, which levers to pull in which order. B/c the wiki's description is severely, SEVERELY lacking in precision. I don't want to spend 8 effing hours in a quest I avoid avidly each life b/c I need the xp to get this iconic life over with. I don't generally play in parties because of the hours I keep, otherwise I'd let them do it and be done with it, since no one runs this quest when I'm on, I'm pretty much screwed without a much better description.
    Veriden, Orien server: Lost count of lives. 3 of all base classes, 3 halfling, 2 gnome...working on trying to make the game work again. May or may not return.

Community Member

Starting with the picture on the wiki...

https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Rackam_Puzzle.jpg

I remember that the tiles form a snake from the top left to bottom right, align the tiles first.

1. Then hit the right hand switch, that sets the targets to align the dart.

2. pull the lever without crystals to shoot the darts.

4.Hit the left hand switch to realign the dart paths.

3. pull the lever with crystals to reset the dart launcher.

5. pull lever without crystals to shoot dart.

done.

note: 3,4 can be done in either order. I wrote it from memory, then noticed it didn't match the diagram.
    Last edited by Cantor; 12-06-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    Starting with the picture on the wiki...

https://ddowiki.com/page/File:Rackam_Puzzle.jpg

I remember that the tiles form a snake from the top left to bottom right, align the tiles first.

1. Then hit the right hand switch, that sets the targets to align the dart.

2. pull the lever without crystals to shoot the darts.

4.Hit the left hand switch to realign the dart paths.

3. pull the lever with crystals to reset the dart launcher.

5. pull lever without crystals to shoot dart.

done.

note: 3,4 can be done in either order. I wrote it from memory, then noticed it didn't match the diagram.
    did not work. Followed step by step.
    Veriden, Orien server: Lost count of lives. 3 of all base classes, 3 halfling, 2 gnome...working on trying to make the game work again. May or may not return.

The puzzle tiles you can set to match the picture right away. The middle trio of crystals (on the wiki pic there are 2 green and one blank, the green ones are labeled 4 and 1), only one of them can be active/lit at a time. The crystal there that is lit determines which direction the ceiling dart initially goes when you pull the activation lever. You need to send it to the right first (from the perspective of entering the room initially). This will lower a portcullis on the ceiling to allow the next dart to hit a lever behind it. Use the reset lever. Now change the active crystal in the middle to go left. Pull the activation lever and this will open the way forward/complete the puzzle.

Here's a video from 2009 showing someone go through it. https://youtu.be/8xc5ZqX3qio?t=220
    Last edited by vryxnr; 12-06-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm
    Makes me think that other post was your sock account.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    Incorrect. Post reported.

If even after that video clip of the puzzle solve you're still having issues, here is a step by step with pictures.

This is what things (should) look like when you first enter (but even if not, not a big deal)

Now go to the right side of those middle trio of crystals/levers and make it look like this

The left side will look like this initially

Make it look like this instead

Back to the middle trio of crystals/levers, make them look like this by pulling the right most lever (marked by an arrow and circle)

Behind the trio of crystals/levers are 2 more levers, one flanked by crystals and one not. You want to pull the one without crystals (circled in the picture)

Now it should look like this

WAIT A FEW SECONDS TO ALLOW THE DART TO SHOOT ACROSS THE CEILING AND HIT THE LEVERS ON THE CEILING IT NEEDS TO HIT

Now you can go to the crystal flanked lever (encircled here)

and pull it so that the whole thing looks like this again

But wait, there's more! Go back to the trio of crystals/levers on the carpet, and pull the left most one (indicated here)

Now go back to the two levers behind you and pull the one without crystals again (marked again here)

Now it is complete. Give it a few seconds for the dart to shoot across the ceiling to various levers to open the way forwards, ending with the large gate opening to let you through
    Last edited by vryxnr; 12-06-2019 at 09:00 PM.