Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Monster Manual update

Release note for today:

Monster Manual Deed requirements have been increased for bears, dretches, and mudmen.
    Hey at least Monster Manual is still on your radar, but how about a new volume? The longest wait until now was between update 17 and 25 for volume 4, but at this point we're at update 44 and the last new volume (8) was update 31.

+1 to new monster manuals. I really enjoy those little surprises when you hit a new tier in them.

Community Member

are there any large groups of mobs left?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Goblins seem like an obvious addition to follow up on KotB. I don't think owlbears are included in "bears" so either they add them there or they're really their own group and since Turbine seemed to have a thing for owlbears, why not. Animated armor and other animated objects aren't covered by any existing entries that I'm aware of. Quells, wheeps? Hags? Harpies. As far as a player race, we're at least missing gnomes, but maybe there's not enough in the game for that one yet.

It seems like they could find enough to release another volume but you may be right, it could be getting harder to find new categories. I realize there's some art asset costs and they usually accompany it with a new pet so there's that as well. It's still one of the best aspects of the game regarding making repeat play fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Missing from the current Monster Manuals, IIRC, are vampires, wights, specters, various giants fire, frost, stone, dogs, hyenas, wildmen, salamanders, dryad, satyr, medusas, hags, lizardfolk, animated objects, fire reavers, goblins, dragonborn, gnome, maybe more new monsters. Seems like the monster file on wiki hasn't been updated in awhile so just going off memory various new constructs, dinosaurs, crabs & crayfish, otyugh (probably not enough to matter), forgewraith & wisps, scarecrows.

Probably more but this is all I can remember.

I forgot harpies and owlbears, thanks hit_fido.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

While we're on the subject of increasing some categories, Glabrezus still require an obscene 1600. The most you can find in one area is perhaps 2, maybe 3 in an entire instance of the Demonweb, or 3-4 quests that have a single Glabrezu as a boss. Also, Lich's require 1600 but there is no good spot to kill them. Maybe in an entire Epic Orchard run you'll get 6 or so kills, or there's 7 or 8 quest with a single lich.
    Orien: ][Vladtepes][Gelatinous][Lelitha]

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dabima View Post
    Also, Lich's require 1600 but there is no good spot to kill them. Maybe in an entire Epic Orchard run you'll get 6 or so kills, or there's 7 or 8 quest with a single lich.

That last Night Revels before they killed the public instance was a lich paradise. I finished lich expertise during that, but it'd be real challenging now.

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    That last Night Revels before they killed the public instance was a lich paradise. I finished lich expertise during that, but it'd be real challenging now.
    Agreed. That's where I got about 600 of my 1100 Lich kills, but it's slowed to a crawl after that event, and for anyone who wasn't able to participate, they'll probably never complete it.

Another issue altogether is that we now have several hundred creatures that we have been tracking for a few years that still are not counting properly in the Monster Manual (lots of creatures from the legendary update that brought us Curse the Sky and Tempest Spine, some creatures in Legendary Shroud, all of the creatures in Killing Time, several creatures from Ravenloft, Monastery of the Scorpion, Shipwrecked Spy, oh I could go on but you get the idea
    Orien: ][Vladtepes][Gelatinous][Lelitha]

I was kinda liking that 2000 exp for killing 1 bear :-P
    oh well, I will live :-)
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Now we need a bard to rewrite Living in a Gangster Paradise with the undead of Night Revels.
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

I was really close after couple of Night Revels and finished it in Epic Ghosts of Perdition. Get a caster or ranged character enter on EE (or EH whichever suits you) and there's usually a couple of liches in the first corridor. Kill them, recall and redo till you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Missing from the current Monster Manuals, IIRC, are vampires, wights, specters, various giants fire, frost, stone, dogs, hyenas, wildmen, salamanders, dryad, satyr, medusas, hags, lizardfolk, animated objects, fire reavers, goblins, dragonborn, gnome, maybe more new monsters. Seems like the monster file on wiki hasn't been updated in awhile so just going off memory various new constructs, dinosaurs, crabs & crayfish, otyugh (probably not enough to matter), forgewraith & wisps, scarecrows.

Probably more but this is all I can remember.

I forgot harpies and owlbears, thanks hit_fido.
    Sea lions, manticore, and mimics. Not sure if Eladrin and Tiefling are in the MM.
    How about... Planescape or Dark SUN?

Time to bring in... Psionics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by salmag View Post
    Sea lions, manticore, and mimics. Not sure if Eladrin and Tiefling are in the MM.
    Tiefling are but they need to be moved to Player Race from Humanoid.

New monster manuals would be nice. Another improvement would be making it easier and clearer to tell which monsters have reached new tiers that have rewards to be claimed rather than needing to go through all of them. Hopefully, I'm missing something, but I've been checking with people and no one I ask seems to have a way to do it easily.

Community Manager

I have to admit I have not heard of any short-term plans at least to bring out a new Monster Manual volume, but it's great that people like it.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I have to admit I have not heard of any short-term plans at least to bring out a new Monster Manual volume, but it's great that people like it.
    Yeah would be great to have the new mobs added etc, also I would love the adventure journal to be like this too with art and lore added as you complete quests, as well as art and lore as your favour grows.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Please push the team to get this prioritized. I've been hoping for new monster manual volumes for a very long time and am disappointed every update that goes live without a new one. It's been 3 1/2 years since the last one was added! I think you guys should try and release a new one every year.

Default Fiend Folio

I agree - this is Dungeons and Dragons - we should have access to more of the monster manual and have it flushed out with a new update. Please and Thank you.
    **Master of the Beyond**

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I’d love to see Reapers added to the Monster Manual....
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

There's still a load of problem with the current ones.

Would 100% like to see more added, we've posted multiple times on what's still missing so no point repeating those .....

New content has been great in that it's all counted from day 1 without a patch. Would like to see the current list of problems reduced in the next update

EDIT: Maybe make it 5 mobs per new manual instead of 10 if that makes life easier?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast