Default Rune system for heroic raids instead of 20th list

Ok, I just finished my 40th run in abbot raid looking for the quiver and I still didnt get it.

Couple of years ago I did 60 runs in Zawabis Revenge looking for a shard and an item and I didnt get them.

Yes I used ETR to reset the lists but no luck again.

This system is just ridiculous nowadays, having to run 20 times in the same life and still not be certain that you would get what you want.

Is it too much to ask for a system similar to modern raids? Just use runes, no more disapointment and I am sure more people would start to run those raids again.

Ps: I had a quiver of alacrity (from 10th Anniversary Token) and after a true reincarnation it just vanished from my TR cache. Support said that they could do nothing...
    Last edited by tweeder22; 12-04-2019 at 09:34 PM.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by tweeder22 View Post
    Is it too much to ask for a system similar to modern raids?
    I don't like the "modern" system for multiple reasons, but the biggest is pretty simple: when "old" raids drop tomes, their 20th lists also contain tomes. With these new rune raids instead, you can't use those runes to get the tomes that raid drops. It's a big nerf on the main gear reason people kept running raids in the old days after they got whatever named item the wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    I don't like the "modern" system for multiple reasons, but the biggest is pretty simple: when "old" raids drop tomes, their 20th lists also contain tomes. With these new rune raids instead, you can't use those runes to get the tomes that raid drops. It's a big nerf on the main gear reason people kept running raids in the old days after they got whatever named item the wanted.
    With the eternal Reincarnation hamster wheel it’s almost unheard of to get 20 completions. I’m staying at one life for 2 months to get 20 ADQ runs but I’m REAL tired of sitting on this life right now

id really like to get those tunes to trade in for my choice of a ml 20 s/s/s item.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

I think it was Lynnabel that said on some livestream that they do want and intend to add the runes to all raids, it is just a question of finding the time to do it, among all the other things that needs to be prioritized first.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tweeder22 View Post
    This system is just ridiculous nowadays, having to run 20 times in the same life and still not be certain that you would get what you want.
    I do like the Red Fen's system where the reward lists populate every named item on every 3rd run.

As for the QoA, someone wise suggested moving it to a non-raid quest, since it's hard to find a group to raid Abbot. I'm more surprised that you found a group 40 times.

Also, there's been chatter about upgrading Topaz's of Striding to match random loot. You may regret running another 40 if that change is coming.

The rune system is one of the best things SSG has done. I agree, all raids should be changed to this system.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Community Member

I don't think any of the old raids even offer tomes above +3, mostly 2 if you're on the lower raids. in the time for 20 runs you could have TR'd several times for the favor +2's or gotten something higher from later content.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Sunny Cleric (transient) | Nantekottai/Stuck in TR (again) | Ponoka - Sub.

Yes, the old raids only offer +3 tomes at most in their 20 termination lists, which are currently obsolete in the current game. Nor do I see why they are not going to offer these tomes in the rune reward, that is not going to harm their sales of tomes +6, +7 or + 8... where there is currently the authentic sale of tomes in the store. I doubt that people buy tomes in the store below +6.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    With the eternal Reincarnation hamster wheel it’s almost unheard of to get 20 completions. I’m staying at one life for 2 months to get 20 ADQ runs but I’m REAL tired of sitting on this life right now

So they should actually fix it so raid completions carry over instead of getting reset on TR.

With the "rune" system they have shown they are willing to have the rewards be effectively account-wide instead of per-character, so maybe just make raid completions per-account instead of per-character and so immune to the vagaries of TR.

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    I don't think any of the old raids even offer tomes above +3

You would be incorrect in thinking that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    Nor do I see why they are not going to offer these tomes in the rune reward
    For whatever the same reason is that they don't offer the appropriate raid-loot tomes currently in the rune system.

I don't want the stupid rune system expanded unless they fix it first. Just having completion counts not get reset by TR would have been a better original solution than what we have, and remains a better solution then either what we have or nerfing additional raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

For whatever the same reason is that they don't offer the appropriate raid-loot tomes currently in the rune system.

I don't want the stupid rune system expanded unless they fix it first. Just having completion counts not get reset by TR would have been a better original solution than what we have, and remains a better solution then either what we have or nerfing additional raids.
    The reason they do not offer raid tomes in the lists of current raids is because they do not want to harm their sales in the store, but tomes of value as low as those of the old raids are not going to greatly harm their sales. The few people who buy tomes +3 (or +4 for that matter) are not going to take the job of making 20 terminations even with several characters.

I don't agree, I think the runes have been a great addition to the game. And there is nothing broken in the system, there is nothing to fix.

Community Member

I agree all raids should go to runes. I just think it's incompatible with S/S/S raids and we likely won't see it until the redo those items.

Yup, runes >> 20th completion. If people really care about getting +2/+3 tomes then add them to the rune turn ins. In addition to being more TR friendly and alt friendly, they just make more sense (and therefore new player friendly).
    Sabbath - Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    I'm more surprised that you found a group 40 times.
    Some servers run weekly flagging + raid runs, and at times even twice a week abbot runs.

Often if you run an abbot raid, folks might be willing to use reset timers to do another run there and then, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tist View Post
    Some servers run weekly flagging + raid runs, and at times even twice a week abbot runs.

Often if you run an abbot raid, folks might be willing to use reset timers to do another run there and then, too.
    If you're on Sarlona, check Gingerspyce's raid runs.

He helped me get falconry tree, fully upgrade my pinion (gotten from apology box) and getting Quiver.

Gingerspyce, you rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrisulven7 View Post
    As for the QoA, someone wise suggested moving it to a non-raid quest, since it's hard to find a group to raid Abbot. I'm more surprised that you found a group 40 times.
    On orien we have a static group running 2x a week for quite a long time. Most of the runs with 7-8 players, sometimes more. Some other servers doing the same thing.

A rune system would be nice, indeed. Maybe implement btc tomes and make them twice as expensive and 2 lvls under or something. Because 20th lists are really one of the few possibilities for a higher tome drop.

Cheers,
    Titus
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

If they keep the existing system on the old raids, they could change it to give that fancy named list every 10th completion. Having to run 20 is a bit excessive.

Heroic Abbot is the one raid I've run the most, with 200+ completions spread across 5 characters. It's a fun one! Come to Orien!
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Community Member

A Heroic Rune system would be in line with how the epic rune system. I approve.