Community Member

Default Should i dual box?

Hello

I am about to start over on my main character and thought about dual boxing. I have some other accounts that are just used for guild renown. I thought this would be a good time to dual box. I mostly solo so it should be easy to have him enter the quest and just stand there for xp.

Can someone please point out the pros and cons of dual boxing? - Besides the obvius one of having to purchase everything again...

Thing is that i am on Linux and i can't run two instances of DDO through steam. Anybody knows if i can do it through play on linux?

And merry christmas btw
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    Hello

I am about to start over on my main character and thought about dual boxing. I have some other accounts that are just used for guild renown. I thought this would be a good time to dual box. I mostly solo so it should be easy to have him enter the quest and just stand there for xp.

Can someone please point out the pros and cons of dual boxing? - Besides the obvius one of having to purchase everything again...

Thing is that i am on Linux and i can't run two instances of DDO through steam. Anybody knows if i can do it through play on linux?

And merry christmas btw
    Pros -
    *extra chest-pullers!
    *extra renown
    *some backup on hand in case you need it
    *free extra hirelings!(pop one out and order it to guard your main)

Cons -
    *really tedious
    *need to not space on the second char and make sure they dont log out from afk
    *contributes to dungeon scaling(though could be a pro)

For me it was the tedium, I disdain having to switch screens or alt-tab, but I'm solving that like I solve every other problem in my life. I hear there are also programs that can send keystrokes from one instance to another and actually let you "play" both characters at once.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    Hello

And merry christmas btw
    The dual box is a very good choice, especially Bard. I think 3 or 4 boxes will become popular in the future, and Multibox will solve many problems about technological backwardness.

I dual box so when the one client lag-locks (even in public areas I can't even /death), I can do other stuff in another zone.

True story.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

For a Premium account (like mine), it's a great option. The alts act as openers for anything new you have, easy Elite opening. The free account earns its own DP by leveling, and the packs roll in, slow but steady.

It also lets you play around with diff builds, see what's what (for those who haven't done that). Premium classes on your main, F2P builds on your alt account, all good.

I started with 6 accounts, 5 that got their 1,000 quick DP (TP back then) and then each bought one of the core packs. Of course, this was back when having several alts was a thing. That's less as of a thing now, but they still come in useful for that, depending. And the extra chest puller has paid off big several times (esp when farming for Epic items and/or s/s/s.)

(It also let me go this route, which is why 6 accounts:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5501639

Last, if(?!) you do favor farming, it's THE way to go. Link in my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by TestPilot View Post
    Cons -
    *really tedious
    For me it was the tedium, I disdain having to switch screens or alt-tab...
    Yeah, not for everyone, def a ymmv thing on that count. I don't mind it a bit, but I can see how it could wear on some personalities.

Community Member

Pros: loot loot and loot. Effective use of xp pots, box accounts best used to farm rxp for main when doing racial trs.
    Openers for specific quests to save time, pikers for slayers for best mob density scaling.

Cons : None really.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    There is no shortage of content in this game for the weakest 5% of players.

For most content, they have three difficulties designed solely for them, Casual, Normal and Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebtid View Post
    Openers for specific quests to save time
    Yeah, there are some chains/quests that require flagging that is a pain, but the end-quest is great xp/minute (some of the Necro end-quests jump to mind). Set up a dual-box opener, they step in, your main steps in, they step OUT (to preserve their ability to open)*, run the quest, win.

(* if you really want, log out here w/ the opener and log in w/ a dual box alt you're leveling w/ your main, have them step in)

re: the potential purchasing con, you could always try it on free content first. My primary account has way more purchased stuff and I still get a lot of mileage out of dual boxing.