Default Selfhealing raid tank (low difficulties)?

I am looking for advice on building a decent self healing raid tank for low difficulties.

I lead such raids Thursdays (8pm cet) and Sundays (9pm cet) on Ghallanda (PN LN, KT LN etc). Often we have neither tank nor healer but we manage and have fun even so.

I do have a tank on a different account (BF arti/ftr/wiz) that I sometimes box but I have a feeling its possible to build something better - something that can handle LH PN and KT and LN THTH with no outside healing.

Ideas are most welcome. The more detail the better
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I am looking for advice on building a decent self healing raid tank for low difficulties.

I lead such raids Thursdays (8pm cet) and Sundays (9pm cet) on Ghallanda (PN LN, KT LN etc). Often we have neither tank nor healer but we manage and have fun even so.

I do have a tank on a different account (BF arti/ftr/wiz) that I sometimes box but I have a feeling its possible to build something better - something that can handle LH PN and KT and LN THTH with no outside healing.

Lvl 20 pale master wizard, any flavor. Dc, con build, ek.
    Lvl 20 bear tank druid.

Splash of fvs/cleric with pally. Luck domain cleric?
    Any build with HA, lots of heal amp, and positive spell powere should be fine with solo tanking with renewal and cocoon. Talking 1k spell power, 250 amp, 75% crit chance.

True tank builds only really shine in really hard content. Multi tool tanks and off tanks do great in eayser content.

I also suspect there is several repair bassed tanks. Maybe 15 artificer or some thing. You will want 2-3 reconstruct spells however.
    Last edited by Pilgrim1; 12-01-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Here's what I've been using as a raid alt for over a year now; it's my low-effort sustain tank.

I've changed a few things since then (like I now use Renewal for cheap healing) and it's possible to redo gearing with Sharn loot (although that requires significantly more effort) but there's plenty of ideas to start with there and a lot of detail. Affirmation swap weapon is also definitely worth it.

Is it an endgame tank? No way. I don't even know that it could solo tank LH PN either (my guild only runs LN) - the debuff stacking adds up fast without PL's etc giving you a better baseline; but it works fine for solo in KT (spent <600 SP last time I ran that on LN, including a bit of healing other people etc). Works great in LN PN (AFK-worthy if you run with two tanks like my guild usually does), LH Baba, LH Strahd (assuming you don't indefinitely lag lol).

Can you do better with an Arti split and actual work? Almost certainly! But Brilliance + Consecration gives you lots of time to watch other people's HP bars while you press Intimidate and AFK. Comes with a handful of "oh no I'm taking lots of damage" buttons as well.

I realize EDF is the current meta for tanks, but I definitely like to be able to throw heals & rezzes at other people without bringing the stack of enemies along. If that's not on your priority list, you can probably come out further ahead by shuffling stuff around.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Default the survivable healer

17fvs/3pally Aasimar the survivable healer

advantage: high healing amp, self heals for days. able to get boosted hp without epic defensive fighting. able to heal others. high saves, able to tank bosses with intimidate. no past lives required. able to main heal as well as main tank with proper player skill

disadvantage: not able to hold aggro from extremely high DPS characters without first intimidating the boss several times.

starting stats

max con, max cha. remaining points in int. leveups all in con

take pally as your first level to get maximum intimidate skill and armor proficiency early on. take intimidate, balance, and umd for skills. add whatever else you like after this.

feats: not really in order
    Follower of the Sovereign host for Unyielding Sov
    Shield Mastery
    Improved Shield Mastery
    Shield Deflection
    Toughness
    Empower Healing
    Quicken
    Enlarge
    Epic Tougness
    Intensify spell
    Epic skill focus intim
    Epic damage reduction
    Epic reputation
    Epic spell power positive
    Deific Warding
    Scion of celestia

enhancements: take t5 in the beacon of hope fvs tree with healing wall and heal SLA along with the hope for success. take the 5% HP from the falconry tree and the 10% HP from the aasimar tree. remaining points in the sacred defender tree for the sacred defense stance and the t3 tenacious defense.

destiny: unyielding sentinel for extra hp% and HP stance. twist in consecration and sacred ground from divine crusader and energy sheath electric/fire depending on if you are doing killing time or too hot to handle and draconic presence for extra intimidate. if you have heaps of extra twist points and epic completionist, get meld into darkness as well.

gear:
    sets:
    legendary guardian of the gates sharn set: helm/armor/necklace
    boots/belt legendary greensteel one with unconscious range and one with electric resits. makes for +18% stacking HP. requires 5000 codex runes (pre greensteel you can use whatever else, but work to this asap!)

bracers: legendary hallowed castigators (swap to
    ring1: Stolen Signet of ir'Wynarn minor artifact
    ring2: Legendary Celestial Emerald Ring w/21 con crafted
    goggles: Legendary Collective Sight with 21 wisdom and insightful con +10 crafted
    gloves:legendary hands of house jorasco
    trinket: legendary 5 rings with wizardry +371/resistance+14/balance+22/quality intimidate +4
    cloak: swap spot. legendary cloak of balance for perma fom and quality con or cha, cloak of the mountain for insightful cha 9 when every last bit of intimidate is needed/spell absorb from giant hold when spell absorb is needed

weapon: legendary morninglord scepter
    offhand: Legendary Mirrorplate Tower

gear upgrades: get some parts from 2 hot to handle. the tank helm and shield as well as the spell absorb gloves are all great to have as a tank.

filigree: 4 peice nystuls set for 100 extra xp and extra Heal amp and MRR wherever else.

this should net you around 135 intimidate and 4200+ hp or so with around 4000-5000 spellpoints to heal yourself and others with. aim for 300 prr and 200 mrr as a first life with this gear. reaper points help tanks a ton with a full 100 extra hp coming at the 4th core in the defense tree at 21 reaper points.

strategy: hit healing wall and consecrate ground on yourself and intimidate the boss on cooldown. on the difficulties you describe that is all the healing you will need. heal others and beacon buff others in between intimidates.

Vid of build in action

Khyber server: Plague Winds
    Shanayney - TR Project with over 110 Reaper points
    Sahanna - Raid Ready Survivable Healer

[QUOTE=zappy;6270725]17fvs/3pally Aasimar the survivable healer

Thank you for the detail. How do rate this vs. a 17 cleric / 3 pally build with healing aura in luck domain for no fail on 1 saves? They seem somewhat similar to me but I curious to hear what you think.
    Danskerne

I play a couple of niche builds that both self heal in lower difficulty raids. The druid doubles as a healer and the warlock has support healing ability...
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...mpanion-thread
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...asi-tank-build

Thank you for the detail. How do rate this vs. a 17 cleric / 3 pally build with healing aura in luck domain for no fail on 1 saves? They seem somewhat similar to me but I curious to hear what you think.
    FVS comes with the extra HP from the feat Stout of heart at 7 fvs as well as wings at level 17 fvs as well as all the extra heal amp and SLA heals in the beacon of hope enhancement tree. also, you can spam the close wounds SLA for very few spell points and with as much healing amp and healing spellpower as you have, it will heal you at a faster rate and for more than the aura in the cleric tree. failing saves is not a huge deal, there is a way around each thing. for petrification you can swap to bracers of the mountain found in killing time and for instant death effects you can slot deathblock in a yellow augment slot. upon failing a reflex save you should have enough HP to live through it and a consecration and healing wall to keep you up through being knocked down. you have FOM to keep you from being CC'ed via will save and holy aura and protection from evil to protect from greater command and charm spells. also consider that a fvs's casting ability and spell points are based on your charisma score while a cleric is based on wisdom, something that is difficult to keep up while also maxing charisma for intimidate. keep in mind that each save will be north of 90 once geared and you will only fail on the roll of a 1 or 5% of the time.

if you are stuck on cleric, consider animal domain along with feral charge for the extra HP and sudo wings or the protection domain for extra prr/mrr and radiant forcefield SLA
    Khyber server: Plague Winds
    Shanayney - TR Project with over 110 Reaper points
    Sahanna - Raid Ready Survivable Healer

[QUOTE=mikarddo;6270733]
    Quote Originally Posted by zappy View Post
    17fvs/3pally Aasimar the survivable healer

I've seen quite a few people rocking a 15clr/4pal(ftr)/1wiz split, which I understand is the superior version of what you mentioned.
    Probably pretty comparable to the 17fvs/3pal split.

Dont sleep on the Aura lock for lower difficulty tanking. A nice temp hit point aura for you and others in melee range. A good tanky spell selection. Good intim, threat bonuses that big debuff aura in the lvl 12 core grabs agro like crazy. For extra healing you can run in divine crusader with a concencrate or exalted angel with the big burst aoe heal and the cure moderate mass sla.

Masters touch for a giants platter shield or what ever shield you favor thats not a tower.. tower causes too much spell failure.

Even decent dps for a tank with a few feats devoted to it.

Very laid back play style. My guildie for a long time ran a half ork warlock tank. He was half ork just for the increased threat from spell damage available there. He regularly tanked reaper quests up to 7ish and low reaper raids.
    Last edited by Jetrule; 12-03-2019 at 02:09 AM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Great advice all around, thanks.
    Danskerne

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetrule View Post
    Dont sleep on the Aura lock for lower difficulty tanking. A nice temp hit point aura for you and others in melee range. A good tanky spell selection. Good intim, threat bonuses that big debuff aura in the lvl 12 core grabs agro like crazy. For extra healing you can run in divine crusader with a concencrate or exalted angel with the big burst aoe heal and the cure moderate mass sla.

Masters touch for a giants platter shield or what ever shield you favor thats not a tower.. tower causes too much spell failure.

Even decent dps for a tank with a few feats devoted to it.

Very laid back play style. My guildie for a long time ran a half ork warlock tank. He was half ork just for the increased threat from spell damage available there. He regularly tanked reaper quests up to 7ish and low reaper raids.
    I do a 14 wlk / 4 fighter / 1 wizard aura-lock that works well. He's bladeforged for the self heal in the racial tree. 98ish con gives 196 temp hitpoints every 3 seconds from brilliance. 65ish charisma + items give me a 128 intim without pots. just under 400 ac / 400 prr / 4,000 hitpoints. (389 AC, 398 PRR (418 with full diefic warding procs), 3,800ish hitpoints (with tensers and pots, around 4,050 hitpoints). Add in Shining Through and Staunch and he can top out at over 6,600 hitpoints for those "oh ****" moments. I believe 249 MRR with sharn large shield equipped, no ASF.

Fighter instead of paladin because I like GOO vs Fey for leveling, no better reason than that. 2 piece LGS to hit the hitpoint mark, full epic past lives (each x3) as well as x3 PDK, x3 Deep Gnome, and x3 Warlock for the PRR/MRR/AC/Hitpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Zretch View Post
    I do a 14 wlk / 4 fighter / 1 wizard aura-lock that works well. He's bladeforged for the self heal in the racial tree. 98ish con gives 196 temp hitpoints every 3 seconds from brilliance. 65ish charisma + items give me a 128 intim without pots. just under 400 ac / 400 prr / 4,000 hitpoints. (389 AC, 398 PRR (418 with full diefic warding procs), 3,800ish hitpoints (with tensers and pots, around 4,050 hitpoints). Add in Shining Through and Staunch and he can top out at over 6,600 hitpoints for those "oh ****" moments. I believe 249 MRR with sharn large shield equipped, no ASF.

Fighter instead of paladin because I like GOO vs Fey for leveling, no better reason than that. 2 piece LGS to hit the hitpoint mark, full epic past lives (each x3) as well as x3 PDK, x3 Deep Gnome, and x3 Warlock for the PRR/MRR/AC/Hitpoints.
    Yeah with that split and build I think we have left the domain of moderately tough dificulty tanking and gone into the realm of heavy end game tank candidates! Warlock has fallen out of favor within the meta but it remains a strong and versatile class.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zretch View Post
    I do a 14 wlk / 4 fighter / 1 wizard aura-lock that works well. He's bladeforged for the self heal in the racial tree. 98ish con gives 196 temp hitpoints every 3 seconds from brilliance. 65ish charisma + items give me a 128 intim without pots. just under 400 ac / 400 prr / 4,000 hitpoints. (389 AC, 398 PRR (418 with full deific warding procs), 3,800ish hitpoints (with tensers and pots, around 4,050 hitpoints). Add in Shining Through and Staunch and he can top out at over 6,600 hitpoints for those "oh ****" moments. I believe 249 MRR with sharn large shield equipped, no ASF.

Note that using Fighter would require a LHoW +1 or greater (to remove the first Paladin level). Paladin also gives +14 to all saves, and +4 charges of LoH (if you're using Light the Dark for party heals etc). Fighter gives +3 feats though, which can be pretty nice when you're trying to fill out EDF on a tank.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.