Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

gotta throw in my two cents on the naming of things... creative naming actually makes it a lot harder for non-native speakers, especially if the same effect goes by 2 different names if it is a prefix or a suffix. while Blasting is much catchier than evocation focus for example, the first instinct would be it is something to do with fire. If people stick with the game they kind of learn it like vocabulary over time, but I have seen people give up over this because it makes gearing very hard. would be nice if names were the same all over between feats, stats and gear, actually. Or to pick up on a term used earlier, it would be neat

@ Lyn can u please call a hardware tech in and have him rename the broken laggy servers to working well servers?

or look at whatever u may have messed up over the last 3-5 updates and patches in the backend?

stuff is seriously aggravating atm ...

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    I can do this part (specifically, hiding numbers in the item titles) easily. Do you think I should? I worry it would make the AH less usable.
    I really like seeing numbers. Seeing numbers makes my life easier and also makes me happy in general.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

I can put more effort into making more fanciful combos, and you're right that it makes a difference.
    That being said, there are some stats that no matter what are going to be simple and boring. Strength +8 is going to be Strength +8 forever.
    What?
    Do what we did with the belts:
    Gauntlets of Ogre Power become Hill Giant, Frost Giant, Fire Giant, Could Giant, Storm Giant to name a few...
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

2014 DDO Players Council

I turned every single "Weapon's Cold Effect +4d6" (blegh) into "Chilling 4" - an improvement, sure, but not what I truly wanted.
    That being said, there are some stats that no matter what are going to be simple and boring. Strength +8 is going to be Strength +8 forever.
    I encourage you to think about interesting names before creating new effect.

But please don't add new names for existing effects. That makes it harder to find things.

E.g., I have to separately search for "Mighty", "Ogre Power", and "Strength" just to find Strength items.

Adding new names for existing effect, and having multiple names for the identical effect, sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Now => Dire Radiant 21 Ring of Radiance 151;
    Hiding numbers => Dire Radiant Ring of Radiance;
    Ugh, why? Why hide information that we actually care about? That would be an actively anti-QoL change to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I really like seeing numbers. Seeing numbers makes my life easier and also makes me happy in general.
    I like numbers too. Some of us care about optimising our builds, including gear layout. Please don't make this harder to do.

Exclamation

I can do this part (specifically, hiding numbers in the item titles) easily. Do you think I should? I worry it would make the AH less usable.
    Please, do NOT remove the numbers. Not only will AH be a nightmare, but actually sifting through gear will be worse because we will have to hover over every single item. I'd much rather scroll through and glance at something to know whether it is more/less powerful. Efficiency sometimes swallows flavor.
    >>>Itchybeard (Crafter), Greensmash (Main), All Others (Mules)<<<

Community Member

Imma chime in with everyone here about not hiding the numbers because of how much clearer it makes things.

I'd gladly accept their removal if it meant we'd get banks and TR caches sortable by level, but I know that those options don't really impede on each other, and, given that option, I'd rather keep both.

Still, I'd love it if the AH allowed sorting by item effect instead of me having to know and search for the effect's name and then sorting by level (and then doing another sort because that specific effect doesn't have the same name as a prefix or suffix). I want an item that'll give my 8 Strength. Whether it's on boots as a suffix or gloves as a prefix doesn't matter, just make me stronk.

If I can know my Smartypants Headband of Spotlessness is level 18 without inspecting it, I can figure out it's supposed to be better than my level 10 version thereof.

Another consideration is when we talk over the mic with someone about the loot somebody just pulled, spelling out those huge walls of texts xd.

For chest and (non bugged NPC rewards) the level of loot already suggests a fairly accurate enchantment. It seems like the bottle neck is the Auctions, I doubt meta gamers get too much use of it after the few months before they start to grind out the perfect BiS layout.

RNG right now serves the casual, relaxed players, who care less about perfect gearing, and generally everyone on their first 1-3 lives before the blues and oranges drop.

My common workflow is this for AH:

1) Set level range
    2) Filter by CAT
    3) If page count > 3 do a 1 word search

Rarely getting lots of items I care about, when I do I still have to examine 1-by-1 for slots, materials and 3rd `lucky` effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyata View Post
    gotta throw in my two cents on the naming of things... creative naming actually makes it a lot harder for non-native speakers, especially if the same effect goes by 2 different names if it is a prefix or a suffix. while Blasting is much catchier than evocation focus for example, the first instinct would be it is something to do with fire. If people stick with the game they kind of learn it like vocabulary over time, but I have seen people give up over this because it makes gearing very hard. would be nice if names were the same all over between feats, stats and gear, actually. Or to pick up on a term used earlier, it would be neat
    I am also not a native "speaker", ehr, reader_writer mostly, and I absolutely admire the creative naming, even if it makes me do a quick dictionary lookup, usually about 1d6+2 seconds. Learning English was the only joy i had during my education -- which was mostly torture :x.

If someone can hit up DDOWIKI, they can also hit up Gtranslate and co ... If they can memorize trap locations, they can memorize words xd.

//This is kinda like the argument we have with the marketing dep. every week, they auto-assume the audience to operate on half brain at 40% capacity. So we neeeeed to QoLify everything down to 3yr old children, even tho such a person would never get to operate our (business heavy) apps in the first place. xd
    Last edited by janave; 12-04-2019 at 03:24 AM.

Really? I find multiples of 5 or 10 much more aesthetic when it comes to percentages.
    In general, I would vote for multiples of 5% because it fits well to the d20 which is for me THE iconic Dungeons & Dragons dice
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

In my opinion, the random items themselves could be designed differently.
    At first, they should scale with the character level, this means if you use a ring with dexterity it gives you at level 1 +1 dex and at level 30 it gives you +13 dex.
    Then you could have on random items a random chance on a power level of -5 to +5, this means if you equip an item with power level +5 the item works as if your character level is 5 higher.
    These random items should have in general ONLY a drop chance if you do a quest AT the quest level (your character level is not higher than the effective quest level).
    This way you only need a name like "Nimble Boots of Thornguard (+2)" and you know instantly what the boots do and how high the quality of this item is.

The numbers are of course only examples and yea I'm vain enough to believe this would be much better than the current system but it will not happen anyway.
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

<<< Mic

Player 1: Uooh, a +5 Damping 23 Magecraft Plate of Negative Resistance 28, do you want i?
    Player 2: Sorry, a little cable noise, what was that?
    Player 1: .. Ahhforget it..

Community Member

Nooo I dont think so.

Names should communicate information. They should be informative first, and flavorful second. The flavor is important too, but not at the cost of easily-accessible relevant info.

Dont be scared of visible numbers. D&D has always been OK with numbers. Whats more iconically D&D than a +5 Longsword? Its not a "Greatly Enchanted Longsword", its just +5, and everyone's always been OK with that.

The problem is when the numbers/text gets so spammy that its hard to read, so its no longer easily communicating information...but not the numbers themselves.

#rename lag

#respond to issues

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chacka_DDO View Post
    At first, they should scale with the character level, this means if you use a ring with dexterity it gives you at level 1 +1 dex and at level 30 it gives you +13 dex.
    As I understand it, in the current system its impossible to pull that information dynamically and apply it when you equip gear. It can only scale based on the mlvl of the gear (or more precisely, scale on the invisible ilvl of the item, which the mlvl is also scaled against)

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The one era right after MOTU when interesting effects were added, which used these adjectives rather than the simple sliding scale labeling used now, was the one era where there was a significant amount of random generated loot that was actually useful. Currently someone **might** be able to pull a stars aligned randgen item that merits keeping around, but the vast majority of it is crafting fodder.
    To be honest this should be addressed before deciding to fix rounding 3% to 5%, calling cold dmg "chilling" or even whether +0 UMD should be fixed. Random generator should be able to create something as good as named gear. It should be very rare but possible. IMHO, named loot should be about putting the combination of effects on an item in a known location (maybe altering types of items things can appear on) not about creating things that are completely impossible (Raid gear excepted). If there is no magical series of rolls that can create the equivalent of a Ravenloft Weapon then random loot is pointless and not worth much effort. When the Random loot has a small chance of creating something equivalent to named gear then people will use it for something other than crafting XP and $.

Squirrel Enthusiast Lokeal_The_Flame's Avatar

Well, if you add the ability to use the search function to find items with specific effects it would be more than made up for. I remember straining myself trying to find an item with vampirism on the shard exchange way back before sentient weapons came along, it took hours and nothing was found!

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Another consideration is when we talk over the mic with someone about the loot somebody just pulled, spelling out those huge walls of texts...
    You should be 'Ctrl-right click'ing on the item to post it to party chat if you want to offer / show it to the party.

Assuming you're not being facetious here, I'm actually in complete agreement. In fact, one of the first things that I did upon joining this project was to rewrite all of the scaling text. I turned every single "Weapon's Cold Effect +4d6" (blegh) into "Chilling 4" - an improvement, sure, but not what I truly wanted.

I can put more effort into making more fanciful combos, and you're right that it makes a difference.

Thanks for the response. Veteran players like straight-up math since that is what the game becomes after a while. I think it is a turnoff to newer players.

Yet, even vets (some, anyway) love things to be interesting, descriptive, imaginative, and if there is some way to do both that would be great.
    Here is an example of old weapon suffixes: A Thousand Suns https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sun
    And there are others here https://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Weapon_suffixes like THe Rebel or The Crusader. These were lootgen weapons and essentially were named items (btc on equip I think) that randomly appeared. I would love to see these come back, especially if the NUMBERS were good behind all those descriptions (as now, I think the numbers are not good enough, but not sure).

Acid could take an interesting progression like this here: https://ddowiki.com/page/Elemental_A...t#Acid_Torrent So it goes with acid touch, acid, greater acid, torrent greater torrent etc. Not sure if the numbers bear it out but it is still more interesting than acidic 4 vs acidic 9

I think it could be interesting to have a toggle in the setup menu in which all descriptors are replaced by the math, like 'detailed descriptions on item examination' for people who like playing math more than the game. And we all do that occasionally when trying to optimize a build, flavor or otherwise
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (4), Naerfelka (21)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast