Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Q: Player population, what's the real scoop ? SSG comments ?

I doubt SSG can comment much about this due to not wanting to give out competitive details...but... what's the real stats about where player populations are ? I ask this to try to help with a player's depression when stating they can't find people to group with, the servers need consolidated. What I hope SSG can provide, without entirely spilling the beans, is some clarification about this.

If some players are having a rough time grouping, then repeat the mantra of no one to group with, just the repetition of that can lower player population by players reading that then not wanting to log on believing the theory - becoming self defeating. However, perhaps SSG can do a quick database number crunch and see how the population fits in guilds and percentage of players grouping within their own guilds. If that is a strong percentage, it may mean the population is alive and well just not gaming outside their guild. Identifying strong guild associations doesn't help other players looking to group but will dispel the game is losing players. The number crunch may also indicate there may be a real issue and reason or two to consolidate servers.

Another suggestion to help with the grouping is to get around the level bias. Allow a method for higher levels to have their stats reduced to a friend's level so they can quest with them. Some games have this can call it "mentoring" etc. DDO does have Rose Colored Goggles but perhaps some more thought can go into that directions to be able to cap at any level. Just a few ideas.

Community Member

[QUOTE=Mortas;6268762

Another suggestion to help with the grouping is to get around the level bias. Allow a method for higher levels to have their stats reduced to a friend's level so they can quest with them.[/QUOTE]

I have seen this comment before; 'let me run with a lower level buddy'. Seems like one could use an alt for that, not just as storage space.

Ok, before the flames appear, I do use alts for storage, and for farmbots, and even for test builds. But I do keep a couple of playable ones not on the TR train.

Even using alts doesnt mean you always have an alt for the level your friend(s) will be at, since there is a 3 level spread for grouping and 30 levels in the game.

As for the original question, when people began aggregating the MyDDO numbers to show increased population decline over time, the API was removed. Actions speak louder than words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mortas View Post
    what's the real stats about where player populations are ?
    I don't know about player hours (and single-toon players vs those with alt stables) but DDO Oracle has a bunch of data about number of characters.

Per the graph for the past quarter, Cannith has a commanding lead; in the past week Orien has had a massive surge bringing it from average to competing for top; but across a long trend it's pretty Cannith-favored. I'm curious as to why the upswing, and if it'll continue. Wayfinder is very far below average, but other than those three basically all the other servers are equal.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    in the past week Orien has had a massive surge bringing it from average to competing for top
    Ahem. So one could say, extrapolating of course, that Orien *IS* hardcore.

Community Member

in the past week Orien has had a massive surge bringing it from average to competing for top; but across a long trend it's pretty Cannith-favored. I'm curious as to why the upswing, and if it'll continue.
    I use DDO-ML, so I don't see the launcher normally. I only play on Orien.
    Since the HC server went off, the official launcher suggests Orien as "recommended world" to me. Is that actually the same for everyone? Maybe the uptick is because Orien is currently the "default server" ?Maybe that was not intended.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma View Post
    I have seen this comment before; 'let me run with a lower level buddy'. Seems like one could use an alt for that, not just as storage space.

Ok, before the flames appear, I do use alts for storage, and for farmbots, and even for test builds. But I do keep a couple of playable ones not on the TR train.
    If there was some kind of meaningful account based progression, this would be a fine suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tist View Post
    Since the HC server went off, the official launcher suggests Orien as "recommended world" to me. Is that actually the same for everyone? Maybe the uptick is because Orien is currently the "default server" ?Maybe that was not intended.
    That would seem like a rapid increase even for getting default status. It jumped over a day or two. Also, no real drop in Cannith numbers corresponding to Orien's increase. You'd think if the default got a bunch of extra log ins every day just for being default (say people accidentally logging in to the default), Cannith would drop while Orien rose.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

DDO Oracle is your best bet.
    99% of online games will not give you direct subscriber numbers
    for dozens of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    That would seem like a rapid increase even for getting default status. It jumped over a day or two. Also, no real drop in Cannith numbers corresponding to Orien's increase. You'd think if the default got a bunch of extra log ins every day just for being default (say people accidentally logging in to the default), Cannith would drop while Orien rose.
    Yeah, typically default takes a lot longer to get to top. Also IIRC Orien was the previous default server, so I wouldn't have expected it to switch back?
    Can anyone else confirm that Orien is default for them as well?
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.

Can anyone else confirm that Orien is default for them as well?
    Confirmed!

Community Member

I doubt SSG can comment much about this due to not wanting to give out competitive details...but... what's the real stats about where player populations are ? I ask this to try to help with a player's depression when stating they can't find people to group with, the servers need consolidated. What I hope SSG can provide, without entirely spilling the beans, is some clarification about this.

If some players are having a rough time grouping, then repeat the mantra of no one to group with, just the repetition of that can lower player population by players reading that then not wanting to log on believing the theory - becoming self defeating. However, perhaps SSG can do a quick database number crunch and see how the population fits in guilds and percentage of players grouping within their own guilds. If that is a strong percentage, it may mean the population is alive and well just not gaming outside their guild. Identifying strong guild associations doesn't help other players looking to group but will dispel the game is losing players. The number crunch may also indicate there may be a real issue and reason or two to consolidate servers.

Another suggestion to help with the grouping is to get around the level bias. Allow a method for higher levels to have their stats reduced to a friend's level so they can quest with them. Some games have this can call it "mentoring" etc. DDO does have Rose Colored Goggles but perhaps some more thought can go into that directions to be able to cap at any level. Just a few ideas.
    I also think player population is a big problem, the quest mode doesn't need to divide the server, it's clear that DDO hasn't kept up with technological advances and it will scare away new players because
    GW2's LFM speed is a thousand times faster than DDO at any time. I think the development speed is directly proportional to the player ’s spending power, so developers should provide Server Merge DLC or Shared LFM separately, so that high-consumer players get better services, otherwise they will feel abducted by low consumers.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

They're likely not going to give any numbers out related to population, which I understand from a business standpoint.

The only real data we have as far as I'm aware is the DDOracle and Steam Charts. And really only DDOracle, since Steam charts only reflect those playing through Steam, and are too small a sample to be representative in any capacity.

The DDOracle as others mentioned does have login data. Which is flawed since it's only logins, but does give a general indicator of population. I did a youtube video recently on my channel trying to break the data down a bit the best I could.

SSG also revealed a few days ago that 6,000+ characters reached level 5 and survived on Hardcore. While that's just characters and not players, and it's only those that survived, it still shows something. I'd imagine if 6,000 characters reached level 5 and survived, there were probably atleast double that many players who engaged in hardcore in some capacity. There would be those who got a character past 5 but then it died and they quit...and players that never got a character to level 5. And that's VIP only population.

From looking at the Oracle data, my best guess is that the population is between 30,000 - 40,000 active players. Obviously that could be wrong and will vary depending on how you define "active player". Seems like Hardcore boosted the population a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    Confirmed!
    Thanks! I wonder if that indicates that SSG is planning to swap between a couple (since it went Orien-Cannith-Orien) and sorta let the others taper off, or what.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    The DDOracle as others mentioned does have login data. Which is flawed since it's only logins, but does give a general indicator of population. I did a youtube video recently on my channel trying to break the data down a bit the best I could.

SSG also revealed a few days ago that 6,000+ characters reached level 5 and survived on Hardcore. While that's just characters and not players, and it's only those that survived, it still shows something. I'd imagine if 6,000 characters reached level 5 and survived, there were probably atleast double that many players who engaged in hardcore in some capacity. There would be those who got a character past 5 but then it died and they quit...and players that never got a character to level 5. And that's VIP only population.

From looking at the Oracle data, my best guess is that the population is between 30,000 - 40,000 active players. Obviously that could be wrong and will vary depending on how you define "active player". Seems like Hardcore boosted the population a bit as well.
    Seems like a fairly reasonable estimate. Quite interesting to compare to here or the subreddit, with basically a handful of players on either compared to the active number.
    -Khysiria of Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma View Post

In my experience playing games with dynamic leveling and without, it has a tremendously positive impact on grouping. I am confident that for a game as level gated, gear based, and flag oriented as DDO it would be true here too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    They're likely not going to give any numbers out related to population, which I understand from a business standpoint.

The only real data we have as far as I'm aware is the DDOracle and Steam Charts. And really only DDOracle, since Steam charts only reflect those playing through Steam, and are too small a sample to be representative in any capacity.

A friend didn’t anecdotal analysis about year ago By logging into each server a few times a day and counting the active players I believe he did this over a few weeks time. As I recall active players as he defined it, players that actually play the game was about 4000-5000. Haven’t seen him in a while and I have many friends that login maybe once or twice a month but don’t really play as well as dice rolls,bank tunes, favor runners and such. I would guess you’re right axle maybe 30,000-40,000 people login from time to time and might even spend a little money but is far as active players people that login and play at least few hours a week I think it’s around 5000-10000.

I would like to see Them Merge WayFinder with one of the other low pop Servers.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Zites View Post
    A friend didn’t anecdotal analysis about year ago By logging into each server a few times a day and counting the active players I believe he did this over a few weeks time. As I recall active players as he defined it, players that actually play the game was about 4000-5000. Haven’t seen him in a while and I have many friends that login maybe once or twice a month but don’t really play as well as dice rolls,bank tunes, favor runners and such. I would guess you’re right axle maybe 30,000-40,000 people login from time to time and might even spend a little money but is far as active players people that login and play at least few hours a week I think it’s around 5000-10000.

I would like to see Them Merge WayFinder with one of the other low pop Servers.
    Definitely a merge is well past needed at this point.

5,000-10,000 seems definitely too low to me because if nothing else, just consider that SSG just said a few days ago that there were 6,000+ characters that got to level 5 and above on hardcore and were alive at the end of the event. Sure, some players would have gotten multiple characters to level 5+ that stayed alive, but still those 6,000+ characters has to make up atleast what...4,000 players alone even at the most conservative extreme? And wouldn't include players that didn't get to level 5 on hardcore, or got above it and died and quit. Also wouldn't include level 1 dice rollers. I can't imagine many people were running tons of alts on there. More likely the vast majority of people were concentrating on 1 character at a time to meet their goals. And that's VIP only population who played on hardcore. So surely when you add in non-VIP, and VIPs that never logged into hardcore, we're talking easily above 10,000 players.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

...but... what's the real stats about where player populations are ?
    THIS ^

I ask this to try to help with a player's depression when stating they can't find people to group with,
    Has nothing to do with THIS ^

Since 2006, players have complained about grouping. While I *understand* the correlation some players want to make, player population is FAR from the only reason, and likely among the least of concern, as to WHY *you* are having trouble finding groups.

But to point those reasons out is considered being "overly critical" or simply being a DDO "cheerleader".

What you are asking requires *you* to make a detailed examination of WHY *you* may be unable to get a group. Many players do not have trouble finding groups, despite the player population being whatever it is. Many players simply find it easier and cathartic from certain forum posters to complain and feel better.

As far as DDO player population - being whatever it is - the game is up after 13 years. It has been moved among companies twice. In my experience, games that don't have players, don't make money. Games that don't make money don't stick around.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12 - -13- -14! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    THIS ^

Since 2006, players have complained about grouping. While I *understand* the correlation some players want to make, player population is FAR from the only reason, and likely among the least of concern, as to WHY *you* are having trouble finding groups.

But to point those reasons out is considered being "overly critical" or simply being a DDO "cheerleader".

What you are asking requires *you* to make a detailed examination of WHY *you* may be unable to get a group. Many players do not have trouble finding groups, despite the player population being whatever it is. Many players simply find it easier and cathartic from certain forum posters to complain and feel better.

As far as DDO player population - being whatever it is - the game is up after 13 years. It has been moved among companies twice. In my experience, games that don't have players, don't make money. Games that don't make money don't stick around.
    A game can continue to make money while its population decreases; there are many positive numbers above zero.

THIS ^

The HC server is evidence of the contrary, as well as evidence of the disconnect between forum feedback and actual in game player attitude. People were commenting quite often how the population density was a breath of fresh air and how much easier it was to find a group. Its only on the DDO forums where the disconnect exists, where people fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo, attempting to shout down any and all requests for a server merge or anything else that will help promote easier grouping, labeling good feedback as complaining, and listing obstacles as permanent barriers rather than roadblocks to be worked through/worked around.

As for the often repeated "old game" cliche...there are now three games, all older than DDO which more than doubled their population concurrency by finding creative ways to get people to play together on same server/smaller number of servers etc. WOW, EQ1, and OSRS.

The evidence is in, its not even close. It supports server merges or finding other creative ways which allow people to play together. Population numbers are indeed a correlation to this, despite any attempt by ForumDDO® to keep the status quo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast