Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Fireball not hitting for enough

So I'm trying to run a fire sorc. He's lvl 15, pure sorcerer, with 233 fire spell power and 37% crit chance. Scorching Ray lands for 135 per ray average.

But for some reason, both fireball and the fireball SLA are only hitting for about 20-40dmg. I'll see the occasional crits into the lower hundreds, but most times it does effectively nothing. The mobs aren't saving, it's just doing virtually no damage.

Is there something crucial im overlooking, here?

if it is any help, the Fireball is an AOE
    the ray is a direct attack

all kinds of different saves and modifiers
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by TestPilot View Post
    So I'm trying to run a fire sorc. He's lvl 15, pure sorcerer, with 233 fire spell power and 37% crit chance. Scorching Ray lands for 135 per ray average.

But for some reason, both fireball and the fireball SLA are only hitting for about 20-40dmg. I'll see the occasional crits into the lower hundreds, but most times it does effectively nothing. The mobs aren't saving, it's just doing virtually no damage.

More information would help; what difficulties, what enemies, any active metamagics, etc. I don't remember the dice for fireball off the top of my head this late at night, but with 223 power I'd definitely expect higher hits, especially since spell critical hits are usually just double, so if those are doing that much, I'd expect regular damage to be half that. There may be partial resistance, especially on Elite or Reaper, but if the text is orange or purple then that shouldn't be the problem.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0 (out of date as of U42.4, needs testing for new values)

Community Member

something is wrong. try relogging. try respeccing your enhancements. post a screen shot.

I suspect something with dices and casting levels, because ray is fixed, so CL doesnt affect it all that much, except for the number of rays...

You didn't list your Evocation DC's, so it's possible targets are making their save, but even then it should only be "for half" (or just zero if they have Evasion) and you're listing close to a x8 diff.

Is it possible that you haven't turned on all the metamagics for your SLA? (Right-click / "always on")

I think we are missing some information.

Fireball's damage dice maxes at 10d6+30 without spell power average should be about 65

As a 15 Sorcerer assuming you have the 4th Core (3rd and 4th increase max caster level)

12d6+36 or average should be about 78

---
    What is the combat log stating? Keep in mind if you only look at the screen you won't see some of the adjustments to damage such as you did 10 points of damage after 150 was reduced from it due to some resistance.

What is your DC? Many times when the numbers are low it is because the mob is saving, keep in mind that reflex saves for some mobs are rather high when running at level, especially on Elite and Reaper difficulties. In reaper difficulties you are also going to see a reduction in damage dealt.

What mobs were you fighting?

Do they have any resistance to fire damage? This could be natural or even provided by a buff such as Protection from Element, example mummies in the Desert will cast a version of Protection from fire which Absorbs the damage.

Do they have improved evasion (Failed save is half damage)

Community Member

Your Spell Power is low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    Why should i use all my neural cells when i can go inqui and go pew pew pew ???

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Are the numbers orange or green or yellow or purple when they float above the enemy heads?

Are you attacking enemies with serious fire resistance/immunity?

Is that for some specific enemies or for every enemy (i.e. try out blasting some kobolds in the waterworks and see how that goes)

You're level 15, so you should also have Delayed Blast Fireball. How much damage is DBF doing? Once you have DBF, you can kind of put away regular Fireball because DBF is just WAAAAAAY better.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

it sounds like you are hitting for zero damage, but they are still taking damage from a stack of immolation, since this applies even if the mob evades.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    it sounds like you are hitting for zero damage, but they are still taking damage from a stack of immolation, since this applies even if the mob evades.
    Yes, I've seen this before a lot on fire sorcs. Mob evades but you still get your DOT on them.

Community Member

Ok, so first off, what is the bloody secret to collecting data from the combat logs? It won't allow you to highlight more than 1 line at a time, and it is constantly ticking up even outside the quest due to city regeneration.

Anyway, to answer a few of the questions:

I don't know how to check the evocation DC specifically, but mousing over the fireball spell indicates that the save is 30(reflex)

Only metamagic active is Quicken.

Am mostly in fire savant so should have high DCs & caster lvl.

I am only playing on Heroic Hard, no reaper or anything, and seeing this on all mobs not champs.

Quest I am trying is "A Sharn Welcome" and am going after the first couple of mobs right at the beginning. "Boromar Thugs" on Heroic Hard arent supposed to have any fire immunity and shouldn't have much more than 1500hp or so.

Now for the oddities of the combat log.

Unfortunately the forum isn't letting me upload pictures, so until someone can tell me how to export the log I'll just describe what I'm seeing. The log states I am casting Fireball at lvl 19, and states that it did 483 points of damage on a crit. Which sound perfectly reasonable.

The problem is this is not reflecting on the mob's hit bar. If I cast Scorching Ray, which deals a total of 300-400 points of damage, I see about 1/3rd of the hit bar go away. If I cast 2 fireballs in a row(1 SLA/1 normal), the hitbar doesn't change at all. I can sit there lobbing fireballs at them all day, but the hitbar doesn't go down until I cast other spells. I was able to complete the quest last night using chain lighting and firebolt, but fireball doesn't seem to have any effect.

In another test just now, the log seems to indicate "you begin to cast fireball at lvl 19" several times in rapid succession. I saw the animation play, the fireball go, and my spellpoints tick down, but aside from that it doesn't appear in the log or visually to have affected the mobs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Are the numbers orange or green or yellow or purple when they float above the enemy heads?

Are you attacking enemies with serious fire resistance/immunity?

Is that for some specific enemies or for every enemy (i.e. try out blasting some kobolds in the waterworks and see how that goes)

You're level 15, so you should also have Delayed Blast Fireball. How much damage is DBF doing? Once you have DBF, you can kind of put away regular Fireball because DBF is just WAAAAAAY better.
    Regular orange text, but usually only for very small numbers(15 on a hit, 50 on a crit)

Boromar Thugs in "A Sharn Welcome"; shouldn't have any fire resist so far as I know

I have delayed blast fireball but hadn't tested it yet, a cursory check seems to indicate it's having the same problem. The log says I am hitting and even criting, but the mobs aren't taking any damage and the log doesn't say they are evading/saving/reducing/etc.

DBF does seem to work a little better. My tests this morning have been hit or miss, but the fireballs are at least sometimes doing damage.

Community Member

I think they have evasion and obscene reflex saves. and you just see immolation damage as mentioned above.
    gear up.

Community Member

Many of the Boromar in that quest have Evasion.
    DC 30 isn't high enough to get them 100% of the time either. I don't even know if it's enough to get them 50% of the time.

Without tomes and unoptimized gear, you should be sitting around 32-34 charisma. (+12 bonus)
    Using crafted level 10 gear, you'd have +5 total dcs (+3 enhancement, +2 insightful)

That already reaches 30, without any bonuses from trees, or any outstanding gear.
    I didn't use any stat bonuses other than level-appropriate enhancement + insightful, same for the DCs.

Missing are Profane, Quality and others, along with Spell Focus, Heighten and other DC-boosting feats.

Community Member

Well, that would explain it. Thanks! At least I'm not going crazy.

For all those high evasion mobs fire bolt and scorching ray should work fine no saving throws best thing about fire

Wall of fire should work too says only save on first tick

Sharns one of the newest packs so the mobs will have some of the highest stats saves

If you have ravenloft a level 10 gear set should be all you need and the quests are fast farms so you don't need cc if you don't have it
    Last edited by mr420247; 11-26-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Damonz Cannith

Community Member

Well, that would explain it. Thanks! At least I'm not going crazy.
    Sharn has very high saves , try normal difficult or other quest (like lod saga) in case
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    KVP Korthos Village People

Went in to A Sharn Welcome to check reflex saves.

Sorcerer solo scaling.
    Casting DC 43 lightning bolt. ( the multi strike chance is nice for testing)

Hard QL16; Monsters CR17-18
    Only the ranger and the boss raptor saved. Assumed saves d20+CR+(1-3); => DC 40 ish is solid. 44 should be close nofail except maybe on the raptor.

Elite QL17 Monsters CR 20-21; Bosses CR 23
    Assumed saves d20+CR+(3-4). => DC 43 is solid. 47 should be close no fail except maybe the raptor.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom2112 View Post
    Your Spell Power is low.
    What is a good spell power at 15th and what are your sources?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast