Community Member

Default Build request for second lifer

Hey!

I'm currently back in the game after a long, at least 5-6 years-ish break. I'm about to hit 20 on my first lifer on a build I dislike, so I think I'll actually skip the epic levels for now and go right for the TR. I was digging around a lot, but I couldn't find a beginner friendly non-warforged SFW EK build. Could someone please point me into the right direction? I can buy iconics, skill trees, etc. that's not an issue.

Regards

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furyofearth View Post
    I was digging around a lot, but I couldn't find a beginner friendly non-warforged SFW EK build.
    There's a couple in my Bladesingers thread, but I've not updated them in a while. Some more recent build threads:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ARCANE-warrior
    THF Warforged but easy enough to adapt to SWF fleshie: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-THF-EK-Wizard
    S&B Warforged but again can be adjusted for other races: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...trimtom-Review

Melee battlewizards are going to look a lot alike, because the basic template is the same: max INT, probably at least 18 wizard levels for the EK cores, combat-style feats of your choice (TWF or SWF is preferable to THF or S&B just due to higher hit rate). At least 12 APs into Harper for INT to damage, 40+ APs into EK. If you're Warforged, you'll invest in your racial tree; otherwise you'll invest in Pale Master for survivability.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

WB!

A lot has changed: here are some good builds to take a look at. Most(!) are still perfectly viable (Monk is one that has had a change, along w/ the various EK trees (more powerful defense), and some of the Universal Enhancement Trees can make a build out of (almost?) anything.)

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759353

I'm currently back in the game after a long, at least 5-6 years-ish break. I'm about to hit 20 on my first lifer on a build I dislike, so I think I'll actually skip the epic levels for now and go right for the TR...
    Been there - grats on getting rid of the ol' ball and chain.

Community Member

Hey!

I'm currently back in the game after a long, at least 5-6 years-ish break. I'm about to hit 20 on my first lifer on a build I dislike, so I think I'll actually skip the epic levels for now and go right for the TR. I was digging around a lot, but I couldn't find a beginner friendly non-warforged SFW EK build. Could someone please point me into the right direction? I can buy iconics, skill trees, etc. that's not an issue.

Regards
    All depends if u have harper tree.

If u have go 20 wizard with 12 ap in harper for int to damage.
    (Slarden build is good here), 41 ek at least 14 undead and go undead form

If u dont have follow gilga build strengt based 18wiz 1 fvs 1 barb and swap 2hf with swf ( remeber take points in the necessary skill) and go undead form instead of falconry
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    KVP Korthos Village People

Community Member

SWF Second lifer Wiz
    Wizard 20
    True Neutral Human

Stats
    . . . . . . . .34pt . . Level Up
    . . . . . . . .---- . . --------
    Strength. . . . 10. . . .4: INT
    Dexterity . . . .8. . . .8: INT
    Constitution. . 18. . . 12: INT
    Intelligence. . 18. . . 16: INT
    Wisdom. . . . . .8. . . 20: INT
    Charisma. . . . .8. . .

Feats

.1. . . . : Single Weapon Fighting
    .1 Human. : Spell Focus: Evocation
    .1 Wizard : Spell Focus: Enchantment
    .3. . . . : Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment
    .5 Wizard : Quicken Spell
    .6. . . . : Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
    .9. . . . : Knight's Training
    10 Wizard : Mental Toughness
    12. . . . : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
    15. . . . :
    15 Wizard : Improved Mental Toughness
    18. . . . : Improved Critical: Slashing
    20 Wizard :

Do these feats look alright? Is there anything else you could put into the 2 empty spots? I'm really unsure about this.

Community Member

.1. . . . : Single Weapon Fighting
    .1 Human. : Spell Focus: Evocation
    .1 Wizard : Spell Focus: Enchantment
    .3. . . . : Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment
    .5 Wizard : Quicken Spell
    .6. . . . : Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
    .9. . . . : Knight's Training
    10 Wizard : Mental Toughness
    12. . . . : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
    15. . . . :
    15 Wizard : Improved Mental Toughness
    18. . . . : Improved Critical: Slashing
    20 Wizard :

Do these feats look alright? Is there anything else you could put into the 2 empty spots? I'm really unsure about this.
    Personally, I took Extend ASAP. First, it's convenient for buffs at low levels. But I really appreciated Extend to boost Death Aura and later Haste, both of which become more SP-efficient while Extended. It also put both of these spells on a similar timer as KTA. I'd swap it with Mental Toughness - the spell points are ok, the spell crit is underwhelming

I'd fill the empty slot with either Insightful Reflexes (will grant a minimum +12 boost by 15) or Precision (crits aren't super important for EK but it'll buff your Tempest)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Have you taken a DEX tome yet? Precision is a good idea but requires base DEX 13.

Insightful Reflexes is a must-have on any wizard IMO.

You invested in Spell Focus Enchantment but not Spell Penetration. Both are important if you wish to be an Enchanter. Alternatively, skip Enchantment spells and focus on other forms of CC such as Web. Or switch to Necromancy since you will presumably be using Pale Master undead forms. It's easy to spread yourself too thin; figure out what you really want to focus on.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Quote Originally Posted by Discpsycho View Post
    I took Extend ASAP. First, it's convenient for buffs at low levels...
    I would think "convenience" would come secondary to DPS, at least until later. It's a minor pain to keep casting buff spells, but need the juice to get the job done when that time comes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    I would think "convenience" would come secondary to DPS, at least until later
    Maybe, but I feel like Spell Focus: Evocation / Enchantment are overkill for level 1. Evo gives 5% more damage per DC (10% vs. evasive targets) assuming you're not in no-fail DC ranges

Extended Lesser Death Aura is more SP-efficient than LDA and I was running that pretty much constantly at low levels as a melee Wiz. That efficiency doesn't include the times you need to pre-refresh before a fight or the lost DPS from having to cast it mid-fight. By the time you get to 7 with Haste / DA, you're looking at +100% duration for +40% base cost

But those are just my two cents. I don't know the number of times Expeditious Retreat or Jump has run out mid-kite at low levels, I just know the answer is "way too often"