Default No More Raid Flagging

Every week around the same time we run a raid circuit, generally including raids like HoX, FoT, FoTP, CitW and DoJ. Initial turn-out is always solid, bringing in casual and elite players alike. It's a chill time to catch up with old players in an environment that doesn't require end-game gear or countless past lives. It's a relaxing break from running high-reaper content that brings players from all skill levels together. Unfortunately each week attendance drops off around the third raid. Not because people are unwilling to stick around, but because we can't agree on a raid that everyone's flagged for. Some raids such as FoTP only require a few minutes to flag for. If a few people aren't flagged we'll help them run through the required content and we'll start soon after. Other raids like CitW require extensive flagging; if someone isn't flagged, either they're not coming or we're not going, and that sucks.

I view raid flagging as a necessary evil. It promotes running content that you may not have run otherwise, and it prepares the player for the raid with content of similar difficultly, bestowing both gear and knowledge. Let me be clear, I'm not advocating for the removal of this system. However, I propose a change for older raids - those raids that players generally only run for fun: remove flagging requirements.

A long time ago reincarnation wasn't nearly as prevalent and the need to re-flag wasn't nearly as common. Players usually stayed at cap for extended periods of time and it was fairly typical for those players to be flagged for any number of raids. However as the game has evolved, players are reincarnating more often, thus driving up the need to re-flag for raids each life. For current raids this isn't an issue. The content required for flagging is still relevant and popular, and flagging for these raids is generally auto-granted just by the common leveling process. For older raids, however, it's increasingly uncommon to see flagging groups, and even more uncommon to flag without having to make a significant deviation from popular content. This leads to a lack of players running older raids. Again, not because they don't want to, but because few are willing to invest time each life to flag for countless raids that they may not even have the opportunity to run before they TR. The result? Raid night ends early.
    I propose handling older raids differently. Three years from the release date of a raid it become open to the general population without the need to flag. By this change we can promote a more healthy, casual raiding community, diversify the content experienced by the average player, and allow new players the opportunity to run older raids with current groups.

Do I run these older raids to farm for that elusive and highly powerful raid item? No. I run these older raids because they're fun and because it's a great way to connect with the community. Unfortunately raid flagging requirements on older raids have diminished what raid night could be. So please, promote a more diverse content pallet by removing the flagging requirements for older raids and help us revive classic raid night.
    "There are so many people running around and so many LFMs that it actually doesn't feel like a single player game." - Some guy on HCL
    Also what the live servers would be like with server merges or cross-server grouping.

Health report: Concurrent Population and LFM Trends for the Month of December 2019

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I think that raid flagging is a great mechanic.

I also think that having to flag for the same raids every life stinks.

The Litany of the Damned solution is wonderful. I'd love to have that type of thing available for every raid.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Default This

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post

The Litany of the Damned solution is wonderful. I'd love to have that type of thing available for every raid.
    Agreed. It does get old after a bit. Especially on the ETR Train.
    Proud guild gimp of Synergia! Adults only. Bring beer. Pants optional.
    Banginurz/Gimpinurz/Shagginurz/Spankinurz. Stay classy Argo.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I think that raid flagging is a great mechanic.

Nothing wonderful about Litany of the Damned. Still gotta run it 4 times for each boss to flag for Abbot.

In comparison, Epic MoD flagging takes 4 quests but all in Orchard. Probably even quicker than flagging for Abbot in general.

main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius