25 46.30%
  • Kobolds yes, Goblins no

11 20.37%
  • Goblins yes, Kobolds no

1 1.85%
  • Neither, DDO doesn't want my money

17 31.48%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Kobolds for sure, maybe minotaurs, maybe lizardmen, yes to sprites as well.

Goblins are just ugly.
    Ghallanda (35): Vilas, Alphon, Whelm, Thaylan, Tyclmi, Amgine, Talc, Dedlee, Payle, Darell, Talenta, Zhen, Thrane, Arrith, Durdyn, Magefyre, Necrophil, Tulgey, Borogove, Hasugi, Shawal, Hailestorm, Branthan, Lightningbug, Bettercall, Elecktric, Zardu, Zergworthy, BrotherOf, Missadventer, Bytemy, Demogeorgia, Tizen, Warrcore, Permadeaf

Community Member

Hard No on both.

They are gimped races, and before you say. "Well you don't have to play one"

Think of all the ****ed off Racial completionists or people working towards Racial completionists you would be force to run a **** toon.

No Thank You.

Community Member

Moeballah
    Hard No on both.

They are gimped races, and before you say. "Well you don't have to play one"

Think of all the ****ed off Racial completionists or people working towards Racial completionists you would be force to run a **** toon.

No Thank You.
    That's what the store item, Wish for Memories is for so you don't have to play one, get a better excuse.

salmag
    Kalashtar, then Shifters

or

Shifters, then Kalashtar

after those

WF Scouts (basically, small WF).
    So it's no to kobolds for you, well I say NO to Shifters, NO to Kalashtars, NO to everything else YOU want.

I'd like to see both (Kobolds more than Goblins), but there isn't an unbiased "Yes" option to choose. Selecting Yes in this poll suggests I am happy to pay for the races, but Kobolds/Goblins have no impact on whether I continue my VIP subscription, and (given theirs generally weaker power levels) I'd prefer to see them as new starter races, with good tree options to make up for weaker base values (they start off poor, but with training they can achieve anything).
    Couldn't we have had a poll for Yes/Kobolds only/Goblins only/No, followed by another poll (based on the result of the first) of how we would like the choice to be implemented?
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Community Member

Default Some clarity, as to what I meant

Quote Originally Posted by glmfw1 View Post
    I'd like to see both (Kobolds more than Goblins), but there isn't an unbiased "Yes" option to choose. Selecting Yes in this poll suggests I am happy to pay for the races, but Kobolds/Goblins have no impact on whether I continue my VIP subscription, and (given theirs generally weaker power levels) I'd prefer to see them as new starter races, with good tree options to make up for weaker base values (they start off poor, but with training they can achieve anything).
    Couldn't we have had a poll for Yes/Kobolds only/Goblins only/No, followed by another poll (based on the result of the first) of how we would like the choice to be implemented?
    It is a totally fair critique, that I didn't really address Gold players in my poll, directly. As a Silver player, that is what I meant by having the players pay for them. If this was unclear, than my humblest apologies.

A secondary poll would probably add clarity to the questions, my bad.

As an aside, some seem genuinely hung up on my (obviously lacking) attempt at humor on option 4, I don't think whether my halfjoke was funny or not should detract from the legitimacy of the question put forward but, again, to each their own.

P.S. So, just to clarify the payment aspect, since I clearly didn't represent the interests of Gold players in my 4 options, when I suggest that the player base would pay DDO for these 2 races, the Gold players are paying for it inherently via their regular payments (not suggesting a bump in the cost of those payments, at all) & the Silver players, like me, would be paying for them in the same way that Silver players pay for everything else that they buy.

Is this more clear?

Where's the "No, DDO has too many racial past lives to grind out already" option?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tsotate View Post
    Where's the "No, DDO has too many racial past lives to grind out already" option?
    Not trying to be funny or sarcastic but if the game were designed around the ambitions of completionists than that would be satisfying for only some completionists & them, alone, as likely as not.

Sure, some completionists would keep playing the game after they have "won" the game but not all would & constraining the playable options for everyone else, for the perceived benefit of the completionists who may or may not keep playing after achieving their completionist objective would be a downturn in the game's longevity.

I don't want to "handwave" away anyone's thoughts or critiques but new content & not just adventure packs will add to the long term playability of DDO in my opinion, more than that actually, it will likely give it the chance to maintain that otherwise it wouldn't have as having nothing new to offer, as the years go by would make it increasingly difficult for DDO to survive.

I think that DDO is a great game but all of it's player bases interests need to be taken into consideration, not just any particular portion of it.

Community Member

Default Uncounted votes?

I am not sure all of the votes that are being cast are being counted. One friend of mine vote on this & when they voted "for" the inclusion of both of these races, the vote total before their vote was 18 & the total after their vote (long after, by now) is still 18.

Their vote was in favor of what I am proposing but whether for or against, all votes should be counted, right?

For all those willing to do so, please pair your vote with a comment of what your vote was, so that we can try & determine if the count is accurate or not.

Thanks, all.

Sure, we can have kobold PC and goblin PC. But it will have to be able to have the backward jumping skills of a kobold shaman before I'll buy.

Also, they need to have funny /dance1 and /dance2 moves and funny /flex emotes.

e.g. when a kobold with a kobold sentience gem flexes, says, "me has strong dragon blood, you do not!"
    when flexes in front of a dragon-born, "me dragon blooded better than you!"

When fighting an overwhelming force: "kobold needs a vacation! kobold over-worked over the last weekend already!"

When gaining levels: "kobold has an upgrade path! kobold feels stronger now and will one day be CEO!"
    Last edited by Tyrande; 11-22-2019 at 07:57 PM.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Default Not an accusation, DDO, but

In the interest of avoiding any among your playerbase wondering seriously if there is vote tampering in potentially inconvenient polls, it would be a good thing to take a look at your vote tabulating mechanism because I can tell you for a fact that a friend of mine who would (like me, we're both Silver players) pay out of pocket (gold players shouldn't be expected to, they pay their subscriptions) for the Kobold race as a PC, at least, voted in favor of the inclusion of both the Kobolds & Goblins & his vote never affected the vote total.

I won't make the accusation of poll tampering but one could be forgiven for thinking that it was a possibility when irregularities occur.

DDO is a great game & I do enjoy it, I just want to see more options for players that would extend the shelflife of DDO, by adding meaningful depth.

Regardless, I tried, It seems like there isn't overwhelming interest in these 2 races being added as PCs, so fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by heimdass View Post
    As an aside, some seem genuinely hung up on my (obviously lacking) attempt at humor on option 4, I don't think whether my halfjoke was funny or not should detract from the legitimacy of the question put forward but, again, to each their own.
    Attempts at humour in the poll options (unless the poll of a purely humorous nature) can actually skew results - making people answer differently or not at all. It generally works best to make the poll options simple and completely unambiguous and, if you want to inject humour/light heartedness, add the humour in the question (or in the case of DDO polls, in the first post on the thread).
    The poll creation on these forums doesn't really do much to help on these grounds, so the success of polls tends to rely a lot on outside knowledge of poll creation (resulting in people discussing the nature of the poll, rather than the results).

** Kobold brain sore from all the reading!
    Bettayne Brah'dukcc, Cleric of Lathander
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life

For DDO Queries, check out ddowiki.com; New to the game? Head to the Newbie Guide

Default Wot ?

Excuse me ?

No Hobgoblins...?

U no like Bugbear ?

Bolg: ' I cant believe they speak of Kobolds and Goblins before Orcs dad... '

Azog: ' Sigh...They have the Dwarven Bankers lobby kid... '

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZYEkdK5Gfc
    Last edited by Kutalp; 11-29-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by glmfw1 View Post
    Attempts at humour in the poll options (unless the poll of a purely humorous nature) can actually skew results - making people answer differently or not at all. It generally works best to make the poll options simple and completely unambiguous and, if you want to inject humour/light heartedness, add the humour in the question (or in the case of DDO polls, in the first post on the thread).
    The poll creation on these forums doesn't really do much to help on these grounds, so the success of polls tends to rely a lot on outside knowledge of poll creation (resulting in people discussing the nature of the poll, rather than the results).

** Kobold brain sore from all the reading!
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate the different perspectives. I probably could have put this across in a better way, sure.

I hope that we do get more races playable, as a general principle, I just happen to like both Kobolds & Goblins.

Cheers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kutalp View Post

Excuse me ?

No Hobgoblins...?

U no like Bugbear ?

Bolg: ' I cant believe they speak of Kobolds and Goblins before Orcs dad... '

Azog: ' Sigh...They have the Dwarven Bankers lobby kid... '

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZYEkdK5Gfc
    Personally, I'd enjoy both but I know that any progress will come slower than the playerbase would probably like so I focussed on Kobolds & Goblins, in my case.

As an aside, I find it strange that DDOs Bugbears are so small visually, most examples I've seen of them represent them as pretty massive people.

For Kobold fans this is long overdue & hard to justify why it hasn't happened yet,
    This is an old song. There are relatively few who would like to see a kobold player race based on past polls like this one. Those that want them though, REALLY want them. Your own poll is a prime example. You pretty much set it up (humor intended or not) to raise support for a kobold race. The fact that you have been a member since at least 2013, and possibly longer, and yet you have exactly (as of now) 10 posts on the forum and all 10 are in this thread.

However, even back when we got Dragonborn as a player race, they (SSG or Turbine) gave players a choice - a vote/poll like this one, as to what the majority would prefer. Dragonborn won pretty handily over kobolds, and yet prior to the poll there was rarely (if ever) a request for Dragonborn.

Anyway, I said no to kobolds and goblins. First, anyone who has ever played old school D&D cannot imagine a kobold being able to compete with humans, dwarves, elves, etc. in terms of power. Kobolds are the humanoid rats of sewers and wilderness, who use their large numbers to overwhelm weak parties and small outlying villages. Also, with all the quests wherein the party must slaughter entire tribes of kobolds, it would be awkward to have one in the party from a lore perspective.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    "Anyway, I said no to kobolds and goblins. First, anyone who has ever played old school D&D cannot imagine a kobold being able to compete with humans, dwarves, elves, etc. in terms of power. Kobolds are the humanoid rats of sewers and wilderness, who use their large numbers to overwhelm weak parties and small outlying villages. Also, with all the quests wherein the party must slaughter entire tribes of kobolds, it would be awkward to have one in the party from a lore perspective."
    To each their own, however I must point out that I think that your reasoning on their (Kobolds) ability to fight evenly with individuals or even parties of players is disputed by all of the occasions, already within DDO, where Kobolds are bosses & your other point re. the mowing down of massive numbers of Kobolds applies to many very formidable races/creatures just as much as it does to Kobolds, Beholder's even fit this category.

your other point re. the mowing down of massive numbers of Kobolds applies to many very formidable races/creatures just as much as it does to Kobolds, Beholder's even fit this category.
    It would only apply if beholders were a character race. That's what I mean by awkward.

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    It would only apply if beholders were a character race. That's what I mean by awkward.
    Should it be considered awkward, than, when Dwarves fight & kill other Dwarves or Elfs/Elfs etc.?

The quests aren't one for one, of course, but their are many examples of specie on specie violence, in-game

Should it be considered awkward, than, when Dwarves fight & kill other Dwarves or Elfs/Elfs etc.?

The quests aren't one for one, of course, but their are many examples of specie on specie violence, in-game
    You're really reaching. The comparison is no where near the same. And in many cases of elves/dwarves, there is either a cult involved or the elves/dwarves are drow/duergar. Anyway I like how you say "to each their own" but continue to try and argue minutia with anyone who disagrees with your opinion. Creating a poll should be to find out if there is support for an idea, not to try and force your idea.

Agree to disagree, I posted my opinion as I assume you wanted when you made the thread.

Default Yes to both

Yes to both and any other race! More free racial AP's plz!
    Khyberite

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast