Default Lesson Learned from Hardcore League...Make Death Great Again!!!

One take away I got from the Hardcore League is that: While Death is not Fun...the fear of Death added a lot of excitement.

On the main servers...in the game today...death has minimal consequences. There is no fear of death.

Reaper difficulty was invented to add challenge for the best players...and Reaper has made it more likely to die...but to what end? Recall, Rebuff, Repair and try again. Repeat until you succeed....maybe on a lower skull level.

I think SSG needs to add new meaning to DEATH in DDO. Maybe only Reaper difficulty deaths...since we don't want to unduly punish new players and drive them away.

I propose we add some additional death penalties for characters who die in Reaper.

Some Ideas:
    -Remove Resurrection Shrines from Reaper difficulty.
    -Disable Raise Dead/Resurrection spells from Reaper difficulty.
    -Give Characters who die in Reaper Difficulty a 1 hour death timer. That Character is locked out from questing for 1 hour (Or longer).

As a counter balance to these new death penalties in reaper: Scale down the difficulty in Reaper. Extend the range of unconsciousness from -10 to -100. Increase XP and Increase the named item drop rates.

Any other ideas to add some teeth to death in DDO?
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

Community Member

Well, you could replicate the main part of the Hardcore experience.

When you create a character, you have a chance of making it a Hardcore character. When you play:
    1. You see the "YOLO" icon that reminds you that death is permanent
    2. You can't pull items from the Shared Bank. (You can still get mail from your other characters, but unbound stuff only)
    3. When you die, you get whisked off by Mortality. You still get to offload your possessions to the shared bank.
    4. There are extra rewards, maybe cosmetics
    5. You don't have to transfer to another server to continue playing. Maybe you lose enough XP to go back to the beginning of your current level. Or the previous level. Or level 1. In any case, you can't just continue in the quest that killed you.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnvw View Post
    Well, you could replicate the main part of the Hardcore experience... When you create a character, you have a chance of making it a Hardcore character. When you play... death is permanent...
    This! If people are so keen on carrying on the experience, make an option to create enforced perma-death "hardcore" characters on any server. It wouldn't affect anyone else, and those that wanted to have that experience could carry on. Of course, I imagine "hardcore" characters would be less inclined to group with the power-zergers, but newer players might actually find it a good experience grouping with a "hardcore" character, just because they would be more careful about dying and take things slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Loromir View Post
    -Disable Raise Dead/Resurrection spells from Reaper difficulty.
    take away legitimate character abilities/spells from Clerics, Druids and Favoured Souls.
    Seems like a bad idea to go further away from D&D rules.

-Give Characters who die in Reaper Difficulty a 1 hour death timer. That Character is locked out from questing for 1 hour (Or longer).
    That is a stupid idea/suggestion. You want me to stop playing the game.
    So if I die in reaper, I would log off and go do something else for at least one hour. I'm now not playing DDO, but instead playing MTG for several hours, perhaps I'll come back tomorrow
    I can no longer group with the levelling group I was in for an hour, and then I am 1-2 levels behind them for the rest of that life. That will likely lead to more deaths etc.

2014 DDO Players Council

One take away I got from the Hardcore League is that: While Death is not Fun...the fear of Death added a lot of excitement.

On the main servers...in the game today...death has minimal consequences. There is no fear of death.
    Yes, it was permadeath. But that's nothing you couldn't do on any of the normal servers any time you wanted.

There's no fear of death mostly because most players most of the time are not trying to challenge themselves. With the massive power creep, player power is vastly out of whack with quest difficulty. HC forced people to play without their dozens of PLs, RPs, & accumulated gear, so it reduced player power. But players can self-nerf anytime they want, if they really want to; no special server is needed. Just roll up a new alt, and don't twink it out with hand-me-down uber-gear. But the devs put us in this situation, it's really up to them to fix it, not temporarily hide it with an event or prevent players from using they characters they have developed.

So far as I can tell, the main benefit of HC was having a massive population all playing together, like it was years ago before so much player population decline. You wouldn't need a special event or gimmicks, if we had a server merge.

...Character is locked out from questing for 1 hour (Or longer).
    That, in particular, is a horrible idea. You want to deliberately tell people, "Don't play our game anymore now!"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Community Member

Jesus god no. The hardcore server was a novelty and not a daily prescription, absolutely nobody would of played if death there meant the character they had been building for years would also be deleted.

Reaper itself was a very bad idea as it punish's certain play styles while rewarding others, people only run it because it gives better first time XP and reaper XP is permanent. You want to see reaper instantly vanish, make it's first time bonus the same as elite while making reaper points reset every TR.