Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hardcore League Season 2

I really enjoyed participating in the Hardcore League event, even though I didn't reach any of the designated goals. I made three attempts, with the third attempt being the most successful. The last character I created this past Wednesday evening reached Level 18 without dying, but I ran out of time Friday night as the Hardcore server shut down. So, I look forward to Season 2 now that I have a better understand of how much time reaching any of the goals will require. Leveling to 20 may seem easy, but doing so without dying once takes some focus.

Thoughts on Season 2:

* The permadeath ruleset should not be changed for Season 2 as the threat of dying even once is what gave the event its edge and made old content exciting again.

* The goals and rewards for Season 2 should be expanded from Season 1 to maintain player interest in the Hardcore League. I would include specific "challenges" such as completing a previously non-timed quest within a certain amount of time, defeating a hard boss or finishing a difficult quest optional only on Elite or Reaper, or running a risky quest (or even raid) solo for cosmetic rewards. These challenges would be similar to the extensive Achievement systems in other MMOs such as Age of Conan (http://joharaoc.eu/achievement).

* As the players are now more prepared for the next Season, adding Epic/Legendary goals with rewards would give players a reason to run quests above Heroic. Expanding the Reaper goals would also help maintain interest in Hardcore League as reaching Level 20 shouldn't be as demanding on the players the next time around.

* Please bring back the Eyes of Darkness and Bloody Footprint cosmetic items for Season 2 and subsequent seasons. Like the Night Revels or Crystal Cove events, there should be the opportunity to earn missed rewards from previous seasons as well as new cosmetics. Players may only be able to choose one of the available rewards for reaching a goal, but participants should be eventually be able to acquire all of the event's cosmetics including from past seasons if they did not have the chance to participate during Season 1 or are new to DDO.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Hardcore_League

* Run a generous sale on Astral Shards right before the Hardcore League season to encourage players to buy Guild airships and amenities. The "Open Guild for All" guild really made a difference in my Hardcore League experience as having access to a fully-stocked Daedalean Kraken on a limited time 90-day server made game play much easier, especially at the lower levels.

I would appreciate everyone else's input on these suggestions, as well as their own ideas for Season 2.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    * Run a generous sale on Astral Shards right before the Hardcore League season to encourage players to buy Guild airships and amenities. The "Open Guild for All" guild really made a difference in my Hardcore League experience as having access to a fully-stocked Daedalean Kraken on a limited time 90-day server made game play much easier, especially at the lower levels.

I would appreciate everyone else's input on these suggestions, as well as their own ideas for Season 2.
    I think that this idea is very amusing, but not many would fall for it. A sale after the server opens would be much more useful, but SSG knows people are going to demand AS, so why give away money?

I heard someplace that there was Dev talk of HCv2.0 coming in December. My only thought it that this is too soon. Don't allow the HC idea to become less special by trotting it out too often. IMHO, this is a twice-per-year idea at most. Even then, that may be too much for a three month runtime. If another VIP Special Event Idea can be brought out to intersperse with the Permadeath idea - fantastic! But don't let the HCL become commonplace and just another server, albeit one with special rules.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    I think that this idea is very amusing, but not many would fall for it. A sale after the server opens would be much more useful, but SSG knows people are going to demand AS, so why give away money?
    No vendors.

Watch DDO point sales skyrocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I heard someplace that there was Dev talk of HCv2.0 coming in December. My only thought it that this is too soon. Don't allow the HC idea to become less special by trotting it out too often. IMHO, this is a twice-per-year idea at most. Even then, that may be too much for a three month runtime. If another VIP Special Event Idea can be brought out to intersperse with the Permadeath idea - fantastic! But don't let the HCL become commonplace and just another server, albeit one with special rules.
    AFAIK, and according to the HC wrapup FAQ, the December hardcore "after party" is the window to transfer characters off of hardcore to softcore servers, not another hardcore league event.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

I'd like to see some bug fixes so we don't lose the result of our considerable hours lost due to a game bug.

Would also be great from a competitive perspective if they don't release new content a few days before the end of the event.

December-ish is the rough designation to clear out old toons, they said we would have a couple
    of days to empty banks and so on.

I am not too keen on the pay to win idea of having sales of crystals to encourage 'buying' advantage.

I do think that any guild should get a free mid-range guild ship and start at lvl 20.
    That is due to the short time you have to run a guild and the fact that any guild items
    you pay for go 'Poof' in 3 months. - unfair to have to pay for something that should stick around
    but won't.

Any dungeon that automatically kills you as part of the story, thus ending your run should be shut down
    to prevent accidents.

Kill the death announcements for players under level 6 or so.

just have a ticking death counter....click, another one bites the dust.

NEW ------->>> put a bank in the dead lands that only the dead can use....why???
    glad you asked :-D
    Put a trash loot vendor there as well to convert junk to gold.
    So when you die you can drop your gear/loot in it then free up space by deleting the character.
    That bank would only be accessible by dead toons. So it will not allow you access to the stuff until the event is
    over but will help players clear out the dead without losing stuff. Just keep one dead toon in the land to collect the bank stuff
    after it is done.

allow premium players to play - up to them to buy hard/elite keys if they don't want to grind...

periodically spawn various lvl 1 undead randomly in the city during the day. it helps set the mood, and will fill the inns
    make it lvl 1-3 at night - now we are talking real D+D everyone hiding in the inn at night so they
    don't get killed during a bathroom break....PERFECT.

Let us make Hardcore 2 --SCARY

peace
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    The Hardcore League should only be a yearly event, otherwise players may stop being active on the regular servers.

Community Member

The Hardcore League should only be a yearly event, otherwise players may stop being active on the regular servers.
    Like your thoughts on hardcore. Also like the thoughts about adding danger to public areas...just awesome. But. Once a year? .....? I for one dont really care if your servers are dead. I dont group much except with my real friends anyways so maybe thats it but, ehhh. Id like a perma hc server. Want to make money? Have someone spend on a toon only to have it die and then spend on ANOTHER only to repeat the process. So yeah, I for one would love a permanent hc server.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Default Hardcore 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    Kill the death announcements for players under level 6 or so.
    I agree that the Level 2 deaths at the beginning were annoying…. but they got less over time, and keeping deaths popping up helped heighten the Tension (for us at least).

just have a ticking death counter....click, another one bites the dust.
    I like the idea of a visual running counter of deaths on the Server

NEW ------->>> put a bank in the dead lands that only the dead can use....why???
    That is a great idea… it was painful having to delete some people to keep the name going….

periodically spawn various lvl 1 undead randomly in the city during the day. it helps set the mood, and will fill the inns
    make it lvl 1-3 at night - now we are talking real D+D everyone hiding in the inn at night so they
    don't get killed during a bathroom break....PERFECT.

Let us make Hardcore 2 --SCARY

peace
    I'd buy that for a Dollar.....
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Having trouble going back... Maybe have to start over...
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Community Member

The only thing I might reconsider about the previous incarnation is the second tier of the reaper reward. 100k experience was not hard to achieve, either solo or in a group after you'd died a handful of times and learnt some basic lessons that had been forgotten due to regular server power creep. 400k though is a massive grind. I stopped playing halfway through the servers lifespan after achieving the 100k, because the next reward was not appealing enough to invest the time required. From what I saw of other peoples progression on the reaper leaderboard, others did the same. I don't know how many got the 400k in the end, I let my VIP run out so can't log in to check.

Maybe add a level 30 reward too. I imagine it would have been something like taking the level 20 scarf thing and adding a gold trim to it.

Community Member

Add class-based rewards to acknowledge those running as melee, which is way harder.

Shut off the pew-pew tree. There can be no hardcore with the pew-pew tree.

I like that there was something hard to achieve that only a very few people would be able to get. It's a goal that kept those people playing, and is rare enough that it is actually special (while not being impossible). Last I saw, about 15-ish people were able to get the reaper pet (though one person really overshot the requirements and got over 1 million rxp). Not everything has to be a achievable by everyone, basically turning it all into a participation prize (and I'm speaking as someone who basically missed the entire second month due to being stupid busy with real life).

Community Member

Add season 2 to the store for premium players.

Quote Originally Posted by MaeveTuohy View Post
    Add class-based rewards to acknowledge those running as melee, which is way harder.

Shut off the pew-pew tree. There can be no hardcore with the pew-pew tree.
    You know that most of the top 50 ranked on the HCS were not inquis, right?
    Your pew pew envy is misplaced and rather immature
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    I'd like to see some bug fixes so we don't lose the result of our considerable hours lost due to a game bug.

Would also be great from a competitive perspective if they don't release new content a few days before the end of the event.
    Especially when the server is level restricted so you cant run the new content even if so inclined
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunan View Post
    You know that most of the top 50 ranked on the HCS were not inquis, right?
    Your pew pew envy is misplaced and rather immature
    I have no envy for pew pew. Envy? Really? Maybe you were looking for a different word. I am playing one on the regular servers and it's fun, but pretty cruisey. All that firepower, all that safe distance. Nom, nom.

Any idea how you know that "most" of the highest ranked toons were not using the IQ tree?
    Last edited by MaeveTuohy; 11-17-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vryxnr View Post
    I like that there was something hard to achieve that only a very few people would be able to get. It's a goal that kept those people playing, and is rare enough that it is actually special (while not being impossible). Last I saw, about 15-ish people were able to get the reaper pet (though one person really overshot the requirements and got over 1 million rxp). Not everything has to be a achievable by everyone, basically turning it all into a participation prize (and I'm speaking as someone who basically missed the entire second month due to being stupid busy with real life).
    Agreed.

The achievements beyond getting to 20th held no allure for me, but I like very much that they have some which are very challenging for those who are looking for them.

They should schedule it between events, hardcore clashed with crystal cove AND Mabar.

One cant be in 2 places at once.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast