Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smash and Burn Random "Special Cargo" placement is BS

FFS trying to find 1 GD Special bleedin crate that is taking 2x as long to look for (and not find) as the whole rest of the quest is utter effing NON-Sense.

REALLY just want to throat punch someone out of frustration of jumping falling and not finding some STUPID effing RANDOM BS quest objective.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature". Mokune (Guild Leader of Pandora's Box on Khyber), Iquitz, Returning, Thaumat, Ketzerisch, Xhiron, Koanoak et al...

Tapping through doesn't work?
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

I should make those jumps a little easier. It's a surprisingly frustrating room, to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I should make those jumps a little easier. It's a surprisingly frustrating room, to be sure.
    While you're at it, maybe take a look at dungeon alert in that first long hallway. It's way too easy to pull mobs in the distance and have a problem on your hands. I typically don't run this quest and use the VIP skip for the saga because of (1) the jumps, and (2) dungeon alert.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadB123 View Post
    While you're at it, maybe take a look at dungeon alert in that first long hallway. It's way too easy to pull mobs in the distance and have a problem on your hands. I typically don't run this quest and use the VIP skip for the saga because of (1) the jumps, and (2) dungeon alert.
    On hardcore, the quest to skip in Cogs is the one with the mindflayer.

Mindblast, ooga-booga, nom-nom-nom.

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    Tapping through doesn't work?
    Not very well. You can tab onto them if you facing right at it and it's visible, but they aren't as easy to target as your ordinary object you can interact with.

The combination of finding the crates and hitting the switches does feel like a bit much IMO. Seems like one or the other would be sufficient.

Yeah, I'd say the dungeon alert is the biggest issue with the quest. It's particularly weird in that it seems the most punishing if you try to run the quest in the "right"/complete way using the puzzles. You can kind of manage the alert if you go through the big doors, but if you use the portal (ddoor) in the golem room it's darn near impossible to not aggro everything.

There's a lot to love in that quest, but the frustrations kind of overwhelm the fun ATM.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

I still skipped smash and burn. If I failed a mindblast save I used the harper pin and ddoored out. At least that's a protocol that works. Automatic red alert makes me feel helpless.
    Sabbath - Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    I still skipped smash and burn. If I failed a mindblast save I used the harper pin and ddoored out. At least that's a protocol that works. Automatic red alert makes me feel helpless.
    Not easy getting a harper pin in hardcore...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

I skip Smash & Burn every life:

1. Instant red alert at the start.
    2. Special Cargo random locations + extremely limited tab targeting.
    3. Mario jumping + switches + Forgewraiths.

All that frustration leads to ragequitting. Smash & Burn is cancer.
    Kobeyashi | Ying

Community Member

Backstops on the jumps would be nice...

This isnt just S&B. This is a problem with the engine itself and how it works in platforming situations. The buttons arent instantly responsive...there's an inertia factor that makes you speed up when you press it and then coast for a moment after you stop. This makes precision jumping much more difficult. Then factor in that, when accelerating quickly (ie when you jump), the client often stutters for a few frames, it makes precision and accuracy even harder.

Having something to "catch" you when you land...either a backstop, or a "landing strip" so you dont overshoot the platform easily...should be a standard design if you want to keep including platforming elements in new quests. Especially as non-optionals.

Put in some long ladders. We have much fun with those, too.

Cheers,
    Titus.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    This isnt just S&B.
    Is it wrong that when I read this line I had a quick flash-back to the M&M scene in Exit to Eden?

Anyways it would be nice in this quest if we could get to certain places and put down ropes or ladders so we only have to make each jump once. There's one rune, for me the last one, way up high that is a pita to get to because there seems to be a bit of invisible geometry slightly blocking it if i try to jump directly at it. However if I aim my character to jump parallel and slightly past it but swerve mid jump that's how I get around the invisible whats-it that will make my character face-plant on nothing and slide down.

I usually don't have trouble finding all the special cargo although its weird how you can't easily target them. Now getting to them once you've found them... that's when the frustration-headache sets in.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Not easy getting a harper pin in hardcore...
    Huh? Yes it was
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Community Member

This useful diagram should buy me at least 2.8 troll posts.

The whole quest takes 8 mins on EE on a top-power level 21 character on EE solo. Invis in, then climb and corkscrew around to jump over the first gate, bell the 2nd gate or break a collectible for key if you see it on way, kill boss, then do the above path for the chest.

Reapers make it take 23 mins solo on same level 21 character on R1, because they daisy chain aggro up through the platforms, so you have to kill everything to stop the game from locking up.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 11-15-2019 at 04:13 PM.

nooo!!! it is the frustration of flimsyfirewood's quests which keeps the ddo community alive and healthy!

if you make things 'easier', it will be amber temple all over again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graskitch View Post
    nooo!!! it is the frustration of flimsyfirewood's quests which keeps the ddo community alive and healthy!

Omfg, LOL! I should have known Smash & Burn was designed by our most beloved dev

Feather_of_Sun could never hold a candle to this guy even in his Ghostbane'd prime!

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

If you could give the mindflayer in there that exact dialogue, you'd be my hero.
    Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Graskitch View Post

Too late. I already nerfed it this morning. There's a ladder and a platform...

I should probably add a mindflayer or two.

Community Member

I should probably add a mindflayer or two.

Thank you for the laugh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast