Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

good info
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Been at it all day - now up to 5 feathers...had 2 complete runs through the entire area, all rares had no feathers in either run. Found one named item, ironically in the first chest of the day, none since.

Had 3 runs on the bounce with the dretch guy and his chest not having a feather

My luck sucks...

Community Member

I lucked into a horseshoe and using this path through the wilderness made farming feathers rather enjoyable. Thanks again for posting this.

Wilderness area is very well done. Autumn foliage and the lightning bugs are great touches. The horse is also pretty great.

Community Member

Something I did was run on heroic and reroll the loot, it costs only 1 shard, not 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    Start at the Keep and follow the red line. Be sure to pick up the Crest at the Spider rare, Lizard man rare, and then run to the tower for the bat crest. Ddoor when you get to the harpy rare and then follow the green line. Rinse and repeat. This is how I got the feathers for the four basic horses, this took me 3-4 hours.

Thanks to Guildies for helping to prefect the route.
    Thank you and your guild. You made this tons easier for me.

Community Member

Big thanks to everyone who worked on this guide.
    Knowing map and locations of rares had increased my farming speed considerably.

Question How do they look

This is how I got the feathers for the four basic horses, this took me 3-4 hours.
    Nice work! Thank you for sharing.

I dont want all Horses, but since you got them, could you please be so kind and post Screenshots how they look before I decide.

Is their size depending on the race that rides it?

Appreciate the answers

Cheers
    Aeron

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron1976 View Post
    could you please be so kind and post Screenshots how they look
    aren't the horses standing in the stable behind the vendor?

Thumbs up

If that is the case, my bad.

Only rushed past the Vendor yet to get to quests, tavern etc since I don't have enough tokens

Quote Originally Posted by Aeron1976 View Post
    Nice work! Thank you for sharing.

I dont want all Horses, but since you got them, could you please be so kind and post Screenshots how they look before I decide.

Is their size depending on the race that rides it?

Appreciate the answers

Cheers
    Aeron
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6265374
    The above link has the rest of the cosmetics as well

The Dun
    The Palomino
    The Buckskin
    The Chestnut
    Size compare, PDK vs Tiefling
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    ((__Insert conspiracy about character based array of preset flags to sabotage rare finding__))
    I like your theory, Ill add it to my list right between Einstiens pagiarisms and space lizards. Ive run this route over a dozen times, getting near two(?), and didn't know there was a harpy.(Ive since found it).
    Last edited by gnarledmaw; 11-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Community Member

My tips from running this. (thanks as some of these are directly stolen from above comments.)
    1) if you don't have Ddoor -- change your ED to shadowdancer for Ddoor. (recalling to get back to start will drop the crests from where ever you recalled.)
    2) running on HC instead of Epic will allow you to re-roll chests for a single AS instead of 9.
    (the only difference is that you can't get he named trinket, and the ingots you get are normal instead of epic. This is for crafting the weapons from the weapon smith. meh)
    3) getting the magic horseshoe to get faster mount is only in the Epic version of the quest chests, not wilderness - so don't fret it.
    4) don't follow the full path of the image in OP. Its faster to do just the southeast circle crabbing those rares and crests. (I ignored the SW watermill one at the top of the mountain, and DDoor'ed at Hallyas. ) if you ransack (hitting the same chest 7 times) before getting enough feathers, do the 2 ones just going north from city. Or:
    5) mounts are BTC, but feathers are BTA - and the HC version is level 3, so yea... runspeed of char is much more relevant than how geared/strong a char is for farming. (presuming you can kill the rares..)
    6) Shadow walk scrolls are your friend. run faster, and targeting the chests of the rares with 'q' from a distance - and if you can target chest, than there is a rare there to kill. sold Object Desire in House Phiarlan - 165pp
    7) if I had to do this again, I'd probably quickly create an iconic PDK 1 ftr, 1 barb, 13 bard. grab shadow walk, ddoor spells as bard, runspeed action boosts. and just run this with the free gear on Heroic difficulty.
    8) There is a lot of running here, so what would make this farming go fast? A mount.

Enjoy, Finn. thanks to OP, and all the helpful comments.

Community Member

I tried taking a few tacks and this is what I found worked best...

Bat Crest -> Snake Crest (lizardman rare) -> Griffin rare -> Spider Crest (spider rare) -> DDoor -> Dretch Rare -> Recall/Repeat

IMO it looks like the chance for a rare to spawn is something like 1/4....so the guaranteed Dretch spawn is worth 4x as much as everything else. Running from Bat->Spider with DDoor means you only need to go out, not out and back like going Spider->Bat. Even though you're giving up the Mudman spawn on that route, that's only 0.25 more rares per run for twice the distance to cover.

I get the sense feathers drop about 1/2 the time, so that's 30 rares needed on average for a horse. With 1.75 rares per run, you'd need to run this route about 17 times to get your horse. I'm running it in ~3 mins each (PDK swash without WC), so that's about an hour of grinding.

This kinda makes me wish that my recall worked in this area... Lol.
    Have y'all ever been to the Vault?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I tried taking a few tacks and this is what I found worked best...

Bat Crest -> Snake Crest (lizardman rare) -> Griffin rare -> Spider Crest (spider rare) -> DDoor -> Dretch Rare -> Recall/Repeat

IMO it looks like the chance for a rare to spawn is something like 1/4....so the guaranteed Dretch spawn is worth 4x as much as everything else. Running from Bat->Spider with DDoor means you only need to go out, not out and back like going Spider->Bat. Even though you're giving up the Mudman spawn on that route, that's only 0.25 more rares per run for twice the distance to cover.

I get the sense feathers drop about 1/2 the time, so that's 30 rares needed on average for a horse. With 1.75 rares per run, you'd need to run this route about 17 times to get your horse. I'm running it in ~3 mins each (PDK swash without WC), so that's about an hour of grinding.
    Yea, probably is better to have Spider be the end point and ddoor back.

swinging by to see if pinchy and long tallon are up is value for time imo.

what is also nice, is using the northmost server exit every time you leave the keep (like not going to the wild to farm, but going back to airship to sharn or w/e) - with 5 steps you can target to see if the old man crago chest is up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Finn42 View Post
    Yea, probably is better to have Spider be the end point and ddoor back.

swinging by to see if pinchy and long tallon are up is value for time imo.

what is also nice, is using the northmost server exit every time you leave the keep (like not going to the wild to farm, but going back to airship to sharn or w/e) - with 5 steps you can target to see if the old man crago chest is up.
    I tried both these approaches, yes...I think with the low % chance to spawn a rare, its not worthwhile. Pinchy and Longtalon are the opposite direction from the Lizardman Village from the Spider Crest, so its adding another leg to every run for 0.5 rares on average. Its a decrease in rares per minute, I think. I actually didnt even farm the Griffin rare at first, but that's close enough to the path to be worthwhile swinging up to check it. And that's just barely off the direct path.

I tried fishing for Crago too. Again, with the low chance to actually get one, its an inefficient approach. If you recalled back to the sewer grate and could immediately reset and re-enter, it would be the best way. But having to run back from the main Keep gate every time just makes it take too long per fish.

Start at the Keep and follow the red line. Be sure to pick up the Crest at the Spider rare, Lizard man rare, and then run to the tower for the bat crest. Ddoor when you get to the harpy rare and then follow the green line. Rinse and repeat. This is how I got the feathers for the four basic horses, this took me 3-4 hours.

Thanks to Guildies for helping to prefect the route.
    Thanks for posting this and the map! It worked great and I've gotten 2 horses and enough feathers for a third (using 2 different characters).
    Tequira Sunrise ~ Josielynne ~ Dawnalynn ~ Litzy so Ditzy

Community Member

Thanks for the map!

Where are the horseshoes?

Community Member

OP, thanks for this map. I ran 3 hours this morning and pulled 40 feathers. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by infael View Post
    Thanks for the map!

Where are the horseshoes?
    in the quests I believe. I haven't run them yet (want to do it on my upcoming TR) but that is where I have heard people have had them drop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast