Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Wanting to come back but I have concerns.

I have been eyeing DDO for a while and have been wanting to come back after like a 6 year break.

Is it worth it?
    So far the few people I do know who play have told me the game is basically Making new characters or rebirthing (not sure what its called) And builds. rinse and repeat. I have always been a 1 (maybe 2 rarely) character kind of guy and want to see and do everything from solo content to endgame group content. I don't tend to care about things like making the newest coolest build or tweaking with things constantly to change how this or that works.
    I already dislike how the MMO community has become basically "Google it and then come back" with everything. Builds, bossfights, everything has become cookie cutting.

I was heavily into EQ1 from 1999-2018 and recently gave it up due to a ton of reasons.
    I'm not trying to Insult anyone with this but so far I've basically been told things like "You'll be relevant if you build this way *Here's a ton of links and internet guides* Only X/Y is good. Builds builds builds and Min-maxing etc...

If the only way i'm going to be able to enjoy this game is by Min-maxing and building stuff straight out of a guide otherwise be shunned by the current playerbase for not "Getting gud" so to speak I just want to know in advance before I jump in.

That being said I'm not even fully sure how the mid-late and endgame of DDO plays out but i imagine there is group content & Raids and such. I would of course want to eventually do these things but if only the people who min/max are welcome then i'll pass.

So! my question.
    Do my "friends" just suck at bringing someone back into the game? OR is this how it actually is?

Thank you.

build doesnt matter that much for most content

the exception would be high reaper runs, you will see people specifically ask for tanks, healers, crowd controllers
    some raids still need a tank as well

and no, you dont HAVE TO reincarnate

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brachra15 View Post
    So far the few people I do know who play have told me the game is basically Making new characters or rebirthing (not sure what its called) And builds. rinse and repeat.
    Depends on who you ask.

I've been coming back after a pause of several years as well, and I'm sitting here with several low-level alts. So far i have lots of fun.

I've never been to end game - not then, not now - so I can't tell what happens there, but so far I have my own, personal fun at trying out things. Different play styles, for example. Bard is very challenging, so I'm currently sticking to my Elven Paladin again.

The community here, however, is neither much Newbie-friendly, not Low-level friendly.
    No-one in this forum here seems to want to help Newbies with low-level characters / alts. I've even read someone calling them "plebs".

Everyone here is far more vocal in everything Reaper. Reaper here, Reaper there, Reaper everywhere. For them, everything should be kind of deleted apart from Reaper, or so it sounds to me.

The voices of math students are very loud in this forum as well, I often get this impression.

Plus, no-one does role-playing anymore.

And zerging has become the norm in MMOs in general (not only this one here), I believe nowadays, especially since so many people moan about quests with a bad xp per minute ratio.

So far, I've had my very own, personal fun, because I don't listen to these people.
    This might change listen when I'll try grouping, because my gear and/or play style might be inefficient, but soloing and trying out quests is just fun for me so far.
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

So! my question.
    Do my "friends" just suck at bringing someone back into the game? OR is this how it actually is?
    Both.

For any person, for any group, they play the game to find the "fun" that they like. Your "fun" and my "fun" and their "fun" don't have to be the same. I know someone who likes to run on Casual/Normal with as many summons as possible, and just watch the chaos unfold - fun! Some people grind for the best loot, some chase the TR train, some just "do quests" and TR whenever it happens. Others get to end game (Heroic @ 20 or Epic @ 30) and park. So long as the person is having "fun", it's all good, and no one can tell them they're doing it "wrong" (and be taken seriously ).

The "reincarnation train" is for those who find "fun" in chasing the ever elusive max character. One more Reincarnation will get you a .X% boost in some facet of the build, and the next life will be that much stronger. And so on. Not for everyone, and there's plenty of "fun" in the game without focusing on that.

Mark Twain (aka Samuel Clemens) once said "There may be no sport in the world better than mountain climbing... for people who enjoy that sort of thing...". Just because they do, doesn't mean you have to. Or anything close to it.

Now, the other side of that coin is that it's ~really~ easy to think you don't really need a plan, and to "fake" a build toward failure by level 8-12 or so. Nothing worse than a great concept that doesn't prove to work in practice, and it just stalls out and can't fight its way out of a wet paper quest to save its life. (And, coincidentally, that's exactly what it can't do - save its own life.) So, yes, there are some builds* that people suggest as "strong" or "classic" or "reliable", and so then you see a lot of (in one form or another). You can throw in your own variations, and some of the good ones offer solid options, but if you go too far off the path... well, you're on your own.

But, yes, come back, find your own fun!

(* On that last point, if you want a spectrum of solid (if not "uber") builds, good place to start: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759353 All veteran screened, forum approved. )

hey there, just a quick heads up about your bad experiences towards new / low level players:

Unfortunately in any game that has been around for a while, the... well... for lack of a nicer word bitter vet fraction quite often becomes the first vocal minority you run into. Be assured, most players actually like or at least don't mind new players joining groups and asking questions, as long as they at least give the impression they are trying to learn and keep up. I for one love having new players around, keeps things fresh you kind of have a certain way of doing quests after a while, and then the new guy comes along and opens that one secret door you really should not open or pulls mobs from all over the place you really should not pull if you do not have what it takes or clicks on that one sparkly thingee you shouldn't click on and things get interesting again

Best course of action when you join or think about joining a group from the social screen is to be up front about being new or never having done a certain quest or not being sure what you need to do. I am sure that 99% of players, especially the less outspoken vets, will be happy to have you tag along and will show you a trick or two. Just don't get discouraged if you see 'some slight differences in performance' between your character and theirs. it's what a gazillion past lifes and horder gear will do.

In a way, in DDo it's the trip that matters, not the destination. this is where the reincarnating and so on comes in. you get better and stronger and more experienced with every life, and that's a good feeling.

Community Member

First of all, DDO always has been a min/max game, because of the DCs: you have to make sure to make the DC check, or otherwise don´t even go for it.

As far as char development goes, you can play the same class over and over again, but with all the build options (race, enhancement trees, epic destinies, maybe splash 2 lvls of another class, multiclass a little) you can spent years trying them all out.

The rest depends on the ppl you play with, if you join or open pub grps, ppl usually dont care a lot about how efficient your build is. Unless you join a R10 grp, which I dont recommend for the first day of your comeback

Community Member

I have been eyeing DDO for a while and have been wanting to come back after like a 6 year break.

Is it worth it?
    So far the few people I do know who play have told me the game is basically Making new characters or rebirthing (not sure what its called) And builds. rinse and repeat. I have always been a 1 (maybe 2 rarely) character kind of guy and want to see and do everything from solo content to endgame group content. I don't tend to care about things like making the newest coolest build or tweaking with things constantly to change how this or that works.
    I already dislike how the MMO community has become basically "Google it and then come back" with everything. Builds, bossfights, everything has become cookie cutting.

I was heavily into EQ1 from 1999-2018 and recently gave it up due to a ton of reasons.
    I'm not trying to Insult anyone with this but so far I've basically been told things like "You'll be relevant if you build this way *Here's a ton of links and internet guides* Only X/Y is good. Builds builds builds and Min-maxing etc...

If the only way i'm going to be able to enjoy this game is by Min-maxing and building stuff straight out of a guide otherwise be shunned by the current playerbase for not "Getting gud" so to speak I just want to know in advance before I jump in.

That being said I'm not even fully sure how the mid-late and endgame of DDO plays out but i imagine there is group content & Raids and such. I would of course want to eventually do these things but if only the people who min/max are welcome then i'll pass.

So! my question.

Thank you.
    Welcome
    I think you can have fun , u dont need to be maxed to have fun

Which server?
    As vip or premium ???

See you
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    KVP Korthos Village People

Community Member

is this how it actually is?
    Having just come back from 2013, a six year break like yourself, I feel obligated to admit that it is. But it doesn't have to be.

I found a non-zerging Guild on Ghallanda that doesn't focus solely on the meta, where no one cares if my build is subpar. Where the game is about characters and teamwork.

I suggest you do the same, make some new friends that play the way you do, while keeping your old ones.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. And welcome back! Gimp
    Last edited by Fenrisulven7; 11-10-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Thumbs up

I just came back after being gone about 5 years or so... When I stopped playing the Iconic toons had just came out.. I have been having a great time making some new friends.. I left one of my newer low level toons as guild leader... And joined a bigger more active guild.. Trying to get back used to playing My 2 main toons.. No one can decide for you give it a try and see how it works for you...
    Welcome Back..

You could fall into the min/max trap or you could get creative with builds, there are plenty of options out there to help you put together a fun build. Here is one example from Strimtom:

A build that focuses on the use of the little used chain weapon - very creative!
    Strimtom has also experimented with snowball throwing builds.
    Voodu Spice, who has hundreds of YouTube videos as well is well known for a Druid tank build.

There is plenty of room for putting together interesting builds that work well.
    I personally tend to go with an orthodox build if I am trying a new class and once I get to know the class I start getting creative with it.
    I have 4 characters that I run regularly and I'll shift between the two approaches with each new build.

You hear people say min/maxing is the only way - but it is not.
    You can put together any character you want, the more people you talk to, the more interesting - very viable - builds you will find out there.
    Good places to go to find out of the box builds are a general chat group on the server you are on (Orien has the 'Titan' chat group) or the DDO Discord server.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

This game is what you make it. Don't let others dictate how to play this game. Its all about fun, maximize yours.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

Is it worth it?
    Yes it is if you find it fun and entertaining!

This ticks me off no end that people say "play this way or else you are useless" it is so wrong it's not even funny! You play HOW YOU WANT TO PLAY! Period. Will it be viable in end game? Will it be viable in Reaper? Will it be viable in epics? Who knows! You build for how you want to play and want you want to play. Some builds are gimp through heroic levels and become insanely powerful once in to the epic levels.

As for the reading part, unfortuantley sometimes there is so much information that somebody is asking that it is easier to link to the wiki instead of writing it all out all over again.

See above and non taken :P

Again see above.

I play at all sorts of level ranges though mostly in heroic levels due to being on the TR hamster wheel. Most raids are fine for gimpy characters on normal difficulty on higher difficulties then expect to die/fail without decent gear etc but all of this comes in time and by playing the game. There is tons of good items outside of raids that can be used as placeholders until you feel ready to join raids etc. PLAY HOW YOU WANT TO PLAY AND NOT DICTATED BY SOMEBODY ELSE!

With all of that being said... welcome back and enjoy!

Depending on what server you play you might find help in advice chat channels and similar things.

Stoner81.

Community Member

Thank you all for the responses

I'm off to decide if im going to stick with it then.

Its worth mentioning there is also a DDO channel on Discord. It can get a bit rowdy and random at times, but is generally very welcoming to genuine new players if you have questions or need a bit of quick in-game advice.

As far as new-player friendly, I imagine going for the default current server would put you in a place where there are more people in the same boat as you, rather than joining a server that hasn't been default since before Menace came out, and finding a mostly veteran group of players.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by blabla34543543 View Post
    First of all, DDO always has been a min/max game, because of the DCs: you have to make sure to make the DC check, or otherwise don´t even go for it.
    Well, that's partly true. For Reaper and some Elite content, you do need to be min/maxed. However, if you're interested in flower sniffing on lower difficulties, it can be quite fun to play a variety of builds. There are some "wrong" builds that are a struggle to play above normal or hard, but if you're in it to play the content not grind a character, you can definitely get through content on normal or hard and have a fun time. The problem will be grouping for lower difficulties, but you'll probably be able to solo it find a guild. With the recent experience changes running lower difficulties doesn't entirely scuttle experience payouts, so you could always toss up a LFM even if your character isn't Chainsaw Deathman the level 30 genocide.
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0 (out of date as of U42.4, needs testing for new values)

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blabla34543543 View Post
    If you don't play a character with DC's, you don't have to worry about those See Inquisitor for an easy example, although there are many types (and even blast-casting works at 1/2 off if you don't throw Reflex stuff at Evasion mobs). Many melees as well, at least prior to level 29.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Well, for the flower sniffers, most of the game takes place in sewage tunnels and rotting dungeons as the name suggests, just sayin´.

Community Member

There are 14 difficulty settings, min-maxing is not needed for most and arguably not all of them

Lots of great content to enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    Why should i use all my neural cells when i can go inqui and go pew pew pew ???

Thank you all for the responses

I'm off to decide if im going to stick with it then.
    Just go wisdom to hit/dmg FVS inquisitive falconry, can't go wrong with that.

At least in a party you can still be useful since no DCs involved in healing.
    If not, you can self heal.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

I never understand topics like these... IT"S A FREE GAME! If you want to know if it's worth it just install the game and try it yourself. Others can't tell you what is worth it for you If you like it keep playing... if you don't like it uninstall it again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast