Default Is There a More Advanced Character Creation Option??

I know that when you are creating a character you can customize a lot, and there is an advanced optionto choose feats and proficiencies, but I can't find a way to pick and choose my starting spells. At all. I guess I can't do that If I create a Cleric and choose a domain??? If I don't choose a domain can I choose the specific spells?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolDNDGuy82 View Post
    I know that when you are creating a character you can customize a lot, and there is an advanced option to choose feats and proficiency, but I can't find a way to pick and choose my starting spells. At all. I guess I can't do that If I create a Cleric and choose a domain??? If I don't choose a domain can I choose the specific spells?
    I might be wrong here as I don't play Divine Casters often, but if memory serves, Clerics know all their spells the moment they reach a sufficient level to use them. No need to pick them except while preparing them for use at a tavern or a rest shrine.
    Domain spells are granted entirely on the combination of the chosen Domain and your character level, granted in the form of a feat selected at levels 2, 5, 9 and 14
    Paladins are in a similar boat with a different spell list.
    Favored Souls DO select specific spells when the character is created and when they level up, as they function more like Sorcerers than Clerics.

Edit - If you want to check to see what spells you have after creation, open your Character Sheet (C by Default) and select the "Spells" tab to see what you can socket.
    If you'd like to see what spells Clerics can use here's the list from the DDO Wiki.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Cleric_spells

And if you want to see what your specific Domain will grant when you choose it at level 2, and then later as your domain power grows, here's the list, also from the Wiki.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Domain

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by LTForge; 11-09-2019 at 05:41 PM.

I can't find a way to pick and choose my starting spells.
    Unlike the PnP version where you'd look at a list of all the spells they can choose to use while you're rolling your character up, the game moved that to after you've created your character. Once in game, it's up to you to choose which one's you want to put in your spell slots to actively use.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

Thank you for the fast response! It's very helpful, and unfortunate at the same time. It seems as though my goal for my characters is incompatible with this game system. That's not a deal breaker, as I can still work around the system and simply not use anything I have within my power to refuse. I was hoping to have the game system eliminate some of the legwork I need to do.

But no matter! I shall carry on as planned and come up with the appropriate work around as needed. What I intend to do is create and use characters following the D&D Basic Red Box rules. It's gonna be a broken way to play, but it's gonna kind of almost work. Sort of. And I look forward to the adventure.
    Last edited by OldSchoolDNDGuy82; 11-09-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Ahh, yep. DDO is considerably more flexible than its source material in some regards, particularly when it comes to spell-casting, what with spell-points instead of spell-slots and all that. Luckily if you intend to roleplay a more faithful adherence to a domain, it's actually very little in the way of legwork and if you don't care about being the be-all-end-all of "meta" it's a pretty rewarding experience.

If you haven't already I highly recommend looking for a role-playing guild elsewhere on the forums to help get in with other like-minded individuals, it'll make the experience that much more complete.

Good luck and have fun!

... <snip> Old School DND Guy ...
    K, I think we've found the problem.

DDO is not any version of D&D that you've played before. Think of it as a brand new edition, D&D 6.e. (For a bit more, see link in my sig re "The basics of DDO").

Clerics do, indeed, have access to ALL spells, and can change them to suit, both between and even during quests. You just have to drop by a Tavern (or a rest shrine in a quest) to slot/change them.

As for Domains, you don't choose them until Level 2. In DDO, they are not for lay priests.

Also, be aware that for many casters, (and some non-), some spells are gifted via Enhancements. Plus, there are also SLA's, aka "Spell-Like Abilities", which work like spells but cost much less power to cast.

Have a look at FvS, the play style is very much like Clerics, but in my opinion: far new player friendlier. The class scales nicely which is also important for new players.

DDO is FAAAASTT.

It isnt obvious at first, but it becomes clear in +10-14 levels .

So.. when given an option, it is always best to take things that scale well. There are some remnants of a turn based system here and there, i think the Devs tried to be as authentic as possible before realizing that Real Time is going to really change everything .

A common example is new players ignoring action boosts, basically giving themselves a hard time when ever rednamed enemies with DR or Regeneration show up.

Another one for casters is to take Maximize early, even if it will cost you a ton more spell points, but using it carefully can help you with mob packs and bosses. You can apply metamagic to each spell and each action bar slot separately, basically you can use spells with unique combination of metas on them.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    K, I think we've found the problem.

DDO is not any version of D&D that you've played before. Think of it as a brand new edition, D&D 6.e.
    Yes, I am aware. The game plays very well and I think it's perfect as is, but I have decided to take on the challenge of playing as close to the BECMI system as DDO will allow. This is just for the fun of it and I have a lvl 7 Wizard I can go back and play when I've had my fill of the challenge.

Thank you for the links, though! I am going to read them over the next coupe of days. I'm sure it's all super useful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Have a look at FvS, the play style is very much like Clerics, but in my opinion: far new player friendlier.
    Thanks for the tip! I'll look it up and maybe give it a go. It's gotta be better than cutting my DDO teeth on a Wizard. That was... well... it sure was!

Yes, I am aware...
    When I first hit these boards, I had a pen-n-paper-based preconception of a reprise of my own favorite character from 3rd ed, a Fighter/Cleric/Rogue - do a little healing, do a little trapping, do a little fighting, just like on tabletop. And good folk told me (some less gently than others - tough love) that it simply would not work. But that's what I wanted, so I tried it. Made it to level 8, altho' he clearly was failing by 6-7.

Close to 8 years later, he's now level 10 Rogue/Ranger and a nostalgic mule, but only thanks to a Cleric revamp that issued all "Clerics" a free +# Heart to change some stuff around. Seemed like the right use for it at the time.

I guess I have a twitch when I see someone walking in to the same stuff I waded through those many years ago, and for the same reasons. But it was a learning process - no matter the outcome, I'm sure you will have learned much as well.

Haff fun stomin da cassul!
    o/

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by LTForge View Post
    ...Clerics know all their spells the moment they reach a sufficient level to use them. No need to pick them except while preparing them for use at a tavern or a rest shrine.
    Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by LTForge View Post
    Domain spells are granted entirely on the combination of the chosen Domain and your character level
    DDO "Domains" show very little similarity to actual D&D Cleric Domains; DDO doesn't give Clerics any Domain spells.

Instead of the 18 Domain spells they should get, Clerics at best get 3 SLAs, or maybe 2, 1, or none at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs