Default Allow temp delevelling to play with lower level friends?

I wish there was a way to make it easier to group with friends anytime they log in.
    In many other games most players are max level almost always making that much easier.
    In DDO is often really hard as being different levels makes all the difference and very often prevents grouping. Alts are an option but not very popular for many reasons right now.
    Even in epics when running low epics on R1 means the level 28 friend that just logged in cannot join.

With a small playerbase getting those players to actually play together is probably a good way to retain revenues longer.

A partial solution to this issue might be something like this:
    - As you level up a "snapshot" is made each level of your characters worn gear, feats, enhancements, hotkey bars, spent reaper points, twists etc. E.g. when you level to 11 a level 10 snapshot is made just prior to leveling.
    - At any time you may "delevel" to such a snapshot to play the snapshot.
    - If the snapshot wore gear that is not in your inventory or bank you will have an empty slot and get a warning.
    - While playing a snapshot character you may only enter a quest if there is at least one non-snapshot character in it.
    - Any xp earned while playing a snapshot is simply added to your total xp to be used as you leave the snapshot to return to your real level.
    - When you TR all snapshots are removed.
    - When you ER all snapshots above level 19 are removed.
    - [Possibly too strong and prone for abuse]: When playing a snapshot you may get a first time bonus for running quests below level 26 again up to 3 times and not on the same day if at least one character in the group is not a snapshot, is in the zone when xp is earned and is running the quest for the first time that life. (level 26+ quests are left out as deleveling to play those makes little sense as even a level 30 will be in BB range).

Quite a bit of work and still only a partial fix but it would certainly make running with friends much more accessible.

Comments and (better) ideas are most welcome.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 11-09-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

I would love some form of this in game. Most of my friends play far less than I do and I wish there was some way to play with them without penalizing or stopping progression completely on a character.
    Since the games loot already scales to a level and the game already keeps track of when you pick up feats, it would make sense to me if the game could simply auto-scaleback the gear to fit the new level and lock out feats you wouldn't have by that point as well. Not sure how it would handle the Enhancements though.

Even if I earned diminished exp, even down to 0 and no loot worth mentioning from running the quests, as long as I could still play my main character without screwing them over, I'd be perfectly happy.

I presume this is something of an engineering issue that's made damn near if not totally impossible due to the way everything's built, but hey I support the idea.
    Last edited by LTForge; 11-09-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I wish there was a way to make it easier to group with friends anytime they log in.
    In many other games most players are max level almost always making that much easier.
    In DDO is often really hard as being different levels makes all the difference and very often prevents grouping. Alts are an option but not very popular for many reasons right now.
    Even in epics when running low epics on R1 means the level 28 friend that just logged in cannot join.

With a small playerbase getting those players to actually play together is probably a good way to retain revenues longer.

- As you level up a "snapshot" is made each level of your characters worn gear, feats, enhancements, hotkey bars, spent reaper points, twists etc. E.g. when you level to 11 a level 10 snapshot is made just prior to leveling.
    - If the snapshot wore gear that is not in your inventory or bank you will have an empty slot and get a warning.
    - While playing a snapshot character you may only enter a quest if there is at least one non-snapshot character in it.
    - Any xp earned while playing a snapshot is simply added to your total xp to be used as you leave the snapshot to return to your real level.
    - [Possibly too strong and prone for abuse]: When playing a snapshot you may get a first time bonus for running quests below level 26 again up to 3 times and not on the same day if at least one character in the group is not a snapshot, is in the zone when xp is earned and is running the quest for the first time that life. (level 26+ quests are left out as deleveling to play those makes little sense as even a level 30 will be in BB range).

Quite a bit of work and still only a partial fix but it would certainly make running with friends much more accessible.

I do like the sound of this and as you say it's something that has recently seen to more common in other mmorpgs. My major worry though is the likely amount of work I see to create this would be terrorfying with huge risk of breaking something, this is also based on how hard it is to balance DDO compared to other mmorpgs out there. Also any LR hearts would need to be factored into this, ED changes and most importantly what happens if you no longer have access to one of those classes eg you went from vip to premium but had since done a class change of +1 etc.

Community Member

yes good idea

Community Member

I'd support it the other way around.
    Much easier to balance.

Getting THEM to temporarily level up to YOUR level.

No need to worry about them having access to certain enhancements nobody should have at that level.
    No need to worry about them having access to some broken piece of equipment that doesn't properly scale down.
    No need to remove anybody's spells or feats.
    No need to worry about epic destinies on an heroic character either.

Scale everything up to your current level, let them come along, but receive experience in an amount they'd normally receive for completing quests of their original levels in the same amount of time.

You're not hindering their progress - they're leveling at the same pace as if they weren't buffed.
    They're not hindering yours - you're using the same character as before, after all.

They certainly won't be as good or as powerful as a fully fleshed out character of that same level, but giving them comparable stats will at least let them play the numbers game.

For caster classes, generate a spell list players will agree with. It might not make everyone happy, but it'll be okay for a few sessions' worth of play.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post

/signed

Guildwars 2 uses a deleveling system as well to allow cross level play.... might help fill up those empty lfms.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

SWTOR uses a buffing up to a certain level system in most cases. But that's very difficult because of the different kinds of gear.

For DDO I could inly imagine a similar thing with the base stats ...
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !