Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default How about a Classic Pre-MOTU Server?

How about a Classic Pre-MOTU Server? Permanently on update 13.

Quote Originally Posted by danlan View Post
    Might be a neat thing to see...but I suspect an uncorrupted version of pre-motu code doesn't exist.
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Loromir View Post
    Might be a neat thing to see...but I suspect an uncorrupted version of pre-motu code doesn't exist.
    It might just require turning off the fatesingers as there is no epic levelling or ED access without them.

Been proposed by players a gazillion times but no one from SSG has ever addressed it to my knowledge.
    "A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one." - Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Give them ideas on how to make money with a pre-MOTU server. They aren't going to make it just for kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat
    Been proposed by players a gazillion times but no one from SSG has ever addressed it to my knowledge.
    I think I remember Severlin and Cordovan discussing something like this, but it sounded like it's never happening. Reading between the lines, it seemed like they didn't know how to make money off of it. It might have just been the generic idea of a legacy server though and not pre-MOTU specifically.
    Last edited by GramercyRiff; 11-08-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GramercyRiff View Post
    Give them ideas on how to make money with a pre-MOTU server. They aren't going to make it just for kicks.
    *Charge an initial fee for access(account wide, obvi)
    *Make it VIP-only(like HC)
    *Provide dramatically-improved XP boosts(for a price) to provide fast progression

That last one is to help server population. No one who's ground out triple completionist is going to pop over to a throwback server and do it all the hard way a second time. But if you offered, say, +100% the first time and 200-300% available with potions, you might very well get some people willing to spin up an alt over there.

Quote Originally Posted by GramercyRiff View Post

I think I remember Severlin and Cordovan discussing something like this, but it sounded like it's never happening. Reading between the lines, it seemed like they didn't know how to make money off of it. It might have just been the generic idea of a legacy server though and not pre-MOTU specifically.
    Maybe the Hardcore server was the closest thing we will ever get to a true legacy server.
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

Leave the past in the past. It would not be fun the second time around.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Do it, and then also keep the regular servers as is. We can then get an even more clear picture of the disconnect between ForumDDO® vs the entirety of the player base. The HC server showed this disconnect on such matters to be pretty significant, to the point where the threats of mass exodus and claims of faster attrition on this specific issue were greatly exaggerated. It also showed alot more people favored playing together over clinging to previous gains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

/not signed

Go back to an age when tomes were lost upon TRing?
    Even my wolf does not like the old enhancement system and wishes for the new version that came with MotU.

Create a version that pays the bills and is thinking out of the box more than a simple return to pre MotU?

Community Member

I wouldn't want to go back to the stone age where we had no enhancement trees or lost tomes. Honestly, the old system for prestige classes kind of bit.

However, a progression server where we start with the launch cap, and then we move up to old levels caps every few months would be a lot of fun IMO. I would sub up again to check that out. It's worked out quite well for EQ and for LoTRO, I don't see why it wouldn't work here. Everyone starting over was half the fun of the HC server. There are some mid level raids I will probably never get to see without something like that.
    Last edited by yfernbottom; 11-08-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by yfernbottom View Post
    However, a progression server where we start with the launch cap, and then we move up to old levels caps every few months would be a lot of fun IMO. I would sub up again to check that out. It's worked out quite well for EQ and for LoTRO, I don't see why it wouldn't work here. Everyone starting over was half the fun of the HC server. There are some mid level raids I will probably never get to see without something like that.
    +1
    Good ideas...could use some polishing but you have something there.

Maybe a temp server that gates level cap with each month opening up a new level?
    Once the server reaches 30, it closes down?
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-08-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Meh.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

the hardware doesn't like it when Lam is up.

the hardware doesn't like it when HC was up.

I dont like it when the hardware doesn't like something else being up ...

Here is Cordovan replying to a Thread I made back in 2018 about a progression/TLP server similar to what Everquest has done to enormous financial success as well as publicity success.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6070384

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarnessaja View Post
    Here is Cordovan replying to a Thread I made back in 2018 about a progression/TLP server similar to what Everquest has done to enormous financial success as well as publicity success.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6070384
    The big difference between DDO and games that have done progression servers is the level range. Each time EQ would release a new expansion, they'd up the level cap, because everyone was already at the then-cap. It doesn't work for DDO because of TR, where it's normal/expected for everyone to be at different ranges.

It's a neat idea to be sure, but hard to apply to DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by TestPilot View Post
    The big difference between DDO and games that have done progression servers is the level range. Each time EQ would release a new expansion, they'd up the level cap, because everyone was already at the then-cap. It doesn't work for DDO because of TR, where it's normal/expected for everyone to be at different ranges.

It's a neat idea to be sure, but hard to apply to DDO.
    I don't agree. There have been multiple several paged threads over the past few years that have openly discussed this specific 'issue' you're raising and several plausible ways that address it have been proposed by players.

It's possible. It would be profitable.

Considering Daybreak is SSG's publishing partner, and Daybreak has had enormous commercial success in Everquest ONLY due to the TLP servers, this should have been implemented years ago.

I haven't played DDO in years. I just pop back in from time to time to see if they have finally opened their eyes to the only way to halt this games slow demise.

Community Member

We can't have a pre MotU server because the movie predates DDO by almost 20 years...

Let's go back to needing an item to level and ditching enhancement trees for the big, impossible to use system we had before. Also, EDs and Reaper would be gone. No Sharn or Ravenloft. How about having to do a quest to get to the market place! Blindness can go back to permanent until cured!
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Community Member

I would be in favour of a 3-month league with only heroic levels and no enhancement trees available (including reaper tree).

But if you mean a permanent "classic" server, I think it would require more discussion about what it did or did not include.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast