Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Gnome Arcanotechnicians are my favorite build. I ran it like 7 times on two characters for Gnome and Artificer past lives. Mobs immune to electricity are annoying though.

Default Why???

Why is this even a topic? Who care what everyone is playing? Who cares what build are left out? I have never played Vistanti, or inquisitive.... or vanguard or .... what?? I have 106 past lives and never played ARTI! Who cares?
    Just play what you like to play and have fun... let the devs go their thing and you do yours...

Quote Originally Posted by awar1234 View Post
    Why is this even a topic? Who care what everyone is playing? Who cares what build are left out? I have never played Vistanti, or inquisitive.... or vanguard or .... what?? I have 106 past lives and never played ARTI! Who cares?
    Just play what you like to play and have fun... let the devs go their thing and you do yours...

has to do something with this

Community Member

personally enjoying my evo druid. There's a handful of quests where he really struggles, and the sharn stuff can be tricky with all them high reflex saves mobs, but if I take it slow and steady then there's not much he can't handle.

On Orien I rarely or virtually never see these classes. IMO it's probably telling that need to be looked at. With the new feat for throwing weapons that may help alleviate one problem.

Rogue - Acrobat
    Monk - Stick fighters & Ninja spy
    Rangers - Bows
    Cleric & FVS Melee dps
    Paladin - Melee dps
    Throwers - any class
    Artifer - Melee

Community Member

I saw an Archmage last night. I was amazed. He was a new player. He also casted a sigil of warding. Which looked really cool but I had never seen before. Nobody uses sigils even after they buffed them. Did they buff them I can't even tell?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    Yeah, evocation druids have decent single target damage (more so on bosses due to dots) but their damage just can't match a sorcerer, or even most wizards, warlocks, or fvs.
    Single target they can match fire sorcs, it's the big room wipers where they can't. Glacial Wrath, Creeping Cold and a few others are really good damage in water form for much the same reason fire spells are so good on sorcs. I know an evo druid that hits 100% crit chance at a big multiplier for big damage, was hilarious watching him blow up champs and boss's. The issue was that druids rely on cold and lightening spells and there simply isn't the same kind of AoE blast power as what fire spells have. The ones that can do AoE damage tend to have shorter ranges and can't be spammed, so when fire sorcs can run into a room and just blast everything apart, water druids need to be more careful to snipe out dangerous mobs first while using earthquake to stop the rest. Good part is that their primary CC earthquake is evo just like their nukes so no need to worry about different tree's. The bigger problem by far is the ED limitation of Primal Avatar, it's just very ~meh~ compared to Incarnation or Magister. Druids gotta choose either DC's, Spell Crits or Caster Level while Sorcs can get most of it in one tree. If I had an "update" button I'd just put Druids on all the fire / cold / lightening spells that Wizards get like Polar Ray, Freezing Sphere, Chain Lightening and so forth. Offensive druid magic has always been elemental in nature so mind as well give them some punch.

Quote Originally Posted by K_9 View Post
    On Orien I rarely or virtually never see these classes. IMO it's probably telling that need to be looked at. With the new feat for throwing weapons that may help alleviate one problem.

Rogue - Acrobat
    Monk - Stick fighters & Ninja spy
    Rangers - Bows
    Cleric & FVS Melee dps
    Paladin - Melee dps
    Throwers - any class
    Artifer - Melee
    I have 14 characters, I have more or less retired several of them including my elven AA pure ranger, and my rogue acrobat, I still play my melee paladin but I know she's incredibly meh compared to most of my other characters. The game has changed from fighting small groups of mobs (3-6) to fighting a horde around every corner (8-12+), in nearly every hallway, behind every door in most newer quests. If your character is not setup to confront and decimate these absurdly large groups of mobs in nearly every recent encounter, then the play-style of that character feels underwhelming or under-performing. But perhaps its not so much that the character is power-poor as that newer dungeons are created by DMs with an over-zealous mob pack stamping tool pasting them down like racks of pool balls.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    I have 14 characters, I have more or less retired several of them including my elven AA pure ranger, and my rogue acrobat, I still play my melee paladin but I know she's incredibly meh compared to most of my other characters. The game has changed from fighting small groups of mobs (3-6) to fighting a horde around every corner (8-12+), in nearly every hallway, behind every door in most newer quests. If your character is not setup to confront and decimate these absurdly large groups of mobs in nearly every recent encounter, then the play-style of that character feels underwhelming or under-performing. But perhaps its not so much that the character is power-poor as that newer dungeons are created by DMs with an over-zealous mob pack stamping tool pasting them down like racks of pool balls.
    Oh oh I have a solution for this, on Paladin at least. I recently finished a bunch of Divine eTR's while playing a 20 Paladin and found a really awesome way to go about it that matches Paladin's strengths. Single Weapon Fighting Longsword, appropriate deity, KT with an off hand orb (devotion spell power). KoTC and Defender tree's and Divine Crusader as the destiny. No remorse makes it such that anything nearby that dies, with a stack of purity on it, heals *everyone* for HP equal to CR * Heal Amp. Consecration heals everyone, gives a 10% damage boost to your party along with applying stacks of purification, the Aura of Purification applies a stack every 3s and any crits you do also apply a stack including crits on cleaves and dire charge. Basically you rush forward and charge / drop a circle and get as many stacks as possible while doing moderate damage, the rest of the DPS finish the mobs off and get constant healing as they do so. Basically the Paladin becomes a melee support DPS and works extremely well until about R8-10 where mobs start one / two shoting everyone so no amount of healing helps. Biggest issue I see is people trying to play THF Paladin, which is a disaster as that's putting the worst DPS style with one of the weaker DPS class's and then wondering why it does so badly. SWF does much better while also offering another gear slot for set bonus's / ect.

Ninja spy

Acrobat

Arcane archer

Caster druid
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Ninja spy

Acrobat

Arcane archer

Caster druid
    T5 warpriest/warsouls. Haven't seen a single one, and no wonder their t5 is absolutely bad. Heck I think I've seen amoulating strike ONCE since the pass. I've seen radiant far more often and those are rare these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    I have definitely not seen many weaponized melee monks, so ninjas and WSS builds even after Knight's Training. I am, of course, running one on Cannith
    currently prepping an alt for one, too

13 monk/6kensei/1 take your pick of trapping, runspeed or in my case nightshield and minor heal (lacking aasimar),
    SWF+KT,
    WIS based + birdy tree,
    kensei so I have free choice of weapon and can experiment with it.
    squeezed in stunning blow and geared for combat mastery too so it offers a wealth of single target CC plus the bird aoe + laters in epics gmof stuffs

heroic the adamantine ore longsword -> axe of adaxus, epic ->drow longsword -> epic axe of adaxus -> defiler raid longsword -> unsure at cap, won't farm out a KT raid longsword for the alt ...

since I lack PRR EPLs on this one I've been running it to 15 in heavy armor with orb - about to switch over to monk stuff as soon as I get my last piece of heroic part of the family farmed out ...
    even without the monk goodies the SWF wis based + bird is decent - not for reaper solos but for layed back elite solo and doing ok in r1 speedpug.

I'm thinking at cap, geared out, with some few tomes +5 and some few EPLs it would be a fun option for elite -r2, if it pans out i'll rerun in on my main with more PL and Reaper Points behind it.

anyways, there's a few things up top there that just offer too comfy leveling 1-20 or endgame utility or both to not be run by a lot of people. - then, there's a few things that currently aren't run much, both already mentioned above ...

but yeah, just chiming in, there are some options inbetween that work if you aren't aiming for mid-high skulls and are fine in the leet-r2 range

so in that sense what steelstar said in discord somewhere some time ago, that allegedly the overall class balance has improved in the sense that you can make something relatively decent out of almost any class - this isn't wrong as such - however, this goes for people with 36 points, some EPLs, some strategically well used +5 or +6 tome to unlock your IPS, combat archery or to make str tactics work on a wis build for r1 etc and slap your prefarmed sharn/RL/slavers sets atop and u good to go - these kind of builds often are supported or use as primary a universal tree and style ...

but

for neglected alts, or newbies, the divide between those strong things that you can work with on a first life, low or no tome, no HP/PRR/MRR/tactics PL bonuses with some success and level fast and get some rxp on the one hand - and some classes and trees that lacking additional benefits just end in suffering and frustration on the other hand is quite more pronounced.

and those sorta inbetween builds that aren't weak as such but not aspiring for high skulls by design, they likewise aren't pulled off well without a combo of helpful things ...

if this is overall satisfying or not depends on expectations on the player side, and on the design goals on the dev side.

by and large vets(and also "casual" vets) CAN run almost anything for their 1-20 r1s, with some minor care in building, race choice and gearing.

by and large, some fun, non super min maxed builds CAN be made to work, again, with some care, some gear, and some added PLs and tomes and trees and a synergizing payed class preferably

by and large for newbies or super old alts, one is somewhat pointed towards buying into the FOM trees and class or live with better solo hard only or elite max in group on other builds

think that's more or less where we stand...

I do feel it would be nice if some less run things could be made more workable with less investment in PLs/tome/gear/race/universals but I also have a feeling that the fact that so far this is not happening is WAI and part of the intended monetizing structure contained in the so called balance ...
    Last edited by Eryhn; 11-04-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Assasin/Occult slayer/Warchanter is pretty nice. Pretty straightforward for any type of player. Add and remove any type of enhancement and as much levels as you wish from any class.

Some virtual flavor from Blade Dancer and Blade Singer prestige classes of D&D with additional special damage types, special defensive tricks also physical and spiritual resistances from Occult slayer.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Bladedancer_(5e_Class)
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Blade_Singer_(5e_Class)

This build has hidden treasures. Much less feats compared to Human fighter but, I enjoy Drow Two weapon fighting/Ranged variant lately. Can pick up any type of weapons an style actually.

Good for solo and team action.

my favourite build

least times seen

swf deathnip centered monk

quite bizarre damage, must say lol (it was when earth had the extra damage, wonder which stance which i would go now)
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    my favourite build

least times seen

swf deathnip centered monk

quite bizarre damage, must say lol (it was when earth had the extra damage, wonder which stance which i would go now)
    Done it. Lame hits but crazy crits.

2014 DDO Players Council

Evocation Druid - I've seen maybe a handful of these guys around in the last few months. Nowadays everybody is looking for mass hold, not earthquake...
    For good reason. Earthquake is in the same position as, say, Otto's Dancing Sphere. The Reaper reduction in duration isn't applied in a way that makes them effective tactics at all. Mass Hold still lasts a fairly long time, but the Earthquake or dance ball vanish out of existence almost instantly on high skulls. I understand why duration is reduced, but "persistent" effects like dance ball and Earthquake need to have their duration not be reduced as much in order for them to be worth casting at all, compared with "instant" CC like Mass Hold or BoGW.

Spellsinger Bard - As this is what my main is, I can definitely say it's an acquired taste to take on a full support role. You have a plethora of crowd control options and plenty of buffs and healing to go around, but your damage is rock bottom...
    My main is not, hasn't been lately, nor is planning to become a Bard, but I've run some alts that way. I think a Spellsinger, if you have that taste, is a lot of fun, and is super-useful to a group. I always love it when a Spellsinger joins the party.
    Last edited by SirValentine; 11-04-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Played a pure evocation druid on Hardcore because they are hard to kill even with garbage gear on a first life. Did 1750 favor with the druid, wasn't even going to try for 5000, that's too much work for me. Played a warforged 18/2 wiz/rog evocation archmage on Hardcore also. I wasn't playing past level 20 on them, so they were both fine for my purposes on Hardcore. They were both fun, but on live servers, there are better/faster builds to play for doing racials and such.

Community Member

I like arcanotech , played it a bit , then decide tier 5 in battle engineer is much nicer. but still kept teir 4 arcanotech . focused on metamagic'd potion throwing . the electric spells rocked thru herioc , with canith crafted elecrtic spellpower gear . I liked playing it . but after awhile i did'nt like how the lightning spells messed with my eyes . was tanky , could heal all day . and do some spell aoe stun , but that became pretty useless in epic . tried to have high enough int to make CC from prisimatic strike. and tactical detonation but just wasnt happening. even with sharn set . but yeah i was the only arti i saw that didnt use xbows. except from tank artis i guess

classes i see least of ,--- pallys , barbs , fighters , monks , clerics ,fvs

I have not seen or played a arcanotech based arti on Cannith in quite a while.
    Same for henshin monk
    Same for ninja monk And I mean a heavy ap invest in Ninja like Ninja dummies popping up in quests heavy.
    Same for Thief acrobat rouges, like pole vaulting t-5 thief acrobats.
    Divines especially clerics are becoming more scarce.

Bards of all stripes seem to be having a resurgence on cannith at any rate. The pali count on cannith has always been pretty high it may have dipped some lately but not a bottom 5 popularity class. I have done several raids lately where I had the only arti icon which is unusual from my experience. But I wasn't on the only character rocking two crossbows.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Community Member

Since a sorc/wiz has almost twice the dps after the spell pass, it is difficult to motivate using the other casters outside of HC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast