Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default U44 Preview 1: Keep on the Borderlands

Disclaimer
    Everything seen on the preview server, Lamannia, is not final and is subject to change or removal before live release.

Update 44 is expected to debut DDO's newest classic pack: Keep on the Borderlands! This adventure pack comes in both a heroic level 1-2 variant and an epic level 21-22 variant. To access the Keep on the Borderlands on the preview server (if you are not a VIP), simply speak to Lord Poincelot in the center island of the Test Dojo to be granted preview server specific DDO points and then "purchase" the Keep on the Borderlands Adventure Pack in the Low Level Adventure Packs section of the DDO Preview Store. You can then do any of the following in order to be transported to the Borderlands:

• Create a new character, complete the grotto, and speak to "Kregan the Gatekeeper" in Korthos Village.
    • Speak to "The Questgiver" in the center island of the Test Dojo.
    • Speak to "Kregan the Gatekeeper" in the Eberron Hall of Heroes.

Keep on the Borderlands is expected to contain, when released on live: A new public area, an adventure area, and 8 dungeons. In this preview, however, only the public area, adventure area, and the following 4 dungeons are available to preview:

• Caged Beasts 1/21
    • The Bugbear Bandits 1/21
    • Treasure Hunt 1/21
    • Watch Your Step 1/21

Known Issues
    • A final XP pass has not yet been done.
    • There is a large amount of placeholder text in the quest journal
    • Load screens are all placeholder
    • There are a few platforms in the public area with no physics
    • Fire Beetles currently look suspiciously mechanical.
    • Keep landscape: Irganon spawn behaving strangely
    • The Bugbear Bandits: Creatures drop treasure bags
    • The Bugbear Bandits: There is a slave with placeholder action text
    • Watch Your Step: Optional objective can't be completed if you kill the Kobold Chief first then talk to the Kobold Crone
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

The map tooltip in the Hall of Heroes says "Cerra the Gatekeeper"

Edit: oh, wait, that's for Legendary Slave Lords. There's no tooltop for Kregan the Gatekeeper, then.

The wilderness area is beautiful
    looking forward to this being released

Doing the quests on epic with a level 23 character. Everything hits INSANELY hard and has INSANELY high saves--even with a magister build they just ignore my spells and make pretty much every saving throw effortlessly, and this is on a full completionist--racial, epic, heroic--character.

To be level-appropriate the damage should be reduced to about 1/3 and their saving throws reduced bigtime.

I died fighting Graymurk in Caged Beast and it vanished and would not come out to fight again.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 10-29-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    Doing the quests on epic with a level 23 character. Everything hits INSANELY hard and has INSANELY high saves--even with a magister build they just ignore my spells and make pretty much every saving throw effortlessly, and this is on a full completionist--racial, epic, heroic--character.

To be level-appropriate the damage should be reduced to about 1/3 and their saving throws reduced bigtime.

I died fighting Graymurk in Caged Beast and it vanished and would not come out to fight again.
    Can confirm. I had to run them on hard.

This pack is exactly the type of content I have been missing. A wilderness area, public area and quests you actually have to travel to. It resembles older packs like Red Fens, Vale, Gianthold in that way. I love the new shrines (can we get all Eberron shrines replaced with these?) The quests are beautiful and look like actual Monster dens and not just video game levels. Well done! The explorer area has a great old school classic D&D feel to it and the grass is actually connected to the ground and not floating above it (which is what Turbine used to do) My only gripe is the first 4 quests are extremely simple and short. I hope the second chain offers more.
    Last edited by Satyriasys; 10-29-2019 at 07:04 PM.

In the wilderness zone, I couldn't pick up the spider crest beside Treewalker (You are on server 11 at r3 lx401 ly1611 i22 ox30.85 oy62.19 oz268.86 h205.3. Game timestamp 25335.280.) because it was blocked.

The wilderness quest listing describes the rare as "Glublub the Rank" but his actual name is "Grublub"

The fungus at r3 lx436 ly1683 i22 ox96.07 oy70.41 oz246.45 h344.5 is inside the ground and inaccessible.

The fungus at r3 lx381 ly1625 i4 ox100.30 oy30.55 oz246.39 h251.7 is also inside the ground and inaccesible.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 10-29-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Default oh no they di'int

a better shot

Self-Appointed Coin Lord of the Seas ForgettableNPC's Avatar
    VillageTown of GenericLand of ThatOneContinent.

I'm sorry, level 1?

I am confused and intrigued.
    Just a random, forgettable NPC doing things an NPC does
    Things that NPCs do include, but are not limited to:

Having a gold goblet over my head to indicate availability of a quest
    Having a catchphrase that never really catches on
    Having various rewards that are generally not worth the trouble
    Wandering around randomly
    Giving out obvious information if it wasn't obvious enough
    Repeating the same lines over and over again
    Repeating the same lines over and over again

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Unable to enter wilderness, loading screen hangs up with full blue bar.

Tried korthos and dojo entrances with same result.

Filed bug report.

Copied a toon, same problem.

Leveled to epic, same problem.

PS The Mounts are nice.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 10-30-2019 at 01:38 AM.

There are Sharn worker constructs in the heroic wilderness ....
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurge View Post
    a better shot

devs, after these words appear, have a wraith appear that says, "Doom!"
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (4), Naerfelka (21)

Here, 2 coppers
    If you use them, then they won't cover your eyes

I remember this as a kid
    Using Gary's platonic solids, we called them dice
    You know, mtg was done by a mathematician too
    but here,
    Make the loot ml1, but ml5 power
    Make Keep free

Everything under 5 is garbage numbers
    All you need is feather fall, run speed and a vorpal
    All those lives I ran? I didn't even put stuff on till 5
    Invalidate low level items? Nobody farms that stuff anyhow,
    And it's like a couple hours to 5
    So,
    Give the dog a bone.
    You're planting your flag in this quest
    If your gonna be proud enough to plant that,
    You should mark this as a turn
    Super ml1 loot that is good till 5
    Like legacy stuff
    Mark your legacy
    And free?
    You might get some ppl back
    It was one of the first modules I ever remember running
    You could advertise it, if you do that kind of thing
    And make keep like your default starter area
    Retire korThos and turn that page too

Oh, and **** ponies
    13 years...

Should be riding cows
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Both the Keep and the surrounding wilderness explorer area look incredible. This may be the first genuine castle we've had in DDO (not counting a few quests such as 'To Curse the Sky'). I ran several of the quests and they were solid low level content.

I'm very much looking forward to running Keep on the Borderlands once it hits the live servers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurge View Post
    a better shot

"A ring of enchanted stones stand in a ring." You may want to revise that sentence to eliminate the redundancy.

a) Everything in Borderlands bears the mark of Lag Monster. :-(

b) Wilderness is nice but it's huge for no reason. And empty. There is absolutely nothing to do in the wilderness zone, even the quests' entrances are nicely grouped in one zone, why is it so big ?

c) Quests are, ok, I guess. Small, quick, introductory level. They have a good variety of mechanics to show for a new player : traps, levers, hidden doors, puzzles, etc. And the named loot chances look good too. But... Why all the dungeons have a ceiling that low ? >_> No, really, I understand we are going through the caverns, but those quests made me claustrophobic. Plus, sometimes it's a way too hard ! Are you expecting lvl 1 players playing in lvl 35 CCrafting gear or something ? O_o

From the other hand, thanks to all D&D gods, in the Borderlands, we can see our quests items (keys, sigils, etc.) back in our bags once more ! I thought we won't see it ever again since after the Ravenloft, no new quests put quests items into inventory. Glad to see it back.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Human_Cypher View Post
    "A ring of enchanted stones stand in a ring." You may want to revise that sentence to eliminate the redundancy.
    I agree, tautologous. 'Enchanted stones stand in a ring' conveys everything you need.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKernel View Post
    From the other hand, thanks to all D&D gods, in the Borderlands, we can see our quests items (keys, sigils, etc.) back in our bags once more ! I thought we won't see it ever again since after the Ravenloft, no new quests put quests items into inventory. Glad to see it back.
    Well that's pretty bad. I loved the "virtual" quest items. No more hassle about "Who has voice" and "who picked up the key" and **** like that.

Community Member dragons1ayer74's Avatar

Some things are great others not so much.

Walking up to the keep the first time is fantastic better than I could have imagined it; so initial impression is fantastic once you arrive.

Getting here is so terrible for a 1st level character if I am Vip or buy the pack I want the ability to start here and not even have to skip past Korthos or run the Jeets cave quest and then transport here I want this as a starting area choice so I can start directly in this area.

My first level paladin got the quests and died on the way to the quest done in by a single swam of gnats in the explorer area. I was at full 45 HP almost beat the single swarm but feel these might be over performing at heroic level as prior to this I had fought bears, goblins, wolfs and wolf riders but was killed by a swarm of flies. Will attempt again later with a fresh level 1 and try to avoid the flies.

Next went in with my level 26 completionist got the quests; first up Kobold Caves Epic Elite dungeon level CR26 boy is that wrong. Please make this content feel more in line with an epic level difficulty not a legendary difficulty most monsters are CR 51 to CR63 I died 8 times, the quest took 16 minutes and was a horrid experience not fun at all. Rats biting for 250HP a nip and not missing with a 90AC and 100PRR. I can play Legendary COGs quests at this difficulty that are easier and faster this is just so wrong. If this scaling stays as is these quests will never be touched again which is sad because I was so excited to see new low-level epic quests to help add variety to the epic grind.
    Last edited by dragons1ayer74; 10-30-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Monsters being too hard on epic is a known issue. We're fixing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast