Default Suggestion for Next HC League

Let me start by saying I've really enjoyed the HC league and I have been playing almost exclusively on the HC server since it opened. What I would really like to see next time is a system that rewards players for playing time, not just for hitting specific milestones. I found that level 20 and 1750 favor were relatively easy to accomplish (done within the first two weeks), but those are the only milestones I have been able to achieve. I've tried a couple of times for the 5k favor and found that grinding out every single quest is just not an enjoyable way for me to play, and 5k favor just seems like a huge mountain to climb and I know I will probably not get there before the server is shut down.

What I suggest for the next HC league is keeping all existing rewards for those who enjoyed those challenges, but also creating a crafting system (pretty much like every other event) and awarding currency based on character levels achieved, say every five levels you get x number of tokens (bta), then trade the tokens in at a barter box for rewards. These rewards should be separate from the favor/reaper xp rewards so the latter don't lose their uniqueness. A system like this will allow people to play as much as they like to work towards a goal, even across multiple toons, all the way up to the last day of the event.

Instead of starting another thread, I'll add thoughts I had on the Hardcore League here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres_Tacos View Post
    Let me start by saying I've really enjoyed the HC league and I have been playing almost exclusively on the HC server since it opened. What I would really like to see next time is a system that rewards players for playing time, not just for hitting specific milestones. I found that level 20 and 1750 favor were relatively easy to accomplish (done within the first two weeks), but those are the only milestones I have been able to achieve. I've tried a couple of times for the 5k favor and found that grinding out every single quest is just not an enjoyable way for me to play, and 5k favor just seems like a huge mountain to climb and I know I will probably not get there before the server is shut down.
    From late October I stopped playing on HC for pretty much the same reason, to reach the 5000 favor would mean pretty well writing off RL for the period, which I just can't afford. I did play quite a bit and achieved some goals but after the last death it became an 'available time vs. big goal' issue. I was thinking that for next time it would be really good to have some late event goals or a unique short term achievements that were only available during the last 2 weeks to keep interest there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres_Tacos View Post
    What I suggest for the next HC league is keeping all existing rewards for those who enjoyed those challenges, but also creating a crafting system (pretty much like every other event) and awarding currency based on character levels achieved, say every five levels you get x number of tokens (bta), then trade the tokens in at a barter box for rewards. These rewards should be separate from the favor/reaper xp rewards so the latter don't lose their uniqueness. A system like this will allow people to play as much as they like to work towards a goal, even across multiple toons, all the way up to the last day of the event.
    Some sort of crafting system might be interesting, it would be a lot of work to put together for a small portion of the overall community so not too sure about that. Some sort of token turn in for prizes might work better, that might be useful in maintaining interest until the end of the event also. I find for other events like the Night Revels, I am in there until the last minute trying to get that last item that way.

Overall I really enjoyed the the hardcore league and will be back in there for next time with a better idea on planning for goal achievement!
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

Community Member

Thumbs up Rip...

...Armoured Cavalry, Psychotic, Lunattack, Lunatic, Dieranged, Dranged, Armored Cavalry, Handsolow, Tattoo Freak, Klockwork Orange and Yuckmouth!

WAS A FN BLAST and cant wait till the next one...with that said:

Things I would like to see (or as-is the case for some, not see) next season and please just make a perma perma.

1. No Sharn boarding passes, if you need to get out of dodge there are various methods available to everyone in game and with a little planning (cant have it all) are easily accessible. Since you thought to include a LB, it should go without saying this is a no-no.

2. No Pre-Order Goodies, +1 Profane Bonus to all skill masks make a huge difference early, +3/2 Skill Bonus tomes make a huge difference early, running around with 3-4 hirelings makes a difference, Gold Rolls Daily can make a huge difference...anything else Im forgetting about.

3. The cost of DDO store items needs to be reduced for this type of server and reduced severely (or just remove the store all together) as we all saw the level 20 sorc what the first day or week, whatever it was...fat pockets make a huge difference.

4. Think how much of an advantage the person who has all of the above...basically anything that everyone else cant access needs to be worked on in a competitive environment and having added Hall of Fame lists MAKES it competitive for those who care about being immortalized on the surface of their favorite past-time. Alternately, instead of removing all those items...

...give everyone one of the most current hire you made (should probably start selling pre-order goodies in the DDO store anyway). Arcane get Construct, Primal the Panther, etc...you cant raise in HC but everyone has a boarding pass for oh, **** moments (still think its a bad idea, but its fair)...everyone gets a HC cosmetic mask with +1 profane skills as a token of participating...remove the DDO store but give everyone Gold Rolls Daily (doubt you'd do this, I wouldnt, but then remove it from everyone).

All these pre-order goodies have been bought, paid for and used in fair trade on the casual servers they were intended and have no place in the HC "competitive" environment.

5. Personally, I think the rewards should be limited to the character they are earned on.

6. @Silverleafeon should be recognized for their contribution to the first HC league (at a minimum for losing two ships, but really because they did so much for so many, asking for nothing in return)

7. I would like to SEE more reward categories...

Queen/King of the Hill: (UNIQUE Crown if you're on top of BOTH LB)

Top of the World Ma: (Cosmetic/Feat for Lvl 30)

Whoops I did it again: (Cosmetic/Feat for Reincarnation)

All in together now: (Cosmetic/Feat layering for accomplishments on one character, i.e. reaper cloak w/red scarf combined...red scarf w/purple trim {epic reincarnation}...reaper cloak w/purple trimmed red scarf...)

8. Almost forgot...THANK YOU @cordovan and ALL the DDO staff!

SEE YOU NEXT SEASON (and a brief visit to transfer of course!)
    Kehgeld of Sarlona

If I couldn’t have used any preorder goodies I wouldn’t have bought them and SSG would be out $. So there’s that.

But those bonuses mean literally squat against friends to run with, time to run, knowledge of the quests and player skill. Literally nothing.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Tat2Freak View Post

6. @Silverleafeon should be recognized for their contribution to the first HC league (at a minimum for losing two ships, but really because they did so much for so many, asking for nothing in return)

[/FONT]
    +1

The points I strongly agree with from Tat2Freak are:

and

8. Almost forgot...THANK YOU @cordovan and ALL the DDO staff!
    Beyond that, any advantage from possible store bought items was very slight, for what little was available ultimately death comes to the unfortunate in a very balanced way - when you die...you die.

I liked the competitive categories, I thought they were fine. I wouldn't mind SSG adding more but don't see them as needed.

Good ideas though! Community feedback will make for a better HC server next time around.
    Start cross server trading and profit!
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

To increase the challenge:-

Only one toon alive (not in land of lost souls) at a time.

No shared bank.

In fact no bank (Kundarak pulled out because of Mortality collecting banker's souls)

No guilds (big thanks to all the guild leaders but especially Open Guild for All. You rocked it and helped the community outfox the devs again. Mu-ha-ha-ha)

This removes some of the mitigations players have used to get round hardcore terror/brown pants syndrome.

But overall loved it. After several deaths had built up cash/bank stuff bequests to allow later toons to succeed, despite slow reactions/panic attacks/general rubbishness.

Each quest once only. You choose your difficulty and takes yer chances.

I will have to mostly agree,

Being competitive, it needs to be fair, and the store makes it decidedly UNFAIR.

Here is what I would do for the HC server only

Close the store completely.
    Give everyone equal access to all expansions, even if they normally would not have it.
    No pre-order goodies (am still saying it even though I have a lot of pre-order goodies)

also - all events should be active...everyone can use them so is fair.

EVERY PLAYER on the HC server should have EXACTLY equal access.

No buying maxed out guild ships on day one

EQUAL <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< for all players there.

off my soap box.
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

Community Member

Default Hc-i & hc-ii

I just hope that they allow us some way to combine our rewards so if you got a cloak for reaching lv20 this year, and do it again next time. You can have a cloak with both the HQ-I and HC-II on it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moeballah View Post
    I just hope that they allow us some way to combine our rewards so if you got a cloak for reaching lv20 this year, and do it again next time. You can have a cloak with both the HQ-I and HC-II on it.
    Indeed, was hoping for a II Skull on my sash as well. +1
    Kehgeld of Sarlona

My biggest and likely my only real beef with the HC Server is
    that it is pay to win.

It will never really be a fair event until they fix that.

Will still play it, it is fun. But it is not fair.
    Planescape City of Doors for DDO endgame. Even dying in certain places can create new adventures.

sadly I don't agree that the tomes and pets made much of a of a differance considering even on the low end WITHOUT my + tomes I was still finding/disabling traps with no issues even on a 1 serval levels under with found gear. and the people who got to 20 in the first few weeks short of the rumor that some one rolled their way to 20 isn't doing them anything as they lost out on gear on that toon. and the only thing they got out of it was what they rolled and the cloak.

also disabling the store would be no access to the large ships cause shards also means no astal shard ship buff's which means unless you got a guild in a month thats over 80 good luck getting anything good cause even open didn't get to 100 I think in those 3 months. so ya... also if you really want a challenge disable access to the guild system cause ya ship buffs help A lot on the low end (30 resists lvl 1-8 quests not much short of a few quests does any thing short of a major trap do anything) which good luck then cause I doubt you would see anyone then let alone see who is on with out a friends list that is constantly saying PLEASE SPECIFY CHARACTER.....

also gold rolls don't help that much out side of the XP they gave.... and even then there is SO much XP on a first life that we were constantly xp capped after level 7 quests. I'd wager that it was about the same for 2nd lifers after lvl 10 and 12 for 3rds.

should also mention that no shards means no chest re rolls AT ALL cause they require astal shards..
    tepidus flamma of amicitia mos usquequaque persevero ustulo in nostrum pectus pectoris pro totus infinitio

Quote Originally Posted by fatherpirate View Post
    I will have to mostly agree,

Being competitive, it needs to be fair, and the store makes it decidedly UNFAIR.

Here is what I would do for the HC server only

Close the store completely.
    Give everyone equal access to all expansions, even if they normally would not have it.
    No pre-order goodies (am still saying it even though I have a lot of pre-order goodies)

also - all events should be active...everyone can use them so is fair.

EVERY PLAYER on the HC server should have EXACTLY equal access.

No buying maxed out guild ships on day one

EQUAL <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< for all players there.

off my soap box.
    As far I can see everyone does have equal access to everything available in this Game. Buy it or Earn it. Makes no difference how you gained access to it.

Nothing in any competitive event is fair other than the shared rules that everyone is going to bend and push as far as they can to maximize their chance and odds to win by pushing into the gray and charcoal areas that the rules don't specifically prohibit.

With your thought process everyone should have access to all the enhancement tress, races, classes, shared bank, challenges, and anything else that is not included with a VIP subscription. ( this could encourage people to buy them on the regular servers or simply farm out the items they want and never buy the packs since they got what they wanted and transferred it to their main server account )

If your going to remove the store lets go ahead and remove all guilds, rest shrines, hirelings, extra character slots, vendors ( weapons, ammo, scrolls, pots, spell components, wands, augments, collectible trade in's, etc.... )

There isn't much difference between the highest plat ship and the highest Astral ship save the level lockout mechanism which if the 3 or 4 levels per day lockout were removed several guilds would have been farther up at the end anyway.
    Having given away well over a million in plat myself it would have been easy enough to buy the largest plat airship several times over.

The hardcore server event should be run when no other events are active at all as far as I am concerned so as not to take focus away from those events and encourage people who have left the game an opportunity to come back and find some new friends to run with and start playing on a regular basis again.
    Main 100+ Lives ( 42/42 HTR - 15/21 ITR - 39/48 ETR - 12/14 RAP - 30/36 RTR - 89/158 ), Jynxer - Completionist ( 22/42 HTR - 7/21 ITR - 12/36 ETR - 2/14 RAP - 1/36 RTR - 36/158 ), SoulDuster - Completionist ( 15x HTR 3x ETR 20/158 ) BlakReign - 1st Life Reaper https://ibb.co/album/k1hMqa https://ibb.co/album/g0yuAa https://ibb.co/album/bXjCWF

Default Nothing

No more hardcore until they merge the servers, period!

Buy it or earn it...not always true

you can not 'earn' premium guild ships, you have to buy them
    you can not 'earn' sharn or any other premium module, you have to buy it
    you can not 'earn' premium permanent hirelings ... you have to buy campaign bundles

so that doesn't wash

or earn it....sounds good but not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Komradkillingmachine View Post
    No more hardcore until they merge the servers, period!
    I am all for that ! cram everyone into like 2 servers, then you can open
    up the HC server full time and I will never have to play in those other 2 servers...make my day.

I am all for that ! cram everyone into like 2 servers, then you can open
    up the HC server full time and I will never have to play in those other 2 servers...make my day.
    From the sound of it, I wouldn't want to be caught in the same server as the gimps like you...

Community Member

Buy it or earn it...not always true

you can not 'earn' premium guild ships, you have to buy them
    you can not 'earn' sharn or any other premium module, you have to buy it
    you can not 'earn' premium permanent hirelings ... you have to buy campaign bundles

so that doesn't wash

or earn it....sounds good but not true.
    You are right about hirelings, somewhat right about modules, and wrong on ships.
    Permanent gold seal hirelings are pure form of pay to win, since you can not earn them.
    You can buy all other modules, but not Menace or Wheloon.. You can buy ravenloft and sharn adventures with earned points. (most would say that MotU or Shadowfell Conspiracy are no longer considered as "Premium" modules)
    I have a Premium ship with everything, and I have never bought any shards. How to do it? Just get monster manual with astral shard payout, when you get your first shard, you are all set to sell things in ASAH. Took me about 3 months to get enough shards for the biggest ship, but it was a lot faster, than grind guild favor to get the platinum ship… So definetly 'earnable'.

But as you said: Earning all is not true (atm), but not gamebreaking either, since you can play without gold hires (try to party? or use your shards to get gold seals).. and the packs you can not buy with points are not that important, even tho they have a nice storyline and some nice(ish) gear for low epics.